A change of attitude

Legod Third Coming

I like the way we're playing football. I like that we appear to be building a team of predominantly young British players. I like that we have a manager who comes and visits the fans and talks to us - about anything. I like that my team plays with its heart and soul.

It seems unfashionable these days.

But amongst all the anger, vitriol and despair, I ain't losing any sleep.

I look forward to going to watch my team. For the first time in five years.

And yet people will slate me for it. I pity them. Among all the heartache and despair in the world right now, finally we have something and some people to be proud of and believe in. Shame others don't see it that way.

I like the way we're playing football. I like that we appear to be building a team of predominantly young British players. I like that we have a manager who comes and visits the fans and talks to us - about anything. I like that my team plays with its heart and soul.

And yet people will slate me for it. I pity them. Among all the heartache and despair in the world right now, finally we have something and some people to be proud of and believe in. Shame others don't see it that way.

how patronising

Surely the reality is somewhere between. During the first half yesterday we played some superb football - far better than anything that we saw last season - but during the second half the inherent weaknesses set in. We started making a series of mistakes and were unable to keep the ball.

There are some really good things happening with the team at the moment - things to be excited about - but there is a long way to go before we are a force to be reckoned. The situation with the TEAM is not black or white. Give credit where credit is due but lets not get carried away.

I kind of agree with you LTC. However, I think it might have more to do with my finally accepting that SFC isn't a Premiership club anymore. It's taken a heck of a long time to come to terms with it, and I've been having to contemplate the thought that we'll probably take seasons to get back into the Premiership. We'll possibly [probably..?] drop even lower, which is another thing I can accept. But I can't accept the club going out of business, despite there being a real possibility. If Southampton Football Club ever wound up completely, and went out of existence, I'd certainly give up any pretence to watching football. I'd might even accelerate my design to buy a large boat and bugger off to the med for the following 20 years.

Having said all that, and told you where I am - I am happier now with Saints than I have been for about a year, although Nigel Pearson's attitude brought some much needed pride back. A year ago was around the time when the executive directors issued their ill-timed statement, that killed off any ambition and good morale that had been lingering at SFC, despite NP later on. Now we're building from the bottom up, and if Rupert can just let Jan Poortvliet do his job, and stop pulling the rug out from under him, I think he can achieve something at SFC.

I don't think we'll ever see a billionaire come in and save SFC, but I also think the bubble is finally about to burst in the Premiership anyway.

I am with you on those sentiments.

Up to a point I agree with you but I have seen some poor dispalys this season.

If we can play like we did for most of the first half yesterday to the point we are 2-0 or 3-0 up then the season will end well. If we dominate for periods but failing to score the goals we probbaly end up drawing / losing.

You going to post this same self-indulgent crap after every f**k-up of a home match ???

Try and get some perspective on things. If you're going to hold up our football team as an example of something that makes you proud against a background of the heartache and despair in the World, then IMO that makes you a very shallow individual.

It's only a game for crissakes and personally I'd feel much prouder of the things that British people do to try and alleviate some of that suffering in the World. Often that is unsung heroes who contribute something just for the reward of knowing that they have tried to make a difference rather than overpaid footballers.

Try and get some perspective on things. If you're going to hold up our football team as an example of something that makes you proud against a background of the heartache and despair in the World, then IMO that makes you a very shallow individual.

It's only a game for crissakes and personally I'd feel much prouder of the things that British people do to try and alleviate some of that suffering in the World. Often that is unsung heroes who contribute something just for the reward of knowing that they have tried to make a difference rather than overpaid footballers.

Amen.

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and their homes over the next year.

Watching pretty tippy-tappy triangles with no product for 90minutes once or twice or weak means absolutely f**k-all in the scheme of things. 3 points is also pretty insignificant in the scheme of things, but at least its an end-product that would make people smile.

Are you joking?!

Endless change, wasted money, underperformance, lack of commitment and questionable effort from some. More importantly, a worsening financial position.

You'd take last day survival instead of potentially something better that could improve for next season?

Last season was the worst I've ever known.

I'm not joking at all. At least we won a few home games and scored some goals. And as far as 'endless change, wasted money, underperformance, lack of commitment and questionable effort from some, a worsening financial position' are concerned, not much has changed, has it? There is no power or penetration in this team, a whole dimension is missing.

