Liverpool 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That's my main concern for next season, even if Ings stays, can we rely on him to stay fit?

That's my fear, think we need another forward even if Ings stays, but I know that won't happen.

If we lose ings though and try and be clever/cheap with a replacement, then we're done for. 

Just now, Chapel End said:

Who is the goalkeepers partner.🤣

You are on about the back 4 mate, idiot.

You do post some shyte.

So a goal keeper doesn’t have a partnership with his back 4 and / or Cb’s no? 

Name another team that changes their keeper every game? It doesn’t happen. 

You’re arguing a mute point I made about finding something weird, which it is because we’re the only team who do it. put the beers down and go to bed mate. 

7 minutes ago, Forester said:

We miss Ings’ conversion of chances big time.

turns shit performances into great results. Even Ings has missed a few this season though. Need to score more goals, but at same time we need to be tighter by not having fullbacks bombing on an leaving us exposed to breaks as has been the case this season.

• Like 1

One of our best performances this year, but still ultimately toothless.

Walcott, Adams and Redmond were all pish. I'm sorry but Walcott doesnt deserve a contract with us. Another abject performance, just like 90% of his time here. 

Whats most frustrating is that we lack any urgency. Not the first time that we're trailing with 10 minutes to go and still passing it sidewards and backwards to create space. Im sorry but there comes a time when you need to be more direct to try and get something from the game. The fannying about with it ultimately got KWP caught and the games done.

Positives wise, thought everybody bar the players above did well. Tella was easily our best attacking player. He continues to impress and asks questions of the defence, yet still hes the first player hooked off 🤷🏽‍♂️. Vestergaard was superb as well. So composed on the ball, finding the passes long or between the lines, but was rock solid defensively. 

If we get Ings back for the remaining games and play like we did today, we'll pick up at least 2 wins from our last 4 games. Staying positive

• Like 1

Just now, SKD said:

So a goal keeper doesn’t have a partnership with his back 4 and / or Cb’s no? 

Name another team that changes their keeper every game? It doesn’t happen. 

You’re arguing a mute point I made about finding something weird, which it is because we’re the only team who do it. put the beers down and go to bed mate. 

Hahaha,

You mention partnerships in the back four.

Losing the plot mush 

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

Hahaha,

You mention partnerships in the back four.

Losing the plot mush 

Well done I pressed 4 rather than 5 when typing. 

Point still stands. The best teams have a consistent KEEPER and back 4/5. 

now go away you weirdo. 

6 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Consider the dross we served up at Newcastle, Leeds and WBA and then the pretty decent performance today at Anfield .. it makes not a jot of difference - net result no points.

Couldn't agree more, lots of ifs and buts,  but ultimately no points, again.  Getting better, improving etc are things we should have done long before now. 

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Im sorry but there comes a time when you need to be more direct to try and get something from the game. The fannying about with it ultimately got KWP caught and the games done.

what does `more direct' look like? smash it long and hope to pick up the pieces? Perhaps you are right, but we could do with a Pelle or Lambert to make that work.

Just now, SKD said:

now go away you weirdo. 

Chelsea have swapped theirs about a fair bit since Tuchel took over, but its a good point. Is Ralf working out who he wants to keep?

Just now, SKD said:

now go away you weirdo. 

We are not one of the best teams.

Back tracking again. 

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Think Ramadan might be a factor.

KWP got caught in possession and from then on we were in big trouble. Not really the CBs fault for that goal.

Need a striker. Not sure its on the cards though unless Ings goes.

I find it amazing a PL club allow an elite athlete put his performance at risk but not fuelling and hydrating properly before a game. 

Religion or not, it’s ludicrous. 

1 minute ago, Micky said:

Getting better, improving etc are things we should have done long before now. 

Absolutely. We got all our players back and there was no improvement at all. Would be good to finish the season with three wins to at least give us some hope for next season.

8 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Who is the goalkeepers partner.🤣

You are on about the back 4 mate, idiot.

You do post some shyte.

He’s talking about the defensive unit as a whole. Not his fault you didn’t under the point. He’s right, the changing of keeper is odd, unless it’s to give them both a chance to stake a claim for first choice next season. The best teams have a settle keeper and back four, which is the point being made 

• Like 2

We are not one of the best teams.

Back tracking again. 

More great analysis from you Always.

I find it weird, you don’t. Who cares it was a mute point Now leave me alone so the grown ups can talk 👍🏻

Vestergaard at fault for both goals - perhaps it is time to look to the future and give salisu a run of games with bednarek.

It's clear that we desperately need someone who's a bit more prolific up front, someone who drives midfield if romeu isnt playing and some full back cover - although Stephens had a decent enough game today.

A better performance and if we play like that against palace we should get some points.

Hopefully the summer will bring some improvement, but I'm not particularly hopeful for next season.

Just now, Turkish said:

He’s talking about the defensive unit as a whole. Not his fault you didn’t under the point. He’s right, the changing of keeper is odd, unless it’s to give them both a chance to stake a claim for first choice next season. The best teams have a settle keeper and back four, which is the point being made 

Either that or both or being put in the shop window to see if they attract any bids

Just now, Turkish said:

He is giving both a chance and has said so in interview.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Either that or both or being put in the shop window to see if they attract any bids

Probably right. The trouble is, they’re both pretty average so we would have been better the keep the mystery and Celtic performances of Forster. 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

what does `more direct' look like? smash it long and hope to pick up the pieces? Perhaps you are right, but we could do with a Pelle or Lambert to make that work.

