The Oscars

Guided Missile

Fucking hell you boys have been busy today.

what if Will Smith was a white Nazi  in full gear wearing a swastika and Chris Rock was about to fire a rocket launcher at his missus who wasn’t a Nazi but clearly had a heavy cold? Would it be right to offer a slap? Eh? Eh?

btw made me smile someone comparing Denzel Washington. Pure Brent

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For the record, who actually said that?

You've heard of the phrase "trying to make out" right?

I'd stand down if I were you, you've already done your "what if she had cancer//nobody's talking about her having cancer" double post routine on this thread already.

For the record does Jada have cancer? For the record tell me.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

to be honest, it was a shit fight. Would have been much better if Rock had gone after him, jumped on his back and they both fell to the floor, proper school yard stuff, that would have been excellent. George Clooney, Rebel Wilson, Tom Cruise and co  all surrounding them, clapping hands and chanting 'fight, fight, fight...' 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

to be honest, it was a shit fight. Would have been much better if Rock had gone after him, jumped on his back and they both fell to the floor, proper school yard stuff, that would have been excellent. George Clooney, Rebel Wilson, Tom Cruise and co  all surrounding them, clapping hands and chanting 'fight, fight, fight...' 

3 white people cheering on two black men fighting. This isn’t apartheid South Africa noodles 

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You've heard of the phrase "trying to make out" right?

I'd stand down if I were you, you've already done your "what if she had cancer//nobody's talking about her having cancer" double post routine on this thread already.

For the record does Jada have cancer? For the record tell me.

I shall stand down when it suits me and not before. You’ve been caught out and you’re trying to change the record. I never wrote “what if she had cancer” did I?

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shall stand down when it suits me and not before. You’ve been caught out and you’re trying to change the record. I never wrote “what if she had cancer” did I?

No you said "would it be funny to make a joke about someone with cancer" So word for word you didn't, but you brought a completely hypothetic nonsense argument into the equation.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You brought cancer into this discussion when it had nothing to do with cancer. Completely irrelevant and pretty disgusting in my opinion.

It's on this thread, on the record.

Who's been caught out?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

You brought cancer into this discussion when it had nothing to do with cancer. Completely irrelevant and pretty disgusting in my opinion.

It's on this thread, on the record.

Who's been caught out?

You've got far too much time on your hands mush, ever thought about a hobby?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

No you said "would it be funny to make a joke about someone with cancer" So word for word you didn't, but you brought a completely hypothetic nonsense argument into the equation.

Whitey's point is that jokes at the expense of anyone's appearance as a result of health issues are unnecessary. It's a good point which I agree with.

If you, CB Fry or anyone else have different lines of acceptability to the likes of me and Whitey so be it, but his words have been hugely distorted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, egg said:

Whitey's point is that jokes at the expense of anyone's appearance as a result of health issues are unnecessary. It's a good point which I agree with.

If you, CB Fry or anyone else have different lines of acceptability to the likes of me and Whitey so be it, but his words have been hugely distorted.

In that environment, isn't it essentially the job of the 'comedian' host to make jokes about the people attending?

Like CB has already stated, it's not clear whether Rock knew about the 'minor' medical condition before he made the joke about her appearance.

If the ability of comedians to take the piss out of attendees is cancelled, what does that leave them with?  Are they supposed to try and push the boundaries with jokes about the furniture, table dressings etc?  Would be an even more boring comedy segment if so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In that environment, isn't it essentially the job of the 'comedian' host to make jokes about the people attending?

Like CB has already stated, it's not clear whether Rock knew about the 'minor' medical condition before he made the joke about her appearance.

If the ability of comedians to take the piss out of attendees is cancelled, what does that leave them with?  Are they supposed to try and push the boundaries with jokes about the furniture, table dressings etc?  Would be an even more boring comedy segment if so.

I don't want to labour the obvious, but how a woman looks is a sensitive issue. Take the piss out of them by all means, but unless you know someone will be cool with it, a decent comic doesn't have to go near their physical appearance. To you her condition may be "minor", but I doubt it is to her. 

Anyways, the topic has been done to death. It seems a number of us have different moral positions on this. Nowt wrong with that : )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I agree with this but then as much as the comic has a right to take the piss, the audience has a right to be offended and take up the issue themselves. Perhaps physical violence is one step too far but in this case Smith clearly did not intend to actually hurt Rock, if you have a free shot on anyone, chances are you are going to deck them. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

I agree with this but then as much as the comic has a right to take the piss, the audience has a right to be offended and take up the issue themselves. Perhaps physical violence is one step too far but in this case Smith clearly did not intend to actually hurt Rock, if you have a free shot on anyone, chances are you are going to deck them. 

Perhaps physical violence is one step too far? I don’t think there is any perhaps about it is there? If you hit anyone with a fist or a palm there is a very good chance that you will hurt them. In some case people have died. No one knows what his intention was when he launched his attack, but I don’t think that by throwing a punch/slap at someone it  can be assumed that there is no intention to cause any harm to the recipient.

To those supporting Will Smith what should happen to Ricky Gervais? He's cracked far worse jokes on stage at the expense of others. Jimmy Carr is another one, often picks people out in the crowd to make fun of, with worse jokes than Chris Rock posted. Where is the line and what suitable redemption should have been dished out?

It gets stranger. Apparently the Academy asked Smith to leave but he refused. Why not then have security remove him? Why carry on and give him the award and a platform?  There is also a clip doing the rounds from a different angle showing Jada laughing after the slap when Rock says that Smith had hit the shit out of him. No attempt by her to try and calm her husband down, even when he started hurling abuse at Rock.

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

To those supporting Will Smith what should happen to Ricky Gervais? He's cracked far worse jokes on stage at the expense of others. Jimmy Carr is another one, often picks people out in the crowd to make fun of, with worse jokes than Chris Rock posted. Where is the line and what suitable redemption should have been dished out?

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It gets stranger. Apparently the Academy asked Smith to leave but he refused. Why not then have security remove him? Why carry on and give him the award and a platform?  There is also a clip doing the rounds from a different angle showing Jada laughing after the slap when Rock says that Smith had hit the shit out of him. No attempt by her to try and calm her husband down, even when he started hurling abuse at Rock.

Be very careful guys, you’re dangerously close to agreeing on this issue.