One win against top 10 sides ALL SEASON

Glasgow_Saint

Then you could say I’m ambitious and want my club to succeed, while you’re content and happy with mid table.

I respect your opinions and ambitions

I am however never happy with 2nd best

for me 6th was the best we could hope for & 9th the lowest. 9th + a cup final was always my minimum expectation

If youre happy with 9th what was your expectations for this season?

So what I gather is the best we could achieve is 6th, but you're never happy with 2nd best, so you think we should be finishing top of the league?

During the summer 65-75% of posters were predicting a 5th to 8th place finish, we had a number of threads with a similar "where will we finish" theme.

Funny how alot of those are now "delighted" with 9th

Really? Top half maybe.

Think you got your percentages a bit. I would estimate that at least 60% predicted 9th-12th, with a few going for 7th or 8th. 65% 5th to 8th? Few deluded posters on here but not that many. If it bothers you that much, go and support Chelsea, they've got a decent record against the top 10

It's only an 'issue' because you make it one. I'm happy with the way the season is going, and happy with the potential the squad obviously have.

Then you could say I’m ambitious and want my club to succeed, while you’re content and happy with mid table.
Where did I say I wasn't ambitious for the club ? I'm just not a petulant 'I want it NOW!!!' kid.

I respect your opinions and ambitions

I am however never happy with 2nd best

for me 6th was the best we could hope for & 9th the lowest. 9th + a cup final was always my minimum expectation

Make your mind up.

If youre happy with 9th what was your expectations for this season?

Upper mid table.

During the summer 65-75% of posters were predicting a 5th to 8th place finish, we had a number of threads with a similar "where will we finish" theme.

Before the season starts we all have aspirations, as the season progresses we can temper these with a touch of reality and adjust our expectations. By the end of the season we will finish where our aggregated performances merit.

No it's not going to happen, because the teams above us have better players, don't they? Yet these teams above us want our players..... Something doesn't add up

Where should we be in the table? Who should we be above? Which of the teams above us are actually worse than us?

These are the three questions he'll never answer.

Where we were 3 years ago is irrelevant - you cant talk about "getting a grip" and then live in the past? In 2009 Man C were 10th & 2008 14th!! The past seasons positions mean nothing when you look at them today

If we beat the teams at the bottom and beat the teams at the top - we wont be "dandy" we will be average/mid table as we are now - & that’s the whole issue

If we beat the teams at the bottom and beat the teams at the top - we wont be "dandy" we will be the first team ever to win all their games in the PL.

Man City came 3rd in the 3rd tier in 1998-99, it took them a further 12 seasons to break into the Top 4, though it took them only a further 4 years to achieve 9th (strange coincidence) but another 3 years before they reached the top 10 again and have stayed there since. So we could argue that we are doing as well if not better than City did (they got promotion from L1 in 3rd place, we got 2nd, we both won the FL Trophy when we were in the 3rd tier). A comparison with Citeh is quite illuminating and shows that we are doing rather well.

Turning to Citeh's neighbours, United have only beaten one Top 9 team this season. By your standards they must be crap, yet they are still 2 places above us, playing in the CL (at least until the Bayern match) and still trying to qualify for the Europa Mickey Mouse League.

8th place is still very achievable this season, especially if we beat the barcodes this weekend, we could conceivably still get 7th, though have to concede thats unlikely after Sunday. Think the boys have done good this season, probably better than I expected (I think I predicted top half) and if we had a bigger squad we would have finished higher than we have.

So stop your continual negativity.

If as GS says, it doesn't add up that teams above us want our better players, yet we aren't higher in the league than them.

Who exactly do the teams that win the league sign players from?

Clyne & Jrod came from teams below us, a division below us really - they both did ok.

The point is they sign their best players, not the whole squad.

Pretty simple really isn't it.

If as GS says, it doesn't add up that teams above us want our better players, yet we aren't higher in the league than them.

Who exactly do the teams that win the league sign players from?

Clyne & Jrod came from teams below us, a division below us really - they both did ok.

The point is they sign their best players, not the whole squad.

Pretty simple really isn't he.

Edited for you.

