Rivers of Blood

Guided Missile

This shouldn't be a debate about immigration - This should be a debate about religious fundamentalism.

The fact is, is that Islamism and extremist ideals that come with it do present a problem worldwide. You cannot argue that. And it's when you find that there's British kids in Syria and Iraq butchering people that it becomes concerning. If these kids slip through the net and come back and start indoctrinating and brainwashing others here, like what has happened to them, then what? This thread has clearly popped up after the murder of the US journalist - ISIS and the Islamic State have a pretty obvious "convert or die" policy (if you're lucky enough to be given the choice and you're not just killed outright) and what will happen when it reaches these shores? I have no problem whatsoever with controlled immigration, but it is the dangerous values of a minority who wish to force their view upon the majority by any means that concerns me.

attacks are foiled all the time

but it is a fact that outside of the IRA, islamic terrorism with the biggest threat according to the Govt

majority of the concern then was state sponsored terrorism, much like the Lockerbie bombing, that has obviously morphed since

we decided to bomb the shyt out of everything after 9/11 and some of the states have been removed/changed

So the the IRA situation improved with negotiation, yet our peace loving country decided to "bomb the shyt" out of the Muslims and things got worse. Hmmm.

added to the fact that society has turned a blind eye to the rise of radical islam in this country

anyone dare mention islam and this issue would normally have been met with the "racist' tag. like people still do when you try to debate immigration

I agree we shouldn't have to tread on egg-shells around the issue but the actions of our government put the muslim community (the only people who can sort it out) in a difficult position. The Muslims I know were calling the US the "Great Evil" long before 9/11, you can't blame them for having sympathy for the extremist's cause even if they don't agree with their methods.

Amazed you can't even see that no islamic terrorist attacks occurred in England until after we decided to "bomb the shyt" out of Muslim countries. You were chucking few into Libya yourself I believe?

have no idea what you are on about

???

I'm sure you're not contesting that America was built on black slavery. Most of America's black population has, over hundreds of years, had to work its way from the utter desolation of slavery to the position it is in now - still at economic and social disadvantage. They still haven't reached equality with white people, and that inequality is built on racism, regardless of whether there are poor people of other ethnicities.

To repeat, the point Enoch Powell was making is most immigrants do not want to integrate ..

I just don't recognise that at all John.

Sure, initial immigrants and maybe first or even second generations tend to stick together in the short term, but our City has shown how over time the vast majority integrate/assimilate (even if they also manage to keep their own traditions/religions/history alive).

From Huguenots, to Russian Jews, to Poles, to Afro-Carobbeans, to Indians, to Maltese, to Idi Amin's Ugandan refugees, this City has long been a recipient of immigration, with most of those listed above integrating over time in to the fabric of the City. I think there is nothing wrong with discussing the effect and numbers regarding immigration (& emigration), but I think Powell was wrong with regards immigrants not wanting/refusing to integrate.

St Mary's was once a hub for the Afro-Caribbean immigrants. Who can forget the West Indian Club in its heyday, the various shebeens, the famous Newtown FC, Ebony Rockers etc? You'll be lucky to find an Afro-Caribbean family down that way nowadays as the second and third generations have integrated and the area is now home to another generation of immigrants (Eastern European, Somali).

So you think there wasn't trouble because people didn't know about it?

Ofcourse there has been trouble, always has and always will be.

What I am suggesting is that various factions etc can communicate their ideals, beliefs, commands far more easier now because of modern technology, ultimately making the world a far more threatening place.

Hahahaha! This is the best post ever.

How dare someone form an opinion based on books and academic lectures! The bloody cheek of it. Coming on here with their education and informed opinion. We don't need their sort round here. Lets form a mob, quickly.....hypo, please lead the mob. Lets see if we can flush out any other of these readers.

The post was aimed at Polaroid and was a dig about a previous discussion from earlier in the week. Pipe down buzzin.

Which really applies to hypo's assessment of Iraq. He only agrees with me because he has extra information through personal connections to the region, illustrating the importance of detail.

Trying to assess the situation through the echo chamber of the Western media is a fruitless exercise.

Agree with that TBH.

