Can we finish higher than eighth in the 2017-18 season?

SaintJackoInHurworth

FFS are you still going on about Puel? He has gone..the club decided he was ****e and sacked him....are you hoping he is coming back?

I see he has been linked with all the vacant jobs,..NOT.. No other club in England will have him.

I didn't even mention him in the post you quoted.

I'll stick my neck out, I have a strong feeling that we're going to be top 4 and\or grab a cup. Just think that our squad is getting stronger and we have the infrastructure in place to give us the edge we need, an introverted team mentality, the unreleased fee amounts, the closed door negotiations, the professionalism in which we do things, the focus on youth, training and our way of playing. I just have a feeling that it is going to come together this season for us in a big way. Cannot wait for this coming season to begin and Gallagher gets a hattrick and we keep a clean sheet with VvD and Stephens in defense in the first game oft he season. This is a great club, through thick and thin, I'm proud to be a Saint!

I'll stick my neck out, I have a strong feeling that we're going to be top 4 and\or grab a cup. Just think that our squad is getting stronger and we have the infrastructure in place to give us the edge we need, an introverted team mentality, the unreleased fee amounts, the closed door negotiations, the professionalism in which we do things, the focus on youth, training and our way of playing. I just have a feeling that it is going to come together this season for us in a big way. Cannot wait for this coming season to begin and Gallagher gets a hattrick and we keep a clean sheet with VvD and Stephens in defense in the first game oft he season. This is a great club, through thick and thin, I'm proud to be a Saint!

# klaxon #

"Calling all members of the Saintsweb anti-positivity squad to the main board immediately."

# klaxon #

# klaxon #

"Calling all members of the Saintsweb anti-positivity squad to the main board immediately."

# klaxon #

If we get our act together and get VvD and Romeu decent partners, I reckon we could push Everton for 7th. Missing Lukakus goals as well as a Europa schedule, 7th is up for grabs!

Jeez. If Everton is our benchmark we've slipped a bit. They will do well to replicate last season even with RK. We should be looking at the top four clubs and pouncing on one of those places if one of them slips up and has an uncharacteristically poor season.

If we get our act together and get VvD and Romeu decent partners, I reckon we could push Everton for 7th. Missing Lukakus goals as well as a Europa schedule, 7th is up for grabs!

Jeez. If Everton is our benchmark we've slipped a bit. They will do well to replicate last season even with RK. We should be looking at the top four clubs and pouncing on one of those places if one of them slips up and has an uncharacteristically poor season.

To be top 4 wouldn't we need 4 of the top 7 to have uncharacteristically poor seasons?

Doesn't seem like its a recipe for guaranteed success

To be top 4 wouldn't we need 4 of the top 7 to have uncharacteristically poor seasons?

Doesn't seem like its a recipe for guaranteed success

I'd imagine that last year's top 7 will be the top 7 again.

Sure, it's possible that one or two of them will implode, but far from likely.

I'm more interested in targeting a points total than a position. I'd hope for 60 points, which would be a very big improvement, although probably not enough to climb into the top 7.

I'd imagine that last year's top 7 will be the top 7 again.

Sure, it's possible that one or two of them will implode, but far from likely.

I'm more interested in targeting a points total than a position. I'd hope for 60 points, which would be a very big improvement, although probably not enough to climb into the top 7.

If Everton are our benchmark, we've slipped behind them quite a bit. They have spent huge sums of money on superior players to what they already have (probably spending the ££££ they will get for Barkley and Lukaku)

A few years ago, the top four was nailed on, just depended on what order. Now we are approaching a situation where the top 7 could be nailed on. Any other team gets investment, the starts spending the huge sums of money available, they will then make it a top 8...etc.

The rest of the teams will be in a relegation scrap, do well in your relegation scrap, and you may end up 10th....do badly, and you're down.

If Everton are our benchmark, we've slipped behind them quite a bit. They have spent huge sums of money on superior players to what they already have (probably spending the ££££ they will get for Barkley and Lukaku)

A few years ago, the top four was nailed on, just depended on what order. Now we are approaching a situation where the top 7 could be nailed on. Any other team gets investment, the starts spending the huge sums of money available, they will then make it a top 8...etc.

The rest of the teams will be in a relegation scrap, do well in your relegation scrap, and you may end up 10th....do badly, and you're down.

The Everton squad was well below ours in terms of quality just 12 months ago.

We then sold Pelle, Wanyama and Mane and lost Koeman.

Over the past 12 months they have signed Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Williams, Lookman, Gueye, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Ramirez and Onyekuru. Thats a fantastic list of additions offering a mix of youth, experience and proven talent.

In the same period we have signed Bednarek, Boufal, Gabbi, Hojberg and Redmond.