Don't buy those percentage stats. I recall a lot were saying 8th-10th but that's beside the point. Assuming your stat are correct, are people not allowed to change their expectation throughout the season. At the beginning of the season I was more optimistic than 9th (I expected 8th) but circumstances changed (Osvaldo was a disaster who we lost for half a season and injuries to key players are critical times, uncertanty on the board, media reports of players and manager walking after Cortese left) so 9th is a pretty good finish, especially considering where we were last season.

I think regardless of the expectations from the start of the season, most of us would be happy with progress we've made from last season to this and there's a lot of promise for next season.

Which teams did people think we'd finish above?

Man c

Man U

Chelsea

Arsenal

I presume everybody had us below them. That leaves spurs,Everton, Liverpool and Newcastle. We will still finish above Newcastle imo. Leaving Liverpool, Everton and spurs. Liverpool are the most improved team of the season and could win the league. Everton and spurs have been top 5/6 for the past few years. Therefore surely 8th would be pretty much the best anyone apart from the deluded amongst us could hope for. Is 9th really so bad bearing that in mind?

Which teams did people think we'd finish above?

Man c

Man U

Chelsea

Arsenal

I presume everybody had us below them. That leaves spurs,Everton, Liverpool and Newcastle. We will still finish above Newcastle imo. Leaving Liverpool, Everton and spurs. Liverpool are the most improved team of the season and could win the league. Everton and spurs have been top 5/6 for the past few years. Therefore surely 8th would be pretty much the best anyone apart from the deluded amongst us could hope for. Is 9th really so bad bearing that in mind?

Very good indeed but the issue is how can we progress? Your suggestions? If we sell how can we improve? Can a club this size truly compete in todays climate? Do you think we could go against Everton/Spurs let alone Liverpool or United?

Of course we can not, it was a dream sold by Cortese and naive believers swallowed it, I was down south over the weekend and our fans do suffer from delusions of granduer, it ws pointed out to me we produce superb players, of course I know this but what is the point if we are a nursery for others clubs to pick as they please, will all that money go back into player investement? If not then surely we are playing with fire

I dont think half of our fans actually know how big some football clubs in this Country are, United and Liverpool are two of the biggest in the World and they will always be up there, you then have Chelsea and City who are bankrolled, Arsenal buy well from teams like ours and Spurs and Everton will nearly always be there or there abouts and if they are not for one season or so then we could get lucky but it will always come down to money not the academy but money in retaining and purchasing players to actaully go out and attempt to win things.

Will that ever happen to a club our size?

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.

Very good indeed but the issue is how can we progress? Your suggestions? If we sell how can we improve? Can a club this size truly compete in todays climate? Do you think we could go against Everton/Spurs let alone Liverpool or United?

Of course we can not, it was a dream sold by Cortese and naive believers swallowed it, I was down south over the weekend and our fans do suffer from delusions of granduer, it ws pointed out to me we produce superb players, of course I know this but what is the point if we are a nursery for others clubs to pick as they please, will all that money go back into player investement? If not then surely we are playing with fire

I dont think half of our fans actually know how big some football clubs in this Country are, United and Liverpool are two of the biggest in the World and they will always be up there, you then have Chelsea and City who are bankrolled, Arsenal buy well from teams like ours and Spurs and Everton will nearly always be there or there abouts and if they are not for one season or so then we could get lucky but it will always come down to money not the academy but money in retaining and purchasing players to actaully go out and attempt to win things.

Will that ever happen to a club our size?

NOT IN A MILLION YEARS.

Woe is me eh?

Have you had another look at the shirt sponsor figures yet?

That's all very well Sanchez but has no relevance to the thread. The figures/list/ scale showed shirt sponsors. Have a look at the list on the thread and show me where it mentions nike/adidas whoever.

Go and read it again lad, you never knew such deals existed, where do you think I misread? I brought it up? You simply think the bit of the belly is all that matters and know nothing of other deals, what about the training grounds (look into that at huge clubs) as well.

Barry, I understand that there is other sponsorship money. It's simply that the figures being discussed and the scale being used to discuss our relative size to other clubs (the particular stick you were using for beating) dealt solely with shirt sponsorship. They were the only stats being used on that thread. Even the Standard Chartered/Liverpool figures which YOU posted. Where are the kit manufacturer figures and scale?

Barry, I understand that there is other sponsorship money. It's simply that the figures being discussed and the scale being used to discuss our relative size to other clubs (the particular stick you were using for beating) dealt solely with shirt sponsorship. They were the only stats being used on that thread. Even the Standard Chartered/Liverpool figures which YOU posted. Where are the kit manufacturer figures and scale?