Britain has worked with Islamic groups of various stripes since the days of Empire. The links were even more important to maintain after WW2 and the loss of Empire, as these groups were often the only means by which Britain could perform certain objectives; quelling communist of Arab nationalist revolutions, propping up preferred puppets, espionage, proxy wars, etc. Such groups are very handy to a fading imperial power that still wants to assert influence in a specific region.

Our tolerance of Londonistan was an outrage to other nations, most of the stories on the news are reporting heinous atrocities carried out by Islamic extremists, yet using those groups to exercise our policy is a practice that we continue to this day.

Can we rid ourselves of the notion that it was somehow the principles of "lefty tolerance" that brought the rise in Islamic fundamentalism to the UK?

GM

T

I belive that the majority of immigrants do want to integrate or have integrated very successfully .its the minority that don't and probably have other reasons for destabilising the uk . With in that very small minority their are some extreme groups . And they should be closely monitored .

But various Human rights get in the way in dealing with such extremists . Maybe with liberalist veiws we do not deal with these in a very robust manner .

I do worry about what is happening in Syria and Iraq

Who is actual behind IsIS , Iran ? suadi's ? Or another . The fight against Assad seems to be a separate issue from what appeared to be one group of Syrians against Assad . But suddenly ISIS came on the scene . Who is supplying them with Arms

One area that worries me despite milions going into training Iraqi forces . They are unable to defend themselves against ISIS

Did we pull out to soon ?

Equally I worry about afghan when the coalition forces leave in 2015 . There is not a stable democratic system in place but there is a relative calm .

It will not be the Taliban the west and afgans will worry about but the extreme ISIS that will become the predominent force over there .

As for the alleged British guy speaking about the killing of Mr Foley , well I hope he's gets what's coming to him . Scum like that don't deserve to live let alone live in the uk if he is a uk citizen

Edited by Viking Warrior

In the 2011 census, 850,000 people in the UK were unable to speak English. I'd call that a failure to integrate...

Are you sure about that? I thought the number who could not speak English was much lower (with more saying not very well).

And as I said above, in the short term following bursts of immigration there will be issues of integration and assimilation (including speaking English), but over time these dissipate.

Good question, to be honest I wouldn't have a clue.

The Lee Rigby murder and 7/7 bombings are clearly related to our involvement in the middle east, the perpetrators said so themselves.

The troubles in the middle east are clearly a catalyst and spark for some of this behaviour, but when you have millions migrating into this country that identify strongly with a foreign culture, it is hardly a surprise that you are left with the most extreme members carrying out these sorts of incidents. There are going to people that identify more with islamic culture and society than they do with the UK.

I just don't recognise that at all John.

Sure, initial immigrants and maybe first or even second generations tend to stick together in the short term, but our City has shown how over time the vast majority integrate/assimilate (even if they also manage to keep their own traditions/religions/history alive).

From Huguenots, to Russian Jews, to Poles, to Afro-Carobbeans, to Indians, to Maltese, to Idi Amin's Ugandan refugees, this City has long been a recipient of immigration, with most of those listed above integrating over time in to the fabric of the City. I think there is nothing wrong with discussing the effect and numbers regarding immigration (& emigration), but I think Powell was wrong with regards immigrants not wanting/refusing to integrate.

St Mary's was once a hub for the Afro-Caribbean immigrants. Who can forget the West Indian Club in its heyday, the various shebeens, the famous Newtown FC, Ebony Rockers etc? You'll be lucky to find an Afro-Caribbean family down that way nowadays as the second and third generations have integrated and the area is now home to another generation of immigrants (Eastern European, Somali).

Southampton isn't really a great example of significant levels of immigration, the numbers are still very marginal and focused on tiny areas, compared to London, Birmingham, Bradford, Luton etc.

The troubles in the middle east are clearly a catalyst and spark for some of this behaviour, but when you have millions migrating into this country that identify strongly with a foreign culture, it is hardly a surprise that you are left with the most extreme members carrying out these sorts of incidents. There are going to people that identify more with islamic culture and society than they do with the UK.

A minority of extremist criminals aside, surely it is better to have people who understand the other side within our culture to moderate our behaviour and promote future good relations.

And equally, we can moderate the majority of those who come to our country, thereby blurring the lines of any perceived Christian versus Muslim conflict

Are you sure about that? I thought the number who could not speak English was much lower (with more saying not very well).

