Who is to blame for the Summer of inactivity?

Unbelievable Jeff

Indeed, the sheer complacency being shown to the situation drives me absolutely stark staring mad.

This is NOT last season where we could shrug and excuse the poor start on the teams we were playing.

Last year we knew about clear weaknesses in the team but failed to strengthen in the right areas, once again we have followed the same strategy.

I warned people that this would happen back in May, and you included Alpine, had a go at me. Well....

Last year we knew about clear weaknesses in the team but failed to strengthen in the right areas, once again we have followed the same strategy.

I warned people that this would happen back in May, and you included Alpine, had a go at me. Well....

Come on Dalek, dont got OTT now. I didnt "have a go" at you.

Indeed, the sheer complacency of the situation drives me absolutely star staring mad. This is NOT last season where we could shrug and excuse the poor start on the teams we were playing.

IMO Saints are not being complacent on player recruitment. We appear to be actively searching given the number of times we hear our name associated with players. We have been unsuccessful to date with getting a striker, but successful with a CB and DM. That is not what i call complacent. That is substantively different from being complacent. Complacent is knowing you need players but just sitting on your hands doing nothing about it. We have two out of the three identified positions filled and tied up other players to longer contracts. Not complacent at all. Its supporters, the fickle lot that we are, being unrealistic and impatient about recruitment and have a limited understanding of whats really involved is much nearer the truth.

Some might be driven mad by the apparently inadequate recruitment situation but that is their problem. What I will comment on is that I think it highly unlikely that our professional premier league football manager plus coaches and transfer committee associates will be getting together upon a periodic basis and saying " no need to rush on upgrading the squad, we will be fine, in fact lets not even bother looking". I think they will be doing everything they can. They are being paid hundreds of thousands to do this as part of their job. We just comment on it from an amateur point of view.

As for not being able to score for toffee. Opinion accepted but I don't agree its as bad as that. Look at chances created. If we don't create chances - serious problem, if we do but do not convert them - still a problem but not as bad. Ours is the latter. I feel, like many, that we need another top notch striker but if we start with SRL and Jrod Im not unhappy.

Lee last summer??

Ok if you say so....

We all know you dont rate Ramirez, cause you prefer Terry Hurlock type of players.....

You dont think you can find two/three unsuccessful signings in ANY other team in PL then?

And you still (as usual) didn´t really answer the question.....how is it shambles when the target for that season is reached and even more than so....??

Really - Don't feed the skates...they're not literate or cogent enough to assemble a real argument:rolleyes:

I am interested in placing my Johnson between the very ample breasts of Christina Hendricks - does that make us linked ???

I'm sure, Damiao would have a say in the matter - would you offer the same opportunity to Ms Hendricks?

Assuming you answered the above with a yes (as it would be a slight to your character to assume otherwise), then do you feel that probability of Damiao or Osvaldo joining us is broadly equivalent to your odds with said actress?

I feel your interest, and our interest have slightly different likelihoods of success. Or should I say, if you honestly feel you have a 1 in 4 (my estimate) chance of success, surely you are on the wrong side of the Atlantic?

Funny old game isn't it, all these disappointed/angry people. I know there's a motivation to get in the comments early to look right later on, but am I the only one just quite chuffed at the quality we have? The defence has improved, and now has upgraded Jos with a player 10 times better. We've managed to keep Shaw, he and Clyne are another year experienced, Boruc is there from the start, Chambers has come through, Yoshi is here and settled, Cork is fit, there's extra quality at CM.

Maybe it just seems like positive white noise, but to me it all seems pretty positive and exciting.

Until you get to fact we are going to struggle to score on occasion. But, WTF, if you wet your pants at 0-0 bore draws, go fill yer boots..

Funny old game isn't it, all these disappointed/angry people. I know there's a motivation to get in the comments early to look right later on, but am I the only one just quite chuffed at the quality we have? The defence has improved, and now has upgraded Jos with a player 10 times better. We've managed to keep Shaw, he and Clyne are another year experienced, Boruc is there from the start, Chambers has come through, Yoshi is here and settled, Cork is fit, there's extra quality at CM.

