Callum Chambers to play right midfeild this season?

peacey

As in the title. I feel he could make this position his own this season. Very attack minded IMO and him and Clyne down the right would be perfect. Callum reminds me of a young Gareth bale and I think playing him as a wide man needs some serious consideration. What's peoples views on this? PS it really might happen as it would be perfect for Ronald Koemans total football. Wingers are essential in this style of play. PS Callum is now listed as a midfield player on the OS. Hint....

Nowhere near enough pace and doesn't have the build of a winger. Any decent left-back will have him in his pocket all day long.

Put it this way, can you imagine someone like Shaw giving him a sniff if that was the right-wing/left-back duel against Man United?

Horrendous idea that I'm 95% certain would be doomed to fail and could well be a bugbear with the fans this season if we're going to try and save money by 'converting' a player rather than buying a proper right winger.

You're equating Chambers with one of the quickest players in football?

Chambers is slow. He has a lot of good qualities, but speed is not one of them. He'd be a poor winger.

As in the title. I feel he could make this position his own this season. Very attack minded IMO and him and Clyne down the right would be perfect. Callum reminds me of a young Gareth bale and I think playing him as a wide man needs some serious consideration. What's peoples views on this? PS it really might happen as it would be perfect for Ronald Koemans total football. Wingers are essential in this style of play. PS Callum is now listed as a midfield player on the OS. Hint....

I would like to see him play in a 3 at the back or playing in front of the back 4. He strikes me as a pretty versatile guy, but I dont think right side of midfield would suit his game. Maybe Clyne could do it, but I dont think its as easy to switch full backs to wide mid as it appears, particularly in the modern game. You could fit them both in if Chambers was the right sided centre back in a 3 , with Clyne as the wing back.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Wiki has him as a right back, but once refers to him as "the midfielder:

Calum Chambers (born 20 January 1995) is an English footballer who plays as a right back for Premier League club Southampton.

The midfielder made his full debut for Southampton on 28 August 2012

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calum_Chambers)

I think he started out as a midfielder and we moved him into defence as his qualities are more suited to right back than right wing. Having said that, I think he could be suited to a wing back style, like the Dutch have employed at this World Cup, where Daley Blind has not really looked like an out an out winger or full back!

From the Saints OS: " A tall, talented and creative midfielder with good awareness and a quality final product in his locker, Chambers was one of four youngsters promoted to the First Team ahead of the 2012/13 season."

Whenever I've read that Chambers was a midfielder as well as a right back, I always pictured him in a central role a la Davis. But perhaps that's just me. It seems like he wouldn't have the pace to compete on the wings?

From the Saints OS: " A tall, talented and creative midfielder with good awareness and a quality final product in his locker, Chambers was one of four youngsters promoted to the First Team ahead of the 2012/13 season."

Whenever I've read that Chambers was a midfielder as well as a right back, I always pictured him in a central role a la Davis. But perhaps that's just me. It seems like he wouldn't have the pace to compete on the wings?

He often played centre midfield for the U18's. Personally I see him being developed into a CB who can comfortably bring the ball out of defence and use his passing range to build attacks.

Would only be relevant if we were going to return to playing 4-4-2, which we're not.

More likely to be converted to a CB then anything, CM if you absolutely have to but out wide ?

No

That entirely depends on which Saints fan wrote that part of the article. I could go on Wikipedia now and edit it to say he is a striker.

I think you'd know better than to do that, MLG! ;) I think the quote from the OS, posted above, is more reliable but says the same thing, really, he was a initially midfielder.

Also, I know he's not the fastest, but he is actually quite powerful and difficult to shake off the ball, I remember a lot of good runs from him going forward last year and he seems to have the capability to beat a man with skill instead of just raw pace. Wouldn't want to rely on him as an out and out winger, but I think he has the ability.

That entirely depends on which Saints fan wrote that part of the article. I could go on Wikipedia now and edit it to say he is a striker.

You could do. But then a few minutes later it'd be automatically changed back and you'll get an angry little warning letter from the Wikipedia geeks. True story.

Doubt it. He is now a defender and would be wise to make that position his position

Saw an interview last year (before his Prem. debut) where he was described as a midfielder. His lucky break came with Clyne's pre-season injury and I think many would agree he filled the role very well.

Why can't he be tried in that same midfield role, in front of Clyne in the RB position. After all we'll need " someone " to fill Schneiderlin's boots before August.....

Saw an interview last year (before his Prem. debut) where he was described as a midfielder. His lucky break came with Clyne's pre-season injury and I think many would agree he filled the role very well.

Why can't he be tried in that same midfield role, in front of Clyne in the RB position. After all we'll need " someone " to fill Schneiderlin's boots before August.....

if he carries on being a jack of all trades, he will forever be a sub...most like that are

I would have like to see that last season, said so a few times I believe. If it's going to happen I shall be interested in the outcome.

Spent most of his days in the Youth Team as a right winger and was handy. If we went 3-5-2 next season I would see him more as central defender on the right side of the three than a wing-back.
Think most of his youth team career was as a Central Midfielder, with a few games at Centre back.

Think he'd already been converted to a right back role, prior to Clyne's injury. Possibly because there was more chance of breaking through that way, who knows. Got the impression that MP certainly rated him. I think he could have a strong season for us, just depends whether he'll get the chance to cement himself in any role.