Who is to blame for the Summer of inactivity?

Unbelievable Jeff

Yes but we only have the odd signings, two. That my point entirely.

The three teams mentioned have bought on paper very well indeed.

Both our signings would get into the starting XI of those teams. Of their buys a small percentage would get into ours.

Let others do their business and let us do ours.

Cortese is responsible and he is a ****

A couple of points really...it's a judgement call whether to buy or to promote from within.... Chambers? Isgrove? We have bought players though. Will it be enough? Who knows....can we convince elite players to join us over bigger clubs? Probably not yet.

We have quality enough to aim for mid table

I also dont think it will happen now; there is simply too little in the way of rumours going round, too little activity at Ground Zero, so to speak.

I think maybe NC and MoPo have given up now it is clear they wont land Damiao, Banega or Osvaldo; maybe after the Austrian trip they think Isgrove has a bigger role to play than originally thought.

Can you substantiate this statement please ?

Norwich have spent about £20 Million.

Sunderland have spent about £17 Million

Swansea have spent about £20 Million

The above are not even the teams we need to get past to get into Europe.

I dont want us to get into Europe. Its a pants competition and a drain on players.

Yes but we only have the odd signings, two. That my point entirely.

The three teams mentioned have bought on paper very well indeed.

So more signings equal better?

Sunderland has lost their bestplayer from last year in Mignolet. Altidore is dead average if even that ,Giaccherini and Cabral are the only ones I rate of those coming in.

Norwich has done well, still think they have a manager that is too defensive-minded. Dont think our business is worst than theirs considering squads you have and where you need to strengthen it...

Swansea keep on doing fine business but are in a different place than us this year cause they can offer European games so not really comparable....

I think it might be nice to have a little perspective, we've got 8 or 9 more experienced Premier League starters in the starting 11 than we had this time last season, for a start.

I think Swansea and Hull have signed well, but one of them has to run a Europa League campaign in parallel and were only 10 points off a relegation place last year, and the other had little, if any, Prem experience in their squad last season.

:facepalm:

We've spent £20 million.

So have many other sides, and others have spent what I would say is wiser as well.

Can't say I am up to date with other clubs.

Who are the many sides who have spent £20m and more wisely?

There were a lot of poor teams in the division last season. Sunderland needed to spend money and bring in multiple players, as did Norwich - but I believe at the end of the season, that we were a better side than them man for man. The only thing about us is that we don't have an awful lot of depth. We've strengthened in a key area - CB, and the midfield looks stronger too with the addition of Wanyama. That gives us an alternative way to play, which is good. One striker and I think we have a real chance of pushing on into a solid mid table outfit and above. We don't need to add numbers who are just competent players, we needed to bring in quality and just cherry pick in certain areas.

We have two promising youth players who look to be involved this year in Isgrove and Chambers, JWP will be another year older and stronger, and the whole team now has a years prem experience under their belt. Don't underestimate the impact of this when we kick off in two weeks.

I'm really excited for the new season, and I don't expect us to be in the relegation zone much this year if at all. Onwards and upwards, I will happily take steady improvement over the next few years with a cup run or two.

Buying a new team every year has been proved to not work - so lets not bring the arguement that just because a team has brought in loads of new players they're suddenly going to be amazing.

You fool.

The season starts in less than 2 weeks, and some of the winnable games are in the first few weeks. Its not just about the window closing, we've basically not got in the people we needed quick enough to maximise our points from the relatively easy early run of games.

But didn't I say this would be the case back in May ?

Don't know who is to blame, but I predicted that we would do little and so far I have been proven right.

I also predicted way back that this season would see us in a relegation scrap. I stand by my assertion.

Ah back to the normal Dalek then - take a leaf out of Alpines book - go and watch the team and then cheer up a bit.

Can't say I am up to date with other clubs.

Who are the many sides who have spent £20m and more wisely?

Well wisely is subjective but

Chelsea

Liverpool

Manchester City

and Spurs have all spent more than £20 Million, its what you buy though but again subjective, West Brom have got Anelka on a free and thats a great deal.

So have many other sides, and others have spent what I would say is wiser as well.

Ha ha... and that is why you are chairman/manager of a prem side?

Jeez, Barry we all know you love finding fault where there is none, but at least TRY and make for a credible response. That way you can at least come across as having some sort of valuable opinion, rather than a WUM axe grinder of minimum humour.

NC/MP/LR... have always stated that they a) wont waste money and buy for the sake of it b) will look to develop our own youngsters up to a 50:50 ratio, c) wont buy unless we can find something better than what we already have.

So far we have bought 2 players who wll improve in two areas, and have seen during preseason that with Chambers and Isgrove slowing showing promise to add to Shaw and WP, there seems to be no deviation from the plan.

Pretty obvious we are after a striker, but no point in going for anything less than better than what we have - we seem to have tried, but not been successful - as better than what we have is a) expensive and B) likely to want Euro football/big wages... but there is a month to go and we will no doubt keep trying....

