Saints announce fans' forum with Krueger, Reed and Koeman - October 19th

Saint-Armstrong

Yet rather then addressing the topic you chose to specifically have a go at me. I'm flattered really darling, had no idea this was the place for that kind of flirtation, in, as you say, a football forum. X

If someone is lobbing about self righteous pomposity to the tune of "shall just we tell them to stay in the kitchen?" and "are you a sexist?" then I will specifically have a go at the person saying that.

Really, not difficult, but rather dull now.

If someone is lobbing about self righteous pomposity to the tune of "shall just we tell them to stay in the kitchen?" and "are you a sexist?" then I will specifically have a go at the person saying that.

Really, not difficult, but rather dull now.

Bless your heart you sensitive soul. Night dear. X

Was glad I went out and sunk a few tanglefoot rather than listen to that ( going from the summary on here) . Seriously what on earth has chicks football got to do with Sputhampton FC? ****ing hell I bet Ron was rolling his eyes then . Get the chance for some serious questions and answers and we get this rubbish .

What about tactics , our European campaign , is anyone leaving in Jan , are we after anyone in Jan . What's the next generation coming through like and are there any youngsters near the first team , injury updates , loads we could have found out that are far more important than shirts birds can fit in and their football . FFS

Wow. That is old school. Makes me think differently about Ralph. Press team need to have a word. Good god.

Obviously Ralph really meant "Happy wife equals a happy life" as lets face it when a wife "suffers" she sure as hell makes

sure that she doesn't "suffer" alone or even quietly come to that.

God you PC lot are getting more "Precious" by the week. :lol::lol:

Obviously Ralph really meant "Happy wife equals a happy life" as lets face it when a wife "suffers" she sure as hell makes

i wish someone had asked Ralf "why do women have small feet?"

if saints ladies win the league, do we give it large to pompey fans?

You really are a bore. When Southampton had two ladies teams, Red Star, and Southampton ladys, the rivalry between them and the Portsmouth lasses, was quite real, and they kicked lumps out of each other on the field. I was the manager of Southampton ladies for a while, and some of the skill sets, was very good, two of the girls had played for England. There is a place for woman's football, but bigots like you wouldn't see it.

I refer you to my previous answers. Ralph is a cringeworthy bellend.

He was awful yesterday, especially compared to Les who I thought was excellent and Ronald just being Ronald.

Ralph just rambles himself into a cul-de-sac almost every time he speaks.

I guess the question is, what on earth has referencing his wife got to do with a question about women's sport, rather than to make a sweeping statement about women in general with not so subtle references to the good old 'nagging wife' joke.

He clearly pitched the joke well for the likes of you. Just a shame he ****ed the likes of me off in the process.

Silly Ralph.

You really are a bore. When Southampton had two ladies teams, Red Star, and Southampton ladys, the rivalry between them and the Portsmouth lasses, was quite real, and they kicked lumps out of each other on the field. I was the manager of Southampton ladies for a while, and some of the skill sets, was very good, two of the girls had played for England. There is a place for woman's football, but bigots like you wouldn't see it.

This is true, the comedy value is excellent, I can only imagine how a womens football forum would look. Imagine meltdown on here about the lack of depth in the squad when the star striker will be missing for a year due to pregnancy. Or how our influential midfielder would miss a game during the transfer window due to period pains, conspiracy theories will abound. I'd hate to be their agent too, imagine contract negotiations when they're asking for a new deal, they could go on for weeks when the reply of "if you really knew me you'd know what was wrong with my contract, if you don't know I'm not going to tell you"

This is true, the comedy value is excellent, I can only imagine how a womens football forum would look. Imagine meltdown on here about the lack of depth in the squad when the star striker will be missing for a year due to pregnancy. Or how our influential midfielder would miss a game during the transfer window due to period pains, conspiracy theories will abound. I'd hate to be their agent too, imagine contract negotiations when they're asking for a new deal, they could go on for weeks when the reply of "if you really knew me you'd know what was wrong with my contract, if you don't know I'm not going to tell you"

How was your performance out there today? "Fine"

Are you sure, it looked like you were about the rip the refs head off? "Its fine, when I say it's fine, it's fine, now leave it"

Okay.