Maybe it just seems like positive white noise, but to me it all seems pretty positive and exciting.

Yeah i spose. My #1 target was prob not to lose anyone important like Shaw or Morgan. My #2 requirement was to make it so Hooiveld gets less opportunities to score own goals + give away penalties. I weren't really thinking bout getting a better striker than Lambart till everyone on here said i deffo needed one.

Indeed, the sheer complacency being shown to the situation drives me absolutely stark staring mad.

This is NOT last season where we could shrug and excuse the poor start on the teams we were playing.

How do you know the club's being complacent about signings? Are you heavily involved in our transfer policy? Or are you just assuming that because you haven't read anything lately in the tabloids?

Melt.

This, exactly.

Yeah i spose. My #1 target was prob not to lose anyone important like Shaw or Morgan. My #2 requirement was to make it so Hooiveld gets less opportunities to score own goals + give away penalties. I weren't really thinking bout getting a better striker than Lambart till everyone on here said i deffo needed one.

Thing is Mr B, Ponch has previous for doing this with strikers at Espanyol, I suppose its a case of sorting the problem before it becomes one.

Espanyol got rid of Raúl Tamudo and got in Sergio García, they'd booted out the greatest goalscorer in their history (potentially Ricky) and replaced him with a bloke who was going to be good (Daimao/Osvaldo maybe)

I think we may get surprised on who Ponch thinks is expendable over the next 12 months (lallana maybe)

"For all the support, as the Spanish phrase has it, Pochettino doesn't get married to anyone; players are forced to remain on their toes, assured of nothing. As a player he was good friends with Raúl Tamudo and even shared investments with him but had no qualms about taking the captaincy off him and easing him to the door."

Good general article on him if your interested: http://www.footytube.com/news/guardian/espanyol-indebted-to-mauricio-pochettino-as-kids-show-their-worth-L5120

But it is also worth noting that Pochettino had different pressures at Espanyol. His accelerated blooding of kids and the revolving door of players was done through financial necessity. It was pretty much an annual thing of selling the better players and replacing them with 'moneyball' type signings and kids from the Academy. It worked very well for a while however there are now new pressures at Saints - no players sold and an expectation that we improve each year.

Where there is some confusion is what the club has a realistic ambition for and in what timescales. Publicly, from players and staff I've read Top Half and Top 6. It's a mixed message and even if something like Top 6 was said to show ambition it can mislead and set expectations - so what happens is when people are assessing our transfer business they do so with what they interpret the club has stated as the ambition. Therefore I think it is perfectly understandable that when fans read Top 6 coming out of the mouths of the club they seem to think we've not done enough in the transfer market (thus far) to justify that. I don't think we have the depth or know-how to achieve that personally.

However, if you were to remove those stated objectives from the criteria for assessing the transfer business then we've had a good summer thus far and ignoring European football etc., I'm happy as a fan. But people are absolutely right to question transfer business if the club are going to come out with statements that they believe they can improve 10 league positions in one season.

It tickles me that as its there for all to see, what do the clappers make of that? They airbrush it out of history when its staring right into the hole in their sandals.

More good news........ Players now being put off by our lack of ambition!!! :(

“He is wanted by several Premier League clubs. Southampton put in a request in the past, but Leandro Damiao has decided to target a more ambitious club.

Lets see the clappers spin this little number.

What's the solution to that then? You can lay out your plans to a player all you like, but you can't force them to buy into it. Besides which, a player saying they are after a more ambitious club is pure BS, they want a club that is successful now, not in a couple of years.

What's the solution to that then? You can lay out your plans to a player all you like, but you can't force them to buy into it. Besides which, a player saying they are after a more ambitious club is pure BS, they want a club that is successful now, not in a couple of years.

Ambition is great but you have to pay for success nowadays, its cynical, crude and awful but thats the truth, Ambrovich succeeded and they have always been a far larger club than us, the ONLY way to do is to spend millions so you buy the best and you keep the best, its simply wont happen and for a club our size simply not sustainable, a pipe dream, we are never in these times going to out spend Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal for any consistent period.

The clappers are simply delusional and not of this World.

