Lighting

thorpie the sinner

It's ok guys, I used to work in lighting. After a few hours of use they will dim, people always used to ring up when new LED lighting was first installed anywhere. It won't always be as bright as tonight ;-)

In which case shouldn't they have left them on for hours in the build up to today's game to reduce the impact on people's eyes?

It's ok guys, I used to work in lighting. After a few hours of use they will dim, people always used to ring up when new LED lighting was first installed anywhere. It won't always be as bright as tonight ;-)

LMFAO..... I'm guessing that's why you USED to work in the industry.

They won't dim over time.

Edited by Gemmel

Lets put it like this, a street light, on for about 10-12 hours a night would take at least a week to dim, these will need a lot more than 14 hours.

Liked them. Cheaper to run and better spectrum, felt like 10k. Sure they will be high quality Cree panels or similar.

Owning a marine tank, you get LED envy.

Something like these maybe... (But bigger)

http://ledlightingmanagement.com/led-lighting-management/content/led-sports-stadium-flood-light-300-watt-ip-67-waterproof-flood-light

Edited by Plastic

Whitey - I could be (very likely) being really thick here but that's over my head

Sorry, of course you're not. In order to get the maximum brightness out of these LEDs they run them at the maximum current possible which means they tend to run hot and need special device packaging to get rid of all the heat. The hotter any electronic device gets the more unreliable they generally become but LEDs in particular suffer from various progressive degradations and lose brightness over time. That's if they don't fail altogether. They're getting better though :)

The ones we use are for electronic signage and are driven at more sustainable currents which is what I meant when I said that these were over driven.

It was fine. Why were you gimps staring at the lights?

Well that's an unnecessary response.

I don't think anyone was staring at the lights. Sometimes in football the ball goes quite high, and I found it dazzled me when the ball crossed the light. That's all.

Glad to hear that they will dim over time.

Apart from the brightness (there seemed to be far fewer lights overall so I would imagine that's why the ones there were were brighter) I thought they were positioned quite strangely, they didn't seem equidistant or in any obvious pattern. We won't get the true effect until they're used in "proper" dark though, the players only had one shadow on Saturday evening, and that was from the big bright round thing in the sky (and I don't mean the Nike Ordem Premier League match ball).