First game at The Dell

kwsaint

It's 50 years ago tomorrow that I saw my first game at the Dell.  A 2-1 win against Stoke.  Can't remember much about the game, other than Gordon Banks was playing in goal for Stoke, and Ron Davies scored for Saints.  I couldn't get over just how high Ron Davies could jump.

What are your earliest memories of games at the Dell?

1979 League Cup Semi Final at home to Leeds.  My late Dads mate was running the line that night and had got my Dad complimentary tickets.  We were stood in the car park waiting for ages for him to come out and give them to us - 5 minutes before kick off, out he comes, in full Lino kit, running across the car park, shoved the tickets in my Dads hand and legged it back again!  Funnily enough, I was having a tidy up and found the programme last weekend with his signature and Clive Thomas's on the back and my hand written "1-0 Curran" in the scores box.  

Load of ruddy juniors the lot of you !    27th December 1949.   Played against Luton.   As you used to in those days we had played them away the day before, so many of these games became ‘retribution’.  That’s why the practice was stopped.   
Don’t remember much about the game as I was 5 years old, and watched it sat on my uncle’s shoulders.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm really sad that I can't remember my first game at The Dell.  My Dad started taking me to reserve games at the Dell c.1986 (as he was a ST holder and therefore could get us both in for free) I think he wanted to see if I showed any interest, before taking me to 1st team games.  (As a ST holder 35 years later, I clearly did show an interest).  They used to open the top tier of the west stand and there were probably a hundred or so fans there for each game (if my memory serves me right, which it may not, as I was only 7 ot 8 at the time).  I do recall there was a young lad called Le Tissier that would often get a run out in the resrves around that time.

At some point my Dad must have started taking me to the first team games, but I can't for the life of me recall which game was my first, which is a shame.

What I do recall (bits of) is my first away game, we were visiting my uncle, auntie and cousins in Oxfordshire, which just happened to coincide with Saints playing Oxford United at the Manor Ground.  I remember being on the sparsly populated concrete open terrace, with a small band of travelling saints fans, plenty of room to run around and swing from the crush barriers (plus the big perimeter fences in the pre-Hillsborough days).  I just can't remember the score, so I'm unsure exactly which season that was, but it must have been either 86 or 87...   

My first game at the Dell - autumn 1959, versus Swindon Town. Sun was shining, Saints were on fire, and I just remember the sense of fun and happiness in the crowd. I don't remember the exact score, but I think Derek Reeves may have got a hat-trick, and Terry Paine was the real deal that day. Been a fan ever since.

Jan 1980 a 4-1 win vs Man City. Just looked up the scorers on that day. Moran, Channon, Watson and Ball. What a great first game to attend. I don't remember too much but have this recollection that it was really cold and the crowd were stamping their feet to keep warm and generate noise at the same time.

1958 I think, a 5-0 win over Plymouth Argyle in the old 3rd Division (South). Stood in the crowd at the Milton end so only had a limited view of the game. All I can remember as a 10 year old is John Page trapping a high ball with his thigh and thinking that must have hurt! Happy days.

1980 versus Vancouver Whitecaps. I've still got the pink programme somewhere. I think Alan Ball and David Harvey played for Whitecaps, and when I last saw the programme I noticed Bruce Grobbelar and Ray Lewington were in the squad. I think I also remember Jimmy Greaves in the Saints team, I don't know how that came about, or if it even happened,  but I think he is also in the team list. One thing that definitely happened was the 35 yard shootout that the American league used, to ensure there were no drawn matches. 

I was in the west  stand, on the benches with my Dad and his mate. Dad's mate used to take me to a lot of games after that, still a Saints fan, but living Portsmouth way, sadly now fighting cancer. I don't remember Dad going to another until 2010, when he suddenly announced he was getting a season ticket so he could come along with myself and my sons. He hasn't missed a home match since (covid excepting).

