Sky Sports Sunday Suplement 'Saints would sell Pelle if they could'

Bensfcno1

can see it. he scores some goals but offers so little movement, pretty rubbish in build up play unless he chests it to someone and wins little in the air really (ie, hardly jumps for the ball unless it means an attempt on goal)

he does get battered all game mind

You really haven't a clue

It is incredibly tedious when you're trying to watch the game and the two commentators keep bleating on about players being sold, one of which isn't even in the current match they're commentating on, I agree Napalm.

Unfortunately, the Sky commentators are probably told to hype up all the possible transfers at this time of the season to get everyone to watch their Deadline Day coverage and bet on x, y or z player going to x, y or z club before the transfer window closes using their Sky Betting service.

You can't have a 5'6" targetman, but as every big striker from Ron Davies to Rickie Lambert has seen you get lots of attention from one or more defenders every game.

Bassong was all over Pellé throughout the game, and another ref. might have awarded a penalty or two....I thought Pellé did OK , and took his goal very well.

Pellé does well with ball-winning and reasonably well - given that he has so little time before he's clobbered from behind.

The biggest problem is that we have few players (except maybe Mané ) who are ready to pick up the pieces, and go for goal.

I was going to say, this thread does seem pretty Rickie Lambert-esque from a few years ago.

RIGHT. A manager is always pleased with any player who gets his name on the scoresheet. We might have said the same thing about Billy Sharp, who was hopeless in possession, and not much better in passing the ball....but it was his goals that got us home in the Championship season.

i think the bigger concern is who do we have lined up to replace Les Reed. he has next season or maybe the season after before retires. Have a good source who knows him well and this is what he has alluded too.

like him or not, he has great contacts within the game and has done a fine job fo saints. Imo the day he decides to call it a day will give us a big hole to fill.

I think SFC should stop talking to the Daily Mail and Sky. They make stuff up and twist other stuff.

Really, this crap Sky came out with about Saints fans seeing Mane for the last time as he went off yesterday, its plain ridiculous how desperate they are to unsettle us.

"Saints fans face a nervous couple of days before the transfer deadline shuts"

I'm not nervous at all, thanks.

You can't have a 5'6" targetman, but as every big striker from Ron Davies to Rickie Lambert has seen you get lots of attention from one or more defenders every game.

Bassong was all over Pellé throughout the game, and another ref. might have awarded a penalty or two....I thought Pellé did OK , and took his goal very well.

Pellé does well with ball-winning and reasonably well - given that he has so little time before he's clobbered from behind.

The biggest problem is that we have few players (except maybe Mané ) who are ready to pick up the pieces, and go for goal.

Watching MoTD 2 this morning and the tatters pointed out Tadic constantly moving to pick up Pelle's pieces while pointing Mane wasn't (just one game mind)

can see it. he scores some goals but offers so little movement, pretty rubbish in build up play unless he chests it to someone and wins little in the air really (ie, hardly jumps for the ball unless it means an attempt on goal)

he does get battered all game mind

"Offers so little movement" :D You literally cannot ever have seen him play.

I was going to say, this thread does seem pretty Rickie Lambert-esque from a few years ago.

Pelle is on my "players leaving next summer" shortlist.

Unfortunately the shortlist isn't short.

In order of likelihood (IMO) of first team players who won't be here this time next year... (doesn't include Ramirez)

1. Wanyama

2. Mane

3. Rodriguez

4. Fonte

5. Pelle

then the slightly less likely...

6. Cedric

7. Tadic

8. Juanmi

9. Forster

10. Bertrand

11. Romeu

Pelle is on my "players leaving next summer" shortlist.

Unfortunately the shortlist isn't short.

In order of likelihood (IMO) of first team players who won't be here this time next year... (doesn't include Ramirez)

1. Wanyama

2. Mane

3. Rodriguez

4. Fonte

5. Pelle

then the slightly less likely...

6. Cedric

7. Tadic

8. Juanmi

9. Forster

10. Bertrand

11. Romeu

Good side that. Possibly a bit too attacking though, making it a little unbalanced. I'd bring in Van Dijk and drop Juanmi to the bench.

Good side that. Possibly a bit too attacking though, making it a little unbalanced. I'd bring in Van Dijk and drop Juanmi to the bench.

I can't have us selling players we haven't bought yet! :D

Also not included Stekelenburg due to loan, though I'd be delighted if he stayed as Davis surely can't be cover next season and Gazzaniga is still a gamble at this stage.

Half of last season.

The half when teams didn't have two people marking him - which is how he started creating space for Mane to score instead, which is how we got to a situation where he's now dropping off ALL the time AND he's now getting into the box too. His workrate is phenomenal at the moment, and even his stupid near post run is becoming better timed and makes more sense with Rodriguez attacking the space behind him.

The half when teams didn't have two people marking him - which is how he started creating space for Mane to score instead, which is how we got to a situation where he's now dropping off ALL the time AND he's now getting into the box too. His workrate is phenomenal at the moment, and even his stupid near post run is becoming better timed and makes more sense with Rodriguez attacking the space behind him.

jesus, what a load of tosh

right up there with billy sharp doing it in the prem more than lambert would

jesus, what a load of tosh

right up there with billy sharp doing it in the prem more than lambert would

Still time. :)

Pelle was excellent at the start of last season, teams adjusted their systems to counter it, it took a few weeks for us to adjust our system, Mane started scoring more as a result. Now we have the best of both worlds as we vary the source. If we can get the balance right with the defensive players we'll be ok, but the defence is the source of the problems at the moment, not the attack. (Though I still can't explain why we were so inefficient with so much ball in Denmark).

This hysteria in the press about us selling everyone is just ridiculous.

Last was a bit of an exception as players were clearly unsettled by the Cortese, Pochetino issues, but nobody begrudged Lambert going possibly should have been stronger with Lovren and Lallana but they both engineered their move and financially we did very well, Chambers I question.

But this year I cannot see what the board has done wrong, Clyne was entering the last year of his contract and it looked as if he was exercising his right not to sign a new contract for whatever reason and we did the standard thing all clubs do and took the money whilst we could.

As for Schneiderlin they had promised he could go and he gave his all last season, if we had stopped him this time would he of this season ? I also think this could a terrible message to give young talented players we are trying to attract.

As for this Pelle debate works really hard for the team he occupies defenders and if we have width this creates room and opportunity for others he has good touch but is could be a better finisher. A real team man and is the first to step in and stick up for the youngsters, much rather he was in our team than against us !!