Really hoping Puel was an affect of player form but that's not great additions compared to Everton

The Everton squad was well below ours in terms of quality just 12 months ago.

We then sold Pelle, Wanyama and Mane and lost Koeman.

Over the past 12 months they have signed Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Williams, Lookman, Gueye, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Ramirez and Onyekuru. Thats a fantastic list of additions offering a mix of youth, experience and proven talent.

In the same period we have signed Bednarek, Boufal, Gabbi, Hojberg and Redmond.

Really hoping Puel was an affect of player form but that's not great additions compared to Everton

Talk of top 4 is bordering on delusional. Our wages budget is one third of the top 4 and below Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland and WBA. Anything above 13th is out performing.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Agreed. The wages paid in 2013 will definitely impact us in 2017

I think we are now 8th in the wage table

Talk of top 4 is bordering on delusional. Our wages budget is one third of the top 4 and below Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland and WBA. Anything above 13th is out performing.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Agreed. The wages paid in 2013 will definitely impact us in 2017

I think we are now 8th in the wage table

Yes I saw that and thought, hmmmm... that's exactly why RK left us. He's basically playing football manager with someone else money - not something he would have been allowed to do here. Two points though - one is that buying superior players at Everton isn't that difficult (Barclay and Lukaku aside) and two, spending £100m+ really gives you no more chance of success than our (comparative) budget buys. The trouble for RK is that spending that sort of money raises fans (and boards) expectations astronomically and unless he delivers a vast improvement on last seasons 7th place, he could be in trouble. It really depends how all these new signings gel into the team. I can remember getting similarly excited when we signed 5 relatively high profile players (Beresford, Ripley, Hughes, Hiley and Howells) - plus an upcoming Scott Marshall at the start of one of our more disastrous seasons.

Contrast that with what looks to be one of our most stable summers in living memory, I am more than happy to be borderline delusional ;-)

Yes I saw that and thought, hmmmm... that's exactly why RK left us. He's basically playing football manager with someone else money - not something he would have been allowed to do here. Two points though - one is that buying superior players at Everton isn't that difficult (Barclay and Lukaku aside) and two, spending £100m+ really gives you no more chance of success than our (comparative) budget buys. The trouble for RK is that spending that sort of money raises fans (and boards) expectations astronomically and unless he delivers a vast improvement on last seasons 7th place, he could be in trouble. It really depends how all these new signings gel into the team. I can remember getting similarly excited when we signed 5 relatively high profile players (Beresford, Ripley, Hughes, Hiley and Howells) - plus an upcoming Scott Marshall at the start of one of our more disastrous seasons.

Contrast that with what looks to be one of our most stable summers in living memory, I am more than happy to be borderline delusional ;-)

that's exactly why RK left us. He's basically playing football manager with someone else money - not something he would have been allowed to do here.

We do spend money - lots of it. In fact (according to the latest financials) we've spent more than we have received.

Everton have spent the Stones + incoming Lukaku and Barkley money well. They have basically swapped those 3 for Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Williams, Lookman, Gueye, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Ramirez and Onyekuru

We have made some decent signings (VVD, Mane, Bertrand ect) but we have also wasted a whole heap of the £££s recieved - Boufal, Hojberg, Redmond, Clasie, Juanmi, Long, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Ramirez - that's £120m+ plus circa £60m in wages

that's exactly why RK left us. He's basically playing football manager with someone else money - not something he would have been allowed to do here.

We do spend money - lots of it. In fact (according to the latest financials) we've spent more than we have received.

Everton have spent the Stones + incoming Lukaku and Barkley money well. They have basically swapped those 3 for Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Williams, Lookman, Gueye, Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Ramirez and Onyekuru

We have made some decent signings (VVD, Mane, Bertrand ect) but we have also wasted a whole heap of the £££s recieved - Boufal, Hojberg, Redmond, Clasie, Juanmi, Long, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Ramirez - that's £120m+ plus circa £60m in wages

I think what is brilliant is the way the Everton haven't wasted a single penny on a single poor value player in the five years since we signed Gaston Ramirez in the summer of 2012. Such a well run club.

I think what is brilliant is the way the Everton haven't wasted a single penny on a single poor value player in the five years since we signed Gaston Ramirez in the summer of 2012. Such a well run club.

Quite awesome isn't it? Their spending of £15m on Omar Niasse before shunting him out on loan to Hull was terrfic business. When we did the same with Gaston it was just plain shameful. I blame Les. He simply must make us more like Everton.

Quite awesome isn't it? Their spending of £15m on Omar Niasse before shunting him out on loan to Hull was terrfic business. When we did the same with Gaston it was just plain shameful. I blame Les. He simply must make us more like Everton.

But in the same breath, they got Cleverley on a free and sold him for £8m the other week.

But in the same breath, they got Cleverley on a free and sold him for £8m the other week.