Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting comment in here from Burnley's new Chairman...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9107001/They-big-ambitions-transforming-club-ALK-Capital-bought-Burnley.html

The academy is fundamental. 'This should be an aspirational place,' says Pace. 'We need to try to become the home of English players coming through up here.

Look at Southampton, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what they did with their academy. Yet over the last five years, under the current owner, they have destroyed that.

--------

Wonder if the above is now largely the prevailing view?

Barely any representation amongst Eng youth squads and very poor results would suggest its not far off being true.

30 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Interesting comment in here from Burnley's new Chairman...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9107001/They-big-ambitions-transforming-club-ALK-Capital-bought-Burnley.html

The academy is fundamental. 'This should be an aspirational place,' says Pace. 'We need to try to become the home of English players coming through up here.

Look at Southampton, we have a tremendous amount of respect for what they did with their academy. Yet over the last five years, under the current owner, they have destroyed that.

--------

Wonder if the above is now largely the prevailing view?

Barely any representation amongst Eng youth squads and very poor results would suggest its not far off being true.

"Under the current owner, they have destroyed that"

A tad harsh I would advocate... 

I would suggest the relative demise of our academy output over the last c.5 years has been more down to poor 'shop floor' management rather than down to the ownership, per se. (Although, granted, it's the ownership that ultimately determines the club's management structure at the end of the day).

I'm convinced that Ralph, in conjunction with our boardroom, have reignited the academy flame over the last c.12 months, so here's hoping that the new Burnley owners are somewhat behind the curve with their analysis....

Edited by trousers

It’s fair comment - we haven’t produced anything in the last 5 years and talent looks sparse and not improving., Ralph obviously likes working with young players but his actions speak volumes on his opinions of our youth. Hopefully with new structure we’ll see talent coming through again  in 2-3 years. We’ve had a look in the 1st team at the best we’ve produced ( Tella, N’dulu, Obafemi, Vokins, Smallbone, Valery, Ramsey) and none of them look prem quality (in fact I’d say they are more league 1 level) which has been a big reason (along with some poor transfers we are still working through) why our squad outside c 15 players is so poor. I remember Ross bigging himself up on his policy on buying in great young players like Valery - but in reality it’s been a really poor period, and clearly our competitors have noticed this too and will use it to try and pry top talent away from our set up.

12 hours ago, trousers said:

I'm convinced that Ralph, in conjunction with our boardroom, have reignited the academy flame over the last c.12 months, so here's hoping that the new Burnley owners are somewhat behind the curve with their analysis....

I would suggest this was why Matt Crocker was brought in. I don't think the Burnley comments are too wide of the mark, though a little harsh. The last 5 or 6 years the Academy, at the top end at least has been really disappointing. Think there are signs of good talent coming through now at the U18s level, but many of our better young players recently have been recruited from other clubs, not home grown (or Bath satellite, if it still exists). Players we have developed also don't necessarily fit Ralph's style, and that is difficult to solve in the short term. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vince said:

There’s a good article on the alignment between the B team and the first team here for those that are interested in that sort of thing.....https://trainingground.guru

If anyone is mega lazy, here's the direct link to Vince's post: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 'B' Team