The Long Overdue Pointless 2015/16 (Adidas) Kit Thread

The9

ISSSS IT REALLY??!!! (like nothing else)

not if the leaked away kit is correct. navy n sash opposite direction.

#SameSameButDifferent

I imagine those who dislike our new home kit, due to it's likeness to Stoke, won't be happy if we look the same HOME and AWAY.

I imagine those who dislike our new home kit, due to it's likeness to Stoke, won't be happy if we look the same HOME and AWAY.

To be fair, anyone disliking our kits "because they look like Stoke" is a helmet with no business commenting on kit design. Especially the away kit, which isn't even the same colour.

I wonder if the fact that we're now playing our first competitive game on the 30th July will mean that the away kit will be released sooner than originally planned?

I suspect it's always been a consideration and the away launch will have been near enough that date anyway.

I'm more interested in how they're going to manage the possibility of us playing our first home game in the kit wearing a completely different design to the one people have been buying for the previous month - seeing as the stripes won't be allowed on the back of the shirt in Europe.

I suspect it's always been a consideration and the away launch will have been near enough that date anyway.

I'm more interested in how they're going to manage the possibility of us playing our first home game in the kit wearing a completely different design to the one people have been buying for the previous month - seeing as the stripes won't be allowed on the back of the shirt in Europe.

Out of interest The9, does the Europa League kit have to be the same as our kit with solid back panels or could we be allowed to do something completely different, hypothetically speaking, could we have an Air Florida style shirt for Europe and stripes for the league?

Out of interest The9, does the Europa League kit have to be the same as our kit with solid back panels or could we be allowed to do something completely different, hypothetically speaking, could we have an Air Florida style shirt for Europe and stripes for the league?

We can do what we want as long as UEFA approve, we don't break the advertising rules, and there's a contrasting panel behind the number.

Though I'm sure if it was going to be anything other than "wearing the away kit for every match" or "just stick a red bit at the top with the number on it" we'd have seen some rumblings already. They're not even selling long sleeved home shirts this season, and I'd be guessing at a red panel, so doubt we'll even get to buy a Euro shirt.

We can do what we want as long as UEFA approve, we don't break the advertising rules, and there's a contrasting panel behind the number.

Though I'm sure if it was going to be anything other than "wearing the away kit for every match" or "just stick a red bit at the top with the number on it" we'd have seen some rumblings already. They're not even selling long sleeved home shirts this season, and I'd be guessing at a red panel, so doubt we'll even get to buy a Euro shirt.

which is a good thing. I remember when united were slated for releasing a new kit every year. now people want more

which is a good thing. I remember when united were slated for releasing a new kit every year. now people want more

It's not a good thing by any measure. It's bad for Saints because they miss out on valuable merchandising income from fans in one of the few scenarios where having another kit is justifiable, and it's bad for fans who want to buy the shirt the team is wearing. Having said that, there are limits.

If you're going to complain about clubs releasing multiple shirts, you'd be better off doing that where there's no justifiable reason for it, and seeing as every club is now on a one season replacement of every shirt you'd be wasting your time doing that too.

I'd be happy enough with every shirt lasting 2 seasons and the home and away shirt updating on a rotational basis. The problem with that is that throwing in shirt sponsor changes and "manufacturer" branding changes you get a wholesale change of shirts every 2-3 seasons anyway, and contractual legalities mean you can't enforce the wearing of two different brands in the same season, so that can't be avoided.

Which means with that situation you get plenty of "one year" shirts anyway for justifiable reasons, and if that's justifiable, then changing every shirt every season is a short step away, and that's where we are now.

Beyond "every team changing three shirts every season" there are still other things which cause the possibility of other kits, some of which might be reasonable:

European shirts - though those should really be part of the 3 existing shirts already Saints are hardly likely to want to sell 2 similar home shirts but they may not have time to do that beyond the playing squad

Charity fundraising shirts (eg limited edition pink cancer shirts)

Memorial shirts - like last season's West Brom Jeff Astle shirt, the Munich air disaster memorial shirts, neither of which I think were on sale(?)

and then you're into dodgy ground with one offs and stuff like

Christmas shirts - a German thing, utterly pointless

Farewell shirts

Testimonial shirts

Personally speaking, if it's not used in a competitive match I'm not really interested in it, and wouldn't buy it anyway, but some of the above (even the Christmas and Farewell shirts) have been used in competitive matches, which IF the shirt is for sale gives fans (or more likely shirt collectors) with a dilemma.