LGSC - top post mate. I guess the thing is with this 'crazy' supporting lark, is that we get sucked in so easily - we care, It irrational naturally to be so 'in love' with a club that we forget its a game and should be enjoyed... something we choose to do for entertainment and a break form the stresses and strains of the serious things in life. BUt despite all the rat5ional words and 'cold light of day' reality, the passion I guess does take control and spills out of SMS, be it in the joy of victory or the grimness of defeat....it lingers and clouds our better judgement.... and ironically, it actually begins to undermine any enjoymnet we had in the firstplace.

Lets all be honest with ourselves for a moment - none of us began supporting saints ina glory chasing lust of of success did we, if we wanted the easy life or desperate desire to be associated with success (sadly like so many) we would ahve simply denied the existence of our local side and opted for Liverpools, Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea (depending which era you were growing up in) - NO we masochists, took the more difficult route, yet without doubt the IMHO the 'right and proper' route - supporting the local side come what may - in 'triumph and disaster' we chose all to be masons (sic) !

Seriously, its is what sorts the men from the boys clamering for success. NO one is denying that the last four years have tried the patience of us saints (sorry), and I have tons of sympathy for those who feel let down, disillusioned and fecked off as regimes have successively failed to live up to our expectations - and I guess that is the crux. Expectations, we have suckled at the premiership /top flight teet for so long, being denied our weekly fix of top flight entertainment and status has left many malnourished.

But for all the anger, pain, and misery we feel has been unjustly inflicted upon us by the powers in the boardroom, for all thier foolish ways, mistakes and in our eyes misunderstanding of what a football club is all about - have we not done the same, have we not forgotten what supporting a club such as sainst and the reasons we chose to is all about? Many on here hark back to the joys and wonder of yesteryear in the way the club was run and teh success we achieved against the odds, yet atthe same time deny the ourselves the shear unadulterated and pure reasons for supporting our club - the tradition of supporting your local side whatever division, hard times or sh!te the baord chose to throw at us.

As the mantra goes, teh fans are the club, and I really hope that if that is true, the current feeling, is merely a temporary glitch - something that as you point out, the purist approach of developing homegrown talent and getting them to play attractive football will soon consign to the wastebin, as we should be inspired and above all be proud that this club that means so much to so many.

COYR

Sentimental and over emotional crap? Sure is, but Ithought that was what being a fan was all about! - ;-)

LGSC - top post mate.

Frank, you don't appear to have noticed that this is LGTC, not LGSC. Now, this could be the same bloke, or maybe not. If it were, I missed the explanation as to why the change was necessary.

But do you still believe it's a top post saying as it does that amongst all the heartache and despair in the world right now, finally we have something and some people to be proud of and believe in? Usually your posts have a bit more gravitas than to agree with a sentiment as shallow as that.

Among all the heartache and despair in the world right now, finally we have something and some people to be proud of and believe in. Shame others don't see it that way.

Most sensible people don't put believing in purveyers of second rate football above everything else in the world, nor do they feel any shame in not doing so.

You super-fans had better get use to the fact that SCC crowds are down to 14k from 30k i.e. 16k down since Premiership days. Not all those were season ticket holders, so that missing 16k represents probably 30k (or more) fans who used to come "quite often".

These 30k 'fans' are precisely the ones the club HAS to begin re-attracting, and it is utterly facile to suggest they should feel shame in making their own choice about what they feel it is worth spending their own money on.

But if you want picures of teenage footballers on your bedroom wall, feel free to get out your prayer mat and worship the god of GFCOOP - "Getting Football Completely Out Of Proportion".

Frank, you don't appear to have noticed that this is LGTC, not LGSC. Now, this could be the same bloke, or maybe not. If it were, I missed the explanation as to why the change was necessary.

But do you still believe it's a top post saying as it does that amongst all the heartache and despair in the world right now, finally we have something and some people to be proud of and believe in? Usually your posts have a bit more gravitas than to agree with a sentiment as shallow as that.

Oops, but it does not really matter who wrote it. I guess I am just as much of a victim to the vagaries of the emotional rollercoaster as the next man - attempting a more complex analytical discussion one moment - a perverse sense of masochism at the best of times, considering the oft abused opinion. ;-) - and yet sometimes the almost whimsical goes along way to reminding me what it was that actually made me be a football fan in the first place - romantic idealism , is not for everyone I know, but sometimes (maybe its just the Chrimbo season - good will and joy to all mankind - especially having taken my 4 year old daughter shopping for a present for mummy this weekend) that I have come over all sentimental who knows, but sometimes there is alot of truth and perhaps more enjoyment in the simplicity of just being a fan appreciating the good amongst the negativity that we forget at times.

