Why saints only need to sign 1 centre back. NOT 2!

Saint IQ

-We have only lost one centre back and on the whole we were fine in that department last season

-Stephens is highly rated why put another player in his way

-Who knows what other talent will come out the academy in that position in the next 3 years

Centre backs come in pairs. Dijk and Vlaar arguably are a ready made pairing.

Fonte and Lovren are finished.

I think we need x2 CBs. I am not convinced Fonte is good enough to lead a back four, he's a great deputy, but no leader. He could step up with another leader, but I can't help but think we need x2.

I agree, we only need one, but he needs to be a left-footed CB. I am concerned that all the CBs we have been linked with are right-footed apart from Rojo. Jos is our only left-sided CB at the moment.

Stephens looks like a real prospect. He is strong in the air, great with the ball at his feet and he seems to have that ability to sniff out danger before it has happened. From his performances in pre-season, I think he has a real chance of breaking through this season. I'm glad that Koeman has seemingly decided not to send him back to Swindon. And with only Jose and Yoshida in that position I would like Jack to be given every opportunity to fight for the spot.

Ideally we should sign two.

You want two good players in each position, so you would really like four good, premiership level centre backs in your team to be competitive. Right now we have 3 senior CB's, two of which are good enough for this level, and Hooiveld who isn't. I think Yoshida is decent given a run of games and always thought he looked solid in our first year back, but he is replaceable. We could, and if we want to progress, should do better. Fonte will obviously start given his leadership qualities and ability, so we need someone to cover him (Yoshida) and we need someone to replace Lovren, and then a decent enough back up to him.

Our young CB's coming through do look very good, Stephens particularly, but it's a very difficult position to blood players in given the amount of times that mistakes will be capitalised upon by the quality level of opposition we will face week in week out.

The centre-backs came in two by two, hurrah! hurrah!

When you say a 'ready made pairing' do you mean that they have never played together before? Or have they been getting it on outside of football?

Shame to hear about Fonte and Lovren splitting up. Long distance relationships are hard. :(

To replace Fonte? Now before end of the season we all where saying we needed to replace Fonte he was the weak link and have someone to play with Lovern, nothing has changed....we still need to replace him he still will be that weak link in our back 4 ( unless we get a dreadful CB ).

Lovern made Fonte look alot better than he was, yes he played better than he did the previous season but its another year on he still needs replacing. Imo get 2 Cb's in, offload Jos and use Fonte and yoshida as cover/cups games and bring up Stephens slowly and have him as Fonte replacement when Fonte gets too old.

If we were to play a back 3 at any point this season ( i think we should in some away games ) Fonte would be our 3rd defender.

-We have only lost one centre back and on the whole we were fine in that department last season

-Who knows what other talent will come out the academy in that position in the next 3 years

1) We needed to sign one before we sold Lovren.

2) Stephens hasn't been good enough to start for the first team in the league in the 4 years he's been with us so far, including when we were in L1.

3) No-one knows, which is why we need to sign someone before we have to play THREE YEARS without a replacement CB pairing, which seems to be what you're suggesting.

Ok fine lets sign one then, to be honest I think everyone would be happy if we signed one decent CB / Fwd / wide player and goalkeeper.

We'd be about 5 signings short, based on my expectations in May. I can downsize them, but I can't pretend they didn't exist.

We were "fine" last season because of the few games Fonte and Lovren missed. If you want a scare, check out our league record last year when Hooiveld played...

Its a crucial position and if we only bring in one then we are setting ourselves up to fail, not like we don't have the cash.

We were "fine" last season because of the few games Fonte and Lovren missed. If you want a scare, check out our league record last year when Hooiveld played...

Its a crucial position and if we only bring in one then we are setting ourselves up to fail, not like we don't have the cash.

In matches Hooiveld started, we Drew 1 (at Newcastle) Lost 2 (at Arsenal and home to Spurs). Not really scary to be honest, pretty much in line with expected results.

It was W5-D9-L9 in the League the season before in matches he started - but after starting with 5 defeats, even that isn't such a bad record from December 2012 onwards.

Not that I'm suggesting he's an ok choice, just that you can't really identify it from the results.

In matches Hooiveld started, we Drew 1 (at Newcastle) Lost 2 (at Arsenal and home to Spurs). Not really scary to be honest, pretty much in line with expected results.

It was W5-D9-L9 in the League the season before in matches he started - but after starting with 5 defeats, even that isn't such a bad record from December 2012 onwards.

Not that I'm suggesting he's an ok choice, just that you can't really identify it from the results.

