Liverpool 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

12 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Either that or both or being put in the shop window to see if they attract any bids

I think its a bit of both. Give them both games to prove themselves to us and others, then make a decision on who to move on if/when offers come in. 

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

We do but I dont think Ralph knows his best keeper so is trying both hoping to find out

That’s the problem we’ve got 3 average keepers earning £200k + a week between them. 

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

They have the quality of player to be able to do that though

Absolutely, but Turkish did say "the better sides keep a settled back four" which really isn't the case with Man City. They are perhaps very different from everyone else.

I'm not overly concerned about the keeper changing to be honest. Getting the right back four is more of a concern.

Just now, Chez said:

Absolutely, but Turkish did say "the better sides keep a settled back four" which really isn't the case with Man City. They are perhaps very different from everyone else.

I'm not overly concerned about the keeper changing to be honest. Getting the right back four is more of a concern.

I'd be more concerned if he was still doing this at the start of the season. 

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s a fact. The best teams have a settled defence and keeper

Chelsea are arguably the best English club team on current form. They change their back 5 every game. 

We're keeping a settled back 4. I don't share the opinion (it's not a fact) that changing a keeper unsettles the defence in front of them. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Stones / Dias have regularly been the ones who have played and they’ve been more solid as a result. 

They changed it today and lost. 

They have constantly changed the back four with Laporte coming in and Dias or Stones sitting out, and both fullbacks have changed in most games too. Amazing they have been able to still win so many games.

Pretty much the whole side was changed today to be fair.

Just now, egg said:

Chelsea are arguably the best English club team on current form. They change their back 5 every game. 

We're keeping a settled back 4. I don't share the opinion (it's not a fact) that changing a keeper unsettles the defence in front of them. 

The issue is more than both keepers are pretty poor. 

I personally find it odd as it gives no opportunity to find any rhythm. I get he perhaps wants to find the best of the 2 or put them in the shop window, personally I’d give them A run of 2/3 games rather than just switching them Out every game regardless of how they play. 

I am Of the opinion that a settled defensive unit is the best though. Probably stems back to United from the 90’s. 

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'd be more concerned if he was still doing this at the start of the season. 

absolutely. The position has been a mess for a while. If we want to improve we need (more) players in the squad that the top 6 want.  No one wants these keepers, which is telling.

Just now, SKD said:

The issue is more than both keepers are pretty poor. 

I personally find it odd as it gives no opportunity to find any rhythm. I get he perhaps wants to find the best of the 2 or put them in the shop window, personally I’d give them A run of 2/3 games rather than just switching them Out every game regardless of how they play. 

I am Of the opinion that a settled defensive unit is the best though. Probably stems back to United from the 90’s. 

Being poor is a different point. You've been saying that changing keepers impacts the team. 

Man City and Chelsea change their defensive players every game. That's much more disruptive than changing keepers. 

Regardless, we wouldn't have won if McCarthy was playing so  I'm not of the point you're making in the context of tonight's result. 

Just now, egg said:

Being poor is a different point. You've been saying that changing keepers impacts the team. 

Man City and Chelsea change their defensive players every game. That's much more disruptive than changing keepers. 

Regardless, we wouldn't have won if McCarthy was playing so  I'm not of the point you're making in the context of tonight's result. 

Must just be coincidence that when we’ve had our best periods we’ve played with the same goalkeeper and centre backs week after week after week 

Just now, Turkish said:

Must just be coincidence that when we’ve had our best periods we’ve played with the same goalkeeper and centre backs week after week after week 

Are you honestly saying that you think tonight will have gone better if McCarthy had played? 

1 minute ago, egg said:

No I didn’t, all I said I find it odd that he keeps changing every game. Always went on some weird Personal insulting rage. 

A settled unit weather that be back 4 or keepers will of course form Partnerships. Changing every game will prevent that. 

Chelsea and City are the anomalies because they have 2 squads good enough tomwalk into pretty much all other PL teams. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Are you honestly saying that you think tonight will have gone better if McCarthy had played? 

You’re twisting what I’m saying. I’m not for one minute saying we’d have won had McCarthy played 

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, egg said:

No one, absolutely no one has said that. 

Edited by SKD

Just now, whelk said:

Yeah cos it was lack of telepathy with the back 4 getting confused not knowing who was behind. Fact

Well people questioned Ron Greenwoods management at that time due to his rotation of them, so I guess you’ve kind of proven me right 👏👏👏

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Yeah cos it was lack of telepathy with the back 4 getting confused not knowing who was behind. Fact

Ironically Spain who had a squad pretty much made up solely by Barca and Madrid players did smash it though...

Just now, SKD said:

No I didn’t, all I said I find it odd that he keeps changing every game. Always went on some weird Personal insulting rage. 

A settled unit weather that be back 4 or keepers will of course form Partnerships. Changing every game will prevent that. 

Chelsea and City are the anomalies because they have 2 squads good enough tomwalk into pretty much all other PL teams. 

Unless you're saying that Forster playing ahead of McCarthy made a difference to the result, the point you make is academic to tonights result. 

Whilst accepting we played ok today I find us a very hard watch if I'm honest. Everything seems so rushed and few of our lot are comfortable on the ball. We always look on the verge of giving the ball away or conceding a soft goal. I don't see any cohesion and we seem permanently muddled with few flowing moves and a distinct lack of movement off the ball or between the lines. I watched a chunk of the Leeds game today and the difference between them and us is night and day - all of them are comfortable on the ball and happy to receive it in the tightest of situations, they play it neat, crisp, quick and simple - easy on the eye and pretty much everything we are not. I accept they have better players than us but they look like they are playing a different sport to us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Well people questioned Ron Greenwoods management at that time due to his rotation of them, so I guess you’ve kind of proven me right 👏👏👏

Oh ‘people’. Definitive proof

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You’re twisting what I’m saying. I’m not for one minute saying we’d have won had McCarthy played 

Then your point in the context of tonights result is as pointless as SKD. Arguing for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

Unless you're saying that Forster playing ahead of McCarthy made a difference to the result, the point you make is academic to tonights result. 

