Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Having had 24 hours to be a bit more rational about this, I'm surprised Ings isn't getting more grief. He was really poor yesterday - he had 2 chances that he should have put away and his touch was really heavy - if he'd put them away we would have won and we would be having a very different debate on here. He doesn't seem to have recaptured his form and always looks knackered. I'm beginning to think he needed a bit more time before coming back.

Otherwise I wonder if it would have been better for bednarek to start at right back from the start - easy to say with hindsight, but he suffered more than anyone against United and it clearly has impacted his confidence and that change helped the problems with having Stephens at right back.

From a plan b perspective we haven't had one in 3 years so I don't expect that to change any time soon, but we have picked up a lot of points with a very average squad so I'm less worried about that than the whole team's ability to score goals which is my biggest worry at the moment - I just don't see where it goals are coming from without Ings playing well.

I agree Ings just doesn't seem the same player since his injury away at Villa, I was actually thinking yesterday he doesn't look that well, aged a bit, his longer hair greased back in the rain and facial hair he's starting to look like Mr Banks from Mary Poppins. 

• Haha 2

In the military world you don’t assault a fixed position by slowly walking up to it hoping that the defenders will come out to meet you especially if they don’t need to. 

When a team is a goal or two ahead and down to ten or even nine men then patiently passing the ball about in front of them is not going to achieve much. They are going to sit tight in their defensive formation and watch the clock go down.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

In the military world you don’t assault a fixed position by slowly walking up to it hoping that the defenders will come out to meet you especially if they don’t need to. 

When a team is a goal or two ahead and down to ten or even nine men then patiently passing the ball about in front of them is not going to achieve much. They are going to sit tight in their defensive formation and watch the clock go down.

Doing exactly what we’ve done in the last 24 attacks is exactly the last thing the opposition will expect us to do next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, trousers said:

I suspect the waterlogged conditions may have played a part in Ralph's thinking.... whilst taking into account how seemingly prone Djenepo is to picking up injuries. Can you imagine the hoo-haa from the hindsight brigade on here had he got injured after coming on, and the conditions had played a part in it?

If that was the case perhaps in hindsight Djenepo shouldn't of even been on the bench............................................just saying.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If a few players had tried to run directly at them we may have got a few fouls allowing JWP to score again from a free kick or even a penalty

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

If a few players had tried to run directly at them we may have got a few fouls allowing JWP to score again from a free kick or even a penalty

Just go for the throat. Get there the fastest with the mostest. Pace and movement and pull them apart. Not try to bore them to sleep.

2 hours ago, SaintMB said:

I wonder why there aren’t more retired colonels managing teams in the premier league..

Probably because your average army recruit can’t phone his agent and demand a transfer to the Navy Reserves if the corporals are being mean to him.

12 hours ago, JRM said:

I agree Ings just doesn't seem the same player since his injury away at Villa, I was actually thinking yesterday he doesn't look that well, aged a bit, his longer hair greased back in the rain and facial hair he's starting to look like Mr Banks from Mary Poppins. 

I think we might be underestimating the effect of COVID on Ings. I had it in January and although I was over the worst of it in a couple of days, I still get incredibly tired at certain parts of the day. Not enough to stop me doing things but maybe Danny is feeling just well enough to play but not quite at full power.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 17:53, Hodgey said:

Even Bruce knew about our rb issues - targeted from the start- you don’t get away with that at this level. Sometimes you need a plan B - pointless bringing on a big lump up front if you can’t cross the ball in. We should have put 3 times the amount of crosses in that we did in those conditions but every time it was laboured slow passing to the wings and hit first man crosses. We should have pushed Vestigaard up front, Jwp our wide to cross and bombarded them. Everyone is upset not by this game (annoying though that is) but that we seemingly can’t think of ways to score against 10 or 9 men - it really isn’t good enough

We had plenty of corners that came to  nothing

5 hours ago, jabei said:

I think we might be underestimating the effect of COVID on Ings. I had it in January and although I was over the worst of it in a couple of days, I still get incredibly tired at certain parts of the day. Not enough to stop me doing things but maybe Danny is feeling just well enough to play but not quite at full power.

Yes, it surely can't be coincidental that all of our covid affected players (Ings, McCarthy, Armstrong - don't think I've missed anyone else?) have struggled to return to previous levels of form.

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

We had plenty of corners that came to  nothing

It also led to our best chance and excellent save from Darlow. No point having big men upfront if you don’t give them anything to attack - even with 9 we were never going to go through the middle of them

21 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They came on in the same old way,and we stopped them in the same old way.

Erwin Rommel.       North Africa 1941.

4 hours ago, Hodgey said:

It also led to our best chance and excellent save from Darlow. No point having big men upfront if you don’t give them anything to attack - even with 9 we were never going to go through the middle of them

Agreed, but we did not give them much to attack - see some of the previous posts.

On 07/02/2021 at 12:15, Totton Saint said:

I totally agree. Why can't Ralph see this. Redders is the biggest culprit passing back to the player who gave hm the ball i the first place. 

The problem is that we dont know what the managers orders are to him. It could be also a person who really is a confidence player is finding getting slaughtered by his own fans doesnt help him to take any risks,

Can I also add that trying to move around this site is pathetic and very frustrating. Trying to go from this topic to the Lounge is impossible. I thought it had been sorted but sadly not.

I suspect many are drifting off as they also feel the same frustration

Edited by OldNick