Newcastle 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

15 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Have we got immune to losing 9 nil, that people now think a 3-2 defeat away to Newcastle is worse. It's not.

It's the irony more than anything. The hateful, f**king irony. In our very next game life says, "hey, now let's see what YOU can do against 9 men!"

• Like 1

Even Bruce knew about our rb issues - targeted from the start- you don’t get away with that at this level. Sometimes you need a plan B - pointless bringing on a big lump up front if you can’t cross the ball in. We should have put 3 times the amount of crosses in that we did in those conditions but every time it was laboured slow passing to the wings and hit first man crosses. We should have pushed Vestigaard up front, Jwp our wide to cross and bombarded them. Everyone is upset not by this game (annoying though that is) but that we seemingly can’t think of ways to score against 10 or 9 men - it really isn’t good enough

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The modern cliché is “no plan B”, but in our case it absolutely applies. Look at the 3rd goal, seconds left but the keeper has to keep playing  the same way. Why? We weren’t going to draw them out, beat their press and create an overload out wide. Just hoof it up field, hear the whistle, pick your stuff out of the net, and trot off 2-1 down.

Against 9, we’re still going down the middle, before pass to wide man, who switches it inside to CM who knocks it back to centre half, who knocks to full back. All little triangles, round and round, getting fucking nowhere. Why not try something else. Instead of knocking in corners, where their 8 & keeper battle with our 8, why don’t we threaten to take a short one, they can bring 2 out to stop it or we can do them 2 against 1. Why knock knock a long ball occasionally and pick up the second ball. Why not get a centre half over lapping like Sheffield Utd do. They had zero attacking threat. We didn’t move them round at all. They could just sit there 2  banks of 4 whilst we passed it in front of them.

Personally, I’d have chucked Vesty up top with Adams, Ings in the 10. Bertrand & Bednarek as defenders, with Redmond & Djneppo as advanced full backs. Why on Earth he’s playing OR & 2 centre halves against 9 is beyond me. 

Yeah agree absolutely ref the third goal. It’s looked inevitable all season we are going to get caught out by the playing around at the back bit. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it, generally it’s good - shows we are in charge, confident - but FMOB it’s not always the right approach ffs. His foot goes through that ball and we do not concede. Simple. Even after that Bertrand’s foot goes through it and we don’t concede. So that’s a point thrown down the drain regardless of our hopeless inability to break teams down.

As good as Romeu is off the ball he is a liability on it, especially when the opposition lose a man as he moves the ball far too slowly. The same goes for Stephens - he is diabolical at passing. Diallo seems to move it a lot quicker and should be Prowsey's partner when fit.

Ings is a shadow of his former self and Redmond is like a rabbit on the headlights.

Positives were Vestergaard and Minamino but that's about it really.

Edited by Harry_SFC

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, I can tell, but blaming him for all our ills is wrong. We don't have a great winger at the club. We have workman like players like Armstrong and Walcott, wildcard, but generally poor in Djenepo, and Redmond, who when on sing is a decent player, but isn't on song anywhere near often enough

It all feels pretty raw at the moment, but Redmond isn't great and hasn't ever been. Bar a few games here and there over 5 years this has been Redmond. Giving the ball away, under hitting a pass, mishitting a cross, running into a defender or passing backwards. The weather doesn't make any difference, he has always been like this.

He was poor under Puel, Pelligrino, arguably he had his best little purple patch under Hugues, but he's generally been a really poor player for us over the course of 5 years. I'd have Moussa in his place all day long, and even he doesn't rip up any trees.

Arguably we play better when we don't have 'natural' wide men in the 11, not sure if that's more down to how we're drilled to play or the quality of the wide players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

As good as Romeu is off the ball he is a liability on it, especially when the opposition lose a man as he moves the ball for too slowly. The same goes for Stephens - he is diabolical at passing.

Ings is a shadow of his former self and Redmond is like a rabbit on the headlights.

Positives were Vestergaard and Minamino but that's about it really.

Think that’s harsh, he’s missed a few games, I doubt he’s even fully fit, but it’s not like he’s spoiled for options for a quick release of the ball.

• Like 1

Certainly wasn't as bad as losing 9 0, get a grip.

However a very bad day at the office. The conditions didn't help but you can see confidence is shot.

As usual the Redmond, and Stephens's haters are out in force. They didn't have great games, but just because you want a scapegoat doesn't excuse the vitriol.

Minimano made some great runs, played like a Liverpool player. Saints just ignored him 

Ralph has to change his tactics, he has been found out and needs to adapt.

Losing 3 2 is relatively normal. Learn,  blue line move on.

Free hit Thursday, chance to regroup.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

How shit are we a club that we as a club that we lose one RB and we can’t function at all? 

We cannot be relying on one player to be able to compete. The players need to to take a damn long hard look in the mirror. Newcastle were diving in and had lost the plot yet not one player had the guts to run at them into the box.

Instead it was passing around the periphery waiting for someone else to step up.

