The Former Saints Players Thread

Turkish

When he went to Liverpool my thoughts were that if he isn't a lot better than their existing CBs and he makes errors, with their defence no better, he will get some horrible stick. Wanyama + Schneiderlin were the key to his solid performances with us. When isolated as at Tottenham he was vulnerable, as Soldado showed.

When he went to Liverpool my thoughts were that if he isn't a lot better than their existing CBs and he makes errors, with their defence no better, he will get some horrible stick. Wanyama + Schneiderlin were the key to his solid performances with us. When isolated as at Tottenham he was vulnerable, as Soldado showed.

And Liverpool's brand spanking new Spanish left back really didn't help him either. When you have Gerrard and Henderson on sentry duty in front of the defence you're going to get caught out as likely as not. Why they didn't play Lucas there last night beggars belief, unless he's injured of course or that they have a HG/NHG problem for the CL because there the rules are different, it's not just 8HG it's 8 including 4 from the clubs development centre.

Their problem is that Gerrard dominates the dressing room and the club and Rogers is scared to drop him.

Now that he is being found out as a supposed defensive midfielder, his next step will be to drop into the back four. He'll be on Mignolet's toes soon.

We might be seeing that Lovren is only as good as the defenders and other playes around him.

Perhaps he was a bit spoiled last season.

Bit dangerous saying Lovren was made to look good by those around him last season, whilst saying Shaw is far from the finished item, Fonte is not really Prem material and Chambers was not a regular first team pick.

I have to presume it must have been down to Jack Cork to bring out the best in them all. Or, perhaps, having Guly on the bench!!!

Bit dangerous saying Lovren was made to look good by those around him last season, whilst saying Shaw is far from the finished item, Fonte is not really Prem material and Chambers was not a regular first team pick.

I have to presume it must have been down to Jack Cork to bring out the best in them all. Or, perhaps, having Guly on the bench!!!

The whole was greater than the sum of the parts.......

Agreed. lovern was outstanding last season (Probably the best centre half performance over a full season that I have seen in 35 years watching Saints) so he isn't going to turn rubbish overnight and the reason we want to believe he will, is because of the way he left. However he was enjoyably poor last night and took a serious hammering on twitter from Liverpool fans (He was trending at one point :) :) ) so few more performances like that and the crowd turn on him, his confidence spirals and it doesn't look like the dream move he thought it was....... But he is too good to let that happen unfortunately.

Well this will be his 3rd Premier a League season with us as a starter...I'd say that qualifies him quite well...

Just re quoting previous comments from the Forum....lol

Find you, I've still yet to find anyone playing for us that is good enough for the team in everyone's eyes - except perhaps

Gastos, as he hasn't played so can't be slagged off yet!

Just re quoting previous comments from the Forum....lol

Find you, I've still yet to find anyone playing for us that is good enough for the team in everyone's eyes - except perhaps

Gastos, as he hasn't played so can't be slagged off yet!

My mistake... Read it incorrectly.

Agreed. lovern was outstanding last season (Probably the best centre half performance over a full season that I have seen in 35 years watching Saints) so he isn't going to turn rubbish overnight and the reason we want to believe he will, is because of the way he left. However he was enjoyably poor last night and took a serious hammering on twitter from Liverpool fans (He was trending at one point :) :) ) so few more performances like that and the crowd turn on him, his confidence spirals and it doesn't look like the dream move he thought it was....... But he is too good to let that happen unfortunately.

Is he? Confidence is a big part of any player's make-up. Football is littered with players who have gone from hero to zero because their confidence is shot.

All players claim they don't read papers or watch or listen to news and claim they don't take any notice of critics, but you can be sure they are aware of what's being said about them.

As confidence is nibbled at, it affects technical skills. Fear of making mistakes means players take short cuts. They lump the ball instead of bringing it down and passing it. Defenders suddenly start backing off and giving themselves a yard.

The next few games will show how strong mentally Lovren is, whether he has the confidence and strength of character to shrug off the fact that so far, he has been implicated in all four goals Liverpool have conceded so far this season.

If he has a couple more stinkers it will be as big a test of Brenda Rogers' ability than of Lovren's and I wouldn't like to say how that might pan out.

Of course a player needs to be fundamentally able but there is an emerging track record of Fonte's defensive partners playing above themselves and struggling to match the same level once gone.

Aaron Martin and Dan Seaborne played comfortably at Championship level yet have not looked up to it elsewhere. Who was his defensive partner at Palace?

Lovren was highly criticised by the Lyon fans, Fonte marshalled the back four with him and he excelled, now he is without his leader he is looking a shadow.

Who is Liverpool's leader at the back, did they pay the money for it to be him? Could the bizarrely unfashionable Fonte be the key ingredient here?

He made Yoshida look less sh111t than usual on Saturday too. Or perhaps that was West Brom. It might even have been Fonte drawing the sting of criticism by cunningly making Pelle look worse than the defence, by endlessly dollying lobs at his head when marked by 2 defenders... :D

I didn't think Liverpool's defence was any worse than everyone else's defence last night tbh, there's a reason loads of teams are shipping goals nowadays, teams are attacking in more numbers and more quickly than defences can cope. Also, Gerrard is a crap defensive midfielder who doesn't provide the kind of shield the likes of Wanyama and Schneiderlin do.

Of course a player needs to be fundamentally able but there is an emerging track record of Fonte's defensive partners playing above themselves and struggling to match the same level once gone.

Aaron Martin and Dan Seaborne played comfortably at Championship level yet have not looked up to it elsewhere. Who was his defensive partner at Palace?

Mainly Paddy McCarthy, and Clint Hill sometimes, they done okay for themselves I suppose?

Been in Liverpool this weekend. Anyone know if Lovren had a black Range Rover with the plate L5 ?

saw it parked in Liverpool One shopping complex on Saturday afternoon, kicked the tyre just in case it was his ?

You are more likely to have kicked a County Road crim's wheels, given that L5 is a sizeable section of North Liverpool.

He made Yoshida look less sh111t than usual on Saturday too. Or perhaps that was West Brom. It might even have been Fonte drawing the sting of criticism by cunningly making Pelle look worse than the defence, by endlessly dollying lobs at his head when marked by 2 defenders... :D

I didn't think Liverpool's defence was any worse than everyone else's defence last night tbh, there's a reason loads of teams are shipping goals nowadays, teams are attacking in more numbers and more quickly than defences can cope. Also, Gerrard is a crap defensive midfielder who doesn't provide the kind of shield the likes of Wanyama and Schneiderlin do.

Shame he can't work his magic on Hooliveld.

how s***e does Lovren look? Starting to really wonder if Fonte did actually make him look so good after all. 4 absolute clangers so far against Spurs and his last ditchg tackles (look good on highlight reels) are because he has given the ball away/out of position.