Who is to blame for the Summer of inactivity?

Unbelievable Jeff

For me Pochettino's reputation or lack off is the number one reason we haven't moved faster on signings. I am concerned that none of the Spanish players he was reputed to be after have shown any interest or rejected linking up with him.. That includes former players who played for him. He will need to show big results before players and proof of getting where our ambitions state before players will come

Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool all struggle to make the signings they want, we're not any longer in a minor league signing journeymen.

You are right but we are not them either which makes it worse. The EPL seems to be losing it's allure and one is bound to wondre if foreign players are put off by our weather, our press or just the now EPL habit of hire / fire players and managers alike where contracts mean ziltch and loyalty counts for nothing.

On the other hand Cortese & Pochettino have done themselves and us no favours by suggesting that they know what they are doing and big names can be expected and it's only a matter of time and patience.... I'll bet in closed offices at SMS some choice language is to be heard and if nothing else happens on the transfer front this year somebody will be held culpable and to account especially ITSHTP after 4 or 5 games and we are in the bottom three.

For me Pochettino's reputation or lack off is the number one reason we haven't moved faster on signings. I am concerned that none of the Spanish players he was reputed to be after have shown any interest or rejected linking up with him.. That includes former players who played for him. He will need to show big results before players and proof of getting where our ambitions state before players will come

This was my concern. none of his past players want to link up with him again..... Why?

Add this to the rumour about player unrest at SFC towards the end of season + the alarming change in team/player form (last 6 games) and things start to unravel.

Or is it me doing 2+2 and getting 5?

This was my concern. none of his past players want to link up with him again..... Why?

Add this to the rumour about player unrest at SFC towards the end of season + the alarming change in team/player form (last 6 games) and things start to unravel.

Listen Phillip, you really are showing your true colours aren't you???

Get a grip, control that wagging utter lie of a tongue of yours and stop being such a pathetic excuse of a man...

A famous man on this forum once said (well said it a few more timesactually) that "you cant make that up"...

But unfortunately that´s not true.

The WUM´s really CAN make things up......well if it suits their opinions they probably have to though....

A famous man on this forum once said (well said it a few more timesactually) that "you cant make that up"...

But unfortunately that´s not true.

The WUM´s really CAN make things up......well if it suits their opinions they probably have to though....

So there wasnt unrest when NC and MoPo threatened to quit unless the owners gave them millions???? Ok then :facepalm::facepalm:

So there wasnt unrest when NC and MoPo threatened to quit unless the owners gave them millions???? Ok then :facepalm::facepalm:

I didn´t know that NC and MP was players but you maybe have some of your fantastic ITK to reveal on this??

Just using YOUR quotes...

So in one line you say, ex players don't want to link up with MoPo, and in the next line you say, player unrest at the club! So what sort of picture you trying to paint here Pinochio Saint?

To the normal person players indicating uncertaintyl of their future if MoPo and Cortese leave is nothing other than an ABSOLUTE endorsement and LOYALTY to MoPo and Cortese.

So why are you trying to spin things so evidently pathetically?

So tell us... Liar Saint?

I can't help but feel that if the club hadn't been making noises about European football that our perspective would be greatly different.

Personally I am happy with our activity, and pragmatically I know where are quite some way from European football. Now we're back in the Premier League I am quite happy to give this current side some time to grow until we know what the limits are, as well as continuing to see young players being given a chance. It's everything I wanted this time four years ago.

However, with players and Management talking about Europe publicly (their fault, no-one forced them) then it shifts expectations. Certainly the immediate response is that it would take a lot of money to get there (more than spent) so that creates one stream of panic. The other one it creates is an alternative view that maybe the powers that be think the current squad is up to it - I'm all for positivity but you've got to be pragmatic.

I just hope whatever striker we end up buying by the end of the month is one who is better than we've got and a primary target, not some £5m+ fallback target who won't get games and will be a waste of time.

