Irritating stuff you need to offload

Halo Stickman

Yes. This is rampant over here in radio interviews. Interviewer will ask question; respondent will begin answer with "So, what we did was ...".

Why? I can understand "well", but "so"?

Isn't it a public speaking device to let people know you're about to speak and to get their attention? - a bit like chinking a glass or knocking the table at a noisy wedding or reception. The actually word used is irrelevant, could be anything - 'okay', 'well', 'so', 'ahem' etc

Yes. This is rampant over here in radio interviews. Interviewer will ask question; respondent will begin answer with "So, what we did was ...".

Why? I can understand "well", but "so"?

This happens a lot in North Carolina too, but with a bigger drawl on the word "So".

Isn't it a public speaking device to let people know you're about to speak and to get their attention? - a bit like chinking a glass or knocking the table at a noisy wedding or reception. The actually word used is irrelevant, could be anything - 'okay', 'well', 'so', 'ahem' etc

Don't know about that. I'd put it more in the annoying category of non-conversation that seems to afflict different people in different ways.

I know loads of scousers who'll end every sentence with y'know or begin a sentence with "errrm". Computer studies teacher 'o mine back in Southampton used to end every sentence with either "ok?" or "right?", without fail.

After a while, it's all you hear.

Elevator music cover versions of Christmas Songs in every Supermarket since 3rd December.

Bing Freaking Crosby singing White Christmas while standing in the Immigration Queue at the Airport.

It would never be allowed in the UK in case it offended someone.

Oh and idiots who are so busy talking or txting that they do not look where they are going, walk into my overloaded shopping trolley on the way to the Car Park and then let rip at ME because I couldn't manouvere 800kgs out of THEIR way in time.

Annual Award Ceremonies and all the smarmy vote chasing (rigging) that goes with them at this time of the year

Not much really gets my goat. However, the stupid bints on FB that post things about their animals as if they were kids (usually bints without kids it must be said) does get on my t1ts.

Also drivers who haven't a brain big enough to work out that cyclists would appreciate it if you passed them with room to spare and that, just perhaps, many of us already pay excise on our own cars so we are quite entitled to use the roads.

Elevator music cover versions of Christmas Songs in every Supermarket since 3rd December.

Bing Freaking Crosby singing White Christmas while standing in the Immigration Queue at the Airport.

Oh and idiots who are so busy talking or txting that they do not look where they are going, walk into my overloaded shopping trolley on the way to the Car Park and then let rip at ME because I couldn't manouvere 800kgs out of THEIR way in time.

Annual Award Ceremonies and all the smarmy vote chasing (rigging) that goes with them at this time of the year

I'd go wider than that, me ol' mucker.

Elevator music forms just part of an overall culture that neuters music as not to offend, but ends up offending anyone with taste.

During my tenure as a cheese chopper in ASDA Southampton, I had to suffer the indignity of ASDA FM during my shifts. The edgiest song they played on that station was Bohemian Rhapsody, and they never used to play the finale. So it's alright to have the nice quiet bit at the beginning where Freddie is explaining how he's murdered someone, but the heavy bit at the end with guitars (but far less crime-laden lyrics) is out? FFS.

All these twinkly slowed-down cover versions of rock songs repurposed for w4nky commercials annoy me too.

Not much really gets my goat. However, the stupid bints on FB that post things about their animals as if they were kids (usually bints without kids it must be said) does get on my t1ts.

Also drivers who haven't a brain big enough to work out that cyclists would appreciate it if you passed them with room to spare and that, just perhaps, many of us already pay excise on our own cars so we are quite entitled to use the roads.

I have someone like this on my feed. They have been trying for kids for years, but have settled for dogs and don't stop going on about them.

Other Facebook annoyances:-

People who post too much personal information. I don't want to know about long-dormant trauma or rows with your in-laws, ta.

Cryptic messages, usually negative, targeted at no-one but obviously meaning someone. e.g. "There are some proper c*nts round here", etc.

Cries for attention in general.

"Celebrate the English flag" groups that turn out to be hotbeds of racism, ignorance and Islamophobia.

F**king runners. Runners are boring in real life too.

Cycling should be a compulsory part of the driving test.

I thought he was long dead :?

I thought he was long dead :?

Reminds me of an old flatmate from the Mumbles near Swansea. He was talking about his favourite pub whose only downside was that "freaking bloody Bonny Tyler turns up every time a band is on and insists on singing Total Eclipse of the Heart".

A middle-aged relative of mine has finally established his first serious relationship. He posts on facebook every other month or so an announcement that it is their xth month anniversary together. Yesterday it was their 25th month together. He thanked her and expressed his undying love; she thanked him back. Nobody else seems interested.

And posting pictures of pets? Are owners of Siamese cats particularly guilty of this? I know a couple.

People who make a statement - for example, where they went yesterday - but lift the tone of their voice at the end of the sentence as though it's a question. It sounds like they're telling you something, but then want you to confirm that what they've said is true. Weird!

There is a particularly Canadian version of this - people ending a statement with the word "eh". "It's a pretty cold day today, eh."

A middle-aged relative of mine has finally established his first serious relationship. He posts on facebook every other month or so an announcement that it is their xth month anniversary together. Yesterday it was their 25th month together. He thanked her and expressed his undying love; she thanked him back. Nobody else seems interested.

