Davies to Stoke?

Saint Charlie

Hmm, it will be sad IF Davies goes as he would have steadied the ship a bit. Plus that is a paltry fee for him.

However if it paves the way for Baird to return then that would soften the blow a little - of course thats all gonna happen in make believe land in my head!

Isn't it £500k more than we paid for him less than 12 months ago and after only 23 games?

This a good post, and may have hit the nail on the head.

If it is true, this suggests to me further mis-management of Southampton Football Club by Rupert Lowe, since it indicates his much-vaunted business plan presented to the bank was a complete fairy-tale not worth the paper it was written on.............

What was in the business plan?

This is a league full of journeymen pros and untried youngsters. Perry, Svennson, Schniederlin (sp?), Wotton, Thomas, and with Lancashire and possibly Racine in reserve - I would say we are better covered at CB than any other position.

It is unpalatable, but if we need the cash, what is your alternative?

Of that list, Perry, Svennson and Thomas are going to be prone to injuries because of their age, as is Wotton. Wotton playing at the back would also reduce options of playing him in midfield as would Scneiderlin who has proven to be influential there. Lancashire and Racine are the untried and inexperienced youngsters who might be overun in this division.

Frankly, it isn't a list that fills me with confidence that it will be sufficient to last a season and keep the goals against column down to reasonable figures. I predict that by selling Davies to avoid administration, we are attempting to achieve that end merely by another route, via relegation.

Hmm, it will be sad IF Davies goes as he would have steadied the ship a bit. Plus that is a paltry fee for him.

However if it paves the way for Baird to return then that would soften the blow a little - of course thats all gonna happen in make believe land in my head!

Would rather have Davies than Baird

If it is true, this suggests to me further mis-management of Southampton Football Club by Rupert Lowe, since it indicates his much-vaunted business plan presented to the bank was a complete fairy-tale not worth the paper it was written on.............

Alpine you are really a negative poster really anti everything which is going on you comments do not reflect the real state of SFC at the present moment.

I am not sure why you are doing it but your comments are not really helping the cause.

This not mis management at all part of the business plan would have consisted in getting in transfer fees reducing players wages and this is what is happening.

Of that list, Perry, Svennson and Thomas are going to be prone to injuries because of their age, as is Wotton. Wotton playing at the back would also reduce options of playing him in midfield as would Scneiderlin who has proven to be influential there. Lancashire and Racine are the untried and inexperienced youngsters who might be overun in this division.

Frankly, it isn't a list that fills me with confidence that it will be sufficient to last a season and keep the goals against column down to reasonable figures. I predict that by selling Davies to avoid administration, we are attempting to achieve that end merely by another route, via relegation.

I do not think SFC unfortunately are bothered whether you and me are filled with confidence they just wish to balance the books.

We obviously should never have bought Davies as we could not afford him

Edited by John B

Alpine you are really a negative poster really anti everything which is going on you comments do not reflect the real state of SFC at the present moment.

I am not sure why you are doing it but your comments are not really helping the cause.

This not mis management at all part of the business plan would have consisted in getting in transfer fees reducing players wages and this is what is happening.

..errrr... "sell everything with a pulse" (as spotted by alpine), would more than achieve this...

..errrr... "sell everything with a pulse" (as spotted by alpine), would more than achieve this...

What are you trying to say are you trying to be clever ?

If we sold everybody we would have no income would we but would have out goings

We allowed our predicament out into the public domain about need to cut costs and wages

JP was permitted to state very publicly which players had no future and could go.

Is it hardly any surprise that we are not getting the fees or sales we planned for ? Other clubs see us and our weakness coming.

Its been mis-managed. The cuts are going to be deeper than the worst any of us feared.

I am doing this because the club is being further wrecked by the current activity; this will postpone administration, not prevent it.

And I hardly think my comments are going to effect the clubs fortunes or hinder the "cause"

A genuine question here.....but how is this true? It is hardly Lowe's fault that we couldn't sell the players we were hoping to....is it? ;-/

A genuine question here.....but how is this true? It is hardly Lowe's fault that we couldn't sell the players we were hoping to....is it? ;-/

Please see post slighty above.

I suspect the new board-room mouthiness to prop up the share price in the short-term after the board room change "we're in a mess because of the last board, but we are going to sort it out with tough decisions" has weakened our position at the transfer negotiation table.

