Who is to blame for the Summer of inactivity?

Unbelievable Jeff

This was my concern. none of his past players want to link up with him again..... Why?

Add this to the rumour about player unrest at SFC towards the end of season + the alarming change in team/player form (last 6 games) and things start to unravel.

Or is it me doing 2+2 and getting 5?

Yes - these rumours were so rife that this is the first that I have heard of them. You must be getting even more desperate for attention.

I thought the rumour was that the aim was to sign a forward, a winger, a midfielder and a centreback.

We've spent big money on 2 of those, we've promoted a winger from the ranks, and now we seem to be trying to sign a forward. Plus we've also promoted a RB from the ranks too. Oh, and we've signed Shaw onto a proper contract.

There's no point having U21 and U18's if we're never going to get any good enough for the first team, and I don't believe they would do it just to make up the numbers, so we have to trust that Isgrove and Chambers are going to be good enough.

If we get the forward before the start of the season, then I think we've had a very good summer of activity.

I thought the rumour was that the aim was to sign a forward, a winger, a midfielder and a centreback.

We've spent big money on 2 of those, we've promoted a winger from the ranks, and now we seem to be trying to sign a forward. Plus we've also promoted a RB from the ranks too. Oh, and we've signed Shaw onto a proper contract.

There's no point having U21 and U18's if we're never going to get any good enough for the first team, and I don't believe they would do it just to make up the numbers, so we have to trust that Isgrove and Chambers are going to be good enough.

If we get the forward before the start of the season, then I think we've had a very good summer of activity.

BlIvey, I really cannot fathom the vitriol on this thread for criticising the fact that we haven't bought a striker. Perhaps 'inactivity' was the incorrect word to use, but surely you lot cannot deny that the way we have gone about looking for a striker has been bordering on negligent. Hopefully it will pick up soon, because we do desperately need to bring someone in. Real shame we weren't interested in Bony at Swansea.

Jeff why is it negligent the way the club have gone about not signing a striker . Armchair fans are so in the know how the club functions and procures players . . The club does its transfer business professionally and only announce a new signing when it is completed . Contrary to your views the club do not sit on their arse twiddling there thumbs .

Ps I look forward to your remaining post for the day

surely you lot cannot deny that the way we have gone about looking for a striker has been bordering on negligent.

There is nothing negligent about our attempts to attract a top striker at all. Are you saying we should have given up and settled for a lesser target? Surely that would have been more fittingly described as negligent?

:facepalm:

We've spent £20 million.

Yes ....£20 million for 2 players plus Luke Shaw (best of the lot IMHO) and a couple more promising ex-Academy lads, (surely that's why we have them) ......and likely another before the end of the month.

Inactivity ??? ......what did the OP expect.... 20 players for £1 million each ?

Edited by david in sweden

There is a lot to be said for doing business early and letting players bed in over a pre season. Man City have done it very well and expect to see them come flying out the blocks start of the year

Clearly there is now this club/ agent driven timeline of leaving things until deadline day which really doesn't help anyone

Signing players last minute is not the way to do things and its lazy and naive to say otherwise........ look at Ramirez last year. Signed him late and then needed to give him a full season to settle in.

Think you are simply underestimating the power of pre-season, player bonding, SFC fitness ect ect.

While you and others underestimate how difficult it is to bring in quality players. Either that or you're on a wind-up, now let me guess...

Anyway, just because we haven't signed anyone for a while doesn't mean we have been 'inactive'. I doubt the relevant member of staff are all sitting at their desks playing solitaire.

Another thread with the OP moaning about effectively the same thing as before: we haven't signed enough players, we haven't spent enough money, others have spent more money than us, we need a top class striker, we are leaving things way too late, who is to blame?....etc.

Mighten we just subsume all of these posts under one 'bedwetting' thread and be done with it? Unless you can offer something original or an opinion with a modicum of perspective then really, why bother?

Precisely. And anyway, who is this bloke who has just started posting? He'll have to improve on that as an opening post, if he wants to avoid being labelled a Skate or a WUM. In any event, he shoots himself in the foot right away by starting his post acknowledging that the transfer window still has some time to run before closing and then wants to know where blame is to be laid for us not making more signings before now. A bad case of premature ejaculation here.

Why not let's wait until the transfer window closes and then assess whether there is any need for concern?

Inactivity is a bit overstated,we've made two decent signings from outside the club and tied up a deal with Luke shaw,I would have liked another striker but on the whole it's not all that bad unless people are still buying into the whole 'pushing for champions league' ****** then it could possibly be construed as being a sh!te summer.

Jeff why is it negligent the way the club have gone about not signing a striker . Armchair fans are so in the know how the club functions and procures players . . The club does its transfer business professionally and only announce a new signing when it is completed . Contrary to your views the club do not sit on their arse twiddling there thumbs .