A lot of prima donnas here. Some of them id call highly intelligent. Some can be very entertaining and informative, and funny, but some also are high maintenance look at me posters and can be highly destructive to your normal no issues no problem no agendas just interested in saints stuff type posters. Those can get chewed up and spat out pretty quick. And feel pretty disgruntled and annoyed at the treatment. It's like tag team wrestling sometimes for the uninitiated. Shame in a sense but in another hats life, if yo don't like it change channel. There's still enough good stuff from good people to make it the best source of saints info on the web quite often, but enduring the vast amounts of nonsense is hard sometimes.

A lot of prima donnas here. Some of them id call highly intelligent. Some can be very entertaining and informative, and funny, but some also are high maintenance look at me posters and can be highly destructive to your normal no issues no problem no agendas just interested in saints stuff type posters. Those can get chewed up and spat out pretty quick. And feel pretty disgruntled and annoyed at the treatment. It's like tag team wrestling sometimes for the uninitiated. Shame in a sense but in another hats life, if yo don't like it change channel. There's still enough good stuff from good people to make it the best source of saints info on the web quite often, but enduring the vast amounts of nonsense is hard sometimes.

well said

This time last year we had signed 4 players. Two from The championship, One from league two and one from a team in Scotland who were in admin. Starting life back in the PL I would of said that was a time to worry, not now.

We have added 2 players to the squad. Both who played in the CL and both internationals. It is about quality not quantity. Ramirez, Yoshida and Mayuka signed a few days before the transfer deadline. I expect there will be more players coming in and going out.

I think the forum has been invaded by a few skates tbh. It is becoming easier to spot them.

Good summary - I go to St Mary's to be with supporters of my club and to support my team. On here there are a good number of supporters but also those who don't bear any relation to that description...they are the ones who will no doubt cry 'happy clapper' but as you say, there are enough good ones to make SWF worth the effort.

Yet again, I was lambasted in May for my predictions of the usual underwhelming summer transfer season. Now I see people are all singing the chorus to the tune I was singing on my own.

To be fair, we need one more decent signing. A proven striker.

We have irons in the fire and 28 days to run on the window.

I think we've spent wisely on reinforcing a steady team with x2 quality players. But, I'd love to see some firepower arrive. I think we will. Certainly not worth worrying about at this stage. Keep calm and pass to Rickie for now :)

Yet again, I was lambasted in May for my predictions of the usual underwhelming summer transfer season. Now I see people are all singing the chorus to the tune I was singing on my own.

Just to keep up the positive agenda, a top 6 is highly achievable with the squad we have assembled and that is without any further additions.

I am not down about it. I think we are a 'yoyo' team and would be happy to see us bounce back from the championship.

Do you get joy out of making yourself out to look a silly fool?

well said

:lol:

I can't help but feel that if the club hadn't been making noises about European football that our perspective would be greatly different.

Personally I am happy with our activity, and pragmatically I know where are quite some way from European football. Now we're back in the Premier League I am quite happy to give this current side some time to grow until we know what the limits are, as well as continuing to see young players being given a chance. It's everything I wanted this time four years ago.

However, with players and Management talking about Europe publicly (their fault, no-one forced them) then it shifts expectations. Certainly the immediate response is that it would take a lot of money to get there (more than spent) so that creates one stream of panic. The other one it creates is an alternative view that maybe the powers that be think the current squad is up to it - I'm all for positivity but you've got to be pragmatic.

I just hope whatever striker we end up buying by the end of the month is one who is better than we've got and a primary target, not some £5m+ fallback target who won't get games and will be a waste of time.

A very good point. Fans may set their own benchmark on their own but the club have very publicly stated (on numerous occasions) their own level of expectation; so its kind of natural that fans' expectations may be based against that. When we were getting promoted from the championship, if you'd have offered me 14th place then, say 11th or 12th the following season, I'd have said that was a really good achievement and showed impressive progress. And that our current signings put us in a great place to achieve that. With the rhetoric from the club since promotion and the expectations they've created for themselves, I would think it could be 50/50 on MP keeping his job if he "only" finishes 12th this season.

