Southampton fans desperate for cup success

DuncanRG

Attendance at Sunderland: 859

Flooding will have affected many, as well as the early kick off, but cup attendances have been poor this season. It's partly because of the weaker sides that get put out, but I think it's fair to say everyone expected a strong team out on Saturday.

And even if we knew the team in advance - who wouldn't travel to support Southampton as they tried to progress in this vital tournament?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is 859 actually that poor when you take into account...?

- you had to leave Hampshire in the very early hours of the 14th/15th February

- it is a 630 mile round trip for a lunchtime kickoff

- the country is hit badly by storms and transport network affected

- it was live on TV

I think when you consider all of that combined and not in isolation, then it isn't that bad an away following given the circumstances.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But it was a game postponed from a Sat so many had tickets but didn't go or made an effort rather than waste them.

Wrong. That was the 2nd season in the 3rd div and the match was finally played in February 2011. A dull 0-0 draw. We went there first in November 09 and won 3-1 in wind not far short of last weekend.

I was at both and we had more at the first game.

Very good support if you ask me.

If only we had taken that many in the early 90's.

I'm willing to bet if the game had been SMS we would have a much better turnout than Sunderland's small crowd. I went to both FA cup home games but the truth is home games are expensive enough when you consider travel and other expenses let alone traveling all the way up north. I think those who went deserve a lot of credit but using the number of away fans as an indication that no one is bothered by winning the FA cup is erroneous IMO.

Fully agree with Adrian. Plus BT Sport made this fixture far easier to watch from home or the pub, only to the detriment of those that actually wanted to travel.

On the day it felt like decent support. Actually I only expected half as many of our fans so was heartened upon reaching the concourse. Realistically you have to look at how the club has approached the other rounds - many may have wrongly assumed that we'd put out the strongest squad, but the warning signs were there. Sub-consciously or otherwise I'm sure that put many off.

Ultimately I believe this wasted opportunity will only speed up the decline of our cup attendances. My lot had a good time and it was certainly an experience, but I'd think twice about doing the same again.

The reasons against attending a match like Saturday's are stacked a mile high. Beyond blind loyalty or romantic dreams of cup heroics there's little in the 'for' column.

This was the 50th season I have watched Saints in the FA Cup and in all that time we have reached:

2 Finals. 76+ 03.

2 Semi Finals. 84+86.

and 3 Q/ Finals. 79+92+05.

7 out of 50. That is pi ss poor.

Probably a major factor in some of us not being too affected by the FA Cup.

Amazing support from those that went to Sunderland. Sounded louder (from what I heard on TV) than the thousands of fans who were at the Burnley game last month (from what I heard in person)!

I would definitely have thought twice about going especially as it was on TV if I had known that MP was not going to start with his strongest 11 and take the opportunity of getting to Wembley. One of my travellling companions works nights as a HG truck driver, she battled through the storms on Friday night, got home at 530 am, quick shower and then back in the car (as passenger) to go to Sunderland. I just would have liked the club put in as much effort as she had.

I would definitely have thought twice about going especially as it was on TV if I had known that MP was not going to start with his strongest 11 and take the opportunity of getting to Wembley. One of my travellling companions works nights as a HG truck driver, she battled through the storms on Friday night, got home at 530 am, quick shower and then back in the car (as passenger) to go to Sunderland. I just would have liked the club put in as much effort as she had.
All the away fans were/are superb, but I just dont think it was down to the team selection or MP. If you analise it we lost to yet another wonder strike and players who you would normally expect to score missed their easy chances.

Yes if Jrod etc played from the start we may have won, but as youknow they may have been caught in the same malaise as the rest.

Some weeks ago there was an article re our preparation for away games eg taking mattresses and chefs etc, can anyone tell me whether that has now changed?

This was the 50th season I have watched Saints in the FA Cup and in all that time we have reached:

2 Finals. 76+ 03.

2 Semi Finals. 84+86.

and 3 Q/ Finals. 79+92+05.

7 out of 50. That is pi ss poor.

We got to the 1/4 final in 96. Beaten at Old trafford in an evening game. Perfectly good opener by Shipperley ruled out.

Don't forget the League Cup final in 78.

Our record in that is even worse, but I would leave that till the next time. 79 by the way.

We got to the 1/4 final in 96. Beaten at Old trafford in an evening game. Perfectly good opener by Shipperley ruled out.

Sorry I left that out.:blush: I was there. I did remember it in the car this morning but forgot to include it later.

so you're the Jonah:lol:

Went to Hull instead. I must be ITK. :smug:

The only trouble with these arguments about poor cup attendances is that they are based on a complete misunderstanding. FA Cup 3rd round attendances this year were the highest for 34 years and those for the 4th round pretty good too (the 5th round has not been completed yet) so overall with two Wembley semi-finals to come it would be very surprising if a 30 year record isn't broken this year. What I think is overlooked is that big (ish) clubs at home to small (ish) clubs and matches between clubs in the same division too often have always been subject to a poor turn-out. On the other hand matches between two big names; local derbies; and small clubs at home to big clubs have always attracted crowds and still do! And look at Sheffield United vs Nottingham Forest. Some apathy.

All the away fans were/are superb, but I just dont think it was down to the team selection or MP. If you analise it we lost to yet another wonder strike and players who you would normally expect to score missed their easy chances.

Yes if Jrod etc played from the start we may have won, but as youknow they may have been caught in the same malaise as the rest.

Some weeks ago there was an article re our preparation for away games eg taking mattresses and chefs etc, can anyone tell me whether that has now changed?

7b3873a867d3ae49219c5d4.jpg

no one really cares about the cups. not in any large numbers anyway

the attendances are shyte

yeah i spose so, i was thinking tho that if you take season tickets out of the equation it's prob comparable to league games. I.e. if Sunderland at home in league was for some reason not a season ticket game + you had to pay extra, we'd prob only sell 20K to that also.

We had more at Sunderland than in the league game though.

im talking in general

all over the country, the attendances are down.

maybe we got a couple of hundred more for that particular game

been like that for years, remember going to SMS in 2003 when pompey first came up

not a chance in the league for a ticket, yet the league cup game earlier in the season (when we had not played them for years)

had a fair few empty seats

im talking in general

all over the country, the attendances are down.

maybe we got a couple of hundred more for that particular game

You said "no-one really cares", I'm telling you that more of our fans did for Saturday's game than the league game. Not bad looking crowds at Arsenal, Man City or Sheff Utd over the weekend either.

You said "no-one really cares", I'm telling you that more of our fans did for Saturday's game than the league game. Not bad looking crowds at Arsenal, Man City or Sheff Utd over the weekend either.

and I went further to add that attendances are down. I should have in my original point

Frustrated that the PLAYERS let us down at Sunderland.........and they know it..:mcinnes:

They will make up for it Versus West Ham and Liverpool:)

I had a dream that we win the FA Cup in 2016.....;)

Hopefully our Champions Cup games against Barcelona , Bayern Munich etc don't interfere too much with our FA Cup hurrah:D:D