So, accepting we are going to be in the bottom half of the table, which of the teams likely to be with us are better off?

You're a veritable ray of sunshine aren't you Alpine? I don't know why you bother getting up in the mornings! Moan, moan, bloody moan that's all that's ever heard!

Not a word on how encouraging it is to see the team start to gel and look to play attractive, attacking football.

I really do wonder why some posters on here realy do seem to want the team to do badly in order that it fits their agenda.

It's hardly a wonder no-one posts on here any more!

So, accepting we are going to be in the bottom half of the table, which of the teams likely to be with us are better off?

Probably the ones with the more established teams used to playing together, with adequate cover for injuries, the teams with a the best blend of experienced older heads blended with youthful exuberance and those with managers who have seen what it is like to fight a rearguard action in this division.

Probably the ones with the more established teams used to playing together, with adequate cover for injuries, the teams with a the best blend of experienced older heads blended with youthful exuberance and those with managers who have seen what it is like to fight a rearguard action in this division.

I guess then you don't actually know the answer, but based on absolutely no evidence are prepared to accept that other teams have a better blend of experience and youthful enthusiasm than "your" team. Why be so damning of Saints?

I would certainly have Baird and Svennson as opposed to Svennson and Davies

Baird and Svensson are similar - no nonsense, get stuck in, hard working CBs.

Davies is more a Lundekvam type player - he has control, he sweeps up, he's calm. You need the balance.

(In case it's not clear, I would choose Davies over Baird 10 times out of 10).

Davies is a lot better CB than Baird. I can understand having to sell him and him wanting to go but 1.5m if true is a joke, he is worth 4m if Baird is worth 3m.

Baird wasn't worth £3m, as amply demonstrated last year. Thank goodness for Lawrie Sanchez. I'd have Baird back tho.

Would be absolutely gutted if true, but £1.5 million for an injury prone defender? It shows what a sorry state of affairs we're in, but unfortunately it is the most viable option for the club.

Wonder if it still means Thomas is available?

You're a veritable ray of sunshine aren't you Alpine? I don't know why you bother getting up in the mornings! Moan, moan, bloody moan that's all that's ever heard!

Not a word on how encouraging it is to see the team start to gel and look to play attractive, attacking football.

I really do wonder why some posters on here realy do seem to want the team to do badly in order that it fits their agenda.

It's hardly a wonder no-one posts on here any more!

Why on earth would I want Saints to do badly ? Preposterous.

I just think that as things stand, this season they will do badly.

And the only agenda I have is that I wait for the day that SFC is Lowe- and Wilde-free, and back under private ownership..

Would be absolutely gutted if true, but £1.5 million for an injury prone defender? It shows what a sorry state of affairs we're in, but unfortunately it is the most viable option for the club.

Wonder if it still means Thomas is available?

If we sell both we truely are insane. We will not survive with Perry/Svensson/Lancashire/youth players.

I CANNOT believe even Lowe and co would be stupid enough to sell Davies. As you can see from my avatar I am a Svennson fan and I am praying his knee will hold out but our replacements are Perry and Thomas and hopefully later in the season Ollie Lancashire. This is not going to cut it in the Championship where you need dominant defences in an ordinary side whereas we have a group of younger players that we hope will come good.

The newsappears to be only on this particular crap website Tribal Football and so I hope it is just a fabrication. Time will tell.

It's one line in a transfer speculation column that has been picked up from Vital Football. The column is only written by a staff reporter. If it was NOTW we'd be laughing.

BUT

If it IS true then it shows we really ARE in trouble, both on the pitch and financially.

The ONLY possible hope is, after a dodgy start, Alan Bennet came good on loan and many would have had him back.

Maybe we are jumping the gun slightly and once agan assuming that everybody else on the planet has a brain the size of a peanut and cannot work out for themselves that we need cover from the loan market. We do that a lot these days.

Two things have happened over the close season. One of them is OUR fault - we didn't buy enough season tickets.

Then secondly we know the club had a bad finance situation, we then had what 3 months of no income, and we had high earners back from loan, but the transfer market itself has been hit by concerns about the global economy, clubs are not spending as much as they did or able to borrow money this season (I posted a link to a Telegraph article before)

Having slept on it, maybe we really don't have a choice, the position that was inherited, mixed with the slow down and evaporation of our ST holding base. It could just be the Perfect Storm.