Ps I look forward to your remaining post for the day

Where did I say they're doing nothing? I'd prefer it if I didn't have to use my posts clearing up rubbish that others speak.

I feel it's been negligent trying to buy players that are quite blatantly out of our reach as a club. We've been knocked back by them all so far and as far as we can see they have no plan B in place (evident by the lack of rumours about other strikers - and don't say we wouldn't have heard rumours, there has not been a previously unreported purchase for years now).

That is negligent, and there is no doubt about that.

There is nothing negligent about our attempts to attract a top striker at all. Are you saying we should have given up and settled for a lesser target? Surely that would have been more fittingly described as negligent?

Negligent is bringing in nobody due to aiming too high.

Imagine you can out of school with no qualifications, then went and applied for a job as an actuary. That would be negligent.

While you and others underestimate how difficult it is to bring in quality players. Either that or you're on a wind-up, now let me guess...

Anyway, just because we haven't signed anyone for a while doesn't mean we have been 'inactive'. I doubt the relevant member of staff are all sitting at their desks playing solitaire.

Swansea, Liverpool, City and Norwich haven't struggled...

There is a lot to be said for doing business early and letting players bed in over a pre season. Man City have done it very well and expect to see them come flying out the blocks start of the year

Clearly there is now this club/ agent driven timeline of leaving things until deadline day which really doesn't help anyone

We always leave things to the last minute and we traditionally have a poor start to the season. I hardly bothered to post in the first 6 weeks after the end of the season as I knew this would be the case.

Jeff

How can you come out with such a comment umless you are a disaffected member of the coaching staff

"I feel it's been negligent trying to buy players that are quite blatantly out of our reach as a club. We've been knocked back by them all so far and as far as we can see they have no plan B in place (evident by the lack of rumours about other strikers"

Like me you have know real Idea who we are trying to sign. We have been linked with scores of players this summer. I bekieve a lot of that is about agents get their player in the spotlight. nothing more nothing less. Look at the luke shaw issue. there were those on here who were convinced he was going to sign for chelsea.

So which part of the word negligent are you referring to in respect of the clubs transfer dealings Jeff

inattentive - showing a lack of attention or care; "inattentive students"; "an inattentive babysitter"

careless - marked by lack of attention or consideration or forethought or thoroughness; not careful; "careless about her clothes"; "forgotten by some careless person"; "a careless housekeeper"; "careless proofreading"; "it was a careless mistake"; "hurt by a careless remark"

diligent - characterized by care and perseverance in carrying out tasks; "a diligent detective investigates all clues"; "a diligent search of the files"

Failing to take proper care in doing something: "directors have been negligent in the performance of their duties".

Swansea, Liverpool, City and Norwich haven't struggled...

Doesn't look like we struggled to bring in two of the three players we're supposedly after does it? Maybe the level of player we're going for with the last one means it'll be a bit harder to pull off.

TBH I watched the Swansea match the other night and thought Bony looked a bit lost overall and got lucky with his second goal. However, I suppose a lot of being a good striker is being in the right place at the right time, even when you're not contributing a huge amount to the team as a whole.

I think I have come across in the wrong way here/under-estimated how much you can't have an opinion that strays from the norm. All I wanted to do was spark debate, not draw hundreds of insults.

Let's forget this ever happened.

Jeff, welcome to the forum, you will quickly see around here that an opinion against Cortese and the regime will quickly result in insults, the cult is strong on this forum.

Edited by Barry Sanchez

Jeff

How can you come out with such a comment umless you are a disaffected member of the coaching staff

"I feel it's been negligent trying to buy players that are quite blatantly out of our reach as a club. We've been knocked back by them all so far and as far as we can see they have no plan B in place (evident by the lack of rumours about other strikers"

Like me you have know real Idea who we are trying to sign. We have been linked with scores of players this summer. I bekieve a lot of that is about agents get their player in the spotlight. nothing more nothing less. Look at the luke shaw issue. there were those on here who were convinced he was going to sign for chelsea.

So which part of the word negligent are you referring to in respect of the clubs transfer dealings Jeff

inattentive - showing a lack of attention or care; "inattentive students"; "an inattentive babysitter"

careless - marked by lack of attention or consideration or forethought or thoroughness; not careful; "careless about her clothes"; "forgotten by some careless person"; "a careless housekeeper"; "careless proofreading"; "it was a careless mistake"; "hurt by a careless remark"

diligent - characterized by care and perseverance in carrying out tasks; "a diligent detective investigates all clues"; "a diligent search of the files"

Failing to take proper care in doing something: "directors have been negligent in the performance of their duties".

It's just a lack of due care, attention and research to go for players out of our reach. Now if the agents have encouraged the bids then it makes a difference (and this may well have happened to encourage other bids), and perhaps a bit of naivity is more the charge.