Ambition is great but you have to pay for success nowadays, its cynical, crude and awful but thats the truth, Ambrovich succeeded and they have always been a far larger club than us, the ONLY way to do is to spend millions so you buy the best and you keep the best, its simply wont happen and for a club our size simply not sustainable, a pipe dream, we are never in these times going to out spend Liverpool, United, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal for any consistent period.

So why do the 'clappers' build up false hopes. When we are in the top league our ambition is one place above relegation, anything else is a bonus. What is wrong with that ?

Apps you saw a couple of friendly games . What were your honest opinions of all the players including Isgrove and the likes . Do we have a bright future . Please be objective with your appraisal of the players you saw . Forget about the actual games as they were warm up games . But you can tell a lot about positional sense speed etc

I agree, the only way to guarantee world class signings is to throw ludicrous amounts of cash about, I don't want that, and I haven't seen many others advocating it either.

What I don't understand is that it is you that keeps banging the drum about the failed transfer window, when I don't see it as such. We've kept our best players and improved upon the squad with the two signings we have made, I'm sure that if we sign another player they will also improve our starting eleven. This is what we need to do, keep maintaining progression each season. If our progression starts to stall then by all means start taking the **** out of "Nicky and Lesley," they haven't put much of a foot wrong yet. You seem to believe that Cortese has made some sort of guarantee of European football to you, he hasn't.

How has this thread - one of the most ridiculously titled bed-wetting threads in the history of this ridiculous bed-wetting forum - reached 6 pages? There is no inactivity, we just haven't sewn up the signing of a striker that almost everyone agrees we need. Utterly insane thread and comments.

Arsenal haven't signed anyone of note including top target Suarez

Spurs haven't definitely retained bale

Liverpool haven't definitely retained Suarez

Man U haven't signed baines, Fellaini, Ronaldo or fabregas (all allegedly targets) or definitely retained Rooney

Chelsea haven't signed Rooney, or much else

We are hardly alone in not having finished our business. And thanks to the activity in signings made and contracts extended, compared to last season we start with a vastly better back 5, a choice of 3 excellent midfielders and a front line that still needs improving. Given our proximity (points-wise) to a top ten finish last season I think there's every reason to be optimistic for improvement, and a quality forward would probably mean a higher degree of improvement. But ... If the choices available are no better, why sign them, and if the available strikers want a higher profile club and won't join, we won't get them. Extremely simple concepts to comprehend I would have thought.

Seems that those who I'm sure you would class as a clapper are perfectly comfortable with where we are in the window, happy with the business we have done so far, happy with the players retained and hoping that our forward lines improves over the next 23 days or so.

You're not happy for what reason exactly? It's hard to follow.

Not read everything but has anyone said they can see us consistently be ahead of the top 6?

The clappers are generally just more realistic and enjoy the club, its progress and optimism.

The delusional posters are the handful of posters who;

Have been hugely and consistently too pessimistic in their predictions for the season. ( one notorious poster hugely wrong for at least three seasons in a row).

Fail to notice that the way the club has gone about their transfers has not been amateurish and failing to address the needs but has moved club forward every year (how many clubs do that?)

Fail to remember that huge majority of transfers are concluded at the end of the window. (Still while away).

Think MP made an enquiry for a top forward, thought it would happen and has sat back doing nothing. With no evidence at all. BBC reported that he is workaholic at training ground 7-7. But guess never crosses his mind the think about transfers or how will use his squad.

Who fail to notice that all clubs have regular signings they regret including Man U. But cos Forren didn't work out or Mayuka seems a strange signing we are clueless.

Who think a player signed in league 1 or championship and unsurprising isn't a star in prem is now useless and deserves personal abuse.

Who don't understand that a £16m players is not suddenly a waste of £16m if they fail to reach their expectations in first season. Maybe if never played again and left on free transfer but otherwise not true.

Who think signing two players for £20m early in window is a worrying / negligent / disappointing window. Spending more so far than virtually every club. Signing players well thought of by journalists. Players who forums at Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal fans site had threads running hoping would go to them.

Who think current squad is going to mean season of watching boring 0-0 draws. I loved last season, think one 0-0 ? Which I enjoyed.

