Saints announce fans' forum with Krueger, Reed and Koeman - October 19th

Saint-Armstrong

Interesting never heard of that yet but i will try this weekend.

Anyone doubting Koeman's commitment needs to read the below, a man of his beliefs, if we were Liverpool fans we'd have cr8p flags about this everywhere.

"We were at an away game once, having our pre-match meal. Our coach, Theo Verlangen, would go mad if he saw mayonnaise on our table. But this time he wasn’t paying attention when the waiter put some down in front of us.

Ronald (19) took a couple of chips, slapped them in the mayonnaise and just as he was about to eat them, Verlangen said: ‘Koeman! If you eat those, that’s a 500 guilder fine!’ Ronald stuffed them in his mouth and said: ‘Make it a thousand."

I did start "chips without mayo, it's not f'cking chips" in the square in Arnhem...

What about if did attend and you spent a good portion of the duration with arm aloft, intending to ask such a question, but were left frustrated by a deficit of staff with mics? Are you allowed a little grumble then?

Yep go for your life grumble until you feel better..........but in fairness a lot people complaining about stupid questions didn't even attend. If you went fair play feel free to vent

So anyway, I've only read this thread so that's my only source.

Women's team, I'm definitely in the "who cares" category as I have absolutely no interest in 14th rate women's football no matter who the clubs involved are - if the club's doing it to try and build support amongst girls, parents, and somehow thinking they're going to attract anyone who isn't already a Saints fan OTHER than the kids directly involved in playing, then I think they're mistaken. It's a sensible PR move so they don't look like they're actively ignoring anyone, but I seriously doubt it will build any bonds that don't already exist and it's sure as hell not a money spinner - the only person I know of who cares about women's football has already posted on this thread.

Quality of questions generally, difficult one - sounds like a filtering process or a stricter "say your name, ask your question" was needed at the very least. I had some good ones but didn't fancy going there to ask them, so maybe we need something like an AskRalph email address to pick them from (keep it off Twitter due to helmets...) then why not invite the people who have ALREADY asked the questions to ask them in person?

Obviously there's a difficulty in ensuring relevant questions beneficial to the most fans are balanced against everyone potentially being able to put in input, but these things repeatedly show some fans are incredibly selfish with the available time. Plus there's no defined "fan agenda" to judge relevance, one man's interesting question is another man's "yawn", and nothing shows that more than the women's football question (or the analytics one I'd have loved to have asked which would bore the crap out of normal people :D). So the question of "who filters the questions" needs resolving somehow without it being completely in the club's control to prevent them steering the agenda.

I care about women's football and I am in favour of it.

Interest seems to have grown during the World Cup and I think it is a good idea to get behind women's football. The standard will improve and it would be great to have more opportunities of filling our very bare trophy cabinet!

It doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing approach - at the end of the day, they still have actual people turn up to these events, so those people need to be involved to an extent. It's down to those hosting it, whether it's the BBC or anyone else, to ensure that the most interesting and relevant subjects and questions get covered, and if there's any time for anything else then throw it open to the floor.

And, most importantly, ensure the question introduction is "Hi, I'm [name], and I'm from [location], and my question is..." - while some people like hearing other fans' stories, there simply isn't enough time to include them in something like this.

The main problem is that they're limited to 57 minutes of broadcast time, and people need to remember that everyone is tuning in to hear what the top table has to say, not what their own life story is. The quicker the question gets asked, the more time there is to hear what those on the top table have to say on the matter.

An alternative would perhaps be to extend the forum to two hours - with the BBC's broadcast schedule, they could probably break for 10 minutes in the middle for the news or whatever, so it's not too intense. That way, you allow time for more of the "soft" questions as well.

Not a surprise in Sweden. After all, there is a pre-school there which bans the use of gender pronouns and encourages little boys to crossdress :lol:

oh that's purely kids stuff.....there's more ....

To be totally PC...the use of "han" (sw.HIM).....and "hon" (sw. HER).has been changed to " hen" .....so as to avoid all gender references. WTF !:facepalm:

.....just wait till they get to teenage, and are uncertain of their gender and feel free to enter whichever toilet they wish, regardless of the gen*tals they were born with....

It doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing approach - at the end of the day, they still have actual people turn up to these events, so those people need to be involved to an extent. It's down to those hosting it, whether it's the BBC or anyone else, to ensure that the most interesting and relevant subjects and questions get covered, and if there's any time for anything else then throw it open to the floor.

And, most importantly, ensure the question introduction is "Hi, I'm [name], and I'm from [location], and my question is..." - while some people like hearing other fans' stories, there simply isn't enough time to include them in something like this.

The main problem is that they're limited to 57 minutes of broadcast time, and people need to remember that everyone is tuning in to hear what the top table has to say, not what their own life story is. The quicker the question gets asked, the more time there is to hear what those on the top table have to say on the matter.