And by the way, I have not been a lad or a boy for a more years than I care to remember sonny.

I mentioned and I did not misread it at all, I actually stated the real money is the kit sponsor, go on read it again, the Liverpool paste was an example of a shirt sponsorship worth something, I started by saying you are only worth what someone is prepared to pay, again read it, we will never be in that category even with our best team in years we are a long way off the pace.

Not pessimism, realism.

I mentioned and I did not misread it at all, I actually stated the real money is the kit sponsor, go on read it again, the Liverpool paste was an example of a shirt sponsorship worth something, I started by saying you are only worth what someone is prepared to pay, again read it, we will never be in that category even with our best team in years we are a long way off the pace.

Not pessimism, realism.

I have read that Barry. But it's the scale that you were using to see where we are as a club. At West Ham Level wasn't it? The only scale there is the shirt sponsorship scale.

And Barry, please look up pessimism. You are a master.

Yes West Ham, they will grow though with their new ground and what with all that brings.

No realism, there is simply no way we can ever hope to overtake without huge investment, you dont have to be part of the football establishment to know that.

We are a great club but not a big one, to grow it would costs hundreds of millions of pounds, if you were a businessman would you seriously invest that in Southampton FC, would you really?

Yes West Ham, they will grow though with their new ground and what with all that brings.

No realism, there is simply no way we can ever hope to overtake without huge investment, you dont have to be part of the football establishment to know that.

We are a great club but not a big one, to grow it would costs hundreds of millions of pounds, if you were a businessman would you seriously invest that in Southampton FC, would you really?

I certainly wouldn't invest it in West Ham.

You are missing my point. I never mentioned West Ham as a huge recipient of investment, I said they will grow as they are moving.

You also used them as a marker on a scale which you are now saying you never meant to use. Go figure.

Ha ha where?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post

Barry, do you think our next sponsorship deal will be better? Will we close the gap?

To whom though? Please tell me where you think we shall be on the scale? Next to Arsenal or more like West Ham?

So what scale are you talking about here?

Where have I changed the marker of West Ham?

It's the scale Barry. First you are comparing our size by using the shirt sponsorship scale and then you digress into other corporate sponsorship for which you provide no figures to compare. We were discussing the shirt sponsorship. That was the scale/figures we were looking at.

It's the scale Barry. First you are comparing our size by using the shirt sponsorship scale and then you digress into other corporate sponsorship for which you provide no figures to compare. We were discussing the shirt sponsorship. That was the scale/figures we were looking at.

I stated where the real money was, reading it again and I still am not convinced you knew about a kit deal at all but there we go.

West Ham are a club a but bigger than us but we could probably get a similar amount on a short deal, in 2016 and thereafter once they are in the new stadium they will be a more attractive option.

Mr Boy its not rocket science, we will always be about that medium size, West Ham will gove it a go but probably fail, in the last 50 years there have been no gatecrashers that have stayed but thats another debate and one I dont want you digressing down to try and salvage some face.

I stated where the real money was, reading it again and I still am not convinced you knew about a kit deal at all but there we go.

West Ham are a club a but bigger than us but we could probably get a similar amount on a short deal, in 2016 and thereafter once they are in the new stadium they will be a more attractive option.

Mr Boy its not rocket science, we will always be about that medium size, West Ham will gove it a go but probably fail, in the last 50 years there have been no gatecrashers that have stayed but thats another debate and one I dont want you digressing down to try and salvage some face.

Im not sure WHU are a bigger club, if so by not a lot. they certainly have a bigger wage bill and debt. Spurs Newcastle and Everton would be a lot bigger than both teams and then the top 4 bigger again

Just lol.

The mighty Manchester United are in a similar boat with 1 Win in 13 games against the top 9, so its not as if we are alone in this predicament.

What does that mean 1 in 13 games against the top 9? If that aint picking out a winning argument then I dont know what is............

We could do a lot better without actually beating many more top sides; What we need to master next is winning against sides that I'd categorise as "hard to beat" (well for us anyway). The Stokes,Sunderland and West Ham's of this world. After 2 seasons back in the PL we haven't beaten any of them once. Last season we got 4 points against them IIRC and this season we've got 5.

A couple more points against that sort of side will move us forward.