Wanyama 'hopefully' back for FA Cup game

Batman

The competition for places will really heat up with his return. Yet I guess fresh injuries will necessitate chances for others. JWP seems to have become a spare part who doesn't quite fit in anymore. Hope it doesn't effect his development and confidence.

I think Cork is great and his distribution is miles better than Wanyama's. However, Vic does give as a lot more defensive protection than Cork as he doesn't venture as far forward. I am slightly puzzled as to why MP has been playing Jack in the 'anchor' position and having Morgan further advanced. I'd have played Morgan slightly deeper and Cork further forward.

The competition for places will really heat up with his return. Yet I guess fresh injuries will necessitate chances for others. JWP seems to have become a spare part who doesn't quite fit in anymore. Hope it doesn't effect his development and confidence.

yes, 19 year old JWP who has played in every league game doesn't seem to fit. I hope being involved in all league and cup games doesn't hinder his progress.

Same old trolls dangling the bait I see, well done in the main for ignoring it...

I think we have missed him majorly, much more defensively minded then cork (who played v well yesterday) and was improving before the injury, needlessly wastes possession at times but allows morgan and the others push on.

Getting him and Boruc fit is massive.

Same old trolls dangling the bait I see, well done in the main for ignoring it...

I think we have missed him majorly, much more defensively minded then cork (who played v well yesterday) and was improving before the injury, needlessly wastes possession at times but allows morgan and the others push on.

Getting him and Boruc fit is massive.

I think in fact you're stirring a little. We have seriously missed Wanyama's physical presence. Cork is a better passer, but the Premier league is all about power!

Wanyama is a solid unit, Cork is more of a scrapper. Both play the same role but execute it in different ways.

Personally I think we look more solid with Vic so would go for him. Given the players we have, Cork is a squad player / first pick DM cover. I hope that's enough to keep him.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

I think Cork is great and his distribution is miles better than Wanyama's. However, Vic does give as a lot more defensive protection than Cork as he doesn't venture as far forward. I am slightly puzzled as to why MP has been playing Jack in the 'anchor' position and having Morgan further advanced. I'd have played Morgan slightly deeper and Cork further forward.

Cork further forward? :lol:

Out of those two, Morgan is head and shoulders better attacking-wise.

Wanyama is a very good player, but there's definitely been a case of him getting built up in his absence. He had games where he was immense and games where he was poor. We could certainly use an on form Wanyama though. I don't think he's quite as key as Boruc and Lovren, but he probably just edges it over cork, who has done a solid job in his absence and has proved that he's a genuine pl player.

More than hang anything it's going to be good to have choices again.being in a position of having to play fox, Gazzaniga or one of Jos or Yoshida has not been comfortable, it's our lack of squad depth that's made us drop, getting back to first choices is going to give us another chance to push on at least.

We also missed Cork yesterday after he was subbed!

Don't buy it - West Brom aren't Chelsea (when Cork's absence hurt us more). Remember WBA only really threatened in the last 5 mins or so. Cork was subbed in the 60th odd min.

They gambled and threw the kitchen sink at us, leaving big holes (e.g. Ramirez's long break) while the pace/movement of a fresh Vydra and Berahino troubled a tiring side. Cork's sub was a minor factor this time.

Edited by shurlock

Don't buy it - West Brom aren't Chelsea (when Cork's absence hurt us more). Remember WBA only really threatened in the last 5 mins or so. Cork was subbed in the 60th odd min.

They gambled and threw the kitchen sink at us, leaving big holes (e.g. Ramirez's long break) while the pace/movement of a fresh Vydra and Berahino troubled a tiring side. Cork's sub was a minor factor this time.

Utter crap

Corks much more sound then Davis whos industry helped out immensely but his defensive positioning isnt as good as Corks, yes it didnt help that WBA came at us more after the goal and also Lambert didnt seem available as an out ball even less as the game wore on but ultimately there was a large DM shaped hole in the midfield when cork left.

