Cork and Fonte

Lallana's Left Peg

Rare you let a decent player run into the last 12 months of his deal without either getting him to sign a new one or selling him. Any theories on what on earth is happening with these two as I'd quite like to keep them!

Perhaps the club want to give Koeman a chance to see them in training/pre-season games before making a decision if they fit into his plans.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Rare you let a decent player run into the last 12 months of his deal without either getting him to sign a new one or selling him. Any theories on what on earth is happening with these two as I'd quite like to keep them!

Wasn't the latest (as of around a month ago) that we hadn't been returning their phone calls.

The "latest" was that "we" were waiting for a new manager to be appointed before any decisions were to be made. He is now so you would imagine that decsions will be made soon. They may hav already been offered new contracts and are busy seeing if their agents can find them better deals for all we know.

As regards Fonte, I think Koeman is assessing whether or not he can"mould" Osvaldo into a 100% dedicated Saints player

If he can, we have an Italian International. If he can't, SFC will have to sell at a big loss

Cork ?? Haven't got a clue

If he didn't, the best action would have still been to get them signed up then sell them for more.

And if he doesn't want to keep them, he's a sh1te judge of players.

Considering the level he played and managed at I wouldnt say he was a ****e judge of players. Every manaager hs their own idea of what they want and what they dont want. Lets see what happens shall we?

Surely they simply wanted to leave Koeman with some input.

I cannot understand the treatment of Jack Cork - I think he was generally excellent last year and we should sign him up for the longer term.

Yeah crazy for me. Reasonably young, british, talented, hard working. One of my favourite players of the current bunch and i would be majorly disappointed if we didn't sign him down to a long-term contract.

Which is what I said 'IF he doesn't want to keep them'.

IF IF IF he doesn't want 2 consistently good premier league performers who seem happy to be here during a difficult time when lots are keen to leave, then regardless of the level he has played and managed, I will seriously question his judgement.

Which is your right, but it is his job. You need to consider also what terms they are looking for. It isnt just a question of carrying on as before. I expect they will both look for more money. If the club feel they can get better value elsewhere that is their call. Still, all conjecture so lets see what happens.

Yeah crazy for me. Reasonably young, british, talented, hard working. One of my favourite players of the current bunch and i would be majorly disappointed if we didn't sign him down to a long-term contract.

Contracts aren't a one way street, perhaps there have been preliminary discussions at some time or other and the proposed terms were neither right for the player or the club.

While Fonte has probably reached his maximum level with us, Cork could be a decent squad player for a team like Spurs or Liverpool. Both are dependable and low maintenance and I do find it strange that this wasn't a priority issue following the board restructuring earlier in the year. Would be pretty shoddy if they both walk away on free-transfers next summer.

Contracts aren't a one way street, perhaps there have been preliminary discussions at some time or other and the proposed terms were neither right for the player or the club.

I'd find it very worrying if we are incapable or unwilling to offer him acceptable terms to someone of his quality.

I'd find it very worrying if we are incapable or unwilling to offer him acceptable terms to someone of his quality.

Couldn't say, perhaps it was on Cortese's "to do" list and he took it with him. Who knows really. The upheaval at the club last January (or was it October) has left a lot of

situations in abeyance, presumably someone will take care of it sooner or later. Was it not said (can't remember when or by whom) that those 2 players did have new contract offers but that they were withdrawn? Perhaps I'm getting that wrong but I've got an inkling that I'm not. The veracity of the original statement though, that I couldn't guarantee.

Couldn't say, perhaps it was on Cortese's "to do" list and he took it with him. Who knows really. The upheaval at the club last January (or was it October) has left a lot of

situations in abeyance, presumably someone will take care of it sooner or later. Was it not said (can't remember when or by whom) that those 2 players did have new contract offers but that they were withdrawn? Perhaps I'm getting that wrong but I've got an inkling that I'm not. The veracity of the original statement though, that I couldn't guarantee.

Not really a fan of sooner or later someone will get round to it approach. Still hoping that is the reason and that contracts will get sorted soon and i won't wake to find they've left for rivals for minimal fees. That's at least preferable the notion they are not wanted.