The paper I quoted was wrong, it is slightly lower.

On census day 27 March 2011, the majority (91.9 per cent; 41.8 million) of the usual resident population aged 16 and over in England and Wales reported English as their main language. The rest of the population who reported a different main language comprised 6.4 per cent (2.9 million) who could speak English ‘Well’ or ‘Very well’, and 1.7 per cent (785,000) who could speak English ‘Not well’ or ‘Not at all’.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/english-language-proficiency-in-the-labour-market/rpt-english-language-proficiency.html

Language proficiency has been singled out by both political parties as the main reason integration has not occurred...

Edited by Guided Missile

Southampton isn't really a great example of significant levels of immigration, the numbers are still very marginal and focused on tiny areas, compared to London, Birmingham, Bradford, Luton etc.

Eh?

The Area? Northam? St Marys? Flower Roads? Mandela Way? Shirlski? Portswood?

A minority of extremist criminals aside, surely it is better to have people who understand the other side within our culture to moderate our behaviour and promote future good relations.

And equally, we can moderate the majority of those who come to our country, thereby blurring the lines of any perceived Christian versus Muslim conflict

Is there any evidence of people arriving in this country and then becoming "moderate"? No.

We went to war in Iraq whilst having a large muslim population in this country, so it had no positive impact in "our behaviour" or to "promote future good relations".

Is there any evidence of people arriving in this country and then becoming "moderate"? No.

We went to war in Iraq whilst having a large muslim population in this country, so it had no positive impact in "our behaviour" or to "promote future good relations".

Is there any evidence that they don't? I mean proper evidence, not just they don't speak the language.

I'm also talking second generation, not current immigrants. We need much more racial mixing for the benefit of society a hundred years from now.

Is there any evidence that they don't? I mean proper evidence, not just they don't speak the language.

I'm also talking second generation, not current immigrants. We need much more racial mixing for the benefit of society a hundred years from now.

Ok, so you agreee there isn't any evidence, glad we've got that cleared up.

The paper I quoted was wrong, it is slightly lower.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/english-language-proficiency-in-the-labour-market/rpt-english-language-proficiency.html

Language proficiency has been singled out by both political parties as the main reason integration has not occurred...

The figure who didn't speak English was just over 100,000 which really doesn't seem that big a number given the numbers who came in to the country recently (with most from non English speaking countries).

Iran? They are Shia, hated by the Sunni's of ISIS.

Perhaps you need to look at the sectarian map of Iraq and ask yourself why ISIS has stopped where it has.

Iran, FFS.

Pre-emptive war results in the unlikeliest of bedfellows. Iran has been ploughing aid into Iraq for years now. Pretty amazing considering their people were sucking down Iraqi deployed chemical weapons 30 years ago.

Pre-emptive war results in the unlikeliest of bedfellows. Iran has been ploughing aid into Iraq for years now. Pretty amazing considering their people were sucking down Iraqi deployed chemical weapons 30 years ago.

Big Shia population in Iraq. Karbala is their holiest place. ISIS move towards that and Iran gets involved.

Which petrodollar exporter of hate would benefit most?

Big Shia population in Iraq. Karbala is their holiest place. ISIS move towards that and Iran gets involved.

Which petrodollar exporter of hate would benefit most?

Ooh, that'd be a shame, considering we've got a reformer in charge of Iran. These opportunities for reconciliation with Iran have a habit of eluding us, unfortunately.

Fkn shame, because Iran has a young, surprisingly moderate population. They'd get along with the West just fine if we stopped calling them evil.

The figure who didn't speak English was just over 100,000 which really doesn't seem that big a number given the numbers who came in to the country recently (with most from non English speaking countries).

Please read the report, or, if you haven't got the time, I quote:

1.7 per cent (785,000) who could speak English ‘Not well’ or ‘Not at all’.

Steve, you need to improve your English...

Not well isn't not at all is it.

Migrants who cannot speak English well or not at all find it impossible to integrate in this country and are more likely to be in receipt of benefits and unable to find work. Both political parties see the command of our language the biggest barrier to the integration of the vast number of migrants Labour allowed into the country. It could also explain why many of the 785,000 and their dependants are alienated from our society and a small percentage of these are radicalised.

Let me know if you have trouble understanding the point and I will draw you a picture....