The long and short of it is that no-one HAS to buy them.

9er, is wearing the away shirt in all games an option? Im sure i saw Feyarood wear their away kit in most games last season, even when there was no obvious clash

It's not a good thing by any measure. It's bad for Saints because they miss out on valuable merchandising income from fans in one of the few scenarios where having another kit is justifiable, and it's bad for fans who want to buy the shirt the team is wearing. Having said that, there are limits.

If you're going to complain about clubs releasing multiple shirts, you'd be better off doing that where there's no justifiable reason for it, and seeing as every club is now on a one season replacement of every shirt you'd be wasting your time doing that too.

I'd be happy enough with every shirt lasting 2 seasons and the home and away shirt updating on a rotational basis. The problem with that is that throwing in shirt sponsor changes and "manufacturer" branding changes you get a wholesale change of shirts every 2-3 seasons anyway, and contractual legalities mean you can't enforce the wearing of two different brands in the same season, so that can't be avoided.

Which means with that situation you get plenty of "one year" shirts anyway for justifiable reasons, and if that's justifiable, then changing every shirt every season is a short step away, and that's where we are now.

Beyond "every team changing three shirts every season" there are still other things which cause the possibility of other kits, some of which might be reasonable:

European shirts - though those should really be part of the 3 existing shirts already Saints are hardly likely to want to sell 2 similar home shirts but they may not have time to do that beyond the playing squad

Charity fundraising shirts (eg limited edition pink cancer shirts)

Memorial shirts - like last season's West Brom Jeff Astle shirt, the Munich air disaster memorial shirts, neither of which I think were on sale(?)

and then you're into dodgy ground with one offs and stuff like

Christmas shirts - a German thing, utterly pointless

Farewell shirts

Testimonial shirts

Personally speaking, if it's not used in a competitive match I'm not really interested in it, and wouldn't buy it anyway, but some of the above (even the Christmas and Farewell shirts) have been used in competitive matches, which IF the shirt is for sale gives fans (or more likely shirt collectors) with a dilemma.

The long and short of it is that no-one HAS to buy them.

So, 3 new shirts per season is "justifiable" now? How times have changed!

Still as you rightly say, no-one has to buy them.

9er, is wearing the away shirt in all games an option? Im sure i saw Feyarood wear their away kit in most games last season, even when there was no obvious clash

Pretty sure we can register whatever we like as a European kit, there are no regulations which say it has to be like our domestic colours.

So, 3 new shirts per season is "justifiable" now? How times have changed!

Still as you rightly say, no-one has to buy them.

Just about, it's become the norm and no-one's showing any great signs of reversing the trend even though (for instance) NFL teams go years on end without changing their shirts. Saints went to the "every year" model when they signed up with Umbro 7 years ago, and only going into administration caused us to have not changed the home shirt every year since the great escape season in the Championship.

My new question for discussion is - assuming the green/navy kit is revealed as the away shirt, what are they going to do with the sponsor?

Assuming it's going to be either veho, muvi or one of their other brands, the away shirt has a navy diagonal sash over a green shirt, but just slapping a sponsor over a diagonal looks a bit weird - they're unlikely to break the sash because that generally looks awful, so I wonder if there's the possibility of either a diagonal sponsor running within the sash, or maybe the "Saints Foundation" style small sponsor in the space under the branding logo like we had in the match where we wore the sash kit and plugged the Foundation in 2010/11.

So, three questions really:

1) which veho sponsor?

2) what colour text (white, green, navy?)

3) where on the front of the shirt?

My new question for discussion is - assuming the green/navy kit is revealed as the away shirt, what are they going to do with the sponsor?

Assuming it's going to be either veho, muvi or one of their other brands, the away shirt has a navy diagonal sash over a green shirt, but just slapping a sponsor over a diagonal looks a bit weird - they're unlikely to break the sash because that generally looks awful, so I wonder if there's the possibility of either a diagonal sponsor running within the sash, or maybe the "Saints Foundation" style small sponsor in the space under the branding logo like we had in the match where we wore the sash kit and plugged the Foundation in 2010/11.