I thought last night was encouraging as an exercise in pursuing the club policy of more `openness` with the fans. Whilst the club can`t be blamed for the quality of questions I thought their responses were as honest as they could be. As this was the first of, I hope, many then I`m sure both the club and the fans will learn from last night`s experience and future forums should therefore be more `satisfying.` Adam Blackmore was excellent, so too were Les and Ronald. Not too sure about Ralph and his platitudes and I wonder whether Gareth Rogers might have been more `helpful.` All in all, thought, an enjoyable and encouraging evening.

Was glad I went out and sunk a few tanglefoot rather than listen to that ( going from the summary on here) . Seriously what on earth has chicks football got to do with Sputhampton FC? ****ing hell I bet Ron was rolling his eyes then . Get the chance for some serious questions and answers and we get this rubbish .

What about tactics , our European campaign , is anyone leaving in Jan , are we after anyone in Jan . What's the next generation coming through like and are there any youngsters near the first team , injury updates , loads we could have found out that are far more important than shirts birds can fit in and their football . FFS

All those questions were in behind the " I am a ST holder and live in xxxxxxx been a supporter for xxxxxx" x10 used up all the time. Coupled with only 2 people trying to get a microphone round 500 not many had a chance to get their questions asked

I think if we have more of these forums, say one at beginning of season as now and one towards the end, the rubbish questions we heard would have been all "used up" and we will get down to some nitty gritty, as advocated on this thread. To get this one up and running after 6 years is a start to be welcomed.

Lol. Football forum shocker.

Chairman of football club makes dismissive sexist response to serious question about women's football.

"Been married 30 years, I know you have to keep women happy."

Woman on football forum of 99% men, points out that the response is old school and sexist.

Several men on football forum of 99% men, state woman is too precious, PC, getting on high horse. One of which references his wife saying she laughed at it and then said now buy me some more shoes.

Good to know this place is consistent!

Edited by Coxford_lou

Chairman of football club makes dismissive sexist response to serious question about women's football.

Woman on football forum of 99% men, points out that the response is old school and sexist.

Several men on football forum of 99% men state women is too previous, PC, getting on high horse. One of which references his wife saying she laughed at it and then said now buy me some more shoes.

Try not to let it upset you dear, you'll get all teary :D

But it's not "sexist"! What is sexist about it? If they've been married 30 years, it's not because he's been an arse to her or her to him. A large part of marriage is about keeping your other half happy and being selfless sometimes.

If his wife had said it about him, would that still be sexist? They should indeed be congratulated with putting up with each other for so long and having a happy marriage, where they are both happy and making each other happy.

I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one! (and okay, I made the shoes bit up, it amused me because I'm simple)

I attended unfortunately didn't get to ask a question so many hands up all the time. I would have liked their opinion on the boxing day KO time especially for those that have to travel, I know its because of TV but nevertheless still not ideal. I thought the 3 of them came across well, as a friend of mine mentioned Ralph reminded us a bit of Andrew Cowan, seemed very keen to please the fans and willing to listen and even follow up on a couple of issues.

I refer you to my previous answers. Ralph is a cringeworthy bellend.

Can someone explain what his role is?

Les seems to be de facto chairman, which rather leaves Ralph looking for something to do. Why not just make Les chairman? I realise that that is the owners prerogative, but still, Ralph seems to do f all and is almost like Rupes bringing in Clive Woodward.

Just caught up with it.

Came on here to see the discussion and yet again it's keyboard worriers galore. Just PM one another guys, cheers.