Osvaldo doesn't want to play for SFC. The fact that he had a manager who got the best out of him didn't help so I don't think having a complete stranger will either.

I wonder if offering Fonte a new contract is dependant on Lovren staying or going, or maybe a new signing striking a partnership with Dejan (or Jose if he finally leaves)?

As for Cork, he is a neat passer and technically good- but too light and slow for a CM, especially a defensive one, where you must have at least one of these. Wanyama, if fully fit, will allow him as few starts as the ones Hooiveld had this season.

Irrespective of this, I think they are worthy of any PL squad, and definitely our starting 11, plus they seem to be less prone to transfer market bidding shenanigans, and considerably loyal to the club (as being honest, it's the best they can aspire to in their careers).

Edited by melmacian_saint

In regards to Jack Cork. My old man has been doing some work on his new house and apparently he loves it here and loves playing for saints, this however was about 2 months ago. within the last 2 weeks ive been told hes put his house up for sell, which is worrying as hes spent a bit on doing it up. All points to him leaving. will be a massive loss IMO

Previously Fonte played under Koeman, I think at Benfica, and Koeman either loaned him out or sold him. Guess this might enter into why he's not received a new contract. However Jack really deserves a new contract and conditions is concerned. Would have been Player of the Year had people realised Lallana was going to jump ship. In Jack's case, besides their bromance, I believe a lot will depend on whether Morgan stays. Were Morgan to leave maybe he won't be interested in signing an extension. Maybe he's already let the club know. Him and Morgan leaving would finish off the slender belief recent developments have left me with.

Previously Fonte played under Koeman, I think at Benfica, and Koeman either loaned him out or sold him. Guess this might enter into why he's not received a new contract. However Jack really deserves a new contract and conditions is concerned. Would have been Player of the Year had people realised Lallana was going to jump ship. In Jack's case, besides their bromance, I believe a lot will depend on whether Morgan stays. Were Morgan to leave maybe he won't be interested in signing an extension. Maybe he's already let the club know. Him and Morgan leaving would finish off the slender belief recent developments have left me with.

In Portugal the manager has almost nothing to do with who is signed and who leaves. He is by all means a coach.

Fonte arrived in January after cancelling his contract at another League club due to unpaid wages, and was loaned out a week later to another teamto carry on playing (the defence he left, Setubal, were amongst the best in Europe, conceeding only 6 goals in half a season). Plus Koeman was already under firefrom press, fans and the Benfica board so I don't even think he considered him, nor did he have anything to do with his signing.

I think Fonte's agent (who is not Peter Kenyon's mate Jorge Mendes) just found an excellent way to ensure he got paid his wages.

Yes, he lost a fair number of tackles and was less effective when pressing opponents because of it.

I think you'll find that was more the case last season after he returned from injury. Previously he was't scared to get into tackles. Just to think, but for his injury, we could have seen Jack selected for England and have him off together with Shaw and Lallana.

In regards to Jack Cork. My old man has been doing some work on his new house and apparently he loves it here and loves playing for saints, this however was about 2 months ago. within the last 2 weeks ive been told hes put his house up for sell, which is worrying as hes spent a bit on doing it up. All points to him leaving. will be a massive loss IMO

The glass half full view.

Why would he move with a year left on his contract and with a young family? Maybe he is off to a bigger gaff with his new Premier League level Southampton contract?

I think you'll find that was more the case last season after he returned from injury. Previously he was't scared to get into tackles. Just to think, but for his injury, we could have seen Jack selected for England and have him off together with Shaw and Lallana.

I do not think Jack Cork was ever in contention for the senior England squad. His passing makes him look better than what his all round game really allows him to be.

They have both Agreed new contracts its just a questions of when the News will be released

With the greatest respect you ain't Guan or KBilly so you need to expand on this statement. Where did you get this information?

I do not think Jack Cork was ever in contention for the senior England squad. His passing makes him look better than what his all round game really allows him to be.

Personally think he should have been in the squad. England are in painful need of a midfielder of his ilk, especially when there only option in the team in that role was the ageing legs of Gerrard.

Sadly England squads are rarely picked upon putting out a strong team to suit a formation but rather an accumulation of names.

P.s Would be great news if they have agreed contracts.