Highly paid footballs need to step up and make things happen. Not this lot. Gutless.

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed watching England on C4 , getting up at 04:00 has been worth it ! I was hoping Saints would at least get a point today but no . An og yellow card that could have been red , a fight back that ran out of steam , pretty disappointing but looking forward to a revival . Keeper and defence need to pull their finger out etc . Ings I suspect is not 100%  but we live in hope for another season in the Prem !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jabei said:

I think it is...Utd are a good team and we had a lot going against us.

We had a virtually full strength team out today and Newcastle are most definitely not a good team.

That severely minimise's the 9-0 and catastrophises today's result. Currently we aren't that much better than Newcastle to make today's result worse than the 9-0.

2 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

That severely minimise's the 9-0 and catastrophises today's result. Currently we aren't that much better than Newcastle to make today's result worse than the 9-0.

I suppose that's true.

• Like 1

Where to start.

Mousa should’ve been on. He makes things happen.

Against 9 men all we did was tempered passes between us in and around their box. No decisive passes, little to no movement in box.

Redmond is fucking shite.

Had enough if this bollox. Ruining my whole weekend again

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It's the irony more than anything. The hateful, f**king irony. In our very next game life says, "hey, now let's see what YOU can do against 9 men!"

I get that the reverse mirroring is a complete double wanker sign in the face. And then not getting the goal when they were down to 10 then 9 is really disappointing but the 9-nil is something else.

That third goal was a complete kick in the balls, which made it really hard for an average team playing badly to come back.

1 minute ago, verlaine1979 said:

Very little power in the team. Saint-Maximin brushed off Bednarek and then just accelerated away from him for their first. Our quick players aren't strong and our strong players aren't quick.

We only have slow defenders. Vest makes Bedders snd Stephens look like Carl Lewis and Linford Christie and he’s our best defender........LOL(?)

• Haha 1

Redmond played well in the first half.  This is from Michael Brown - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/55858904/page/8 - "Redmond has been getting in some great positions, cutting inside and spraying the ball around."

Second half we didn't have enough width.  Redmond and Bertrand are getting slagged off but there wasn't enough movement around them to create space.  Amazed that Lulu came on for Stephens instead of a wide player like Dnjepe

3 minutes ago, MatthewStiles said:

Redmond played well in the first half.  This is from Michael Brown - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/55858904/page/8 - "Redmond has been getting in some great positions, cutting inside and spraying the ball around."

Second half we didn't have enough width.  Redmond and Bertrand are getting slagged off but there wasn't enough movement around them to create space.  Amazed that Lulu came on for Stephens instead of a wide player like Dnjepe

Spraying the ball around?

Only thing he’s spraying, is liquid shit all over the field every time he gets near the ball. 

Should send the Magpies a bill for free fertilizer services...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MatthewStiles said:

He was one of the reasons we lost the third goal. He certainly didn't play well at any stage of the game.

He can deceive people by looking to run around a lot with the ball, but look at what he actually does with it. Nothing. Ever. A position that looks promising with him pulling out wide and running at a player, will often result in him slowing down, turning back and playing it to a defender. Every.single.time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was one of the reasons we lost the third goal. He certainly didn't play well at any stage of the game.

He can deceive people by looking to run around a lot with the ball, but look at what he actually does with it. Nothing. Ever. A position that looks promising with him pulling out wide and running at a player, will often result in him slowing down, turning back and playing it to a defender. Every.single.time.

It’s maddening isn’t it?

It'll be a 3 on 2 break, crying out for a simple pass or a bit of craft to trick the defender and get clean in and it’s “Redmond...waits....waits.....WAITS...”.

Then they have 6 men back and he’ll pass it to Romeu or Bertrand.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Quote from Redmond, "It's difficult playing against 10 or 9 men". Tells you all you need to know.

We were lucky it was so difficult for Man Utd and Leicester playing against 10/9 men then, weren't we.

Edited by S-Clarke

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Quote from Redmond, "It's difficult playing against 10 or 9 men". Tells you all you need to know.

According to that piss head Merson, it’s harder to play against 9 than it is against 10. If they’d had 12 or 13 we’d of pissed it 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Tonight feels like Rockbottom, as Everton did last season. We’re in a bad run of form at the moment and lack of confidence is clear. 

11 v 11 I actually thought we looked okay going forward. As soon as they went down to 10 men and shut up shop and defended with desire (take note please Southampton CB’s) the game was gone. As always, we’re missing someone who can break teams down in the middle of the park. It’s been this way since Tadic left. Redmond should be this player, but just doesn’t want to take on his man (started sharp though and is getting a bit on unwarranted flack, imo). 