Anyway, was good to have the forum back but it was obviously going to be full of terrible irrelevant questions. I really don't care how long someone who is older than me has been supporting a team. When I'm their age I would have been supporting Saints a long time too.

A couple of decent questions. I personally liked the small businessman's question about local businesses being able to get involved with the club. Community is still important. Ralph was his usual rambling self but inviting him back for a conversation could have a positive effect.

Interesting that some players turned down bigger offers to come here. My guess would be VVD and OR.

The stadium expansion can be completely put to bed.

If you like woman's football or not, I'm glad to see we have a plan in place to be in the super league.

Les was very good and is so very key to the club. It seems with him here, this club will always be steady.

Les seems to be de facto chairman, which rather leaves Ralph looking for something to do. Why not just make Les chairman? I realise that that is the owners prerogative, but still, Ralph seems to do f all and is almost like Rupes bringing in Clive Woodward.

Les heads up the football side doesn't he? The chairman is more of a business role I would have thought.

Several men on football forum of 99% men, state woman is too precious, PC, getting on high horse. One of which references his wife saying she laughed at it and then said now buy me some more shoes.

Pretty sure he said how to keep women happy. It wasn't sexist...

Quick rule of thumb is that the directors manage the company and the chairman manages the directors.

There are, however, different levels of chairman. Exec and non exec, and some are chairman and functional director.

As far as Saints goes from what I can see, Kreuger is a straightforward chairman responsible to the shareholders to ensure that the directors are running the company in the correct way and in the shareholder's best interests. You will find that "professional chairmen" can often be chairman of several companies because it's a part-time role, whereas hands-on functional directors usually have a full-time job with one company.

We have a finance director, a CEO and football director handling the day to day stuff.

But it's not "sexist"! What is sexist about it? If they've been married 30 years, it's not because he's been an arse to her or her to him. A large part of marriage is about keeping your other half happy and being selfless sometimes.

If his wife had said it about him, would that still be sexist? They should indeed be congratulated with putting up with each other for so long and having a happy marriage, where they are both happy and making each other happy.

I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one! (and okay, I made the shoes bit up, it amused me because I'm simple)

If he said it with a smile and a wink then I don't see the problem. My misses and her mates make jokes about their partners all the time which would fail the PC control board but it is just the usual banter between the sexes.

Edited by sadoldgit
spelling

As Adam Blackmore pointed out last night, we are one of a very few clubs that are willing to put their top people in front of a live audience to answer questions that have not been vetted beforehand.

If questions had to submitted in advance, the moaners would say that we're being censored. I'd rather run the risk of some of the questions being a bit banal than have the club decide what questions can be asked.

As Adam Blackmore pointed out last night, we are one of a very few clubs that are willing to put their top people in front of a live audience to answer questions that have not been vetted beforehand.

If questions had to submitted in advance, the moaners would say that we're being censored. I'd rather run the risk of some of the questions being a bit banal than have the club decide what questions can be asked.

You could do both. You could have some pre submitted questions that have been vetted and that are good questions and then take some from the floor.

To drag this back to this evening-does anyone else get the impression that Ralph adds next to nothing as chairman?

If he spoke in his rambling, flowery, question-avoiding tones as a CEO of a medium to large company in a different sector, he'd get laughed out the door

I suspect that Ralph is our owner's trusted eyes and ears. As long as having him in the position of Chairman keeps her on board, and gives her the confidence that her money is being spent wisely and not squandered, I am happy to listen to his flowery rambling all day!

Quick rule of thumb is that the directors manage the company and the chairman manages the directors.

There are, however, different levels of chairman. Exec and non exec, and some are chairman and functional director.

As far as Saints goes from what I can see, Kreuger is a straightforward chairman responsible to the shareholders to ensure that the directors are running the company in the correct way and in the shareholder's best interests. You will find that "professional chairmen" can often be chairman of several companies because it's a part-time role, whereas hands-on functional directors usually have a full-time job with one company.

We have a finance director, a CEO and football director handling the day to day stuff.