I didn´t know that NC and MP was players but you maybe have some of your fantastic ITK to reveal on this??

Just using YOUR quotes...

So you dont think Nicola's public hissy fit had any impact on the players?

You dont need to be ITK to read the quotes from Morgan "every player would have to consider their future"

You are right but we are not them either which makes it worse. The EPL seems to be losing it's allure and one is bound to wondre if foreign players are put off by our weather, our press or just the now EPL habit of hire / fire players and managers alike where contracts mean ziltch and loyalty counts for nothing.

On the other hand Cortese & Pochettino have done themselves and us no favours by suggesting that they know what they are doing and big names can be expected and it's only a matter of time and patience.... I'll bet in closed offices at SMS some choice language is to be heard and if nothing else happens on the transfer front this year somebody will be held culpable and to account especially ITSHTP after 4 or 5 games and we are in the bottom three.

Not sure you can say that - afterall we have not had any word about 'expecting BIG signings' from the club, just the normal that they will look to get in players that are better than what we have, young etc. All teh stuff about big signings is really only fuelled by the rumours and then on sites like this where fans build their own theories and then when it does not happen blame the club.

The prem is still attractive given the wages, but tax is an issue and there are many more 'new rich' clubs in Europe with CL qualification that make them more attractive.

All depends on what you expected. I go by what teh club has always said - a desire to progress eventually to Europe, by a mixture of homegrown and quality young signings - if no one they think fits the bill is available so be it. Whether NCs stated ambition is achievable or not following those principles is another matter, but not seen them state anywhere that we are after big signings... just better in a few key positions. Just as important is keeping talent and so far that has played out nicely.

The club have done far more business than 'only brought in two new players':

New contract for Lambert,

New contract for Lallana,

New contract for Shaw,

New contract for Schneiderlin,

New contract for Chambers,

New contract for Isgrove,

New contract for Davis,

With the exception of Isgrove all on Long and in many cases expensive contracts no doubt.

The club have allegedly fought off strong interest for Schneiderlin, Lambert and Ramirez.

Signed Wanyama

Signed Lovren.

allegedly recouped a large chunk of the Forren money.

That is A LOT of business, significantly more than 20 million quid's worth of business I should imagine, and that is an awful lot of exciting talent tied to the club with more rumoured to be coming through the production line. The old saints management would have cashed in on most of that talent to the the likes of Ipswich (Magilton), Everton (Barry Horne, James Beattie), Aston Villa (Kachloul), Blackburn (Shearer, Flowers, Kenna,Davies,Ostenstadt),West Ham(Hall,Berkovic), Liverpool(Crouch),Chelsea (Bridge), Tottenham (Ruddock,Bale), Arsenal (Walcott).

A top striker would always be welcome, but I can't see the problem with trusting Lambert and Rodriguez next season with Guly and maybe Mayuka for backup. Rodriguez is a far better player than he gets credit for.

The club have done far more business than 'only brought in two new players':

New contract for Lambert,

New contract for Lallana,

New contract for Shaw,

New contract for Schneiderlin,

New contract for Chambers,

New contract for Isgrove,

New contract for Davis,

With the exception of Isgrove all on Long and in many cases expensive contracts no doubt.

The club have allegedly fought off strong interest for Schneiderlin, Lambert and Ramirez.

Signed Wanyama

Signed Lovren.

allegedly recouped a large chunk of the Forren money.

That is A LOT of business, significantly more than 20 million quid's worth of business I should imagine, and that is an awful lot of exciting talent tied to the club with more rumoured to be coming through the production line. The old saints management would have cashed in on most of that talent to the the likes of Ipswich (Magilton), Everton (Barry Horne, James Beattie), Aston Villa (Kachloul), Blackburn (Shearer, Flowers, Kenna,Davies,Ostenstadt),West Ham(Hall,Berkovic), Liverpool(Crouch),Chelsea (Bridge), Tottenham (Ruddock,Bale), Arsenal (Walcott).

