Rodriguez for man city

Batman

You're a hard man, supersonic.

I'm just being realistic. I have to be ruthless for my work and I suppose that mindset is hard to get out of.

I'd be amazed if anyone was prepared to pay anything close to that right now. Which is probably why he's still here

£20m is what has been quoted in the press. Only reason I used that figure.

Anyone still think he isn't really an improvement on Billy Sharp?

Shame Billy doesn't start much at Leeds. His career has declined since leaving Saints.

He's much an improvement on Billy Sharp.

Sharp is an average Championship player who was playing very well before we signed him. His form since Saints got promoted has shown that.

He's much an improvement on Billy Sharp.

Sharp is an average Championship player who was playing very well before we signed him. His form since Saints got promoted has shown that.

Yep. He scored some vital goals. He was also lucky to be put in a team with some Premier League quality players like Lambert, Lallana, Chung, Morgan and Cork.

Would have been great for any decent striker to play with those lads.

Hi Bearsy,

I think the best way to think about this is - can you name any players that have had their careers ended in the last 5 years or so at the highest level? I'm not massively knowledgable about the injuries that those players sustained (has Fraizer Campbell ever been good?!) but Owen and Essien both played or are still playing in the latter stages of their careers. I'm sure Owen suffered from a number of Hamstring related issues which over time would have affected his ability to maintain his pace - the main aspect of his game.

Del Piero is an interesting one - “How long do I want to play on for? Up to the age of 40. [My physique] changed on November 8, 1998 [Just a day before his 24th birthday, he suffered an ACL tear]. I was out for 12 months, four on crutches. It changed my career and made me a better player. Before it I was a tough guy, fast, technically good, still only on instinct. After I was able to tame it too and am more balanced."

Other players currently playing at high levels with this injruy include - Guiseppi Rossi, Jagielka (supposedly fastest defender in PL?!) and Vidic.

Your argument would be valid if he wasn't looking at over a year out with a VERY serious injury. The likelihood of him ever getting back to the form he showed for the 1/2 season before injury is declining. I'd cash in on him and get someone who can walk.

That's what I was trying to say! No doubt you'll get branded a "tool" and your opinions are "retarded". My you I did make 2 accidental typing errors so you might get away with it!

The likelihood of him ever getting back to the form he showed for the 1/2 season before injury is declining.

Delayed? Yes. Likelihood declining? Based on your inside knowledge and conversations with the medical people? Do explain.

In the meantime, how exactly do we "cash in"? Which medical and insurance tests is he going to pass ?

Delayed? Yes. Likelihood declining? Based on your inside knowledge and conversations with the medical people? Do explain.

In the meantime, how exactly do we "cash in"? Which medical and insurance tests is he going to pass ?

From the conversation that I've had with one of the Physio's at the club, he isn't expected back to full training until mid-late April (baring any further set-backs). Will the fact he has injured one of the main ligaments in his knee affect his game? yes of course it will - you don't need to be a medical professional to realise this.

Jay's game was about pace and agility, something which relies on having strong knees. There are numerous athletes in all sports that suffer knee ligament injuries and come back, there are others however that suffer them and then seem to be "dogged" by them. Ryan Taylor at Newcastle is a prime example.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rodriguez and I want him to come and make a full come back, but nearly 9 months after the injury he still can't walk 100 yards unaided (again from club's physio).

In terms of "cashing in" - sell him. If media reports are to be believed there are a few clubs willing to pay what I would call "big" money for him. Let's not kid ourselves, he only really had 1/2 a season in the PL which can be considered "good" - he did ok in his first year but hardly set the world alight. There were better players out there than him before he got injured and there still are. This is Jay Rodriguez, not Messi. Take the money and buy a replacement, feel sorry for the boy but this is professional sport no room for sympathy.

From the conversation that I've had with one of the Physio's at the club, he isn't expected back to full training until mid-late April (baring any further set-backs). Will the fact he has injured one of the main ligaments in his knee affect his game? yes of course it will - you don't need to be a medical professional to realise this.