Indeed, and in fact Ralphie is not even on the board of the football club.

The officers of Southampton Football Club Ltd are:

Katharina Liebherr - Chairman

Gareth Rogers - Chief Financial Officer

Leslie Arnold Reed - Director

Karenjit Dhaliwal - company secretary

The holding company is called St Mary's Footbal Group Limited. The difference there is that Leslie is not on the board, so it's a swap of Ralph for Les: Ralph, Katharina, Gareth.

I expect Ralph is barely involved in the football management which is evidenced by him not being on the football opco board. His role seems very much to be an advisor to Katharina and to take oversight of things like our international strategy and help Katharina steer the whole thing wherever she wants it to go. Let's not forget, she ended up in this position as an unfortunate result of circumstance.

It's Les and Gareth who are the executive "doers" regarding business-as-usual.

In terms of Ralph, I think there's clearly something that the Liebherrs like about him and if he's an important tie between the club and them then so be it. Personally, I find him irritating.

Sorry to bring the stadium expansion question up again, but last night's response that we need to fill up the existing stadium for multiple years before expanding drew a frown from me.

Are they looking for a complete and total sellout every game? Many a time I go looking for say 3 or 4 seats together and it isn't possible. You can't split families up. There may be one seat in the Northam, one seat in the Kingsland etc but that isn't what we need.

Build it, they will come. No club sells every seat every game.

Sorry to bring the stadium expansion question up again, but last night's response that we need to fill up the existing stadium for multiple years before expanding drew a frown from me.

Are they looking for a complete and total sellout every game? Many a time I go looking for say 3 or 4 seats together and it isn't possible. You can't split families up. There may be one seat in the Northam, one seat in the Kingsland etc but that isn't what we need.

Sometimes it helps to read between the lines.

I think they would accept a few seats unsold each game and consider that a sellout. How much would it cost to expand the stadium - lets hypothetically say it costs £20m to expand by 8k seats, and in the meantime capacity is reduced by 8k for a season while it is built. You've got a cost of £20m + (8k * 20 * £30) = £24.8m. Then to get that money back you've got to raise £25m from those extra 8k seats which will take 5 seasons at £30 a ticket (presuming they all sell and presuming 200k a season is raised in other income while those people are at the stadium). It's not a very attractive proposition especially when the team needs investment.

It wold properly make more sense to build another stadium but that is an argument for another day.

So we moan when the club doesn't hold a forum and invite fans to ask questions then we moan when they do have a forum because the quality of questions is deemed to be crap !

is that about right ?

You can bet your bottom dollar if the club had screened or picked the questions in advance people would have accused them of censorship.

The format of these kind of Q&As means people are unlikely to get the questions asked that they want.

If someone is determined to hold Ralph to account on commercial income or such like they need to get their arse down there and ask their question complaining no one asked the question you wanted asked when you didn't go is pretty stupid IMO.

So we moan when the club doesn't hold a forum and invite fans to ask questions then we moan when they do have a forum because the quality of questions is deemed to be crap !

is that about right ?

No. Some always believed them to be a huge waste of time..

Edited by notnowcato

You can bet your bottom dollar if the club had screened or picked the questions in advance people would have accused them of censorship.

The format of these kind of Q&As means people are unlikely to get the questions asked that they want.

If someone is determined to hold Ralph to account on commercial income or such like they need to get their arse down there and ask their question complaining no one asked the question you wanted asked when you didn't go is pretty stupid IMO.

What about if did attend and you spent a good portion of the duration with arm aloft, intending to ask such a question, but were left frustrated by a deficit of staff with mics? Are you allowed a little grumble then?

What about if did attend and you spent a good portion of the duration with arm aloft, intending to ask such a question, but were left frustrated by a deficit of staff with mics? Are you allowed a little grumble then?

I suggest spending 57 minutes this afternoon with your other arm aloft to balance things out ;)