First game at The Dell

kwsaint

31 minutes ago, ulstersaint1980 said:

Why did your dad do that, then?

Its what Dad's did. To be fair he never took much interest in footy after he left the Navy which was a year or two earlier, think he used to go to Nottarf Krap with his mates when he was younger, probably either side of the War. Most of my Mum's family (on the Isle of Wight) were Pompey supporters although one or two would go to Pompey one week and Saints the next. Dad actually came from Burley in the New Forest and his grandparents lived in Newtown (Bullar Street) just over from St Mary's (his Grandad was landlord at the Antelope Hotel when Saints played at the Antelope Ground in the 1890s) so there was actually good reason for him to be a Saints supporter, but I guess he hooked up with the Skates because he lived and worked there from when he was 15.

League Cup 2nd Round 4 September 1968 - Home V Crewe Alexandra - W3-1 after going 0-1 down in the first half. I was very worried before the game as my hero at the time Ron Davies was an injury doubt but he played - didn't score. Goals from Frank Saul (2) and a young Mick Channon.

Finished 8th in the league that year with John McGrath and Terry Paine playing every game - a lifetime support began!

1 hour ago, Paul.Studio said:

League Cup 2nd Round 4 September 1968 - Home V Crewe Alexandra - W3-1 after going 0-1 down in the first half. I was very worried before the game as my hero at the time Ron Davies was an injury doubt but he played - didn't score. Goals from Frank Saul (2) and a young Mick Channon.

Finished 8th in the league that year with John McGrath and Terry Paine playing every game - a lifetime support began!

Forgot to add - Uncle who had season ticket lived in Bursledon at the time - talking football in the car with 2 of his neighbours to and from the game across the floating bridge - No Itchen bridge then!

1 hour ago, de-Griz said:

1964 Preston North end . We won They were in FA cup fial I think that year also was one of Stan Mathews last gamw think he was late 40s or early 50s

That would have been Stoke if Stan Matthews was playing. He would have been 49 and from what little I remember he seemed disinterested. Maybe a couple of tough tackles had put him off!

4 hours ago, Gru said:

With a school mate in the chocolate box, '63-'64 season. Don't recall opposition or score. 

Abiding memory is brunch in Owen Owen - those were the days!

Before I'm MLG'd it was Edwin Jones. We were from the sticks and that store was pretty impressive.

We also visited Toomer's and paid homage to replica kit we could never afford or expect to own.

My first game was back in 1987, a 2-2 draw against man utd with Danny Wallace scoring both for saints (Norman Whiteside got both their goals). I remember being spellbound as walked out on to the milton rd terrace and saw the hallowed turf for the first time-I was instantly hooked!

13 hours ago, moonraker said:

67 - 68 v Wolves, 1-1 big Ron getting the equaliser 

Was at that game Eric had dropped one in from a corner- Sydenham crossed from way out to Big Ron diving header edge of penalty box a brilliant goal.

I can’t remember my first game but was around 64-65 my auntie lived in Milton Rd .

Reserves one week the firsts the next with uncle and cousin after my dad rode us on his bike.

My first away at Skates 67 we won 5-2 Norman Dean hat trick sat in their stands amongst them as you could then.

First game, Dellhurst Park great escape in May 99.

First game at The Dell, Real Sociedad pre season in 2000.

I was apparently obsessed with the crowd and barely watched what was going on on the pitch. We were in the east upper for all games after that and I’d nag that I wanted to sit at the top of the Milton and look down on everyone else. In the weeks before demolition my old man took me down to the ground a few times with a packed lunch and we were allowed in to sit and have a run about in the stands.

Always grateful I was taken there and I feel for anyone that missed out. My Dad still says a part of the club died for him when we moved. 

V Liverpool '81 or '82. 2 nil down inside first 20 minutes, think it was still 0-2 at half time. Won 3-2 Danny Wallace was on fire and Holmes scored an outrageous half volley from near half way line for the winner. An utterly superb game which gave me an unrealistic expectation that it would always that good going to the footy.............

1 hour ago, West Stand said:

On reflection I think it was Sheffield Wednesday!

Well, as it was 75 years ago  I guess you could be forgiven.  👍

Your 1946 looks like it holds the record for the earliest memories of the Dell on this thread then and I thought my 1964 visit made me an old timer. Lol

Edited by 64saint

4 hours ago, 64saint said:

Well, as it was 75 years ago  I guess you could be forgiven.  👍

Your 1946 looks like it holds the record for the earliest memories of the Dell on this thread then and I thought my 1964 visit made me an old timer. Lol

Indeed.  Checking my copy of "In That Number", it would probably have been Sheffield Wednesday that West Stand saw as they were in Division 2 with Saints that year.  If it was them, the home game against them in the 1946/47 season was actually played on 19 Apr 1947 and Saints won 3-1 with 2 goals from Jack Bradley and 1 from Don Roper.  Bradley also missed a penalty.

Early 90's in the Archers so got the full experience. Can't remember which team but it was someone crap like Middlesbrough and we won. 
Memorable for the racist abuse of one of their black players - a song about having a malteser on his head which was a little uncomfortable as I hadn't experienced anything like that before . Remember Baddiel and Skinner were making a career out of it at the time with their mockery of Jason Lee so nothing beyond the pale. Obviously wouldn't be tolerated these days and would probably make the news.

Also stupid WW2 aeroplanes - i guess one of their players was a German.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and need to get in the loft to find the programme.

Bristol City, 1977. 2 nil to Phil Boyer, Phil Boyer, 1st divisions top scorer.... My interest was sparked by a previous cup game against Leeds at the Dell which I didn't attend. For the first time in my life I could hear the roar of the crowd from my house in Bitterne Park and see the glow of the lights. I enjoyed the Bristol City Game, watching Boyer hanging in the air for five or so minutes to get purchase on the header, but what hooked me was a subsequent game against  against WBA in the late rounds of the FA cup. For those that weren't around to hear the atmosphere on a cup night, at the all standing in the lower tiers, 30,000 capacity Dell, you really missed something that will never be repeated. WBA were something back then, Ron Atkinson as manager, players including Brian Robson, Cyril Regis, Lawrie Cunningham (RIP), (both amazing physical specimens), Derek Statham etc. Always had a soft spot for them since.

Them were the days!