Defensively, we are simply not good enough. We have no one who can cover KWP and its a huge issue. Stephens isn’t a PL player and neither is bednerak at this moment in time. 

simply put, you cannot make 3 mistakes like we did today in the premier league. Every team will punish you. Stephens caught out of position for the first 2 but clearly Bednerak should have done better and McCarthy has a clanger like that in him, we’ve seen it a few times. 

overall, we’ve been bloody unlucky these last 3 games (granted we would never have beat United, but wouldn’t have lost by that score) and even today we missed a few good chances, hit the post etc and it just felt like the ball wasn’t going to fall for us. Villa and today could have easily gone our way on another day.  

calling for Ralph is ridiculous, he’s not blameless but with the limited resources we currently have available, I don’t think anyone could do better. We’re an average team who our very good on our day and very bad on others. 

I think we need a bit of a clear out. Cash in on Ings, don’t bother with Bertrands contract. And invest in a proper leader at CB. 

we go again Thursday for what is now our biggest game if the season. 

I've not seen the game so I cannot comment on it, but having seen most of the games before the Man U fiasco it was obvious that our form was going downhill.

I have a lot of time for RH but I don't think he escapes some blame in all of this and has been found out a bit tactically, but the biggest problem is our general strength in depth proven by the fact that as soon as a few first team players got injured we have fallen to pieces. Why on earth we didn't pull out the stops to get decent cover in at the back Gao knows.

25 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

To be honest, he’s completely right. Bruce, unlike Ralph Tuesday (perhaps due to options he had available to him), managed the game at this point perfectly. 

I guess the difference between us Tuesday and them today was that we had 4 attacking players on midfield, 1 kid at RB 2 CB’s who aren’t up to PL standard (on current form) and United are just a lot better than us. 

the Pitch also really didn’t help. You need to move the ball quickly, the state of that pitch today prevented that. 

Not breaking down 9/10 men wasn’t really the issue. 3 completely unprofessional mistakes and pathetic defending is. 

Edited by SKD

How in God's name did that shower of shit get to the top of the table? What's happened to us since the City game? Is it to simplistic to say that the injuries we had over the course of a few months disturbed our momentum so much? Or is it something else? I get that players lose form over the season, but this lot have bombed out so much it's crazy. Firstly, I sympathise with Forster, after the last nine, Gunn was immediately replaced. I'm not saying Forster is any better than McCarthy but after keeping three clean sheets in the three games he played, I think he deserves a run of games. I think if Saliusu is fit, he has to start a few games now. Bedernak is suffering at the moment, I think he needs to come out of the firing line. If Saliusu is the future then he needs games to bed in. 

Not sure where we are with Betrand. I have always liked him and thought he has been a good player of the years. I think had we got another left back in the window that would have signalled the end of his Saints career. I guess he is on a fair whack for us and the chance to not offer him what he is looking for is too good an opportunity to get his wage off the books. Soon as they went down to ten, Moussa should have been on. He's not much better than Redmond, but at least his direct and has pace. Apart from him and KWP we don't have any. 

Adams is also going through a rough patch, although I do question if he has what it takes to be a success in the PL. He is so one footed it is almost laughable. Sure, he'll get a few goals a season, but he's not a 10-15 a season player. Ings just doesn't look like the same player and that's one of the biggest worry. He's clearly away in the Summer and looks like he can't be arsed. He must have a move sorted out regardless of form as the way he is playing lately, even Eastleigh wouldn't be interested in him. If Liverpool would have sanctioned it, I would have preferred Origi to have come in.

54 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Certainly wasn't as bad as losing 9 0, get a grip.

However a very bad day at the office. The conditions didn't help but you can see confidence is shot.

As usual the Redmond, and Stephens's haters are out in force. They didn't have great games, but just because you want a scapegoat doesn't excuse the vitriol.

Minimano made some great runs, played like a Liverpool player. Saints just ignored him 

Ralph has to change his tactics, he has been found out and needs to adapt.

Losing 3 2 is relatively normal. Learn,  blue line move on.

Free hit Thursday, chance to regroup.

Not against 9 men it isn’t. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I've not seen the game so I cannot comment on it, but having seen most of the games before the Man U fiasco it was obvious that our form was going downhill.

I have a lot of time for RH but I don't think he escapes some blame in all of this and has been found out a bit tactically, but the biggest problem is our general strength in depth proven by the fact that as soon as a few first team players got injured we have fallen to pieces. Why on earth we didn't pull out the stops to get decent cover in at the back Gao knows.

Ralph was quoted in the press that Saints couldn’t afford the players he wanted .

3 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Yes, that is worrying.

He wasn’t tactically out though by Bruce. We gave away three shit goals when they went down to 10 and then 9 they sat deep and defended like a team should defend. It was basic stuff hardly a tactical master class 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Because we were the 5th or 6th best premier League side in 2020?

But were we really though? We seemed to benefit more than most from the first Lockdown, which enabled us to reset and recharge our batteries. Before that we were heading down the table at an alarming rate. I think that without the pause we would have been in that relegation fight along with Villa and Bmuff. We were shite before the lockdown. I think because of the short turnaround between the seasons, we still had that momentum from playing over the summer. For whatever reason the break suited us.