Utter crap

Corks much more sound then Davis whos industry helped out immensely but his defensive positioning isnt as good as Corks, yes it didnt help that WBA came at us more after the goal and also Lambert didnt seem available as an out ball even less as the game wore on but ultimately there was a large DM shaped hole in the midfield when cork left.

You're missing the point (a recurring theme)

Cork is better defensively than Davis (never said otherwise) but given WBA's general feebleness (contrast with Chelsea) and Schneiderlin's presence (contrast with Everton), the idea that Cork's sub made a massive difference is b*****ks.

They didn't look much better after we scored until they went for broke at the death and played three up top.

The only difference it made was that we got a goal and won the game. End of.

Edited by shurlock

Because Morgan is a better footballer and a greater goal threat. MP has pretty much said this - think it was in the morgan interview last month.

I thought cork had his worst game since he has returned to the side. His touch wasn't quite good enough at times which led to a few last ditch stretches to recover and on a couple occasions he lost the ball completely and in dangerous areas. That is not typical of him but might explain why mp has been reluctant to play him over the last 6 months.

Vw is not immune to the odd miss control and stray pass so I am not sure his return to the side is going to suddenly catapult us back into a champions league position. He doesn't venture forward much and he passes square and backwards even more than cork so possibly we will slow the game down more and dominate possession, which is what we did earlier in the season and seemed to work well. Our early season football was not all terribly fun to watch I might add, with very few chances created (Fulham game aside), although when you are winning, as we were, that tends to be overlooked. Having said that we haven't been creating hundreds of chances in recent games anyway.

You're missing the point (a recurring theme)

Cork is better defensively than Davis (never said otherwise) but given WBA's general feebleness (contrast with Chelsea) and Schneiderlin's presence (contrast with Everton), the idea that Cork's sub made a massive difference is b*****ks.

They didn't look much better after we scored until they went for broke at the death and played three up top.

The only difference it made was that we got a goal and won the game. End of.

What point did I miss then ? Considering I answered your two points about them pressing ? I merely observed that they found more space in our midfield when Cork went of, which they did.

We can argue all day over whether in reality it was them pressing more or cork leaving the field that had more of an effect ? Neither of us can say conclusively either way TBH.

Regardless Cork was having a decent game yesterday, admitedly WBA were pretty pedestrian. Were else have I missed the point ?

Wasn't cork replaced by the guy that made the goal? And made it with a pass cork wouldn't have picked in a month of Sundays.

Sub makes goal, team keep clean sheet, supporters moan about managers change -bizarre.

Cork is average and was average yesterday. Victor is a better player, and the defence play better with him in front of them.

Wasn't cork replaced by the guy that made the goal? And made it with a pass cork wouldn't have picked in a month of Sundays.

Sub makes goal, team keep clean sheet, supporters moan about managers change -bizarre.

Cork is average and was average yesterday. Victor is a better player, and the defence play better with him in front of them.

Not entirely sure who is moaning at it. Were screaming out for the creativity Ramirez provided. Im just saying it opened us up a bit, which was a gamble I suppose but it worked out so im not too bothered.

Id personally have taken Lambert off who was probably our worst player out there but there you go.

The threads about Vic, who I feel we miss. Not as much as we missed Boruc but definately still miss.

Cork played well yesterday but lost the ball in some dangerous positions, artempting to shield and hold players off which would never happen with Vic. Will be good to have him back.

Christ on a bike!

You must only listen to the games on the radio.

No one turns the ball over more than Wanyama. Sure, he is a real physical presence in the middle of the park, BUT he can't pass to save his life.

Christ on a bike!

You must only listen to the games on the radio.

No one turns the ball over more than Wanyama. Sure, he is a real physical presence in the middle of the park, BUT he can't pass to save his life.

Would you say Lovren is a bad passer? (they have the same pass completion percent and only 0.7% behind Lallana btw)

Absolutely this - took the words out of my mouth.