Qatar 2022 - Boycott

TPooley

14 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

No surprise you've jumped to conclusions based on fuck all, where have I said I've signed any petition.

My point simply is, it's easy to stick it on wokies, when our government continually sign up for stuff and then just carry on as normal. Of course the government are virtue signalling, they are the worse type. 

I totally agree there are alarming problems with supply chains and it's depressing that it's virtually impossible to buy an electronic product that hasn't had a Chinese input.

Perhaps it's passed you by, but the UK Government cannot change the laws of other countries.

What we consider (in the UK and elsewhere) to be unacceptable practices, like slavery, poor working conditions, appalling health and safety etc etc, can be deemed perfectly reasonable in the countries that they take place.

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Not sure what that has got to do with their suitability to host a World Cup. Their human rights record is just one of the reasons why they shouldn’t have been awarded it, in my opinion.

i get why sometimes countries like Russia and China get to host these things despite their obvious faults, but the Qatar decision was just illogical and corrupt.

Aren't the two linked? If they aren't suitable to hold the world cup because of their human rights record then surely they aren't suitable to do business with?

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I never said that China had a better human rights record than Qatar, you obviously have problems reading.

So what was your inference when you posted this?

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Not sure what that has got to do with their suitability to host a World Cup. Their human rights record is just one of the reasons why they shouldn’t have been awarded it, in my opinion.

i get why sometimes countries like Russia and China get to host these things despite their obvious faults, but the Qatar decision was just illogical and corrupt.

What exactly are the 'obvious faults' that you are happy to ignore when they are awarded these sporting events?

8 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely the boycotts and petitions should have happened years ago so as to avoid all those deaths - genuine boycott of the world cup = no point building all the stadiums!

Isn't this just making sure the stable door is closed?

Pretty much.  Still a statement of conscience though.

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What exactly are the 'obvious faults' that you are happy to ignore when they are awarded these sporting events?

That Russia had just used a nerve agent on British soil? We still went to that world cup! 🙂

29 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That would only be the inference if sports events are awarded solely on the basis of a countries record on human rights. If I really need to explain the faults of Russia and China you really are a thick old gammon cunt.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Perhaps it's passed you by, but the UK Government cannot change the laws of other countries.

What we consider (in the UK and elsewhere) to be unacceptable practices, like slavery, poor working conditions, appalling health and safety etc etc, can be deemed perfectly reasonable in the countries that they take place.

Of course it hasn't passed me by, but they could do more than nothing if they really wanted to. We sign stuff and agree things but nothing changes. We interact with dodgy regimes, religious nutters and dictators all whilst preaching good from the lectern. 

But hey just knock wokies for having a different opinion to you.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

That would only be the inference if sports events are awarded solely on the basis of a countries record on human rights. If I really need to explain the faults of Russia and China you really are a thick old gammon cunt.

Ah, right.  Makes perfect sense.  You are happy for major world sporting events to go ahead in Russia and China despite their worse human rights records.

On the other hand, you'll happily sign a petition to boycott the Qatar World Cup (that you were never going to attend anyway) in a grand gesture of virtue signalling.

22 hours ago, aintforever said:

Signed. For the reasons mentioned, but also because it’s going to be shit.

As ever, literaly nothing about you makes sense.

(no doubt you'll now trot out your line about the corruption which awarded Qatar the finals in the first place, completely ignoring the fact that this happens every single time the World Cup finals are decided).

37 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Of course it hasn't passed me by, but they could do more than nothing if they really wanted to. We sign stuff and agree things but nothing changes. We interact with dodgy regimes, religious nutters and dictators all whilst preaching good from the lectern. 

But hey just knock wokies for having a different opinion to you.

Money talks.

3 hours ago, Pedantic Pete said:

Hold on why should they be different to anyone else?..You can't have a clear conscience these days unless you are doing the latest empty gesture to prove your wokeness?

If you think not condoning a regime that treats workers like Qatar does as wokeness you must be a really horrible fucker!

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

If you think not condoning a regime that treats workers like Qatar does as wokeness you must be a really horrible fucker!

How does not condoning it make it any better for those suffering? that's my point..Do something about it..stop getting a TV licence and tell the BBC it's because they are going to show games from Qatar. Boycott any company that does business with them. But you won't it's all hand wringing and virtue signalling. Action is too hard. 

Edited by Pedantic Pete

2 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

How does condoning it make it any better for those suffering? that's my point..Do something about it..stop getting a TV licence and tell the BBC it's because they are going to show games from Qatar. Boycott any company that does business with them. But you won't it's all hand wringing and virtue signalling. Action is too hard. 

Go down on one knee before kick off. That’ll change things and show how much you care. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Pedantic Pete said:

How does not condoning it make it any better for those suffering? that's my point..Do something about it..stop getting a TV licence and tell the BBC it's because they are going to show games from Qatar. Boycott any company that does business with them. But you won't it's all hand wringing and virtue signalling. Action is too hard. 

Yeah because stopping your TV license is going to change everything. :lol:

2 hours ago, Pedantic Pete said:

Action would be England boycotting.  It’s not that hard to understand.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

No, but it is precisely what the petition that the OP linked to is trying to achieve.

Or have you just got on your high horse again without bothering to read it?