.. in activity? there' aint a face palm big enough for this thread...

If I remember correctly, about this time last year there were some praising the work Reading had done, adding to their squad early.

People cite Norwich as an example and no doubt they have done some good business, but not exceptional.

Both Swansea & Man C, so far for me have had the best of the window, but I dont consider us to be a million miles behind.

20m on 2 high class players and not losing any of our best players is a good window, even with nothing else! Do you guys not remember what being a Saints fan is like?

I never imagined we could be in a situation that what we have currently done is not good enough. Some perspective no?

I know the Summer isn't over, but with no new winger and no second striker, and further to that no credible rumours at the moment, but I am worried that our business will be too little, too late.

I would like to know who bears the responsibility for this. For me it has to be Cortese, he should have learnt from last Summers delayed business, and if he believes we can kick on to challenge for top 8 with this squad I think he will be sadly mistaken.

The fans are to blame for being unrealistic.

Modest purchases in the summer have served us well these last few years. Evolution rather than revolution. We don't actually play with wingers now so not sure why you identify that as a target. Our wing backs are fine. Keeper and CBs are fine. Midfield probably amongst strongest in league. Rickie is the joint top English striker from last year so whilst a Damiao would undoubtedly be a good investment Rickie is still the man for me. JRod can play up there and Mayuke seems to have been reborn this pre season and attracting plaudits. So overall I think we are fine. Does not mean a star purchase would be unwelcome - just not essential.

We've just signed the 3 most promising youngsters from the best academy in the country, a solid international defender and arguably Celtic's best player. Considering most people would consider us to still be a relatively small club in Premier League terms at this stage, that's pretty good going.

In the unlikely event that by Christmas it doesn't look like the squad's strong enough to finish mid-table, we'll no doubt be in a position to splash out another £10m-£20m on another 1 or 2 quality players.

Plus it's possible we'll sign at least 1 more before the current window closes.

Whoever's to blame for that deserves a standing ovation imo!

We've just signed the 3 most promising youngsters from the best academy in the country, a solid international defender and arguably Celtic's best player. Considering most people would consider us to still be a relatively small club in Premier League terms at this stage, that's pretty good going.

In the unlikely event that by Christmas it doesn't look like the squad's strong enough to finish mid-table, we'll no doubt be in a position to splash out another £10m-£20m on another 1 or 2 quality players.

Plus it's possible we'll sign at least 1 more before the current window closes.

Whoever's to blame for that deserves a standing ovation imo!

Why dont we strengthen now and then have strength in depth? Seems reactive as opposed to proactive.

If buying lots of players meant success then we'd never have gone down in 2005. Quality over quantity is the correct approach.

We have almost a month left to get that forward to finish off our business and I'm still hopeful that we will.

Don't forget that our best signing of last season, Boruc, was signed after the season started and he went on to make a huge contribution to the team.

If buying lots of players meant success then we'd never have gone down in 2005. Quality over quantity is the correct approach.

We have almost a month left to get that forward to finish off our business and I'm still hopeful that we will.

Don't forget that our best signing of last season, Boruc, was signed after the season started and he went on to make a huge contribution to the team.

Signing Van Damme and Bernard is something we would not expect even Les and Nicky to do now.

I blame the academy giving us all of these up and coming star players trying to challenge for first team football and preventing us just buying in a ready made team every summer...

I agree if they are possibly good enough and are like the Busby babes they will be ready for European football in 5 years........................

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Both our signings would get into the starting XI of those teams. Of their buys a small percentage would get into ours.

Let others do their business and let us do ours.

Notice as usual when BS's nonsense gets pointed out to be fluff his response goes missing. We buy two players who would improve most teams below Liverpool and Sunderland sign anyone with legs (worked for QPR) and apparently they have 'bought well on paper'

I agree they possibly if good enough and are like the Busby babes will be ready for European football in 5 years........................

What if they are 'only 'good enough to be the squad players that the likes of Sunderland and Norwich have spend a fair amount on this summer?

Why dont we strengthen now and then have strength in depth? Seems reactive as opposed to proactive.

Presumably because those working with the squad are confident that we don't need to. If we have a good enough squad of players to meet this season's objectives, there's no point in bringing a load of new signings in at this stage and having to start the team bonding process all over again.

It was NC and MoPo that started talking about top 4 + ambitions....................not the fans!! they have essentially talked the talk, but failed to walk the walk.

I don't recall any quote from MP or NC about finishing fourth. I think they have suggested that Europe is quite achievable within the next couple of years. But for the sake of argument lets just say they did. At the end of next season you can wag you finger at their failure (if that's what it is), but to criticise them before the season has started is just silly. Neither of us knows what will happen with the current squad.