Early Merry Christmas to all - must be having watched Miracle on 34th Street with the little one last night.... ;-)

There are many things I love about Saints - even at the moment. I don't hate Lowe - I just don't agree with some of his strategic decisions. I don't think JP is useless - I just think he's not good enough to be manager (i.e...good coach).

What I do dislike intensely about SFC is the inherent inability to learn from mistakes. Like the seemingly eternal problem of killing off games that they have dominated for 75 minutes. Like not playing tippy-tappy football sideways and backwards until the opposition figure out the game plan. Like not playing the best players in the best positions. Like making crazy subsitutions that end up losing a game. Like not getting a corner kick beyond the first man or rarely hitting the target from a free-kick on goal.

Many of these things should surely be rectified in training? So why are we still waiting to see improvements? There are surely only two answers - 1. the players are not good enough or professional enough, OR 2. the coaching/management is sub-standard in some way. Whatever the answer and whatever our level of support, these issues need to change, otherwise more and more supporters will drift away and the club will die.

Give me last season over this, any day.

Are you taking the ****? Did you watch the cup game against Bristol Rovers? Or pretty much any game in the 2nd half of the season other than when we beat Bristol City and Sheff Utd to survive by the skin of our teeth?

Last season was a f*cking shambles, no one even seemed interested or could be bothered to play, thankfully Stern John decided he would score a few goals and that was all that kept us up. The lads playing this season have a lot to learn still but at least they give it everything each week and play some very attractive football with real passion.

It's not really though is it? I see your point but it's certainly more than just a game to me, but I suppose that says more about me and how futile and empty my life is in general :(

Are you taking the ****? Did you watch the cup game against Bristol Rovers? Or pretty much any game in the 2nd half of the season other than when we beat Bristol City and Sheff Utd to survive by the skin of our teeth?

Last season was a f*cking shambles, no one even seemed interested or could be bothered to play, thankfully Stern John decided he would score a few goals and that was all that kept us up. The lads playing this season have a lot to learn still but at least they give it everything each week and play some very attractive football with real passion.

Just because WG's opinion doesn't coincide with yours doesn't mean that he is taking the p*ss. I think that you're also being disingenous selecting the second half of the season too. In the corresponding beginning of the season up to the 8th December, we had won 5 times as many home games as we have this season, beating the likes of Stoke, Hull and West Brom in the process. In case it escaped your attention, all three of those teams are now in the Premiership. We also beat Cardiff and Blackpool.

If you believe that you have made any valid point by mentioning the cup match against Bristol Rovers under the stewardship of Gormless and Dudd, then you might as well tell us all how wonderfully we played against Rotherham in the same competition under JP. We wait for your assessment with bated breath.

As for the period after Dodd and Gorman's departure, most acknowledge that we were playing an improving game with a squad that looked better under Pearson. Many posters on here have indicated that they would prefer Pearson to be here now instead of Poortvliet. Are you going to tell them that they're taking the p*ss too?

Like Whitey Grandad, I would swap the beginning of last season with the beginning of this one in a shot.

I was at the Bristol match and on that pitch it was impossible for anybody to play football. I was at every home game apart from West Bromwich and Bristol City, both of which I believe we won. I also saw many other games where, in my opinion, we were unlucky not to have won, unlike this season where we never look like scoring. Pretty patterns in the middle of the park are never going to get us anywhere.

"Get some perspective" you say. With "so much suffering in the world", how do we explain why some of us spend so much time on a Saints message board?

I agree with what you are saying, but do you have be positive all the time?

Might as well, will being negative all the time change anything? Like f*ck it will so might as well feel good and be positive.

I'm of course not old enough to remember WWII but one of the nation's great

weapons was our positivity. If the Few had been negative as many seem to be over so little nowadays we'd have given up on the first day.

On this forum, the few are the positivists, of course they feel bad when we lose or can't score at home, but this is football and nothing else.

Our finances are dreadful,nay catastrophic and only great economic prudence will change that.Even the stayaways change nothing; 5000 more at home games would change very little if in return you have to pay Sagas,Johns and rasiaks to get them there. They are not great players,true they score a few goals but not enough to merit the huge wads we paid them.

I am just afraid that we'll be obliged to take them back, Saga I wouldn't mind but the other 2 can f**k right off.