Don't fret, I read it.

The petition is basically suggesting Southampton FC should 'formally request' that the FA withdraw the England team from the world cup :

All who sign this petition call on Southampton FC to formally request the FA withdraw from the FIFA World Cup in Qatar 2022 due to the horrific human rights abuses perpetrated in order to host the event.

Whilst it may be 'well intentioned' it is, quite frankly, doomed to failure.  Not least because (right now) only 49 people have signed it which isn't exactly overwhelming support is it?  But also, who in their right mind would think that 1.  SFC is going to make such a request to the FA and 2. Even if they did pluck up the courage to do so, who on the planet would think that the FA would give a shiny shit about the request, 'formal' or otherwise?

On 10/04/2021 at 20:53, Pedantic Pete said:

But isn't the issue that people are happy to sign a form, maybe go for a walk on a protest but not really ready to change anything in their own life that would make a difference?

Isn't it just a bit of virtue signalling really? Make people feel good that they signed a petition but will they still watch the world cup? Probably... if England do well they will be down the pub watching the games..

Will they boycott the TV companies that show the games? No..... they will still have a TV licence and watch corrie after its over.

Will they boycott any company doing business with Qatar? Probably not. 

Did they really care? Probably not..a bit of faux outrage is all the rage these days... then carry on as normal. Why weren't they protesting before the decision, to make the decision to give it to them impossible? Why aren't they out in the streets protesting to ensure China don't get the 2030 world cup?  

Hello mate

Not having a dig as Im not into tit fir tat pettiness, but you have tarnished everyone with the same brush a little. Sure, there are plenty of people who will watch the news, go, oh thats terrible and just carry on eating their dinner without a second thought, or in this case, sign a form to feel virtuous, but in response to your comment there are plenty of people who change their lifestyles because of this sort of info or petition. I know this because Im one of them. Certain foods I wont eat, companies I wont buy from ( altho amazon have me by the bollocks which upsets me) companies I wont travel with etc. Ive been like this for nearly two decades. Does it affect their trading standards ? Well some cases, yes it does. Most specifically, altho i dont eat there, macdonalds changed a lot of their policies on the back of super size me, so kudos to them. My point is, more and more people are becoming better informed about dodgy, ethically immoral standards and I believe there is always a place to start. I think we can all agree we want to live in a better world and it all has to start somewhere. Normally with ourselves.

( nod to Gandhi there ) ,😊

• Like 2

So just to recap the SaintsWeb brains trust position is Qatar World Cup is bad, but complaining or protesting is a waste of time because nothing will change. Also complaining protesting about anything at all is virtue signalling by people for attention so that should stop also.

But they still get to say that Qatar is bad and use that the put themselves above black players taking the knee in the ethical stakes. You could call it signalling their own virtue, if you will.

I'm still trying to work out that if Gary Lineker or Naga Munchetty or other enemies of Guido Fawkes come out and say Qatar is bad will that be welcomed or scorned?

I'm lying if course. I know exactly what will happen. If Lineker did nake a stand about Qatar, all that would happen is Guido and his fanbase would go into overdrive to point out that a) he drives a car with petrol made from oil b) he's been on holiday to the middle east c) he's done corporate gigs for Qatar companies etc etc etc. 

So complain about Qatar on here but for the love of God don't actually do or say anything tangible because that makes you a hypocrite.

This is an absolutely triumphant SaintsWeb thread, a classic of the genre.

• Like 5

Well said CBF . We avoid buying anything with palm oil in it due to destruction of the ancient rain forests assosiated with it . It wasn't listed as a separate ingredient until recently , before that it was disguised under vegetable oils  . Not much but you have to start somewhere.

Eco fuel is now being promoted by the Govt unfortunately to produce said food based fuel additive it involves using land that is required for food producion and also encourages the destruction of ancient rain forests . Likewise soya beans !

Lets go for electric cars , unfortunately same large energy use to produce said cars plus batteries require large quantities of rare elements which require new mining activity around certain countries around the world. No thought about reducing vehicle engine size , output , max speed etc . Energy saved over the last 10 years by hybrid and electric cars has been overtaken by the sale of massive gas guzzling SUVs .

So do what you can , even if it seems futile , and keep protesting even if it's ignored .

13 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Well said CBF . We avoid buying anything with palm oil in it due to destruction of the ancient rain forests assosiated with it . It wasn't listed as a separate ingredient until recently , before that it was disguised under vegetable oils  . Not much but you have to start somewhere.

Eco fuel is now being promoted by the Govt unfortunately to produce said food based fuel additive it involves using land that is required for food producion and also encourages the destruction of ancient rain forests . Likewise soya beans !

Lets go for electric cars , unfortunately same large energy use to produce said cars plus batteries require large quantities of rare elements which require new mining activity around certain countries around the world. No thought about reducing vehicle engine size , output , max speed etc . Energy saved over the last 10 years by hybrid and electric cars has been overtaken by the sale of massive gas guzzling SUVs .

So do what you can , even if it seems futile , and keep protesting even if it's ignored .

Oilseeds (soybean, palm oil and others) are responsible for 18% of deforestation. Pasture for cattle farming is 41%, so if you care about the rainforest stop eating beef.

• Like 1