In the Newcastle game he messed up conceding a goal. In the Spurs game he scored on OG and was generally awful. Arsenal game he was ok.

Two big errors in three games isnt a great recipe for success, and neither is winning 5 out of 23 the season before.

In the Newcastle game he messed up conceding a goal. In the Spurs game he scored on OG and was generally awful. Arsenal game he was ok.

Two big errors in three games isnt a great recipe for success, and neither is winning 5 out of 23 the season before.

Yeah but there are regular starters all over the Prem doing stuff like that nowadays, seems like no-one can defend any more.

The centre-backs came in two by two, hurrah! hurrah!

When you say a 'ready made pairing' do you mean that they have never played together before? Or have they been getting it on outside of football?

Shame to hear about Fonte and Lovren splitting up. Long distance relationships are hard. :(

Best give Russell Crowe a bell then, he may have a couple 'floating' around somewhere.

Ideally we should sign two.

You want two good players in each position, so you would really like four good, premiership level centre backs in your team to be competitive. Right now we have 3 senior CB's, two of which are good enough for this level, and Hooiveld who isn't. I think Yoshida is decent given a run of games and always thought he looked solid in our first year back, but he is replaceable. We could, and if we want to progress, should do better. Fonte will obviously start given his leadership qualities and ability, so we need someone to cover him (Yoshida) and we need someone to replace Lovren, and then a decent enough back up to him.

Our young CB's coming through do look very good, Stephens particularly, but it's a very difficult position to blood players in given the amount of times that mistakes will be capitalised upon by the quality level of opposition we will face week in week out.

We NEED one. Ideally we'd get in two but ideally we'd have kept 5 of our best players this summer

Total nonsense... we should be looking to progress, not stand still.. 2 class CBs required with Yoshida as the reserve

1) We needed to sign one before we sold Lovren.

2) Stephens hasn't been good enough to start for the first team in the league in the 4 years he's been with us so far, including when we were in L1.

3) No-one knows, which is why we need to sign someone before we have to play THREE YEARS without a replacement CB pairing, which seems to be what you're suggesting.

1-Not in my opinion, not a priority anyway. Needed wingers, goalkeeper and a goal scorer more before Lovren left

2-He's probably better than Hooiveld (4th choice after 1 signing), decent 5th choice, Dan Burn did alright last year after loans in League 1 n Championship.

3-What on earth have you interpreting I'm suggesting? I'm suggesting we don't NEED more than 1 as we have enough and more might come through over the next 3 years

We probably need 2, to be honest. As has been mentioned, I'd have had a new CB on my shopping list even before Lovren was sold. Got a feeling the club will just get one and be done with it though, so we'll be in the same position as last year - and seriously hoping that the new CB is of a decent standard.

Big season for Yoshida if we do sign just one, I think he has talent, just needs someone to keep him under control. He is still young for a centre back don't forget.

I don't think he's that good tbh. I hope we sign 2 CB's and Yoshida becomes the 4th choice.

Because we could then be in the NPC and neither would want to join us.

Well Villa weren't exactly safe by Xmas the last 2 seasons Vlaar has played for them so whats makes you think we will be? Oh yeah thats right our squad has a lot more quality, therefore we will be fine next year..."Don't worry, be happy"... bob-marley-blog-do-beeh.jpg

You're the first person I've heard say our CBs were fine last year. When Lovren was out injured we were in difficulties and now we have lost him. Fonte could be cover but we need two top-class CBs. solid as a rock, plus the new GK and a pacey striker. Then we can relax a bit.

Yeah, we only really need one, as long as they are quality.

Always a bonus strengthening throughout the squad, but a first choice of Fonte and one other, with Yoshida as back-up.

Do you rate fonte as a first choice? not in the same league as lovren (much better attitude though)

Well Villa weren't exactly safe by Xmas the last 2 seasons Vlaar has played for them so whats makes you think we will be? Oh yeah thats right our squad has a lot more quality, therefore we will be fine next year..."Don't worry, be happy"... bob-marley-blog-do-beeh.jpg

Errrrrr.... Get up, stand up maybe

"Don't worry be happy" - Bobby McFerrin.

"Don't worry, about a thing, cos every little thing, gonna be alright" - Bob Marley (Three Little Birds).

• 10 months later...

I think we need x2 CBs. I am not convinced Fonte is good enough to lead a back four, he's a great deputy, but no leader. He could step up with another leader, but I can't help but think we need x2.

Wow this couldn't have turned out to be more wrong

Why not just say that we don't need to sign one, as we signed one permanently during the close season last year for £6m, and who has Champions League experience.