Cardiff v Saints build up

Batman

What the hell is that team? Thought Clyne and Davis were back and lovren injured now. What are they doing in the training ground? So many injuries!

Nobody at the club has said Clyne and Davis were back, it was just media speculation. Lovren isn't injured he has a bug. Possibly the same one Shaw had.

Let's be positive, the back for are all decent players, it's just Gazza I'm worried about.

so no lovren and gazzaclowna still in goal = defeat

Good betting odds for a Cardiff win. I suspect given this team sheet it's worth £10 on a Cardiff win. Betting with head not heart…. our defence is simply too poor with Gazza's indecisiveness. We can score, dominate in midfield, pass and show some great spirit up front - but without a solid keeper and central defenders we are too susceptible to a couple of moments of quality from Cardiff.

You never know though, and I for one am hoping to lose a tenner! :) Come on Saints!!

Fair enough. Another case of not quite fit enough, but we'll stick him on the bench anyway? I cannot believe they wouldn't put him in goal if he was fully fit.

It does put the calls to start Cropper into perspective though. The professional coaches who train them every day have clearly decided Gazza > Unfit Kelvin > Cropper.

Clearly Gazza is the best we have at the moment. He may be a liability but there isn't much we can do until the January sales start. I believe Debenhams' are doing 40% keepers.

There's a case to be made for stability in goal as well, when you've made three changes to the back four.

There's also a case to be made for ditching stability when your goalkeeper has conceded 10 goals in his last 4 and a bit games. Not that Kelvin is much of an alternative option IMO. We really have been exposes with Boruc's absence.

It does put the calls to start Cropper into perspective though. The professional coaches who train them every day have clearly decided Gazza > Unfit Kelvin > Cropper.

Clearly Gazza is the best we have at the moment. He may be a liability but there isn't much we can do until the January sales start. I believe Debenhams' are doing 40% keepers.

But training is totally different to a match environment. Gazza has not once looked comfortable or confident, regardless of how well he does in training.

Get a grip for christs sake. There's more than enough there for get something, Yoshida should have an easier time than recent appearances. Only weak link is Gazza.

With that defence you' ve got to be worried, we're hardly prolific in front of goal. Big performance due from Rickie

There's also a case to be made for ditching stability when your goalkeeper has conceded 10 goals in his last 4 and a bit games. Not that Kelvin is much of an alternative option IMO. We really have been exposes with Boruc's absence.

Well indeed, but we don't know how fit (or even how good) Davis is at the moment.

With that defence you' ve got to be worried, we're hardly prolific in front of goal. Big performance due from Rickie

Why? Shaw and Fonte are first choice, Chambers has been excellent and it was widely agreed that Yoshida was solid last season. If he can recreate that form there's no reason they shouldn't perform as a unit.

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 1m

A late change to the #saintsfc squad vs #CardiffCity. Kelvin Davis returns to the bench to replace the injured Cody Cropper.

Davis only on the bench because Cropper picked up a late injury.

So Davis wasn't injured before hand!?

Only two regular outfield subs in Ward-Prowse and Ramierez not much strength on the bench today!

Gallagher will pose a threat if required.

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 1m

A late change to the #saintsfc squad vs #CardiffCity. Kelvin Davis returns to the bench to replace the injured Cody Cropper.

Davis only on the bench because Cropper picked up a late injury.

I've never known a season of injuries like this one. It's relentless

Righto. When was it that opinion changed then? As everyone thought he and Lovren would be first choice this season.

I never change my opinion, I'm correct from the outset. He is however slightly better then Jos. I'd like to see Gallagher get a decent amount of game time today since that Italian ***t's gone missing again.

But training is totally different to a match environment. Gazza has not once looked comfortable or confident, regardless of how well he does in training.

If Gazza looks more capable in training, what makes you think Cropper will be better in a first team game?

We shouldn't compromise a young lad's career by chucking him in when he isn't ready in some wild attempt to appease a short term injury crisis. We shouldn't have given Davis a new contract and should have signed someone better in summer. It's done now though so no point in moaning about it.

Should be strong enough to get something. Only real weak link is Gazzaniga (as long as Yoshida isn't off form).

Yoshida is a 'mistake per game' player, although not in the Hoiveld OG mould his lapses often gift chances away.

Another defeat beckons

Sad to say, I agree.