An alternative would perhaps be to extend the forum to two hours - with the BBC's broadcast schedule, they could probably break for 10 minutes in the middle for the news or whatever, so it's not too intense. That way, you allow time for more of the "soft" questions as well.

Going to be a **** Steve and ask what it has to do with "57 minute broadcast time" and the BBC? Thought this was club thing on YouTube?

Quality of questions generally, difficult one - sounds like a filtering process or a stricter "say your name, ask your question" was needed at the very least.

Prior to going on air, Blackmore did a short intro to the crowd and asked for exactly this. Unfortunately a few seemed to think that having the mic put in front of their faces made them more important than the rest in attendance.

Nothing breaks outdated gender paradigms like men subsidising women playing at something they will never be competitive at to humour them.

On a commercial basis it might encourage more women to buy merchandise for them and their partners.

oh that's purely kids stuff.....there's more ....

To be totally PC...the use of "han" (sw.HIM).....and "hon" (sw. HER).has been changed to " hen" .....so as to avoid all gender references. WTF !:facepalm:

.....just wait till they get to teenage, and are uncertain of their gender and feel free to enter whichever toilet they wish, regardless of the gen*tals they were born with....

It's coming here slowly but surely. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11939909/sexist-words-school-playground-report.html

But to be fair, there's little reason to separate public toilets except for fast lane (urinal) and slow lane (cubicles). We're just stuck with old infrastructure.

Prior to going on air, Blackmore did a short intro to the crowd and asked for exactly this. Unfortunately a few seemed to think that having the mic put in front of their faces made them more important than the rest in attendance.

The chap from Leicester just rambled on.

IMO, those lucky enough to go and even more lucky to get the mic have a bit of responsibility to other fans to keep it quick and try to keep it relevant

The chap who went on about loyalty points and such like made a good point. Just rambled on about it

I like the idea of that. Would also give people a small slot to go to the loo/the bar if they so wish.

Perhaps it would also make sense to split it into two halves, topic-wise i.e. operations in the first 55 mins and then football in the second. Might focus the questions a little better.

But it's not "sexist"! What is sexist about it? If they've been married 30 years, it's not because he's been an arse to her or her to him. A large part of marriage is about keeping your other half happy and being selfless sometimes.

If his wife had said it about him, would that still be sexist? They should indeed be congratulated with putting up with each other for so long and having a happy marriage, where they are both happy and making each other happy.

I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one! (and okay, I made the shoes bit up, it amused me because I'm simple)

Eh?! What has the state of Ralph's marriage, or even marriage in general got to do with a question about women in sport? He was asked a serious question, and decided to respond with a joke about how he knows from his marriage it's important to keep women happy. Nudge nudge, wink wink, shoe joke, nagging wife joke, blah blah.

You guys might find this funny, but to a woman interested in women in sport, it's pretty patronising. And daft for a guy in a senior position in a football club to attempt a joke like this. Particularly when there has already been criticism about Saints' lack of a woman's footie team. Jeez Ralph, I'm on your side here, please don't make jokes about the wife.

Like I said, old school. Bit like you lot really!

It's not old school it's how normal people react to what was clearly a lighthearted comment. Not everyone is an uber feminist like yourself. I expect the majority of women there weren't in the least bit offended because context is always key with these things and there was obviously no malice there. Be offended if you wish but don't expect many (or any so far) people to share those feelings. Most people prefer to get hot under the collar about things that matter, not some imagined slight from the chairman.

Because I can't bare to think badly of anyone at Saints FC I've decided to assume that Ralph meant it as an ironic joke to highlight how d*ckish it sounds making a "wife joke" to a woman asking a question about woman's sport.

Clever stuff Ralph.

It was dumb, especially in the context of the issue under discussion and as you say old school. Maybe he meant it as an ironic joke (big slice of benefit of doubt). My sister had a trial for Saints ladies back in the 1970s, it seems odd that 40 years further on there is no team.

Because I can't bare to think badly of anyone at Saints FC I've decided to assume that Ralph meant it as an ironic joke to highlight how d*ckish it sounds making a "wife joke" to a woman asking a question about woman's sport.

Clever stuff Ralph.

I'm sure he is deeply affected by your opinion that seemingly no one else shares.

Clever stuff Ralph.

The strange thing is Lou, that wasn't actually the sexist bit. Genuinely I think that was a harmless, if not hilarious throwaway one liner. The bit you should be getting animated about came after that when he said "the man who runs retail operations is called [XX] he's stood at the back but I won't point him out as you'll be after him".

That is the point at which I cringed and thought he clearly wouldn't be saying this if it was a man. At best, clumsy.

Clever stuff Ralph.

If I went to a rugby forum and asked about football I'd expect sarcasm. Ralph did well to even answer, I'd have replied " we're here to talk about Southampton MEN's team" . Women football is a different sport , perhaps I should have gone up and asked about saints running a Sunday morning pub team .