NC and MP / NA have talked the talked by getting us back to back promotions followed by a mid table finish in our first season. All this whilst the fans have said they are being unrealistic and it would be far better to consolidate in the Championship as opposed to trying to run before we can walk. Back to back promotions - said many of the fans - would only result in us going down again because we do not have the depth in the squad.

So just who is being realistic?

Notice as usual when BS's nonsense gets pointed out to be fluff his response goes missing. We buy two players who would improve most teams below Liverpool and Sunderland sign anyone with legs (worked for QPR) and apparently they have 'bought well on paper'

Other clubs buy players and we are sceptical yet our players are World class? Thats hardly fair is it? If you have not noticed we are supposed to be going part Liverpool as we are going for a European place, hardly gone missing ha ha.

I don't recall any quote from MP or NC about finishing fourth. I think they have suggested that Europe is quite achievable within the next couple of years. But for the sake of argument lets just say they did. At the end of next season you can wag you finger at their failure (if that's what it is), but to criticise them before the season has started is just silly. Neither of us knows what will happen with the current squad.

NC and MP / NA have talked the talked by getting us back to back promotions followed by a mid table finish in our first season. All this whilst the fans have said they are being unrealistic and it would be far better to consolidate in the Championship as opposed to trying to run before we can walk. Back to back promotions - said many of the fans - would only result in us going down again because we do not have the depth in the squad.

So just who is being realistic?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/04/25/3931781/pochettino-targeting-champions-league-assault-with

I will be honest mate - I am getting a bit bored of saying "I told you so" doesnt give me any pleasure

Well wisely is subjective but

Chelsea

Liverpool

Manchester City

and Spurs have all spent more than £20 Million, its what you buy though but again subjective, West Brom have got Anelka on a free and thats a great deal.

So objectively we have only been outspent by Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs.

Not really loads.

Not teams I personally see us chasing currently.

agree subjectively harder for all to agree but having read fans threads on Liverpool's and Man U's forums complimenting our progress and wanting our new signings at our club , think most would be happy.

Always need to look to improve, but balancing with stability.

Would be good to see international star CF but happy so far.

would like a fast winger / forward maybe as a more direct sub option - option I hoped Mayuka was!

I think some of the blame comes from Sky TV. They may have upped the ammount of money available to each club, but they have now inflated the price for players. When stupid money is being asked for the likes of Bale, Saurez Rooney etc. it ups the price of those lower down the pecking order.

Too many clubs are looking for top striker(s), as goals are the only way you can win games, therefore perhaps we should blame other clubs for wanting strikers, and therefore stopping us in our first choices :)

I know the Summer isn't over, but with no new winger and no second striker, and further to that no credible rumours at the moment, but I am worried that our business will be too little, too late.

I would like to know who bears the responsibility for this. For me it has to be Cortese, he should have learnt from last Summers delayed business, and if he believes we can kick on to challenge for top 8 with this squad I think he will be sadly mistaken.

What inactivity you bed wetting baby ? 20m, Luke Shaw and blatantly we are going to end up with another striker .

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/04/25/3931781/pochettino-targeting-champions-league-assault-with

I will be honest mate - I am getting a bit bored of saying "I told you so" doesnt give me any pleasure

Its a bit sad you can't read the quotes in your own article.

He told reporters:"In the next two years I want to be back in the Champions League with Southampton and I believe it’s not unreal.

When quizzed on whether it will take time to get to that level, Pochettino said: "Why in a couple of years? It might be next year.

You've ignored the concession I made to assume that the target was fourth for this season in the interest of sliding in your oh too familiar 'told you so' quote (yawn).. Anything less than 6th would indeed be a disappointment IMO. I'm delighted that the ambitious plans of the last two years have exceeded fans expectations and long may it continue. But don't come out with this 'they walk the walk but not talk the talk' as the evidence clearlysuggests otherwise.

Are your other 3 posts this cr*p, I can't be bothered to look ...:yawn:

those expecting far more transfers than we were ever likely to make. Told you all, 2 maybe 3 in and a few out, total budget around +30 million.

We will sign 1 more player and that's that. Probably a striker for around 10/12 million.We won't sign Damiao it was never ever going to happen because we aren't in any form of continental challenge cup.

On 2 players, only one in a position that needed improving. Both will turn out to be good players for us as well.

However...

IMHO we NEED another striker in. Rickie cannot do it all by himself, Jay Rod is really quite profligate. If we don't sign someone we will see more points lost in games we dominate like last season and Celta Vigo the other day. We had hoped to have players in by now, evidenced earlier in the Summer by the MoPo quotes. Our style of play is pretty specialist, it needs time to get to know the system, which means we will struggle to integrate new players into the team if we don't sign some soon.

We've seen teams like Norwich do good, early business, whilst we chase unrealistic targets. We need to take advantage of our early season fixtures, or we could come unstuck when the more difficult stages of the season hit us. It's no good people saying 'there's 25 days left' or whatever, it'll be too late for it to effect our early season.

This. Exactly.