Saints announce fans' forum with Krueger, Reed and Koeman - October 19th

Saint-Armstrong

Fan and businessman says that a lot of doors were 'slammed shut' by Nicola Cortese. He asks if Saints are accessible to local firms?

Ralph: "We will never forget where home is."

Ralph notes the man's full name and says he will have a conversation with him after tonight about opportunities for local firms to get involved at Saints.

Female fan asks if Saints would establish a Women's Super League team, and if they can do something about the shirts in the club shop.

Les says he is talking to The FA and The Hampshire FA.

Says there are three teams with an association to the club, but it's a long path. Saints have now taken over control of the Hampshire FA's centre of excellence for girls. Les says they will develop in the same manner of the academy and that will come to be known as 'Southampton Ladies'. Women's football is in the five-year plan, also.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Bullet points from the Fans Forum……

Blackmore introduces Kruger, Reed and Koeman with 500 fans

Big cheer from the crowd as expected

koeman being asked why he does not have a FIFA legend card on FIFA.

he smiles

Hands up for questions…….

Q. When big clubs come in for our players, tell them its £50m or get stuffed

Les - Sadio was on our radar, we try to identify players who will be available and fit our profile. We put into motion to recruit him, it went on a while. RedBull pushed a hard bargain. We stuck with it. We have been victim of underhand tactics from others.

Ralf - Welcome everyone. We are very clear about who we are. We have evolved into a transparent club. In the summer we have to stick with what is best for the club and les and ronald head that.

Q. What is the strategy of the club if come Jan we are in a shout of the top 4 or are we not in a position to do that.

Les - We will not punt or gamble on the future. Our strategy is set out at the start of the season. We would always do what is right but NOT take a punt.

Q. Are there plans to increase the stadium

Ralf - The stadium would need to be full for multiple years. Until then it is not high up on the agenda. We have to build the club up in other ways. All the money the club make goes into the team. To expand the stadium would have an impact on player trading. it is not at the top of the list.

Ron - (on strategy) it is difficult sometimes as good players want to play at the highest level and play champions league. We talk to players all the time about this. The year extra Morgan stayed, he realised that the club gave him good advise to stay. it is hard, as the agent and his people are a big influence on a player

Q. Why do we not sign top players for 5 years, including the manager

Les - It is a good question. We try to have a long term strategy. spending under our budget and financial fair play rules restrict you sometimes. We cannot gamble finances like that. Some players will not accept a 5 year deal. If they did, many will want salary escalation within that. I can’t gamble the clubs finances 5 years in advance. Where we can, we do. We will sign younger players on the longest possible contract we can. We will not gamble with money we haven to received. We try in invest money we make back into the squad. Financial fair play is financial unfair-play as we can’t offer bigger contract as we have a ceiling. Our ceiling is a great deal lower than those teams we now compete against.

Q. Who is Ronalds favourite player for saints (from a very young lad)

Ron - err, very tricky (laughing). You look to players in many ways. Not always their goal scoring record but other qualities. We have a great captain in Jose Fonte and he finally scored a goal. Shows everyone what a great club this is. How to behave and everything.

Les - (on Fonte) His development in 5 years has been remarkable. We have a good track record of improving more senior players. We try to invest in players who show the same sort of profile as academy players, who can and will improve. Jose and Graziano have now got international recognition. Join this club, play at the top end of the Premier league and you will play for your country.

Ron - Jose was important last summer. I felt difficulties when we had to sell those players. Jose, Kelvin and Steven Davis kept the continuity. They assured the others that we will bring in new, quality players. They showed the ambition to the other players and the new signings came in.

Q. Depay not getting on to well at united, Do you think LvG is too demanding.

Would we still be interested in him in the future.

Ron - We were interested in him last year. He wanted to stay one more year in Holland before moving. He is having a difficult time but you have to accept that as he is only 21. Maybe he needs more time. If he comes on the market we are interested but he won’t and he will improve at united.

Q. Is there a new 5 year plan

Les - Yes, it belongs to the whole club. It started last summer, we got all the staff involved. We have to increase our revenues etc. New marketing plan, financial and football plan.

Ralf - March last year, we had a staff meeting. The staff gave us their ideas to produce that new plan. We are growing in Southampton and we are growing outside of that area. We are unique as a club. The younger ages groups at the training grounds is phenomenal. We also teach referees. We shall see new things happening in January and February in the USA that will help us financially. Our main priority is Ronald and the team. That can never be forgotten. We still want Champions League.