Jeff, welcome to the forum, you will quickly see around here that an opinion against Cortese and the regime will quickly result in insults, the cult is strong on this forum.

To be fair Barry I am a big fan of Cortese, he has done a cracking job here, I just think he has made a mistake in not getting a striker in on time...

To be honest mate, it's more a case of act like a bellend get treated like a bellend.

I have to say i'm pretty dissapointed in the lack of activity in this window and pretty worries about the start of the season. Don't get me wrong, the signings of Lovren and Wanyama were very good...but let's face it, it has only really solved one major problem...the defence...

Towards the end of the season we were struggling to unlock defences...and the serious lack of goals at the tail end of the season proves this.

I really thought we would have sorted this problem early...Norwich signed Van Wolfswinkel in April so i don't buy this guff that it's not possible to do it.

Also what happens if Lambert or Rodriguez get's injured...what Mayuka a guy who has never scored for the club...really?? and before anyone starts about Sharp, Lee etc they are not needed and will be sold before the window closes.

Further evidence if needed is the latest set of friendlies...Schalke, Besiktas and Celta Vigo...in 6 halves of football...Saints didn't score in 5 of them...worrying stat.

Some of you can blindly say that we have had a great window thus far...but we are at least 2 players short...i would argue 3 of having a good window.

We need a striker badly and it's poor that it has not been sorted with a week and a half to go...we also need another attacking midfielder/winger...and i would argue another centre back, but i will have to give up on that particular hope as we are madly going in with two 30 year old sub standard defenders.

Quite how Fox, Guly, Hoiveld and Fonte are still in our squad bemuses me...i'm also struggling to understand what our scouts are doing?? Lovren and Wanyama were well know players...Mayuka, Forren were poor scouting acquisitions and we don't seem to unearth any hidden gems. Surely rather than paying silly money, this is what we need to be doing?? again poor

If Saints want to kick on and be a mainstay in the top 10, they need to upgrade in the right areas...leaving it late doesn't work as we have seen...i just think we may blown a great opportunity this season

Jeff I think its a great attribute that Les and Nicky can continuously delude themselves we are now in the hunt for Europes best of the best players, this delusion infest message boards like this good one, for examples simply look at some of the players we have been "linked" with on this forum, if we signed 10% of these highly opportunistic "Kevin Keegan" style buys then we would be top 4 no doubt.................................

Jeff I think its a great attribute that Les and Nicky can continuously delude themselves we are now in the hunt for Europes best of the best players, this delusion infest message boards like this good one, for examples simply look at some of the players we have been "linked" with on this forum, if we signed 10% of these highly opportunistic "Kevin Keegan" style buys then we would be top 4 no doubt.................................

I would have considered Ramirez an opportunist buy - and although it hasn't gone to plan so far, this season will be the telling one.

I also consider Wanyama a bit of an opportunist buy - considering that he was being touted about for some of the 'larger' clubs.

That's two in two seasons, add to that the signature of Luke Shaw, that is three in less than 1 year.

There do seem to be a lot of angry and unreasonable people on here...

You get used to it mate - the funny thing is the angry crew that cruise every thread moaning about posters and talkings about the good ol days, also call themselves "happy clappers"

I would list out the ones to watch - but you will soon learn.

I wonder how many saints fans over the last 20 odd years would believe

in 2013 after one season back in prem,

still weeks away from the period when 90%+ of transfers are done,

when we have signed two young international players wanted by fans of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool,

Spent over £20m

Kept young player linked with top 4 clubs

Promoted U19 international players to squad

By chairman who has proved every window he moves club forward

That fans would be moaning about we are lacking / negligent or amateur?

when we have signed two young international players wanted by fans of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool,

Spent over £20m

...and that the same people would still be lecturing the same happy-clappy unambitious b*ll*cks in response ???

Spent over £20m

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/04/25/3931781/pochettino-targeting-champions-league-assault-with

It's like a house chain - the market will all fall into place once Bale and Rooney move. Till then our target is locked-in.

Fingers crossed, although this was all meant to happen when Cavani moved, or more recently Soldado. The problem is all you need is for one part of the chain to fail and it all falls to pieces, especially the further up the chain you are. That would leave us in trouble.

We have signed two players in positions we needed, Chambers has stepped up to the plate and arguably I reckon Isgrove looks a good wide bet.

Shaw signed on

We are still aiming for a striker, there are 27 days of the TW left. Time to panic ? Not yet

But we do need a striker yes

We have signed two players in positions we needed, Chambers has stepped up to the plate and arguably I reckon Isgrove looks a good wide bet.

Shaw signed on

We are still aiming for a striker, there are 27 days of the TW left. Time to panic ? Not yet

But we do need a striker yes

We needed Lovren, but not sure I agree we needed another CM with JWP and Steven Davis able to play as back up. It's not really about panicking, I just think we needed him in before pre-season. This seems to be overlooked so often when purchasing players.