'Don't forget about Lambert..'

eelpie

what, you mean that lazy, fat, lumbering carthorse, the bloke who half of his goals were penalties and was so slow he could outpace a double amputee on a skateboard with no wheels? He'll find his level at someone like Reading and i wish him luck there. Osvaldo is an incredible striker, the striker to take us onto the next level. He should at least be able to match the amount of goals Lambert scored last season.

Lambert will never, ever be forgotten. This generations legend.

Not sure whether it coincided with my age (9-16) during the period from 76-84, or whether it was the relative success (FA Cup, promotion, Europe, League Cup Runners up, Daily Express 5-aside winners!!!, England internationals aplenty), but the teams of that era will always live with me.

Front lines that included Ossie, Channon, Boyer, MacDougall, Keegan, Moran, Wallace, etc roll,off the tongue.

So as you say, I think the current team(s) and the contributing players will stick around in many people's minds for a long time.

And Lambert is probably the stand out amongst them. Someone who has performed in three divisions and the. Gone on to make his England debut, someone whose goals and performances have set the tone (and of course strikers always get the glory).

He's "only" been here four years, but think his status must be close to being up there with some of our greats from the past.

Who is 'JS' whose initials are under the Guardian paragraph on Saints? Understandably trying to print something controversial to make a story so doesn't give credit to the club, that a striker was needed and instead of taking the easy route of bringing in cover for Rickie Lambert, they bought the best they could find, a full and current Italy international for a club record transfer fee. When Man City or Chelsea buy such players the same story isn't run about how Rooney would undermine £50m Torres or £9m Demba Ba and so Chelsea should not think of buying another international. Little Southampton should understand that they are just a make-weight in the Prem and only buy second level players, as Norwich have done with Hooper. Norwich know their place, so should Southampton.

Who is 'JS' whose initials are under the Guardian paragraph on Saints? Understandably trying to print something controversial to make a story so doesn't give credit to the club, that a striker was needed and instead of taking the easy route of bringing in cover for Rickie Lambert, they bought the best they could find, a full and current Italy international for a club record transfer fee. When Man City or Chelsea buy such players the same story isn't run about how Rooney would undermine £50m Torres or £9m Demba Ba and so Chelsea should not think of buying another international. Little Southampton should understand that they are just a make-weight in the Prem and only buy second level players, as Norwich have done with Hooper. Norwich know their place, so should Southampton.

Jacob Steinberg

What about Robin Van Persie unsettling Rooney at Man United?

Very good summary...

Why is it controverisal and why is he belittling Southampton? He makes a valid point, we only play with one striker and we've just signed an Italian international for £13m who plays in the same position. It would appear that Lamberts place could be under threat coming off the greatest week of his career. Some of you might not like to admit it but it could be the case.

Why is it controverisal and why is he belittling Southampton? He makes a valid point, we only play with one striker and we've just signed an Italian international for £13m who plays in the same position. It would appear that Lamberts place could be under threat coming off the greatest week of his career. Some of you might not like to admit it but it could be the case.

and rightly so

lambert cant do it all on his own and nor should he

the last handful of games last season when it was clear the squad was knackered after battling to safety, we just looked tired and struggled to score. despite creating loads of chances. Lambert pretty much played in every game, hardly any players do that in the prem

there will be times this season when he is dropped. there will be times when he and osvaldo will play

what is for sure, lambert should not have to play carrying a knock, what he had to last season

It's kinda funny how people call for another striker all summer, then as soon as we get one we worry about Lambert.

There's nowt to worry about, 40+ game season, would be daft to put the entire burden on a 31 year old Lambo's shoulders (again).

If we want to progress we have to keep signing better players, Osvaldo is an upgrade on what we had available, simple.

I do feel that we will see them playing together though, hopefully taking turns to lead the line and drop deep as a game progresses. I'm hoping having the option of a man playing off the shoulder will see us utilise Gaston better. If this comes off, I think it could be a joy to behold at times - though I'm sure there will be times when it doesn't and is ultimately infuriating.

Lambo will never be forgotten though. Saints legend.

First one of this century?

With three new signings probably making their home debuts tomorrow, I guess most of the focus will be on OSVALDO. There have been talks of songs for him and WANYAMA and that is all well and good. However, I hope that LOVREN gets an equally warm and generous welcome. He was the first to sign, an International who couldn't wait to get here and play for Southampton. His twitter feed bears testament to that. He is always interacting with fans, has settled in well and had a great game at WBA. Don't forget the guy who really wanted to be here as well as the other two 'more glamourous' signings who took a bit of persuading.

With three new signings probably making their home debuts tomorrow, I guess most of the focus will be on OSVALDO. There have been talks of songs for him and WANYAMA and that is all well and good. However, I hope that LOVREN gets an equally warm and generous welcome. He was the first to sign, an International who couldn't wait to get here and play for Southampton. His twitter feed bears testament to that. He is always interacting with fans, has settled in well and had a great game at WBA. Don't forget the guy who really wanted to be here as well as the other two 'more glamourous' signings who took a bit of persuading.

Can we have indications of the decibel level for each applause for the home debutants as I would hate to get this wrong. Love Lovren btw

a rich mans Hooliveld?

Oh no.

We had one good striker and now we have two. Lets find a negative.

I don't think we are finding a negative (although some might wish to look for one). The Guardian article is surely beating the drum For Rickie.

How all the front men are going to play is going to be fascinating and exciting.

I can't wait.

Would love to see Rickie playing in the hole behind a front two of Osvaldo & J-Rod, his distribution and footballing brain would do real damage there.

Yeah but that would be a position that would surely see the best out of Gaston.

Though at risk of going off point I should add - I am glad we signed Osvaldo, and we have done what all teams should do. Buy better than you have.