Wes & Whitey, I take your points there and I agree that, at times, we were clearly a lot more effective last season, in as much as we were able to actually win games and win them well! (eg 3-0 at QPR, although your Blackpool example is a bad 1 considering we played pretty badly and would have drawn the game if not for a bizarre decision from the ref about 10 minutes from the end).

We had some quality players who, as you say, were good enough to beat the 3 teams who were promoted, but where did that leave us on the last day? That was what I found so painfully frustrating about last season and, while it's hardly much better this time round, I get the impression that the team I'm watching are giving it their all and playing some great football in difficult circumstances. Last season we had a team capable of beating anyone in the league, yet we came within about half an hour of relegation!

"Get some perspective" you say. With "so much suffering in the world", how do we explain why some of us spend so much time on a Saints message board?

You get some perspective too. Otherwise you might as well stupidly ask why most spend so much time watching the television when they could be doing something positive about the World's ills.

The perspective comment came against the background of LGTC linking pride in the young players against the background of heartache and despair in the World. A bit like saying that despite global warming, the starving hordes in Africa, the numerous people suffering financial hardships because of the credit slump, thank God that the young saints team make us proud the way they play. Sounds stupid put that way, doesn't it?

You're right of course. Immediately we should all get off our computers and nip out and run a soup kitchen...

It clearly meant that we (as Saints fans) have a team whose attitude and commitment we can be proud of - which matters to many of us a great deal more than simple results (a huge amount of which is down to luck, decisions and factors beyond our control). Effort is not beyond the control of the team - and it is them whom I and many other fans support.

So that, perhaps our football team might be a positive thing for us at a time when many of us are finding the remainder of life a touch harder than it has been for a while.

But thanks for your lesson in what should be important to people.

And now that we've established that this club means bugger all to you and the other moaning minnies in the scheme of things, perhaps you will be less vociferous in your constant barrage of criticism??

Wes & Whitey, I take your points there and I agree that, at times, we were clearly a lot more effective last season, in as much as we were able to actually win games and win them well! (eg 3-0 at QPR, although your Blackpool example is a bad 1 considering we played pretty badly and would have drawn the game if not for a bizarre decision from the ref about 10 minutes from the end).

We had some quality players who, as you say, were good enough to beat the 3 teams who were promoted, but where did that leave us on the last day? That was what I found so painfully frustrating about last season and, while it's hardly much better this time round, I get the impression that the team I'm watching are giving it their all and playing some great football in difficult circumstances. Last season we had a team capable of beating anyone in the league, yet we came within about half an hour of relegation!

I think we can all agree that last season's squad 'underachieved', and I would suggest that this season's squad are, if anything, overachieving particularly regarding some good away wins, but for the first time ever I have found myself unexcited by the thought of going to a home game and from the attendance figures it would seem that several thousand others feel the same.

I can't accept the club going out of business, despite there being a real possibility. If Southampton Football Club ever wound up completely, and went out of existence, I'd certainly give up any pretence to watching football.

Another 'SFC' would be born out of the ashes and you'd be able to support them from the grass roots upwards. It would still be the same club in spirit - why desert 'Southampton Football Club' if/when it's re-born?

Things could be better and they could be allot worse. IMO things are getting better and better and have been since JP came in. Sure we havnt won enough home games but we were letting in too many goals before. That seems to be getting better with a few clean sheets. If we can carry on to progress then we may finish the season strongly and be in a good position next season.

This could all get turned on its head and we bail out in everything that is good and finish rock bottom but again IMO we look to be going the right direction at least and for that I share the OP's views.

I kind of agree with you LTC. However, I think it might have more to do with my finally accepting that SFC isn't a Premiership club anymore. It's taken a heck of a long time to come to terms with it, and I've been having to contemplate the thought that we'll probably take seasons to get back into the Premiership. We'll possibly [probably..?] drop even lower, which is another thing I can accept. But I can't accept the club going out of business, despite there being a real possibility. If Southampton Football Club ever wound up completely, and went out of existence, I'd certainly give up any pretence to watching football. I'd might even accelerate my design to buy a large boat and bugger off to the med for the following 20 years.

Having said all that, and told you where I am - I am happier now with Saints than I have been for about a year, although Nigel Pearson's attitude brought some much needed pride back. A year ago was around the time when the executive directors issued their ill-timed statement, that killed off any ambition and good morale that had been lingering at SFC, despite NP later on. Now we're building from the bottom up, and if Rupert can just let Jan Poortvliet do his job, and stop pulling the rug out from under him, I think he can achieve something at SFC.