Have your own solant forum if you want to discuss chick football , although I suspect the audiance would consist of a couple of lesbians , a few perverts and a dozen assorted bra burners . Nobody , least of all most women, care about it . Get over it .

The strange thing is Lou, that wasn't actually the sexist bit. Genuinely I think that was a harmless, if not hilarious throwaway one liner. The bit you should be getting animated about came after that when he said "the man who runs retail operations is called [XX] he's stood at the back but I won't point him out as you'll be after him".

That is the point at which I cringed and thought he clearly wouldn't be saying this if it was a man. At best, clumsy.

Lol, I assume you're taking the mick out of me, CB Fry - there's no way he'd have said that!

Edited by Coxford_lou

I know it would be a ballbreaking task, but if the fans were asked to send their questions in, perhaps no more than 3 each, then they could be sifted and the issues that are raised the most get dealt with?

Should be done like Question Time, that way AB does the introduction and knows the question to be asked. He and his producers could sift through the questions and choose the most relevant and interesting, from a journalistic point of view, therefore not being 'censored' by the club.

Lol, I assume you're taking the mick out of me, CB Fry - there's no way he'd have said that!

As you know, I've been known to take the mick occasionally but he definitely did.

Ralph gets quickly carried away when he starts talking, whatever the topic, and in this instance he got carried away with laddish jokeyness. With cringe worthy consequences.

As you know, I've been known to take the mick occasionally but he definitely did.

Ralph gets quickly carried away when he starts talking, whatever the topic, and in this instance he got carried away with laddish jokeyness. With cringe worthy consequences.

Oh God! He did!! Nooo Ralph!!! Move that man away from the microphone! :mcinnes:

If I went to a rugby forum and asked about football I'd expect sarcasm. Ralph did well to even answer, I'd have replied " we're here to talk about Southampton MEN's team" . Women football is a different sport , perhaps I should have gone up and asked about saints running a Sunday morning pub team .

Have your own solant forum if you want to discuss chick football , although I suspect the audiance would consist of a couple of lesbians , a few perverts and a dozen assorted bra burners . Nobody , least of all most women, care about it . Get over it .

I think you will find it's football. Not men's football, women's football or even "chick football". Is the latter where very young kids run around like headless chickens after the ball?

I should add, Les's answer was brilliant though - very exciting times for girls in Hampshire! Sounded like he was taking it pretty seriously.

Lou - whether it makes any difference or not, I think he made the comment answering the woman's point about problems with the sizing of women's shirts in the store not actually the women's team. Adam Blackmore then said he had a problem too finding shirts that fit.

Lou - whether it makes any difference or not, I think he made the comment answering the woman's point about problems with the sizing of women's shirts in the store not actually the women's team. Adam Blackmore then said he had a problem too finding shirts that fit.

Yes, I just watched the clip - it's on YouTube. The young lad's face they cut away to after the first response says it all!

The first fans forum for years and we have spent how much space on discussing whether a throwaway line was sexist or not?

Firstly that shows how uninteresting some of the questions were. Secondly most of that discussion was instigated by a militant feminist on here. I would guess that most saints fans took it for the throwaway comment that it was and then promptly forgot about it.

Firstly that shows how uninteresting some of the questions were. Secondly most of that discussion was instigated by a militant feminist on here. I would guess that most saints fans took it for the throwaway comment that it was and then promptly forgot about it.

Whilst you don't want the club cherry picking questions, there has to be a better way. What a wasted opportunity. After all this time you would hope that the better questions would get asked but hey ho, that's a fans forum for you!

In fairness the women's football thing, and the USA thing did actually resemble actual news, which is rare on any fans forum. And Les was excellent throughout and dealt clearly with some of the issues that come up time and again on here about "taking a punt" and how we will manage our ambitions, and the "financial control" rules.

And even Ralph was good at putting the stadium expansion nonsense to bed for good.

But the BBC should have got questions in advance and teed them up properly. Too many life stories, as other have said. So you've been a Saints fan a long time, eh? No sh it mate, you're at a bloody fans forum.

Edited by CB Fry

:lol:

Genuine lol. :lol: Cat, meet pigeons.... Pigeons, say hello to cat.

The first fans forum for years and we have spent how much space on discussing whether a throwaway line was sexist or not?

Apologies, SOG. I always feel it's a bit rude to not reply to someone who has responded to me, so I guess that ups the volume of posts. I guess I just don't like ignoring people!

Not surprised at all to hear there were so many pointless questions and fans bugging themselves up st this event....

The amount of numpties who come on here before a game telling everyone why they won't be able to make the match .... Nobody actually cares, it's not important what you do or relevant.... Some people actually think it's important that they are a fan - it's not .... Only to you...

As for women's football - and whether a comment could be construed as sexist and therefore offensive is wasted energy.....

I have not listened to the recording of the forum but it sounded aweful....

Very glad I wasn't there to endure it....

So few people seem interested in asking first team technical football questions .....