So, three questions really:

1) which veho sponsor?

2) what colour text (white, green, navy?)

3) where on the front of the shirt?

Palace had it on the upper chest / shoulder when they had a sash as their away kit last season.

I'm shocked that this hasn't captivated the masses. :)

Anyway, in other "not news", Saints playing at Feyenoord on July 23rd means we'll need an away kit (or Feyenoord will launch an away kit by then and they'll play in it at home)... I'm also hoping to see Valencia's mental red/yellow/blue thing close up in Salzburg.

I'm shocked that this hasn't captivated the masses. :)

Anyway, in other "not news", Saints playing at Feyenoord on July 23rd means we'll need an away kit (or Feyenoord will launch an away kit by then and they'll play in it at home)... I'm also hoping to see Valencia's mental red/yellow/blue thing close up in Salzburg.

Another excuse to use the yellow shirt only worn at Newcastle?

Another excuse to use the yellow shirt only worn at Newcastle?

They will be wearing adidas kit by then, and unless adidas have a sneaky 3rd shirt up their sleeves we won't be wearing yellow next season.

Interesting 3rd kit news. Any more about that? Other than the home shirt striped back not being suitable for Europe I can't see our red/white and green clashing with anyone...

Btw if anyone's wondering about the detail on the away shirt I'd be surprised if it wasn't this design, Adidas seem to have the v neck mesh mostly as an away shirt this season.

15WBAAW2.jpg

For context, here's the new Sunderland home kit.

players.jpg?mw=655

Tch, looks like Stoke/Southampton.

Etc.

I hate it when people say stuff like that, but with the black trim that actually does look more like a Saints kit than the Saints kit does. :o

Etc.

I hate it when people say stuff like that, but with the black trim that actually does look more like a Saints kit than the Saints kit does. :o

And look - left chest adidas logo, not central. :sulk:

So much better than our kit

Can't really disagree with that. The predominant whiteness and overall design reminds me of the Umbro kit from the Championship promotion season and the black accents should always be there on a Saints kit.

I like ours too, but this would make a nicer Saints kit than the one we're getting.

Etc.

This. We should always have black trim, this is what should differentiate us from yer Stokes etc.

Annoyingly that's a Saints kit all day long.

Hmmm, so Swansea also have a navy/black and green away kit next season, that's 3 teams so far...

15SWANSAWLK-640x647.jpg

Oh, and this is their home kit:

15SWANSEA2.png

I rate that Swansea away kit. Always like the away shirt to be something a little different. I know everyone on here just want a yellow n blue one, but if you look around Europe, many teams use it as a chance to play around with.

7c1e743161367ca484e86646b85444ad.jpg

Hmm...

Never doubt legit looking leaks. Shame they overplayed the detail on the socks, we've definitely ended up with generic adisock 12s rather than the black/white turnovers with contrast hoop shown in the pic on the home kit, similar with the away.

Edited by The9

Also, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVING the 1988-style Umbro shirts Derby will have next season, beautiful new interpretation of a retro classic:

Derby-County-15-16-Home-Kit%2B%25280%2529.jpg

Their kit last season was good too. Shame they have such an awful sponsor.

Proper old school kit done really well.

Not sure. I guess local area given little demand further a field.

But if its just for in Soton then there's no point surely with the Saints shop being there. It must mean it goes to more places. Maybe just the biggest JD sports shops, but still. I would have thought it would roll out a bit more, Swansea did i think? So I think its fair for us to as well.

Hopefully it does :D would just be cool to see it other places.

Intreresting development, it'll lead to more sales, even if JD are more the "polyester as overpriced fashionwear for chavs" end of the market, rather than the "churning out a billion football shirts and other tat for pikeys" end.

Actually that's basically the same thing, but there are degrees of "cool" within that market and SportsDirect have none, whilst JD at least pretend to be contemporary and on trend.

It's in clearance section isn't it? :)

They're still selling the year before last's Skate shirts in the clearance section despite the fact they were under a tenner 2 years ago and claiming to be the cheapest in the division even when they launched (a lie, Newport's were 5p less).