Cortese speaking at Leaders in Football conference (10th Oct) - Live Feed

trousers

He did.

I recorded the whole thing, so ill try and upload it to YouTube later.

On another note, I got to speak to Nigel Adkins in some detail last night.

To sum up:

- He misses being Saints manager

- Loved every second of his time at the club

- Said he understood the decision to change management (strange) and was really pleased to see us doing so well under MP.

- Really pleased to have Billy Sharp at Reading as a top bloke and goal scorer, but he's picked up an injury straight away.

- When I said 'Reading are a similar sized club to Saints', he said "I thought so too, but they are a lot smaller in every way"

Do you mind if I ask why you're at such an event/in what capacity? Do you work in football or in the business of football? Or studying it in some way?

The guy asking the questions annoyed me. Asked about five different questions in the same breath and then tried to answer them for the panel as well. Then when a panellist was warmed up sufficiently to given some real insight he'd do in another direction. For example, when Cortese said Saints could never bridge the commercial revenue gap with a team like Man Utd but had to be smarter and better in other ways, and generate ideas to do so, he could have been asked what and how - but the guy just ignored it and asked an entirely different question.

I like the idea of the event but it could be so much better.

He did.

To sum up:

- Said he understood the decision to change management (strange) and was really pleased to see us doing so well under MP.

- Really pleased to have Billy Sharp at Reading as a top bloke and goal scorer, but he's picked up an injury straight away.

- When I said 'Reading are a similar sized club to Saints', he said "I thought so too, but they are a lot smaller in every way"

Interesting! Cheers for posting :)

Very interesting the part about the managerial changes. He got stick not having a replacement lined up for Pardew and still got stick for having Pochettino immediately lined up. People complain about the way in which Adkins was sacked, well, how else do you sack a manager? It's never a nice thing to do but there's no other way of doing it and the way in which Cortese did the Adkins/Pochettino change so seamlessly has to be applauded.

Whatever you think of the decision that is clearly utter horsesh*t.

The guy asking the questions annoyed me. Asked about five different questions in the same breath and then tried to answer them for the panel as well. Then when a panellist was warmed up sufficiently to given some real insight he'd do in another direction. For example, when Cortese said Saints could never bridge the commercial revenue gap with a team like Man Utd but had to be smarter and better in other ways, and generate ideas to do so, he could have been asked what and how - but the guy just ignored it and asked an entirely different question.

I like the idea of the event but it could be so much better.

Yeah, as Simon Peach said on Twitter at the time, Mark Palios seems to enjoy the sound of his own voice a bit too much to be chairing this sort of discussion. He didn't seem to get that the other three people sat alongside him were the ones people wanted to hear from.

Don't see the Don as being a traditionalist - he knows what he wants and will go with that traditional or not. He is not scared or prevaricates over making a decision which in my book is fine especially as its always what is right for the club either commercially or footballing wise. Love the way he sees closing the commercial gap as a challenge - speaks reams about the man and his mind set.

You would hope that is the last we see of this abomination of a kit then.

You would hope that is the last we see of this abomination of a kit then.

I would suspect it'll work the other way on that one. In an effort to appeal to higher profile sponsors Cortese seems quite willing to take liberties with things such as the kit design in order to appeal to them and help us close the corporate gap. The use of Gold in the home kit to tie in with Lotus and their branding for example, even if the deal fell through. Sadly, some simple straw mathematics show that compromised shirt sales would be easily offset by increased sponsorship.

Edited by Colinjb

Do you mind if I ask why you're at such an event/in what capacity? Do you work in football or in the business of football? Or studying it in some way?

No problem, I work for a digital marketing agency. This event has many sub-summits: Leaders in Digital Sport, Leaders in Football, Leaders in Sponsorship, etc. So I'm here in a working capacity to learn and network :)

No problem, I work for a digital marketing agency. This event has many sub-summits: Leaders in Digital Sport, Leaders in Football, Leaders in Sponsorship, etc. So I'm here in a working capacity to learn and network :)

Enjoying the Joey Barton show now?!

I would suspect it'll work the other way on that one. In an effort to appeal to higher profile sponsors Cortese seems quite willing to take liberties with things such as the kit design in order to appeal to them and help us close the corporate gap. The use of Gold in the home kit to tie in with Lotus and their branding for example, even if the deal fell through. Sadly, some simple straw mathematics show that compromised shirt sales would be easily offset by increased sponsorship.

Not sure how that generic rubbish appeals to a higher class of sponsor?

And are no longer on the training kit. Any idea of how much they actually are giving us for this season ?

Exactly the same amount they gave us in the Championship (not sure of the exact figure, but it isn't much) as contractually agreed. Would tie in with the expectation that we would have been at that level for a little while.

Changing part of your history and identity - like strip or ground name and selling it to a sponsor is great for the balance sheet in the short term. In the long run you gradually erode the affinity fans for for 'their' club and everyone ends up feeling like a customer buying yet another product. Customers are much less likely than fans to still turn up on a wet Tuesday cup game or keep buying tickets when things aren't going well.