But agree that anyone thinking Chelsea are worried about us is deluded

Not read everything but has anyone said they can see us consistently be ahead of the top 6?

The clappers are generally just more realistic and enjoy the club, its progress and optimism.

Have been hugely and consistently too pessimistic in their predictions for the season. ( one notorious poster hugely wrong for at least three seasons in a row).

Fail to notice that the way the club has gone about their transfers has not been amateurish and failing to address the needs but has moved club forward every year (how many clubs do that?)

Fail to remember that huge majority of transfers are concluded at the end of the window. (Still while away).

Think MP made an enquiry for a top forward, thought it would happen and has sat back doing nothing. With no evidence at all. BBC reported that he is workaholic at training ground 7-7. But guess never crosses his mind the think about transfers or how will use his squad.

Who fail to notice that all clubs have regular signings they regret including Man U. But cos Forren didn't work out or Mayuka seems a strange signing we are clueless.

Who think a player signed in league 1 or championship and unsurprising isn't a star in prem is now useless and deserves personal abuse.

Who don't understand that a £16m players is not suddenly a waste of £16m if they fail to reach their expectations in first season. Maybe if never played again and left on free transfer but otherwise not true.

Who think signing two players for £20m early in window is a worrying / negligent / disappointing window. Spending more so far than virtually every club. Signing players well thought of by journalists. Players who forums at Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal fans site had threads running hoping would go to them.

Who think current squad is going to mean season of watching boring 0-0 draws. I loved last season, think one 0-0 ? Which I enjoyed.

:adore:

Cannot wait to see the replies to this.

Outstanding work.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/04/25/3931781/pochettino-targeting-champions-league-assault-with

Do you have a list of said assholes ?

Barry Sanchez, Dalek 2003, Glasgow Saint, Alpine_Saint and Unbelievable Jeff !

Apologies if I've left anyone off the list but these are the ones who immediately spring to mind !

Logic dictates that I must be a 'happy clapper' as I genuinely believe that the club has done well in the last few years and is still heading in the right direction !

Reading that was as difficult as eating bricks.

I agree that it's not over until the fat lady sings - and the transfer window has not yet closed - but I can't say that so far the transfer window for Saints has played out like I thought it would - or anything like it really.

I wasn't expecting a landmark signing like Leandro Damiao to be honest - but I was expecting a bright young thing or two from South America - and one or two bargains from Spain based on Pochettino's contacts a d experience. I was also hoping we'd sign a few rising stars from the Championship (Charlie Austin, Kieran Trippier, Martin Olsson, Henri Lansbury for example)

I was expecting to see players like Fox, Guly, Mayuka, Tandanari, Sharp, Hammond, Hooiveld and Fonte moved on and replaced by younger and better players to give us more depth in the squad.

I wasn't expecting to see Forren sold back to the club we bought him from for a pittance (we signed Forren and Liverpool Coutinho - the scouters must be laughing at that one)

I was expecting to see a new left back, another holding midfielder, a right winger, one if not two new centrebacks and a least one new striker.

So far I think I'd give the club a C- in the transfer window.

i cant say that ive been thrilled by the signing of Victor Wanyama from Celtic or Dejan Lovren from Lyon. Although I have a feeling we overpaid for both. It's on record that Lyon and Lovren wanted shot of each other - and last season he went from bright young thing to dismal failure. And I am yet to be convinced by any signing from Scottish Football after the terrible failures of Neil McCann and Rudi Skacel in the Championship - not too mention Strachan's clan at Middlesbrough. Did we really pay £12 million for a player from the equivalent of League One? It seems an awful lot to me - far too much if I'm honest.

I'll admit it I would rather have signed Banega and Astori.

It looks like we've been aiming too high and missing our targets - but also missing out on those those players we could have signed as well.

Swansea, Norwich, Liverpool, Fulham have all taken 2 or 3 steps forward this summer already - whereas it seems we're standing still at the moment.

Maybe I'm wrong and will end up signing one or two big names before the end of the window - but I have a feeling we'll end up with another Mayuka and Forren in a last minute panic.

At the moment with a few injuries we'll look like a struggling team.