Jay Rodriguez - Any news?

SaintLondon

In saying that JRod is a good player, Koeman also said that "You" the press reps, might know that better than me. He was making the point that he hasn't actually seen JRod play. It was good to hear Koeman saying that a player's health and fitness are paramount to all else. Jay needs no encouragement to regain fitness as it's his career that depends on it but he is being helped, not only in the practicalities but by the lack of pressure on him. Once he is fit, though, it will be down to him to convince Koeman that he's as good as people remember.

Koeman update on Jrod: "I hope he can still play a part this season but we don't put pressure on him. He has to be back to full fitness. If that is in the last part of this season then I'm very pleased, if not, next season."

There is no rush, we're not going to go down, and yes it would be nice for him to play this season, but i'd rather he was fully ready before he came back. Would be a nice return, on the last day of the season at Man City, to come on and score and fire us into the Champions League ! ;)

Jay on Twitter:

Jay Rodriguez @JayRodriguez9

My new #f50 boots from @adidas.Training is going well and not long till I get back with the lads. #therewillbehaters

Positive news. I wonder what the chances of him making his comeback by 21st March are...?

Ive not been on my blog lately as I have been working harder than I think I have ever worked in the gym making sure I get 100% fit and come back to football even stronger!I signed a new deal with Adidas and the picture is of my new F50 boots which Im buzzing about using. Training is going really well now and Im working 6 days a week so I can get back with the lads as quick as possible as they’re flying at the moment and there is a real buzz about the club from everyone involved at Southampton.

Im really working hard to get fully fit and playing this season and I will keep you all updated with my progress

Jay

Created: 06 February 2015

http://officialjayrodriguez.co.uk/index.php/blog-news/38-new-boots

Cynical view:

Nice PR to make sure those interested clubs don't forget about him now the transfer window has shut.

I wonder where all those stories about City, Spurs etc interest originated from?

Come on Charlie, get a grip.

Maybe he is just keen to play for Saints again?

My cynical view: You post something and then would say nothing if most agree/support, but if they dont, claim you are just reporting AN other's view. Complex

Spot on.

Interesting timing for a "blog post" suggesting he is progressing well, given that yesterday Koeman pretty much said he will do well to play this season.

That is all. Hopefully he does come back as is a great player hence the likes of City or Spurs being interested in him. Shame his recovery hasn't gone entirely to plan.

Initially he was hoping to be back for Burnley in December so to maybe miss the whole season would be tough on him personally too, and if he won't sign a new contract it is a difficult situation for Saints to handle as we won't want to lose him on a free but may struggle to get a decent fee in the summer if he hasn't proven his fitness.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Cynical view:

Nice PR to make sure those interested clubs don't forget about him now the transfer window has shut.

I wonder where all those stories about City, Spurs etc interest originated from?

Clubs aren't going to forget about a player just because he isn't in the press. It's not like the scouting teams of Spurs, Liverpool, and Man City base their work around what players they hear about in the papers and write online blogs.

However, you have a point to a degree, even if you have expressed it a little silly. Jay's blog, and his twitter account, are jointly run by his management company. It is their business - no matter what his form or playing status - to promote him in a positive light. Koeman's statement yesterday may well have prompted them to want to put something out there more positively around Jay Rod - but it certainly wasn't done for other clubs benefit in case they'd forget about him.

I don't know if Jay's contract offer is still on the table but rejecting a 5 year deal in the middle of coming back from a cruciate ligament injury is a pretty big statement of intention as far as I am concerned. Come this summer he'll claim he is fit and that is going to be the biggest window of opportunity for him - and Saints - if he is to be sold. Then we'll see how serious the interest from the aforementioned three clubs are.

Spot on.

Interesting timing for a "blog post" suggesting he is progressing well, given that yesterday Koeman pretty much said he will do well to play this season.

That is all. Hopefully he does come back as is a great player hence the likes of City or Spurs being interested in him. Shame his recovery hasn't gone entirely to plan.

Initially he was hoping to be back for Burnley in December so to maybe miss the whole season would be tough on him personally too, and if he won't sign a new contract it is a difficult situation for Saints to handle as we won't want to lose him on a free but may struggle to get a decent fee in the summer if he hasn't proven his fitness.

I don't think he said that, simply said "he needs time"

Erm, shirley the timing is more to do with the Adidas deal...

The bloke is keeping his name out there whilst being side lined. Worked hard to make that name. Sponsors will want him to keep it that way as do we.

Jay pray you return and better your peak, oh and give us a full season of your new improved self.

Please realise after not playing for a while you are now regarded as a hat trick a game player!

• 11 months later...

Y

Unless you're a medical expert treating him, then it is just a feeling. There's not point being negative about it, he's got plenty of time on his side, has the talent and no reason he can't come back.

When he did early season, I thought physically he seemed alright, pace wasn't bad, it was just his touch was way off. Confidence, too much time away, I don't know but he was poor. But no reason he can't find that form. If he can come back and grab a couple of goals this season he'll be in a great place to start next season. That should be the aim really. I want to see him playing with Austin again, just off him or slightly wide. Both on form would be a great partnership, and I can't remember the last team to have a prolific english strike partnership.

Lambert and Sharp?

Y

Lambert and Sharp?

I agree it looked good on paper - because it ended up with a promotion - but the last half of that season was one of Lambert's worst goal droughts ever....

** Rickie scored in just 2 of the last 8 games, whereas Billy Sharp scored 8 goals in the same period. Without his contribution we might never have been promoted.

At the start of that promotion season the strike duo was Lambert and David Connolly, and that worked well until Connolly's absence through injury.

Between September and Christmas, Guly scored 10 goals in League and Cup, whilst Rickie managed just 6. Once was a hat-trick (v. Forest)..and 3 others were penalties.

It was ironic that Guly's super goal touch deserted him, just as Sharp arrived even though he still got game-time. With hindsight it was good that Adkins signed Sharp.

Jay Rod's long absence is sad to say the least, so we can hope that he re-discovers form, together with fitness. An Austin / JayRod partnership could be truly awesome.

(The saddest parallel to that must be Marian Pahars attempts to return. After his long injury time out, goals deserted him, but fans never forget the Great Escape years).