Football Post Lockdown

spyinthesky

Whats the general opinion on attendances when (at some time in the far distance!!) life goes back to normal?

After WW2 people were crazy for live events and all football grounds were crammed.

I wonder if it will be the same post Covid or will people have found other interests to follow and there will be plenty of empty spaces in some grounds?

I must admit, as a long term season ticket holder, I am not missing my fortnightly visits to St Mary's but this is probably due to the turgid home performances post the Koeman era.

Personally I think this will have an affect on the age demographic we see within stadiums when crowds are allowed to return.

I suspect older fans may stay away at first until their confidence in returning to mass events grows, however i suspect that younger fans will be desperate to get back and we may see an up take in casual fans watching games as people enjoy being free to experience things with out restrictions

32 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Whats the general opinion on attendances when (at some time in the far distance!!) life goes back to normal?

After WW2 people were crazy for live events and all football grounds were crammed.

I wonder if it will be the same post Covid or will people have found other interests to follow and there will be plenty of empty spaces in some grounds?

I must admit, as a long term season ticket holder, I am not missing my fortnightly visits to St Mary's but this is probably due to the turgid home performances post the Koeman era.

I’m missing my fortnightly beer with the lads

I think the big difference in the comparison with the war (in football terms) is the games are on TV. After the war no football had been watched, whereas now we’re still seeing it. In my opinion a lot of people will have found other stuff to do and may not return. My nipper is 20 & plays a half decent level, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching him the past 4 weeks and then having a couple of noggins in the bar afterwards. Saturday will be perfect, watch him, beer, then home to watch saints. At the moment I’m gagging to get  back to St Mary’s, but who knows how I’ll feel come March 2021 if I continue to enjoy local games involving my kid? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I think the crowds will come back big time as soon as the law allows. Not because 100% of fans are keen to go and watch a match live, but because 50% are totally desperate to. I'm in the "can't wait to get back" camp. Totally get others are in the "not until there is a vaccine" camp. But the "can't wait camp" will be enough to fill grounds.

Edited by SaintBobby