Not Wimbledon style hoof ball as we dont have the height/physicality for that, but bypassing the midfield with balls to the strikers feet/chest and working off that. Getting the wingers wide and stretching the pitch too. Theres plenty of things to do other than sidewards, sidewards, backwards and then recycling it back to the keeper.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think that game has shown us that we shouldn't be considering Walcott as a permanent signing

Amen to that. He’s learnt the square root of fuck all since he left us, years of football and he’s still headless chicken only now he doesn’t have the pace to bail him out. 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

More great analysis from you Always.

I find it weird, you don’t. Who cares it was a mute point Now leave me alone so the grown ups can talk 👍🏻

When you stop posting crap I will, but there is little chance of that is there

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Doesn’t make SKDs point incorrect though 

Ironically, the man who was banging on about agendas all evening has started an argument over a mute point because of an agenda. 

Always being on the beers isn’t great for the SWF

1 minute ago, SKD said:

I find it amazing a PL club allow an elite athlete put his performance at risk but not fuelling and hydrating properly before a game. 

Religion or not, it’s ludicrous. 

I'm not religious at all, so playing devils advocate here a bit, but are you saying that he should put his job before religion?

3 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Vestergaard at fault for both goals - perhaps it is time to look to the future and give salisu a run of games with bednarek.

It's clear that we desperately need someone who's a bit more prolific up front, someone who drives midfield if romeu isnt playing and some full back cover - although Stephens had a decent enough game today.

A better performance and if we play like that against palace we should get some points.

Hopefully the summer will bring some improvement, but I'm not particularly hopeful for next season.

You sniffing glue?

Just now, Chapel End said:

When you stop posting crap I will, but there is little chance of that is there

“I don’t care what you post” 

That comment hasn’t worked out well for you has it 😂😂😂

Performance was good.

Tactical approach was good.

Effort and commitment was good.

Only things that can be faulted are defending for the first goal and lack of clinical final ball/finishing. Unfortunately those are the difference makers.

• Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

I'm not religious at all, so playing devils advocate here a bit, but are you saying that he should put his job before religion?

In extreme circumstances, like being a 10-20m asset, I think it wouldn’t be unfair to suggest he should. 

My opinion of course. 

Also, As I understand it, most clubs train on Christmas Day.... I suppose that’s putting the job before religion. 

2 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not Wimbledon style hoof ball as we dont have the height/physicality for that, but bypassing the midfield with balls to the strikers feet/chest and working off that. Getting the wingers wide and stretching the pitch too. Theres plenty of things to do other than sidewards, sidewards, backwards and then recycling it back to the keeper.

fair point, but maybe its not easy to get that ball to strikers feet with a direct ball with CMs in front and defenders tight etc. We certainly should stick it in the mixer a bit more right at the death of games.

2 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Makes it an opinion 

The fact I said ‘I find it odd’ would suggest it was exactly that. 

you’ve tried to dig me out (agenda) and made yourself look silly. 

I thought we played pretty well. We looked like we had a game plan and a coherent strategy, something we’ve lacked lately. We were set up properly and defensively we were good. Far far better than some of the shitshows we’ve seen this year. That’s the way to play against top sides, not the basket ball game we tried against City. 

Back 4 and keeper played ok, maybe could have done better with first goal, but otherwise they did ok. Stephens again did ok. I know he’s a whipping boy, but I can’t see many 4th choice centre halves in a bottom half team, doing as well at full back.

Armstrong was excellent in midfield, I really like him in the middle. He carries the ball, something OR and Prowse don’t do. Prowse had his best game for a while.

Tella, did ok for a raw nipper. Still a long way to go, but he’s got something. 

Now to the disappointments. Redmond in the second half, Walcott and Adams. 

I also thought Obafemi looked like a proper striker when he came on. Only a short cameo, but he looked sharp with decent positional sense. 

All in all, we probably didn’t quite do enough to deserve a point. But with a bit of luck we could of got one. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, maysie said:

@Chapel End, @SKD

Stop please just stop. You're bromance is the most annoying thing in the forum currently

I agree. The trouble is, chapel end, like his previous user name, always resorts to personal Insults. 

It’s a shame. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

dont City change their back four every single game?

Stones / Dias have regularly been the ones who have played and they’ve been more solid as a result. 

They changed it today and lost. 

• Like 1

We do but I dont think Ralph knows his best keeper so is trying both hoping to find out

Which would have been a very suitable response to my post rather than going off on some weird insult. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I thought we played pretty well. We looked like we had a game plan and a coherent strategy, something we’ve lacked lately. We were set up properly and defensively we were good. Far far better than some of the shitshows we’ve seen this year. That’s the way to play against top sides, not the basket ball game we tried against City. 

Back 4 and keeper played ok, maybe could have done better with first goal, but otherwise they did ok. Stephens again did ok. I know he’s a whipping boy, but I can’t see many 4th choice centre halves in a bottom half team, doing as well at full back.

Armstrong was excellent in midfield, I really like him in the middle. He carries the ball, something OR and Prowse don’t do. Prowse had his best game for a while.

Tella, did ok for a raw nipper. Still a long way to go, but he’s got something. 

Now to the disappointments. Redmond in the second half, Walcott and Adams. 

I also thought Obafemi looked like a proper striker when he came on. Only a short cameo, but he looked sharp with decent positional sense. 

All in all, we probably didn’t quite do enough to deserve a point. But with a bit of luck we could of got one. 

Agree with this, for the first time in a while the players looked like they knew what they were supposed to be doing. 

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Nice to see Obafemi back. He looked a decent option. Hopefully whatever went wrong previously, the time away makes him more determined to really push on.

He did look sharp and with limited funds he may be our options next season too.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

dont City change their back four every single game?

City are probably the exception because they are the only team in Europe with a second eleven as good as their first choice. They don’t rotate their keeper every week though and also look at how they performed without Kompany in his prime. Look back through history the best teams always had a keeper and two centre backs who only didn’t get picked if they were injured or suspended