Jose Fonte

spyinthesky

On 29/07/2020 at 16:50, Saint86 said:

Really? Fonte wanted a contract extension to see him through to retirement at the club. He also asked for a pay rise to match his expectations as a European champion. Its been made clear by several parties that he wasn't demanding the earth, or even near the club's top earners.

In response, the club (Les Read et al) falsely leaked that he had handed in a transfer request and forced him out of the club. He didn't want to leave the club but he even ended up on a reduced wage at a club he didn't want to be at. Yeah, he could have handled himself a bit better and obviously regrets it now. But the bloke should frankly be a club hero. You are living in a parallel universe to me if you think someone who could arguably have gone on the banner should be held in the same disdain as Llama boy and Lovren.

At the end of the day, Rickie Lambert is loved by the fans despite being one of the first ones out the door to join Liverpool and get some more Wonga for his retirement. Fonte wanted to stay at the club and asked for a pay rise (to match his perceived ability) and a contract extension to see out his career at the club.... I mean, who doesn't ask for a payrise when they've done well at work... he didn't ask to leave but he was deceitfully forced out of the club anyway. At the very least, those two players should be viewed in a very similar way by the fans.... and none of us begrudge Rickie do we? 

Its sad that some of our fans have this level of disdain towards Fonte. He was a pivotal club servant who moved down a division to join saints, scored the crucial winning goal at Brighton, and who stayed with us for years becoming club captain. :mcinnes:

He was a player who lived and breathed Saints whilst he was here and obviously still cares for the club.

Spot on. Club legend with a slightly unfortunate ending, but overall nothing but great memories of Jose

Cheers for the great photo too

Edited by niceandfriendly

On 29/07/2020 at 09:50, Saint86 said:

Really? Fonte wanted a contract extension to see him through to retirement at the club. He also asked for a pay rise to match his expectations as a European champion. Its been made clear by several parties that he wasn't demanding the earth, or even near the club's top earners.

In response, the club (Les Read et al) falsely leaked that he had handed in a transfer request and forced him out of the club. He didn't want to leave the club but he even ended up on a reduced wage at a club he didn't want to be at. Yeah, he could have handled himself a bit better and obviously regrets it now. But the bloke should frankly be a club hero. You are living in a parallel universe to me if you think someone who could arguably have gone on the banner should be held in the same disdain as Llama boy and Lovren.

At the end of the day, Rickie Lambert is loved by the fans despite being one of the first ones out the door to join Liverpool and get some more Wonga for his retirement. Fonte wanted to stay at the club and asked for a pay rise (to match his perceived ability) and a contract extension to see out his career at the club.... I mean, who doesn't ask for a payrise when they've done well at work... he didn't ask to leave but he was deceitfully forced out of the club anyway. At the very least, those two players should be viewed in a very similar way by the fans.... and none of us begrudge Rickie do we? 

Its sad that some of our fans have this level of disdain towards Fonte. He was a pivotal club servant who moved down a division to join saints, scored the crucial winning goal at Brighton, and who stayed with us for years becoming club captain. :mcinnes:

He was a player who lived and breathed Saints whilst he was here and obviously still cares for the club.

This has all been covered before but you can't force a player under contract out of the club, hence we're stuck with Forster, Moi etc. Fonte wanted a bigger contract after winning Euro 2016 and we were only willing to give him a year, so he left for a bigger contract at West Ham. If he wanted to stay, he would have and he certainly wouldn't have done an interview saying he wanted to be nearer his family in London.

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This has all been covered before but you can't force a player under contract out of the club, hence we're stuck with Forster, Moi etc. Fonte wanted a bigger contract after winning Euro 2016 and we were only willing to give him a year, so he left for a bigger contract at West Ham. If he wanted to stay, he would have and he certainly wouldn't have done an interview saying he wanted to be nearer his family in London.

Accurate ish. He wanted to play, and to play for a few years. The contract we offered didn't offer him that opportunity. He was in a position to get more from other clubs than we were willing to offer him. That's completely different to Forster and Moi and I'm not sure how you can put them in the Fonte bracket. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Accurate ish. He wanted to play, and to play for a few years. The contract we offered didn't offer him that opportunity. He was in a position to get more from other clubs than we were willing to offer him. That's completely different to Forster and Moi and I'm not sure how you can put them in the Fonte bracket. 

I know they’re different scenarios, the point was quite simply that you can’t force a player to take a pay cut and sign for another club under any circumstances I can think of.

3 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Would anyone take Fonte back as 4th choice CB

yes he is 36+
but chdajfu

could he be a part time coach/ good match day influence?

Absolutely not. That would be a waste of wages really.

The club got it wrong in the sense of not replacing him when they sold him, but I think they sold him at the right point. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

You don't switch agents to Jorge Mendes just before leaving if you want to stay.

But it's exactly what you do if you know that you're not wanted, even if you want to stay. Fonte was pushed out by Reed, who was trying to build everything around VvD including making him captain. Stupidity from Reed, I certainly don't have any negative views of JF, think he was a victim and was treated appallingly by Reed.

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

But it's exactly what you do if you know that you're not wanted, even if you want to stay. Fonte was pushed out by Reed, who was trying to build everything around VvD including making him captain. Stupidity from Reed, I certainly don't have any negative views of JF, think he was a victim and was treated appallingly by Reed.

If true, that was rather silly; Blind Freddie could see that VvD was going to the very top of the tree.

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Still yet to see any credible explanation as to how that’s even possible.

8 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Yep, add me to that argument.   You can never compare the departures of Fonte and Sir Ricky with the low tactics of Lovren and Lallana.       Fonte was shabbily treated by old Les, and then not replaced in a long line of bad decisions the Club made under Reed and the Canadian Hockey coach whose name escapes me.

As I remember Fonte had a recent new deal , after the Euros he wanted a better longer deal, then it all went downhill and ended up at West Ham . That was going to be the fate of Sir Rickie as well in the Jan window but that didn't happen at the last minute so he got his move to his dream team .