Jay's game was about pace and agility, something which relies on having strong knees. There are numerous athletes in all sports that suffer knee ligament injuries and come back, there are others however that suffer them and then seem to be "dogged" by them. Ryan Taylor at Newcastle is a prime example.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rodriguez and I want him to come and make a full come back, but nearly 9 months after the injury he still can't walk 100 yards unaided (again from club's physio).

In terms of "cashing in" - sell him. If media reports are to be believed there are a few clubs willing to pay what I would call "big" money for him. Let's not kid ourselves, he only really had 1/2 a season in the PL which can be considered "good" - he did ok in his first year but hardly set the world alight. There were better players out there than him before he got injured and there still are. This is Jay Rodriguez, not Messi. Take the money and buy a replacement, feel sorry for the boy but this is professional sport no room for sympathy.

I think the club physio is leading you astray.

Jrod is going to be playing with the under21's in about a fortnight. That came from the horses mouth

I dont believe what you have been told, but thanks for sharing re my first question. How about the second question, particularly if you think he is out until April - how exactly will he pass a medical this month?

Affected his head though, took up bashing his kids and got banned for the whole of last season I think. Even Tom Brady took a while to get back to his real level, then again their season lasts about 4 months and all the rest is R+R time.

Affected his head though, took up bashing his kids and got banned for the whole of last season I think. Even Tom Brady took a while to get back to his real level, then again their season lasts about 4 months and all the rest is R+R time.

What with a pretty intense preseason and the possibility of up to a month of play offs, this greatly understates things. Six months is more accurate. Also, you do understand that American Football players get clobbered physically on virtually every play. Think of it as being tackled in a way that deserved a red card over and over again for three hours every week.

Ah, thank you Smirks. I was worried for a while my career terrorising 5-a-side teams down goals was over.

You've given me renewed hope for my reconstruction next month :)

FWIW ive had two recons and now playing a higher level then I was before. Need any tips send me a PM, just make sure you follow all their rehab advice, you really dont want to rehab it twice, its exhausting

What with a pretty intense preseason and the possibility of up to a month of play offs, this greatly understates things. Six months is more accurate. Also, you do understand that American Football players get clobbered physically on virtually every play. Think of it as being tackled in a way that deserved a red card over and over again for three hours every week.

Agree - if a running back can come back stronger, you'd hope footballers can. That said, whatever happened to Marcus Lattimore? :(

Different sport I know but Conor Mcgregor suffered the following in his UFC fight last year and was out for 10 months.

He had a torn ACL/MCL Strain and posterior horn meniscus tear.

His fighting style is based on movement and he has apparently just broken records at a sport science lab that tests other elite athletes as part of the doco leading up to his fight on Sunday http://balls.ie/main-story/conor-mcgregor-broke-records-sports-science-documentary-last-night/

If he can come back and be effective then there is no reason Jay shouldn't as I would class MMA as having more movement variations to their knee's than footballers.

Edited by Convict Colony

I dont believe what you have been told, but thanks for sharing re my first question. How about the second question, particularly if you think he is out until April - how exactly will he pass a medical this month?

Don't agree, or don't want to agree?

I have no knowledge of how clubs conduct medicals, but any club after him will be aware of his knee injury, I would presume that they'll assess the rest of his body, and go by the notes/medical advice on his knee?

Don't agree, or don't want to agree?

I have no knowledge of how clubs conduct medicals, but any club after him will be aware of his knee injury, I would presume that they'll assess the rest of his body, and go by the notes/medical advice on his knee?

He will not pass if he is not fit, which he needs to for a club to get insurance. Thus, it will not happen

He will not pass if he is not fit, which he needs to for a club to get insurance. Thus, it will not happen

I suppose we'll wait and see then.

In terms of the insurance, the only insurance the player wouldn't be covered for is personal accident, which only equates to the players eligible to train and play - Rodriguez won't be able to play. As long as he passes a medical before training he'll be covered.