And posting pictures of pets? Are owners of Siamese cats particularly guilty of this? I know a couple.

Are there any pictures of him wearing trousers? (the ones you put on, not our lad)

Similar to this - I know of a (young) couple who only seem to talk to each other via FB! e.g. "Shopping today with the lovely Mr *** who's going to buy me a new handbag. I need to tell him I want a green one - are you reading this Mr ***?" With, of course, her unfortunate husband tagged in her post!

:facepalm:

Cyclists who cycle on the road when there is an empty cycle lane alongside the road.

These are usually the tossbags who think they are Bradley Wiggins and because they have paid a couple of thousand for a hand-crafted Italian bike, all the figure-hugging spandex gear, they think they are too cool to use cycle paths which have been constructed at great expense specifically to stop them getting knocked of their bikes.

They have also started wearing Go-Pro head cams now to provide proof if they are the victims of bad driving. I hope the Go-Pros keep whirring when the cyclists pedal through red lights, which never seem to apply to them.

Food packaging. There's too much of it, and it's too tough. I expect nature to provide it's own packaging, ranging from bananas - easy to peel - to nuts, which are hard to break into.

But there's no f**ing need for supermarkets to make it as hard to get into a pack of meat/cheese/fruit/vegetables than it is to get the drawers off Anne Widdicombe. On occasions, I have given up in frustration (at trying to open the packaging, not getting the virginal anne's knicks off) and just thrown the ravaged but defiantly unopened pack into the bin.

Bus drivers/taxi drivers; Yes, you might earn you living from the road, but you don't actually own it. Not unless you can produce a certificate of purchase that shows me you have bought the stretch of road you are being an arsehole on.

Tesco petrol stations; Your petrol might be cheap and tempting, but your pumps have actually got to work to allow motorists to put it into the their cars and buy it.

And if you offer a 'Pay at pump' option make sure the bloody card readers work. Especially if you are trying to pay with a bloody Tesco credit card!! There's no bloody point in offering a 'Pay at Pump' facility if you still have to go into the kiosk.

And in the kiosk, please try and ensure there is more than one till working.

Middle-lane hoggers; Yes, I despise them as much as other people. My understanding was that legislation has been brought in to make this an offence. Why haven't I seen the Feds cracking down on this on our motorways.?

I'm just getting warmed up now....

Bloody hell I could of written that....plus w8nkers that take ages getting round corners when been sat at lights for about 10 minutes when I am about 8-10th in the queue and need to get through the lights you tw8ts!

How long does it take you to turn the bloody wheel?

Pap

Can we simply add "FB people who share pictures of kittens/puppies" etc

Oh and those who use that bloody new cartoon app. As in "Fred was going to have his lunch" type bullkrap

I suppose that an international man of mystery such as yourself would be more used to eating pups than cooing at them. I'm a dog man and therefore a sucker for pup pics, especially when a good mate gets a dog.

You have my unwavering support on the other issue though. It's like a plague of morons suddenly believing they have creative skills.

Leaf blowers, plus especially idiots who hire men with leaf blowers to blow the leaves from the rest home opposite, into the street at 08:00 in the morning. Never picking up a single leaf. Just blowing them around. Setting thier alarm clock to come round again and blow leaves, futile noisy waste of space.

Leaf blowers, plus especially idiots who hire men with leaf blowers to blow the leaves from the rest home opposite, into the street at 08:00 in the morning. Never picking up a single leaf. Just blowing them around. Setting thier alarm clock to come round again and blow leaves, futile noisy waste of space.

Leaf blowers - whoever invented this item should be shot. Half the time, landscapers are using them on a windy day! What is the point. Get out the rakes and use some muscle power. It's good for you and doesn't waste energy.

Like people that like saying like a lot and like say it like several times like every sentence like.

My daughter does this. Here is the comeback you must use.

"Dad, we've got to be there in like, 20 minutes"

"What, like 19 minutes or 21?"

Another vote from me for small talk.

Look, buddy, I don't want to share any of my personal details with you, and we can both look out of the window to see what the weather is like.......I have no interest in the details of your drive to work, I don't want to know what your wife thinks about your tattoo, and I have no interest whatsoever in anything about your daughter unless she is over 18 and told you she wants to bang me.

On a side note, I am very glad that my intuition has served a purpose and guided me away from attending any gym or fitness club. From what I've learned about them from this thread, most of the members are there for nefarious purposes.

Another vote from me for small talk.

Look, buddy, I don't want to share any of my personal details with you, and we can both look out of the window to see what the weather is like.......I have no interest in the details of your drive to work, I don't want to know what your wife thinks about your tattoo, and I have no interest whatsoever in anything about your daughter unless she is over 18 and told you she wants to bang me. .

The most irritating small-talkers are barbers, especially those that can’t cut hair and small-talk simultaneously. One old boy took over forty minutes to give me a trim – every time he opened his mouth he stopped cutting ffs!

I resolved that if I ever went there again, when asked how I wanted my haircut, I would answer: ‘In total silence, please.’

That's strictly a solipsistic oxymoron. You can't declare yourself self-aware - by definition only others can do that. So delete self-aware. Rest is fine.

What I meant was that I'm fully aware that I'm capable of being an arsehole, Mr Logic - a penny that doesn't seem to have dropped in your head.