Q. We believe Ronald to be a man of values and of his word. We believe you will do at least 3 years. What would have to happen for you to stay longer at Saints

Ron - I have to be happy as I am now. This is a great club with good people. To still develop the team. For everyone to have the belief to continue. This is my second season. I will think about it later. It is too early to think about it but we have ambition to continue. Ambition to win trophies. If Aston Villa can play FA Cup final. Why can’t Southampton.

Q. Ralf, do you feel that fan loyalty is given back. Season ticket prices. Is there way of introducing a loyalty scheme.

Ralf - Staff members have taken that question on board. We will get back to you.

We tried to price the cup games, european and against Villa to get a full house and we have done that. We will look into what you say. I can’t give you and answer on such a point now and it would be wrong if I did. We love our fans and we will listen when points like this are raised. We need to get creative with this. The cup pricing is done deliberately to get new fans in. We can’t get it right all the time but we are trying.

Q. We have scored a few goals from set pieces in the last few games. Not the case last year. Have we done anything differently.

Ron - Nothing new has been going on. We have a very good record against us with set pieces in the premier league last season. We have sessions on set pieces. I hope we continue with what we have done in the last few games. It is a important part of the game

Blackmore - We have scored more headers this season already compared to last season.

Ron - We try to play from the back but that is not always possible. With Pelle we have a good header of the ball. We put attention into crosses in sessions.

Q. When Cortese came in, a lot of doors slammed shut to fans with small businesses who want to work with Southampton, will that change

Ralf - We must never forget where home is. Our commercial department is still its baby steps. We will endeavour to keep an eye on local business. Will look to local business owners to get ideas on how we can improve this. You are all very important

Q. Will Southampton introduce women super league team and increase female sportswear

Les - Part of the 5 year plan we was to develop a woman teams. Southampton Ladies is not far away. We will try to do it from the grass roots of ladies football and Hampshire county level. We want to build on that. It is our ambition to have a woman super league side.

Ralf - Been married 30 years, I know you have to keep women happy. There is moves already in place to improve our ladies sportswear range. You will see that in the near future. New year at first.

Q. Could Les explain the psyche of the modern day footballer. Surely it is not all about the money.

Les - I wish there was an answer we could give you that does not involve money. You will notice, we do not sell players downwards. The difference in salary from those clubs is just so huge. We may be able to persuade players to stay a little longer but when a player says he wants to play in the champions league, he really means he wants champions league and the trappings that goes with it. The salary jumps are huge. Sometimes 4x the basic. We are growing bit it is hard. The financial fair play just stops us even if we wanted to offer someone more money. Players who leave and their careers plummet, they will plummet on a huge pay packet.

Ron - In my opinion, it should always be a football reason and not a money reason when moving. Players who have left holland too early have not made it.

Q. Who is your favourite manager in the premier league you would play against

Ron - Mourinho. He still can’t win against us so I get points (Smiles).

Q. Are there any plans to limit/reduce costs of away tickets

Ralf - We are trying to push through with the other prem clubs to look at ticket prices. The ticket prices are being looked at all the time. We try to give back like we do in the cups. The hard thing is that we are trying to run a business that relies on no external money and you will all want top players and for the clubs to do its best. We will carry on looking at it and what we can do.

Q. Hardest player you have played against then Ronald

Ron - George Weah

All in all good to have a forum but limited benefit with poor questions.

Didn't really find out anything we didnt know, or anything of real interest.

Panel were good but can only comment on what they are asked

Overall: 4/10 from me.

Highlight: probably Ted from Totton being a fan for 74 years and Ronald being seemingly open to staying beyond his contract if things were right.

Lowlight: the first guy incoherently moaning about Sadio Man. Set the tone.

Suggestion: involve email/tweet questions for next one to improve quality.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Foeman being asked why he does not have a FIFA legend card on FIFA.

he smiles

Les - Sadio was on our radar, we try to identify players who will be available and fit our profile. We put into motion to recruit him, it went on a while. RedBull pushed a hard bargain. We stuck with it. We have been victim of underhand tactics from others.

Ralf - Welcome everyone. We are very clear about who we are. We have evolved into a transparent club. In the summer we have to stick with what is best for the club and les and ronald head that.