Europe is fast becoming a basket case financially and people like Hertha Belrin may also be feeling the pinch and we left with even MORE of a legacy of our stupidity in buying players on big long contracts who weren't good enough for money we couldn't afford.

Alps may be right, we could be more fooked than we thought, and there are 3 groups to blame.

The Mis-Directors of the past 4 years, the ST renewals and the bl**dy yanks for starting the whole recession.

One thing I do know, if we are this screwed, no amount of IF ONLY's or Blame Game will solve it, unfortunately only major surgery

I reckon Chapel End Charlie summed it up nicely earlier - basically we haven't clawed back enough in sales over the past few months to keep the bank happy.

Sad to see him go if it happens as I thought he would have been the ideal captain.

At the back of my mind I can't help thinking that perhaps the relatively low price reflects that he may be damaged goods, and Stoke are paying this expecting only 20 games a season out of him.

Losing Davies would be a massive loss. Unlike Rasiak, Davies would fit in very well to our current system.

Not only is he excellent at winning the ball, both in the air and on the deck, but his passing is good and he is effective at bringing the ball out of defence - all qualities that fit in with the 'pass, not hoof' method of moving the ball up the pitch.

If he goes, we're fairly screwed IMO

Selling Davies will lead to relegation imho as there is no way Svennson will play 40+ games this season.Hope we will get some good news on loans/takeover just something to raise our spirits as our kids will play well get close to most sides but always eventually lose and we will finish 24th by a mile.At least we have got the olympics to forget about Saints.The bad news it used to hurt every time Saints lost and now I'm reaching the dont care stage.

I realise I'm not helping Saints but why waste my money on a no hope side

just posted on other one as we have two running for some reason..

On the radio JP confirmed that his agent is in talks with Stoke and said it was out of his hands as the player wants to leave and has asked to.

Presenter said he believed it was a clause in his contract.

Although want him to stay be wary after recent false posts of slagging club/board off until we know the facts please.

just posted on other one as we have two running for some reason..

On the radio JP confirmed that his agent is in talks with Stoke and said it was out of his hands as the player wants to leave and has asked to.

Presenter said he believed it was a clause in his contract.

Although want him to stay be wary after recent false posts of slagging club/board off until we know the facts please.

You just carry on clutching at straws.

and I was pleasant to you on the Killer's knee thread!

why is a manager's direct quote and repeating a sports reporters knowledge clutching at straws -as opposed to your in depth and involved knowledge??

Even if Davies has decided himself he wants away, the bottom line is he sees no attraction in staying at a club he was happy to fight for just a few months ago - further evidence as to how truly f**ked this club is.

Even if Davies has decided himself he wants away, the bottom line is he sees no attraction in staying at a club he was happy to fight for just a few months ago - further evidence as to how truly f**ked this club is.
Ahh so a player gets the chance to play in the PL for higher wages,is leaving because of SFC.

Your constant agenda to unsettle teh fanbase goes on.

What part of skint do you not understand when talking about Saints. AD is a good defender but how many games did he miss due to injury last season? To get 1.5m is just 5 weeks of losses. Tell us how the club can generate that kind of money?

Total rubbish. He has been offered the opportunity to further his career by playing in the PL and will probably have doubled his wages. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play for Saints.

LOL. Talk about paranoia
Paranoia is when you imagine something.You fail to put up anything positive,you cant wait to bang away at the computer with your negative vibes.I know things are not rosy after 2games but there is no option but give the kids support and see what happens.

The football was very good and had Stern scored we would have a much different mood on here.

when he agreed to join we had just missed out on promotion to the premiership. A season later he can see we are a million miles from the Prem and look likely relegation candidates. From his point of view I can see why he would want out.

when he agreed to join we had just missed out on promotion to the premiership. A season later he can see we are a million miles from the Prem and look likely relegation candidates. From his point of view I can see why he would want out.

Actually, when he joined we were right down the bottom of the Championship - he came on loan well after the actual transfer window was shut.

Ahh so a player gets the chance to play in the PL for higher wages,is leaving because of SFC.

Your constant agenda to unsettle teh fanbase goes on.

What part of skint do you not understand when talking about Saints. AD is a good defender but how many games did he miss due to injury last season? To get 1.5m is just 5 weeks of losses. Tell us how the club can generate that kind of money?

This club is not losing £15,000,000 a year.