A top striker would always be welcome, but I can't see the problem with trusting Lambert and Rodriguez next season with Guly and maybe Mayuka for backup. Rodriguez is a far better player than he gets credit for.

Says it all!

If our transfer policy has been a failure over the last three years, can we please have more of the same!

From the mid 60's till 2005 in our previous top division runs, most years we would be selling Morgan and Shaw and replacing them with old has beens. Like we sold Shearer and brought in a fading Dixon and a past it Speedie (who themselves were shipped out by Chelsea then an ordinairy first division team). our aim was rarley more than to hang on to our status. Buying two class players and holding on to our young stars would have been brave novel and unheard of!

In fact twice we ended up with good teams on the verge of challenging through a mixture of good prudent cheap buying combined with up and coming good youngsters, in the mid 80's and in 2003. However both times we failed to strengthen and subsequently lost our managers and then key talent to others. We must not be too greedy now as this time we have both strengthened and kept our talent. May it continue to be so!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

So you dont think Nicola's public hissy fit had any impact on the players?

You dont need to be ITK to read the quotes from Morgan "every player would have to consider their future"

Would would would would would

When asked a direct question about it

Would would would would would

Not 5, I think you are getting 7 Glasgow! The good players are cureently all sitting tight hoping for better and bigger offers or have offers but are tied up in complex chains (like house buying) awaiting the first move to free up money and allow deals to complete. When we get towards the end of the season and agents panic then we will see a whole series of movements that in turn will generate waves of others as players move and cash gets re allocated.

I'd hope for 8th to 11th

I was hoping for the same mate. Back in July i predicted 7th, but that was on the assumption that we would sign 2-3 more. Now im not sure if we will finish top 10.

The point is I think we are close.... Very close and thats the frustrating thing. I think our first 11 is strong, but i think that we need more depth, especially as MoPo plays such an intense and exhausting style.

To judge the success of the summers activity / inactivity you must also consider the posters expectations, hopes ect ect

I had dreams of us finishing top 7, but with the signings made thus far we wont (imo)

Not 5, I think you are getting 7 Glasgow! The good players are cureently all sitting tight hoping for better and bigger offers or have offers but are tied up in complex chains (like house buying) awaiting the first move to free up money and allow deals to complete. When we get towards the end of the season and agents panic then we will see a whole series of movements that in turn will generate waves of others as players move and cash gets re allocated.

Understand the domino affect you talk of and im hoping the transfer of Roberto Soldado may kick start some movement.

The worry is that by signing someone so late we could have another Ramirez issue and the player may need a long time to adjust?

I was hoping for the same mate. Back in July i predicted 7th, but that was on the assumption that we would sign 2-3 more. Now im not sure if we will finish top 10.

The point is I think we are close.... Very close and thats the frustrating thing. I think our first 11 is strong, but i think that we need more depth, especially as MoPo plays such an intense and exhausting style.

To judge the success of the summers activity / inactivity you must also consider the posters expectations, hopes ect ect

I had dreams of us finishing top 7, but with the signings made thus far we wont (imo)

If you're expecting us to finish top 7 then you're in dream world

7th would be lovely, and it might be achievable. If we can land a top forward to supplement Rickie we will stand a good chance.

Problem with top players, they don't tend to join ambitious middling outfits unless they are short of options, or unless the team overpays. If we want to try to tempt players who seem beyond our reach, we will have to play the waiting game - and that means we are unlikely to make any further signings until the end of the window.

Far better to wait for quality than buy average sooner.

So little humility, so much arrogance from some. Talking as though they have seen the future and know exactly what will happen. Really quite sad IMO.

TBH it does seem the sort of thread taylor made for Skates to exploit. In fact my first reaction was that the very first post was a wind-up.

Where do you expect SG?

I expect an improvement on last year. A top half finish would be nice. As would a cup run. As long as we stay up and finish above west ham, I'd be satisfied. Was painful getting spanked by them, and then drawing at home to them and them finishing above us, when all my close mates are Hammers.

The cyber equivalent of a reach round.