Yes I know it is. I never said it wasn’t. 

In reaction to today’s game, I said I find it odd we change the keeper every game. That’s not saying it made a difference, is it. 

Just now, egg said:

Then your point in the context of tonights result is as pointless as SKD. Arguing for the sake of it. 

It was litterally Always who started the arguemeant and you’re continuing it 😂

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Ironically Spain who had a squad pretty much made up solely by Barca and Madrid players did smash it though...

Already been said Man City are smashing it with very much a rotated defence. Neither proves anything.

23 minutes ago, SKD said:

Stones / Dias have regularly been the ones who have played and they’ve been more solid as a result. 

They changed it today and lost. 

Not sure I understand.  Dias played and Stones was suspended. 

56 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yep, all on the players tonight. 

Ive been a critic of Ralph, but he can’t do anymore if his forwards aren’t good enough to put the ball away. 

He didn’t have a bad game, but I find the continual changing of keeper odd 

For context @egg. Where is that saying it impacted the game? 

Just now, SKD said:

Yes I know it is. I never said it wasn’t. 

In reaction to today’s game, I said I find it odd we change the keeper every game. That’s not saying it made a difference, is it. 

This is a thread about tonight's match. There's no point in waffling on about our change of keeper in tonight's match unless you're saying it was relevant to tonights match!! Jeez. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DT said:

We really are poor, aren’t we? Right through the club. 

aha. But what's the solution? Could some good horse trading this summer change everything, or will the returning loanees hamstring us for another summer/season, so the best we can hope for is a very marginal improvement?

1 minute ago, SKD said:

For context @egg. Where is that saying it impacted the game? 

This is a thread about tonight's match. There's no point in waffling on about our change of keeper in tonight's match unless you're saying it was relevant to tonights match!! Jeez

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Already been said Man City are smashing it with very much a rotated defence. Neither proves anything.

To be honest, I’m not really sure where this point has gone so I’m going to just leave it. 

I find it odd he changes the keeper every game. IM sure he has his reasons, just not for me. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

This is a thread about tonight's match. There's no point in waffling on about our change of keeper in tonight's match unless you're saying it was relevant to tonights match!! Jeez

But he changed the keeper in today’s game or are we not allowed to discuss team selection in the match thread 😂

Edited by SKD

1 minute ago, egg said:

I never said it had anything to do with tonight’s result. I’m really not sure why you’re saying it is.  Simple Point is look back through history and in general teams who are successful with best defensive records pick the same keeper and centre backs every week. Of course there will anomalies to this like a team who can afford a £40m centre back as fourth choice. 

Just now, SKD said:

But he changed the keeper in today’s game 😂

Fuck me, this is tedious. I haven't got a clue what your point is and I don't think you do!! Yep, he changed the keeper. You say it made no difference to the result. It's therefore a non point. Let it go mate. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SKD said:

Ironically, the man who was banging on about agendas all evening has started an argument over a mute point because of an agenda. 

Always being on the beers isn’t great for the SWF

Cheap shot

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

Jesus wept.They’ve got a £40m centre back who Would get into most others teams in europe As fourth choice. Yet they don’t really rotate their keeper 

Just now, Turkish said:

I never said it had anything to do with tonight’s result. I’m really not sure why you’re saying it is.  Simple Point is look back through history and in general teams who are successful with best defensive records pick the same keeper and centre backs every week. Of course there will anomalies to this like a team who can afford a £40m centre back as fourth choice. 

And conveniently have a very good attack to bail them out as well. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Fuck me, this is tedious. I haven't got a clue what your point is and I don't think you do!! Yep, he changed the keeper. You say it made no difference to the result. It's therefore a non point. Let it go mate. 

My point was that i find it odd he changes the keeper every game, no real point to be honest a throw away comment about my opinion. 

Always took offence and you’ve carried it on. Read back through, if you don’t like it, just ignore it. As you said, you’re arguing for the sake of it👍🏻

Edited by SKD
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I thought Obafemi looked decent when he came on, especially given his long lay off. Is it me or has he filled out, he looked a big unit to me or has he always been like that ? 

I feel like he always been a bit of unit. He is dead short though so I think it amplifies the effect some what.

• Like 2

Having watched the Man C v Chelsea match just before ours, the gulf in class was a stark reminder of just how poor we have become. Yet again we ran around frantically like decapitated chickens in a hurry to go nowhere. Our front line with the embarrassing exception of Tella would struggle to create anything worthwhile in the Championship let alone in this league. True to form they created precisely the square root of BA last night. They were so poor that our defence and midfield had to resort to passing sideways and backwards just to keep the ball for a while to relieve the pressure on themselves. They knew full well that any ball into a forward would be lost and the Scousers would be back on them again immediately.

The less said about Theo's performance the better. Has he changed his mind about ending his career here? More showings like this and management will be coming to the same conclusion. As for Adams & Redmond... (expletives deleted).

So if we end up at 17th, where does that leave us next season? The odd newcomer this summer is hardly going to produce the root and branch overhaul of this squad that is so sorely needed.

The lack of success of any of our teams A, B or U18 surely must be creating such a toxically negative culture around Staplewood that one is beginning to wonder if we will ever win another match certainly under this set-up. How many players will just want out to get away from it all this summer? Those that can probably will.

It is a mystery to me that a manager with such little success on the field still enjoys almost deity status off it. Time to clip his wings, he has too much power in the club. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman
Calmed down a bit!