I don't think we'll ever see a billionaire come in and save SFC, but I also think the bubble is finally about to burst in the Premiership anyway.

Think i agree 100% with what you say. I had that momment of knowing we would not be going back to the promised land anytime soon when we were playing our pre-season games this year. We played some great passing balls but just couldn't do anything, and the results against part timers highlighted to me we were in trouble. So my expectations changed from trying to go up to just wanting to survive in this league this season.

We really miss one player with that little bit of magic, someone who now and then produces something out of nothing like so many previous players. We haven't had anyone like that since MLT retired. If we had someone like that who the crowd held in that legend bracket i think people would be a bit more happier. We won't be seeing a billionaire but i do think we will be bought out eventually. To own us would cost about as much as buying one of those boats anyway! :)

But why? We were getting stuffed far more. Least this season the few times we have been stuffed we haven't looked like we couldn't care less. It looks like it hurts the players. How could anyone who was at the Saints- Palace game starting last season ever prefer that?! I think that was the worst performance all round I've ever seen from a saints team. It should have been 8 or 9 to Palace; a poor Palace team at that, and at St Mary's.

Everyone's allowed their opinion but I find any positive from the first half of last season absolutely bewildering. Except of course, the day the Scottish FA saved us.

Why pick the Palace game? Why not Hull? I have to admit, though, that was bad. The Watford game this season was very depressing.

I think we can all agree that last season's squad 'underachieved', and I would suggest that this season's squad are, if anything, overachieving particularly regarding some good away wins, but for the first time ever I have found myself unexcited by the thought of going to a home game and from the attendance figures it would seem that several thousand others feel the same.

I can understand people being demoralised and deflated, but for me it's summed up by my perception that last year I watched a team that got progressively worse in terms of performance over the course of the season, (albeit with a few positive blips like Hull, Bristol City and Sheff Utd).

This season I believe that I am watching a team that has the technical ability to match any team in the division and that is learning in each match and is generally improving. I'm willing to give them a bit of space to learn - for example I'm pretty sure that Patterson will understand that he's got a responsibility to chase everything when he comes on at the end of a match where we are defending a slender lead.

My hope for this season is CCC survival and I believe that we'll make it based on the technical ability that this team has and the fact that they are learning how to get things out of matches. If we can learn to close out games and score a few more goals we will pick up more points as the season goes on and that should see us safe.

I would much rather watch this season's team than last seasons. Despite some ups and downs I have enjoyed watching the team this season.

This season we are using our own youngsters, playing good passing football, playing with real passion for the first time in ages.

Last season we were stuck with a load of players clearly not wanting to be there and playing ****e football with little passion.

Some people on here will slate you for saying anything. Stop obsessively w*nking over Lowe for Christ sake!

But why? We were getting stuffed far more. Least this season the few times we have been stuffed we haven't looked like we couldn't care less. It looks like it hurts the players. How could anyone who was at the Saints- Palace game starting last season ever prefer that?! I think that was the worst performance all round I've ever seen from a saints team. It should have been 8 or 9 to Palace; a poor Palace team at that, and at St Mary's.

Everyone's allowed their opinion but I find any positive from the first half of last season absolutely bewildering. Except of course, the day the Scottish FA saved us.

It's really simple. I can only go to home games, so at the beginning of last season I had attended five games by this time of that season where I came away from the stadium elated at a home win, whereas this season I have walked away from the stadium just feeling empty apart from the one win.

Some people have very shot memory spans. Burley's performance during that first half of the season was way superior to Poortvliet's as was Pearson's at the end of the season when measured over the same number of games.

I'm afraid that the pretty, pretty football and the caring attitude of the players giving their all is becoming increasingly meaningless to me and seemingly numerous others who would appreciate seeing a winning side at home for their hard-earned dosh more than once.

All fair points...

But...

What will you say when Lowe sells the best of the youth players in January?

Everyone's allowed their opinion but I find any positive from the first half of last season absolutely bewildering.

So bewildering in fact that after the same amount of games as we have played this season we had 30 points and were 10th.

Interestingly we had also won 4 games away from home at this point of last season, but perhaps more interesting is the fact that we had won 5 at home as well.

Last season had a mad spell in the Spring, but as a comparison last seasons start ****es on this seasons start.