This website is usually pretty reliable and ties in with one of the above posts that he will play for the U21's at the end of the month. Return date 31st January!

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

a reminder of what we have been missing this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmw2ybsYEEM

it's incredible that we are in 3rd place.

I agree with supersonic. Funnily enough, I also have to be ruthless at work, so that means I am ruthless when I do other things, like posting on internet forums, or doing the weekly big shop, or mowing the lawn. The way I see it is: I am ruthless at work, so I should be ruthless in all of the other things too. So when I mow the lawn, I just get rid of the lot. I don't give a f*ck, me. And when I do the big shop, sometimes I just think, "Do I really need this?" and then I say to myself, "No!" so then I just put it back on the shelf. And when I'm on internet forums, I just say things that are really ruthless, like "I think we should sell this player," and basically I'm just being ruthless, like when I'm at work, being all ruthless and that.

I agree with supersonic. Funnily enough, I also have to be ruthless at work, so that means I am ruthless when I do other things, like posting on internet forums, or doing the weekly big shop, or mowing the lawn. The way I see it is: I am ruthless at work, so I should be ruthless in all of the other things too. So when I mow the lawn, I just get rid of the lot. I don't give a f*ck, me. And when I do the big shop, sometimes I just think, "Do I really need this?" and then I say to myself, "No!" so then I just put it back on the shelf. And when I'm on internet forums, I just say things that are really ruthless, like "I think we should sell this player," and basically I'm just being ruthless, like when I'm at work, being all ruthless and that.

:lol: :lol:

a reminder of what we have been missing this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmw2ybsYEEM

it's incredible that we are in 3rd place.

His goal against Sunderland was the best for me. Lovely control. He'd be a big asset for us when he comes back, though his future is unclear as to where he'll play next season.

Watching that reminds me how good of a combination Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez were - and I think perhaps we kept the best one. (Even if it were because he was injured.)

I dunno if its about being ruthless.

I am not ruthless at all, yet I share the same opinion as Supersonic. What if he leaves in the Summer after all the rehab etc? You lot will be moaning to the high heavens. "All that effort we put in to him and this is how he treats us" blah blah blah

I dunno if its about being ruthless.

I am not ruthless at all, yet I share the same opinion as Supersonic. What if he leaves in the Summer after all the rehab etc? You lot will be moaning to the high heavens. "All that effort we put in to him and this is how he treats us" blah blah blah

How is that worse than him leaving now?

How is that worse than him leaving now?

Because the club is putting in a lot of effort into someone who might be ready to move clubs in the Summer when a better offer comes along. Like I said before, if the interested back in the Summer was serious enough from Spurs I would have sold up and let them take a chance.

Because the club is putting in a lot of effort into someone who might be ready to move clubs in the Summer when a better offer comes along. Like I said before, if the interested back in the Summer was serious enough from Spurs I would have sold up and let them take a chance.

Oh, ok, but you said you agree with Supersonic. The ruthless one wants to sell him now, which is not the same.

Like I said before, if the interested back in the Summer was serious enough from Spurs I would have sold up and let them take a chance.

It wasn't, of course it wasn't and the club have subsequently confirmed there were no bids for Jay Rod in the summer. You don't buy a player with that sort of injury, until they have categorically proved they are over it and even then, the fees will never be as high.

Nobody was buying him in the Summer and nobody is buying him this January.

Watching that reminds me how good of a combination Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez were - and I think perhaps we kept the best one. (Even if it were because he was injured.)

Yes, I was thinking the same. I don't care what happened over the summer, I'll always have happy memories watching those three together.

Can you give me examples of ACL bros who come back as good or better? Genuine question i would be pleased to hear bout this! All the ones I can think of like Essien & Owen & Frazier Campbell were Never Quite The Same :(

Falcao did his ACL.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2544676/Falcao-refuses-World-Cup-cruciate-injury.html