Q. What is the strategy of the club if come Jan we are in a shout of the top 4 or are we not in a position to do that.

Les - We will not punt or gamble on the future. Our strategy is set out at the start of the season. We would always do what is right but NOT take a punt.

Ralf - The stadium would need to be full for multiple years. Until then it is not high up on the agenda. We have to build the club up in other ways. All the money the club make goes into the team. To expand the stadium would have an impact on player trading. it is not at the top of the list.

Ron - (on strategy) it is difficult sometimes as good players want to play at the highest level and play champions league. We talk to players all the time about this. The year extra Morgan stayed, he realised that the club gave him good advise to stay. it is hard, as the agent and his people are a big influence on a player

Les - It is a good question. We try to have a long term strategy. spending under our budget and financial fair play rules restrict you sometimes. We cannot gamble finances like that. Some players will not accept a 5 year deal. If they did, many will want salary escalation within that. I can’t gamble the clubs finances 5 years in advance. Where we can, we do. We will sign younger players on the longest possible contract we can. We will not gamble with money we haven to received. We try in invest money we make back into the squad. Financial fair play is financial unfair-play as we can’t offer bigger contract as we have a ceiling. Our ceiling is a great deal lower than those teams we now compete against.

Ron - err, very tricky (laughing). You look to players in many ways. Not always their goal scoring record but other qualities. We have a great captain in Jose Fonte and he finally scored a goal. Shows everyone what a great club this is. How to behave and everything.

Les - (on Fonte) His development in 5 years has been remarkable. We have a good track record of improving more senior players. We try to invest in players who show the same sort of profile as academy players, who can and will improve. Jose and Graziano have now got international recognition. Join this club, play at the top end of the Premier league and you will play for your country.

Ron - Jose was important last summer. I felt difficulties when we had to sell those players. Jose, Kelvin and Steven Davis kept the continuity. They assured the others that we will bring in new, quality players. They showed the ambition to the other players and the new signings came in.

Ron - We were interested in him last year. He wanted to stay one more year in Holland before moving. He is having a difficult time but you have to accept that as he is only 21. Maybe he needs more time. If he comes on the market we are interested but he won’t and he will improve at united.

Les - Yes, it belongs to the whole club. It started last summer, we got all the staff involved. We have to increase our revenues etc. New marketing plan, financial and football plan.

Ralf - March last year, we had a staff meeting. The staff gave us their ideas to produce that new plan. We are growing in Southampton and we are growing outside of that area. We are unique as a club. The younger ages groups at the training grounds is phenomenal. We also teach referees. We shall see new things happening in January and February in the USA that will help us financially. Our main priority is Ronald and the team. That can never be forgotten. We still want Champions League.

Q. We believe Ronald to be a man of values and of his word. We believe you will do at least 3 years. What would have to happen for you to stay longer at Saints

Ron - I have to be happy as I am now. This is a great club with good people. To still develop the team. For everyone to have the belief to continue. This is my second season. I will think about it later. It is too early to think about it but we have ambition to continue. Ambition to win trophies. If Aston Villa can play FA Cup final. Why can’t Southampton.

Q. Ralf, do you feel that fan loyalty is given back. Season ticket prices. Is there way of introducing a loyalty scheme.

Ralf - Staff members have taken that question on board. We will get back to you.

We tried to price the cup games, european and against Villa to get a full house and we have done that. We will look into what you say. I can’t give you and answer on such a point now and it would be wrong if I did. We love our fans and we will listen when points like this are raised. We need to get creative with this. The cup pricing is done deliberately to get new fans in. We can’t get it right all the time but we are trying.

Q. We have scored a few goals from set pieces in the last few games. Not the case last year. Have we done anything differently.

Ron - Nothing new has been going on. We have a very good record against us with set pieces in the premier league last season. We have sessions on set pieces. I hope we continue with what we have done in the last few games. It is a important part of the game

Blackmore - We have scored more headers this season already compared to last season.

Ron - We try to play from the back but that is not always possible. With Pelle we have a good header of the ball. We put attention into crosses in sessions.