Edited by buctootim

Changing part of your history and identity - like strip or ground name and selling it to a sponsor is great for the balance sheet in the short term. In the long run you gradually erode the affinity fans for for 'their' club and everyone ends up feeling like a customer buying yet another product. Customers are much less likely than fans to still turn up on a wet Tuesday cup game or keep buying tickets when things aren't going well.

How do you change part of your history exactly? ;-)

I didn't like the stadium being called the Friends Provident ......... Didn't stop me from turning up on a freezing January night to support the team tho as changing the kit (no matter how much I dislike it) will not stop me from supporting my team. Now if he changed our name to something other than Southampton Football Club then I might just stop going.

What are you on about?

We didn't get sponsored by Lotus, and I'd say part of the reason was down to the appalling kit design, where no one can read the sponsors name. I don't blame them for running a mile.

Not sure about this long term. For older fans, maybe, but there will always be the next generation who grow up with these things and in turn accept them as our new 'history' - things change and clubs evolve - for some it's better, happy to accept that 'you can't stand still' , for others, it's worse, unable to tolerate such perceived ignorance of tradition.

It's funny how we many now acknowledge that certain mangers and styles are 'old school' or dinosaurs, and accept that successful clubs seem to have adopted new approaches on the pitch, yet can't accept it when it happens off the pitch

i find it pretty sad that the consensus is that no one can really break into the top 4 or so without mega bucks inestment - or challenge the 'big' clubs - and often poor scorn on those that suggest it should be a viable ambition. It's effectively defeatist - accepting that you play in a division wher you never have a chance of winning goes against all that competitive football should be about - and it was clear that whilst Cortese accepts the financial gulf will always be there, does not mean by being different and 'smarter' things are possible.

If we want to realise the full potential, then we need to embrace change. Otherwise we accept the staus quo, and our 'natural' place in the hierarchy.... Which is pretty depressing. There are still plenty of clubs for whom fear of losing prem status dictates their approach, and with that a limited ambition.

I appreciate that many say such progress 'will take a long time' - but the reality is that if you don't move fast, then you go backwards - we will lose talented youth and others far quicker if we take too long to progress - a vicious circle if ever there was one.

So Cortese wants to see us increase revenues by 70-100 percent within 3 years- now that at least shows he's not about to walk, and I for one am pretty pleased about that. I know some are not, so be it.

Sorry but Nicola definitely said one year in L1 and two years in the Championship - the 'we did it the other way around' comment would make no sense otherwise.

From the Echo transcript...

The plan was actually to get promoted in the first year and then to spend three years in the Championship but we had to accept that we had to do it the other way round – two years in League One and then one year in the Championship and it worked out.

As I dont know, help me out...

What has Saints/Cortese done against the Mirror?

Somehow they are able to find the negative angle on interviews lately...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-managers-importance-played-down-2359093?

The Mirror's a Commie paper...and like some of the lefties on here, Nasty Nick's Capitalistic drive and ambition is too much for some to take.....In their eyes Southampton's place is out in the fields with the workers...Not at the top table in the Kremlin

Swords do have two edges.

True, but it is a very good demonstration as to how out of context, or with a simple shift in emphasis the media can apply their own 'spin' positive or negative- to me it just emphasises the importance of listening to or reading a complete transcript before forming an opinion. The cone census from the those who have read heard it all in context seems to be positive and far less draconian than the mirror views it.

I also think it's often less about an agenda , or being against the club per sae, but about being different to what other media outlets are saying - an odd editorial approach, but an accepted commercial one.

He did.

To sum up:

Do you it is wise then, when someone has generously afforded you some time to talk and be honest about things, that you should make public the comment about the size of reading and us etc.

clearly if some nutty reading fans get hold of this it could escalate into something a decent man like NA would not need.

Do you it is wise then, when someone has generously afforded you some time to talk and be honest about things, that you should make public the comment about the size of reading and us etc.

clearly if some nutty reading fans get hold of this it could escalate into something a decent man like NA would not need.

Agreed, that was the first thing I thought. Pretty sure that when Nigel Adkins tells you he would rather be saints manager than have his current job, and that he things reading are a smaller club, that he does it in confidence.... not for you to then publish it on an internet forum that journalists use as a source...

Considering what NA did for this club, I think St Louis is a bit of a Tuesday... the sad truth is that Nigel would never have shared that information if the tables were turned and deserves better aqauntainces that Louis.

What ever NC says I trust his vision for the club. In all fairness just look at so many other club directors / owners who seem to make to the most irrational decisions to please the fans - Sunderland, for example West Ham sticking with Fat Sam , where are they now ? Blackburn is a circus, Newcastle seem in chaos after the appointment of a DOF , Stoke are another one - just seem to have no ambition except survival in the PL .

Some of the teams in The Championship - once good decent sides in the PL, Leeds, QPR and their owners the outsiders view is I think seen as a bit of a joke .

We have moved on so far and the days of survival have moved on to ambition -