Other Weekend Matches - 13th & 14th Feb

SuperSAINT

Not sure I've seen much dourness in the handful of Leicester games I've watched this season. Attack attack attack seems to be there method. They've got the league's top scorer and another not far behind. And Kante has been pretty good for them too. Sure Wasilewski is a bit of a basic thug - cost them the game last night - but they have been worth their position all season.

Anti-football? Is this a wind up? Comical if not. Leicester are a proper team. Assume you must be a Sky Sports moulded fan

They have the worst pass accuracy in the league, the second lowest possession and the second lowest passes per game.

They get 10 men behind the ball then whack it up to Vardy.

For some reason they get away with numerous fouls in their own box.

They've been very lucky and very skanky and have been fortunate to combine that with a striker on a huge hot streak. The reason they are where they are is down to a high shot conversion rate. Basically, the Prem is so weak that an in-form striker can carry a team to top 4. We saw that with 'pool and Suarez before.

http://goal91.com/soccer-zone/leicester-have-the-lowest-passing-accuracy-in-the-league-and-are-19th-in-terms-of-average-possession-and-passes-per-game-plus-other-stats---5495.html

Good for them but a rank indictment on English football if they achieve anything.

They have the worst pass accuracy in the league, the second lowest possession and the second lowest passes per game.

They get 10 men behind the ball then whack it up to Vardy.

For some reason they get away with numerous fouls in their own box.

They've been very lucky and very skanky and have been fortunate to combine that with a striker on a huge hot streak. The reason they are where they are is down to a high shot conversion rate. Basically, the Prem is so weak that an in-form striker can carry a team to top 4. We saw that with 'pool and Suarez before.

http://goal91.com/soccer-zone/leicester-have-the-lowest-passing-accuracy-in-the-league-and-are-19th-in-terms-of-average-possession-and-passes-per-game-plus-other-stats---5495.html

Good for them but a rank indictment on English football if they achieve anything.

See my take on it is every team has to work with what they've got. Not everyone can play endless possession football nor can every team afford top quality players to play super attractive fuzbol so if you can find a system that works successful I don't think you should get criticized for it. I hope Leicester win the league personally much better than seeing the same mega rich clubs dominating everything.

So? Why is it 'better' football to pass aimlessly amongst the back 4 (which is the only way teams have high completion rates and total passes) than it is to be clinical and effective when you have the ball?

Leicester, in my opinion, have played the best football in the league this year. Direct, pace, power, and the talent of Mahrez thrown in as well

Possession means two fifths of **** all if you don't do anything with it.

And stats can say whatever you want them to say. Second lowest passes per game to me means they don't waste time recycling through the back four, preferring to keep attacking opposition defenses until they work their way through.

I would much rather watch that then watch (as an example) Michael Carrick and Chris Smalling play kick to kick cause they have nothing else to offer.

The only stat that should matter is they have conspired to lose just three games out of 26 so far. An incredible achievement.

We have scored a total of 34 goals this season. Between them Vardy and Mahrez have scored 33. If one of them gets injured the wheels may fall off. But they've got this far I wouldn't put it past them to keep going.

I haven't seen that much hoof to Vardy. He's got that much pace he seems to have no problem running through lines with the ball. And with Mahrez up there as well they have plenty of firepower.

They are nailed on for top four now at least, and again, they thoroughly deserve it.

Edited by GarrettIvo
Remembered the difference between winning and losing.

Hope England can play like Leicester. Patient and strong in defence, tenacious but talented in midfield and absolutely breathtaking on the break. They are far more enjoyable to watch than all the square passing stuff between centre backs.

Anyone else notice the Mirror included an article linking Kante with Arsenal just before the Arsenal Leicester game? Perfect timing to perhaps unsettle the player (which didnt work at all I might add) which seems to happen a lot.

Hope England can play like Leicester. Patient and strong in defence, tenacious but talented in midfield and absolutely breathtaking on the break. They are far more enjoyable to watch than all the square passing stuff between centre backs.

Exactly this - I was saying yesterday that it's refreshing to see football played "properly".

I mean, the tippy tappy stuff can be nice to watch, but it's very dull and as we saw under Pochettino, possession doesn't score you goals and I think he's just got very lucky with Harry Kane right now.

I actually like the way Saints play at the moment too, some really good defensive play that would be good for any kids to watch and learn from. When we break and counter properly, it's great to watch.

Usually I prefer games between teams near us in the table to be draws so that they both drop a couple of points but I did prefer Man City losing to Tottenham as that has allowed us to move 3 points closer to 4th place. The low point though, for me, was the punditry on MotD2 in relation to the Leicester/Arsenal game when T Sherwood said that strikers are 'entitled' to run into defenders in the penalty area and throw themselves to the ground. Managers encouraging players to cheat should be eradicated from the game just as cheats are being dealt with in cycling, tennis and athletics. It was disappointing that the BBC presenter didn't challenge Sherwood on his unacceptable comments.

Exactly this - I was saying yesterday that it's refreshing to see football played "properly".

I mean, the tippy tappy stuff can be nice to watch, but it's very dull and as we saw under Pochettino, possession doesn't score you goals and I think he's just got very lucky with Harry Kane right now.

I actually like the way Saints play at the moment too, some really good defensive play that would be good for any kids to watch and learn from. When we break and counter properly, it's great to watch.

Got lucky with Harry Kane? What does that even mean? Have Leicester got lucky with Jamie Vardy or Riyad Mahrez that account for nearly 70% of Leicester's goals?

And shouldnt kids be learning from Spurs defence? After all, it's the best defence in the league, part of a side that also manages to score plenty of goals.

This place, in your own words, throws up some right proper helmets :lol:

I think spurs play the best football in the league

Like we had under MP, they have a high number of english players in their side. Which is refreshing to see from a side gunning for the title

cant be a coincidence

It's a question open for debate but it depends on whether or not you think the best football is the most effective football or the more aesthetically pleasing football (which is also open to your own view on how football should be played).

For me Arsenal play the best football but it is not always the most effective.

It's a question open for debate but it depends on whether or not you think the best football is the most effective football or the more aesthetically pleasing football (which is also open to your own view on how football should be played).

For me Arsenal play the best football but it is not always the most effective.

I think spurs combine the two very well

Nice going forward with an excellent defence.

Arsenal have always played brilliant football but have, for years, been pretty shyte in defence when it comes to the crunch