Nathaniel Clyne Speculation

Batman

Possibly but the money he could get elsewhere is far beyond what we could offer regardless.

Possibly, but so be it. You can't run a club our size by paying all the players 6 figure weekly salaries. We can though compete with other clubs outside of the top lot, although how Sunderland & QPR can "afford" £80/100k weekly wages is anyone's guess.

Possibly but the money he could get elsewhere is far beyond what we could offer regardless.

April will eventually be the end of the season and its a little like the Pochettino situation. The Club won't publically say he won't sign a contract but they will all know the realities.

But if we make the champions league he could have it both ways. Play for us next year and refuse to sign a contract but refuse to agree to a transfer. He could then go anywhere on a Bosman in 2016.

But if we make the champions league he could have it both ways. Play for us next year and refuse to sign a contract but refuse to agree to a transfer. He could then go anywhere on a Bosman in 2016.

he could, would be a pretty ****ish thing to do and you have o hope he has more respect for the club than that but it is a risk in modern football. Even if he does walk away for free he has been incredible value for money and a decent servant of the club during his time here.

don't think many footballers think that way, why play for 25K a week when you can play for 80K a week, career is short and often unpredictable...like JRod, so cash in on it when you can.

don't think many footballers think that way these days, why play for 25K a week when you can play for 80K a week, career is short and often unpredictable...like JRod, so cash in on it when you can.

Edited for you. Oh for MLT logic, "I am paid very well and I am very happy. How much more money do you need to be happy?". Oh misty eyed days....

he could, would be a pretty ****ish thing to do and you have o hope he has more respect for the club than that but it is a risk in modern football. Even if he does walk away for free he has been incredible value for money and a decent servant of the club during his time here.

is that not what he did to palace?

I don't agree. It would be inconvenient for our club, but he signed a four year contract. There is nothing wrong with fulfilling that contract and then looking for a new contract with whomever. He has no moral obligation to allow Southampton to gather the financial benefit of his future playing efforts. He is entitled to keep them to himself by signing on a free.

No Redslo, that will not fly! He has no legal obligation, it's true, but we certainly ought to get angry should the situation arise! It's like say if you bought a vibrating dildo, and exactly one day after expiration of the warranty period the vibrate function of the dildo stopped working, rendering the dildo effectively worthless. You would be pretty angry right? And frustrated? Even though your dildo is legally entitled to quit working after 366 days, you will be morally outraged, even when you recall, lest we forget, that this is exactly how you acquired a discount dildo in the first place (I mean, if Clyne is the dildo, and the Sex Shop is Crystal Palace, which tbf it pretty much is. It's a metaphor.)

No Redslo, that will not fly! He has no legal obligation, it's true, but we certainly ought to get angry should the situation arise! It's like say if you bought a vibrating dildo, and exactly one day after expiration of the warranty period the vibrate function of the dildo stopped working, rendering the dildo effectively worthless. You would be pretty angry right? And frustrated? Even though your dildo is legally entitled to quit working after 366 days, you will be morally outraged, even when you recall, lest we forget, that this is exactly how you acquired a discount dildo in the first place (I mean, if Clyne is the dildo, and the Sex Shop is Crystal Palace, which tbf it pretty much is. It's a metaphor.)

I view it more like renting a room at a cheap motel for two hours and then deciding I wanted to rent it for another hour only to be told that it is not available but I can rent a different room. That is the better metaphor. No wait. That is an analogy. Nevermind.

Not Clyne related as such but brilliant interview with Delph on 5 Live saying that he loves it at Villa, has great relationship with everyone at the Club and after the injury troubles he had he felt he owed it to Villa to stay. Said he would have been embarassed to leave for free after everything they invested in him. Made me think of Jay Rod really.

Came across brilliantly and sounded very genuine.

Not Clyne related as such but brilliant interview with Delph on 5 Live saying that he loves it at Villa, has great relationship with everyone at the Club and after the injury troubles he had he felt he owed it to Villa to stay. Said he would have been embarassed to leave for free after everything they invested in him. Made me think of Jay Rod really.

Came across brilliantly and sounded very genuine.

It means nothing what so ever.

Look at Lallana's interview a year before he left. Load of fan pandering media tosh, that's all it is

Oh, I don't think so, I'm v.surprised Delph signed new contract, he didn't need to do that. Being more clear sighted in his case than perhaps I am with Clyne, no-one could blame him for taking easy route out of Villa, being the way they are at the mo. Fair play to him!

It means nothing what so ever.

Look at Lallana's interview a year before he left. Load of fan pandering media tosh, that's all it is

A bit different: Lallana probably meant what he said, partly because he couldn't have dreamed of a big move 20 months ago whereas Delph has been playing consistently well.

A bit different: Lallana probably meant what he said, partly because he couldn't have dreamed of a big move 20 months ago whereas Delph has been playing consistently well.

This. In that interview Lallana only said that if he spent the rest of his career at SFC he'd be happy. Doesn't actually mean that was the only scenario where he could be happy. Like, say, Jason Dodd, if no big moves materialised he would have happily stayed.

He didn't handle his departure particularly well in the summer, but I think the spirit of that interview back then was perfectly genuine.

Players come, players go. Did you know there isn't a single one left from when I started supporting Saints?

I guess that is an advantage I have as a recent convert.

You mean that when we qualify for the Champions League we must have the ambition to win it?

Sure, why not. At least we should have the ambition to get out of the group phase.

Mirror's top United guy says they are confident of signing Clyne in the summer.

I would imagine its fairly well placed confidence tbh.

Would hope we didn't start talks when Koeman said but instead quite a while before that (a year or so back) but with all that was happening then at the club, it wouldnt suprise me and once Utd come calling arguably makes little difference.

Would be a shame to only get half the we fee we got for Shaw though. Clyne is a £20m plus quality player.

Edited by Saint Charlie

This. In that interview Lallana only said that if he spent the rest of his career at SFC he'd be happy. Doesn't actually mean that was the only scenario where he could be happy. Like, say, Jason Dodd, if no big moves materialised he would have happily stayed.

He didn't handle his departure particularly well in the summer, but I think the spirit of that interview back then was perfectly genuine.

On this, my dear Fry, I entirely agree with you. Then he played for England and suddenly the A34 was paved with gold. I fear the same thing may happen with Clyne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31064389

[h=1]Nathaniel Clyne: No Man Utd offer for right-back - Ronald Koeman[/h]Southampton manager Ronald Koeman says the club have not received any enquiries from Manchester United for right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

Clyne is out of contract in 18 months and has been linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Saints are still in talks with the England defender over a new contract and Koeman said United had not contacted them about the 23-year-old.

"A lot of rumours, but no bids into the club for Clyne," Koeman said.

"There is no news at the moment on a new contract. The club is still in talks to keep the player."

Southampton are poised to lose midfielder Jack Cork to Swansea after the clubs agreed a fee for the 25-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

And this exactly why I find it hard to get as enthusiastic about football as some posters on here. The team, all of them, and mercenaries and not loyal to the club no matter how much badge kissing they do

On the other hand who is loyal to the players apart from their agents, certainly not the club. Fans aren't either that's for sure, just look at the reaction to Cork leaving. Face up to it, we've dumped loads of really good loyal players on the way up the leagues during the past five years, who probably would have loved to stay here. Let's see, we still retain Davis, Fonte and Schneiderlin from a squad of what 24 or so back then... pots & kettles.