Q. When Cortese came in, a lot of doors slammed shut to fans with small businesses who want to work with Southampton, will that change

Ralf - We must never forget where home is. Our commercial department is still its baby steps. We will endeavour to keep an eye on local business. Will look to local business owners to get ideas on how we can improve this. You are all very important

Q. Will Southampton introduce women super league team and increase female sportswear

Les - Part of the 5 year plan we was to develop a woman teams. Southampton Ladies is not far away. We will try to do it from the grass roots of ladies football and Hampshire county level. We want to build on that. It is our ambition to have a woman super league side.

Ralf - Been married 30 years, I know you have to keep women happy. There is moves already in place to improve our ladies sportswear range. You will see that in the near future. New year at first.

Q. Could Les explain the psyche of the modern day footballer. Surely it is not all about the money.

Les - I wish there was an answer we could give you that does not involve money. You will notice, we do not sell players downwards. The difference in salary from those clubs is just so huge. We may be able to persuade players to stay a little longer but when a player says he wants to play in the champions league, he really means he wants champions league and the trappings that goes with it. The salary jumps are huge. Sometimes 4x the basic. We are growing bit it is hard. The financial fair play just stops us even if we wanted to offer someone more money. Players who leave and their careers plummet, they will plummet on a huge pay packet.

Ron - In my opinion, it should always be a football reason and not a money reason when moving. Players who have left holland too early have not made it.

Ralf - We are trying to push through with the other prem clubs to look at ticket prices. The ticket prices are being looked at all the time. We try to give back like we do in the cups. The hard thing is that we are trying to run a business that relies on no external money and you will all want top players and for the clubs to do its best. We will carry on looking at it and what we can do.

Ron - George Weah

Respect, good effort amigo

Not really important is it.

Why not? It's not as though money is being wasted on buying up a Ladies team and parachuting it into the Super League, Southampton Ladies will be born from the academy and provide a focal point for the young women and girls who play the game and give them a chance to aspire for playing for their club, you know, the 40-50% of people who are in our fan base who just so happen to not have the dream of currently playing for the club that is just as much theirs as yours. If it doesn't catch momentum, nothing lost, if it does, more the better.

I would consider it very important, it shows our club has a soul and exists as just that.... a football club for all.

Edited by Colinjb

Why not? It's not as though money is being wasted on buying up a Ladies team and parachuting it into the Super League, Southampton Ladies will be born from the academy and provide a focal point for the young women and girls who play the game and give them a chance to aspire for playing for their club, you know, the 40-50% of people who are in our fan base who just so happen to not have the dream of currently playing for the club that is just as much theirs as yours. If it doesn't catch momentum, nothing lost, if it does, more the better.

I would consider it very important.

They're not going to be playing for the club. If Saints want to chuck a few quid at it by all means, but it's not relevant to the majority of the 30k that watch Saints.

They're not going to be playing for the club. If Saints want to chuck a few quid at it by all means, but it's not relevant to the majority of the 30k that watch Saints.

totally agree with you.

ticket prices wont be going down if the club are committed to funding a womans team

There is no point debating this I know, lets just agree to disagree. Personally, I'm delighted that there will be a Southampton Ladies team again from next year, it brings us into the 21st century.

There is no point debating this I know, lets just agree to disagree. Personally, I'm delighted that there will be a Southampton Ladies team again from next year, it brings us into the 21st century.

I assume you will be going to watch them every week, home and away?

koeman being asked why he does not have a FIFA legend card on FIFA.

he smiles

Ron - George Weah

Missed most of it so cheers Batman.

I would consider it very important, it shows our club has a soul and exists as just that.... a football club for all.

Good answer.

I quite enjoyed that although it was hardly the most rebealing session.

Is that what it took to be glad the men's team didn't disappear when the club faced liquidation?

You bring the prawn sandwiches, i'll bring the thermos.

I'm delighted that gender will not be a barrier to my daughter playing for Southampton should she catch her father's interest in football. I had the pleasure of coaching a girl at u11 level who had to stop playing due to gender at the end of the season. She was heartbroken as there was no team for her to play for in the club, thankfully she found somewhere to continue and she now captains her city's semi-pro side. The pride and reward she gets from that is amazing, why would anyone want to deprive someone of that chance just because it doesn't fall inside their own personal spectrum or paradigms?

It's about time the club had a ladies team, this is truly fantastic news.

Edited by Colinjb

Surely a better system for future events would be to email questions to someone impartial (Adam Blackmore?) who selects 20 questions across a wide spectrum of topics. I know it was a kid but who cares who Rons favourite player is?