2 hours ago, Hatch said:

16th October 1976

Southampton 1  (N.Holmes)   Hereford 0 

Terry Paine was playing for Hereford

I few years earlier we went on a school trip to WHL , arrived in coach park and watched Terry Paine and co get off their coach ! excitement , we lost 5-3 but were coming back strongly and if we had another 10 mins .....  stopped for cockles and other strange thinks on the way home !

Edited by East Kent Saint

Nov 10th 1990 - I was 9 and it was a birthday treat.  

It was a night game and we beat QPR 3-1.  I think we pretty much played 4 up front in those days! Rideout, Le Tiss, Rod Wallace and Shearer.   

In some respects its been mostly stress and grief ever since but wouldn't change it for the world obviously.

25 April 1987, Southampton 2-2 Charlton Athletic.

Jim Melrose put Charlton one up in the first half. Saints hit back in the second half with a Kevin Bond header and a George Lawrence (who the old lags around me kept calling Chicken, for reasons I was unaware of at the time) goal which would be a Peter Shirtliff OG these days with the dubious goals committee.

And then some 17 year old kid who would never be heard of again came off the bench and headed a late equaliser for Charlton. Robert Lee. It was the only goal I saw up close in the Milton Road Stand, as all the rest of the action took place at the other end.

A fair result, and a nice day out - although Peter Shilton was my hero as a kid and I was disappointed he was injured and Tim Flowers played instead. And then he left that summer, so I never did get to see him play for Saints in the flesh. But I saw him play for Derby, so I guess it all worked out. Wasn't missing much...

Pre-season friendly 1969 beating Dundee 5-0.

Following weekend for the first league game. Home to West Brom. Was expecting something from Saints after the previous week, as a child you assume it would be like that regularly. Soon realised. Lost 2-0. Pissed with rain throughout the match and on the way home. 

Week or so after Saints beat ManUtd at Old Trafford 4-1, with Ron Davies scoring all four. Didn't go to the game and could barely believe the score when told. Further emphasised that following Saints would be a roller coaster.

Thought that was longstanding, but well done to those who followed from earlier in the 60's and before.

Edited by Badger

4 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Jan 1980 a 4-1 win vs Man City. Just looked up the scorers on that day. Moran, Channon, Watson and Ball. What a great first game to attend. I don't remember too much but have this recollection that it was really cold and the crowd were stamping their feet to keep warm and generate noise at the same time.

I think that was his debut, and he scored with his first or second touch.

My dad used to take me to the Southampton Schoolboys games, from the very early 80s.  I was mesmerised the first time I saw the pitch under lights.  Ended up playing there myself a few times for the said team.

Cant remember my first time watching the first team.  I used to get complimentary tickets from the club as I trained there every Friday (until they got rid of me).

Do remember a reserve game though, we lost 5-4 to Spurs.  Gary Brooke scored the winner, a header from way out.  I think Keegan was playing, but I can’t be sure.

7 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Saints 1-1 Leeds United. 30th August 1995

Restricted view seats in the East Stand bought by my Dad at the last minute. The atmosphere captured my eleven year old imagination, even if I couldn't see much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Da7TEOaIg

Tommy Widdrington pointing to his name after scoring one of the scrappiest goals in Saints history. Classic. 

• Like 1

Late 1968 I started going to reserve games, first one was a 3-0 win over Swindon. Also watched some of the Combination Cup games, including the semi against Spurs. First league game was February 15th 1969, 0-0 against Newcastle. Dad used my uncle's West Stand season ticket and give the turnstile operator a drink to lift me over, which he did for the rest of the season, including a 3-2 win over QPR and an Easter Monday thrashing of Burnley when Bobby Stokes scored twice on his debut. I too saw the pre-season friendly against Dundee - I believe Jim Steele was playing for them.

Had to look up the exact date, but it was 28th October 1995. We hosted Wimbledon, winning 2-0 - with both goals coming from Neil Shipperley.

Being a nipper I usually only got to follow the games on Teletext (or via highlights on South Today), and came away thinking that Shipperley must be amazing.

Couldn't tell you anything about the game, but distinctly remember the crowd chanting his name as we poured out to the streets. Funny what the brain holds onto.