One out of history

Noodles34

François Van der Elst

Wasn't that from a Jim Steele error ? If its the game & goal I'm thinking of.

But another contender, from that game is the referee, Rudi Gloekner from recollection, not giving a definite penalty at an important stage of the game.

Wasn't that from a Jim Steele error ? If its the game & goal I'm thinking of.

But another contender, from that game is the referee, Rudi Gloekner from recollection, not giving a definite penalty at an important stage of the game.

It is - at least we got one penalty.

Out of interest - why? Would those 2 points have saved us?

Maybe Bent and Downing combined :)

Those 2 points would have saved us, yes. On goal difference. Unless the Skates had shipped 7 to West Brom on the last day, which lets face it, even the Premier League couldn't have ignored.

17 West Brom 38 5 8 6 17 24 1 8 10 19 37 -25 34

18 C Palace 38 6 5 8 21 19 1 7 11 20 43 -21 33 ®

19 Norwich 38 7 5 7 29 32 0 7 12 13 45 -35 33 ®

20 Saints 38 5 9 5 30 30 1 5 13 15 36 -21 32 ®

Leon Best, Derby away, play offs.

Gutted at the time (still my fave away Saints game ever) but who would now swap that promotion with our subsequent 'journey'? That team would have struggled massively in the Prem and there's every chance they would have come straight back down. I think we have subsequently travelled a much more exciting, interesting and entertaining road, and as a bonus ball we are now in a much stronger position that we ever could have dreamt under the Lowe/Burley dream team..... thank you Leon Best, your OG led indirectly to some of my best Saints-times ever.

One person to take out of history which would change a course for Saints.

for me, Andy Richie. Without him we may have won something in the 90's

Agreed but I blamed Roger Milford (The Ref) more in that quarter final than Andy Ritchie. To this day I haven't a clue where he found all that injury time that then enabled Richie to get the goal

Heath for me

at the time we were the best side in the country as we proved after the semi final who knows where it would have led after Wembley

Well we may have won the final, but would it have made any long term difference? Maybe another bash at the Cup Winners Cup I suppose.

Hmmm. Anything pre-76 would change that course of events. Anything pre-Leibherr would change that course of events. Anything pre-last season would Change the events that led to promotion. Wouldn't want to affect our great start to the season. Therefore I would have to go for Olivier Giroud. Started our run of bad form this season. What a ****.