Alan McLoughlin

Turkish

our first million pound signing has sadly passed away from cancer at just 54 years old. 

Very talented player who like a lot of big money Saints signings we never saw the best of. Was very good for Swindon and Portsmouth but never reached those heights for us. Sounds like he had been battling cancer for a long time. 

Very sad, RIP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Sad news.

Remember him at Swindon he was scoring goals for fun. We signed him for a million to go along side Barry Horne IIRC and he was, not the best, shall we say.

I can remember being excited as our first million pound man and could not pronounce his name in the playground 

Sad news. As others have said, he came him with great expectations as he was our first million pound player but for whatever reason never lived up to those expectations with us. Did well elsewhere though and for the Republic of Ireland. RIP

1 hour ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Sad news.

Remember him at Swindon he was scoring goals for fun. We signed him for a million to go along side Barry Horne IIRC and he was, not the best, shall we say.

I can remember being excited as our first million pound man and could not pronounce his name in the playground 

Very sad news, saw it had spread but so so young.

Classic Saints - paid relatively big money - come onto that in a minute - and played the signing out of position. This article confirms what I recall, which was that he was wasted on the left. Then Branfoot arrived and as someone who could actually play football he had no chance. Sold him to the Fish Counter for £400k IIRC which was a loss on his £700k fee.

He was listed as a £1m signing but typical of the Askham era, the club seemed reluctant to select him for a 30th game so Swindon got the final £300k. Better to take a £300k loss than allow a talented player to shine, let’s back the club’s joint worst manager ever (with Pellegrino) instead with more of his favourite players from divisions 3 and 4. Typical backwater thinking, can’t even blame Les Reed. Speedie and Dixon were to follow...

https://www.saintsplayers.co.uk/player/alan-mcloughlin/

Edited by saint1977

56 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Classic Saints - paid relatively big money - come onto that in a minute - and played the signing out of position. This article confirms what I recall, which was that he was wasted on the left. Then Branfoot arrived and as someone who could actually play football he had no chance. Sold him to the Fish Counter for £400k IIRC which was a loss on his £700k fee.

He was listed as a £1m signing but typical of the Askham era, the club seemed reluctant to select him for a 30th game so Swindon got the final £300k. Better to take a £300k loss than allow a talented player to shine, let’s back the club’s joint worst manager ever (with Pellegrino) instead with more of his favourite players from divisions 3 and 4. Typical backwater thinking, can’t even blame Les Reed. Speedie and Dixon were to follow...

That’s how I remember it. Good player but his best position was as a central attacking midfielder what they’d now call a number 10. we signed him for a lot of money back then and stuck him left midfield. Like you say Branfoot came in and he had no chance. 

Too young to remember him at Saints, but remember his equalising goal against us (Northern Ireland) which took the Republic to USA 94. Arguably the most hostile game of football ever and he was the sub that stood up when it mattered. RIP Alan.

The Echo are still not reporting this, as if it isn’t like they are a current news outlet or anything. 
Saints first million pound player, lived locally, shows you how crap they are now. 
pas others have said, a lot of pressure on him when Arkham opened his biscuit tin at long last and never really performed that brilliantly but listening to him on Solent, sounded like a decent guy despite being resigned to play for them. 

17 hours ago, saint1977 said:

The Saints Players piece is a good read. I had high hopes for AM. Very sad news at such a young age.

14 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Too young to remember him at Saints, but remember his equalising goal against us (Northern Ireland) which took the Republic to USA 94. Arguably the most hostile game of football ever and he was the sub that stood up when it mattered. RIP Alan.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

You might like this.

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

The Echo are still not reporting this, as if it isn’t like they are a current news outlet or anything. 
Saints first million pound player, lived locally, shows you how crap they are now. 
pas others have said, a lot of pressure on him when Arkham opened his biscuit tin at long last and never really performed that brilliantly but listening to him on Solent, sounded like a decent guy despite being resigned to play for them. 

Pretty sure it was McLoughlin there was a bit of controversy around his testimonial a few years ago. Six months or so later he hadn't seen a penny from Pompey. Their chairman got quizzed about it and made some excuse like McLaughlin hadn't decided how he wanted the money paid to him. Rumours (unfounded) doing the round was they were skint so had spent the money planning to pay him later. No idea if it was true or not but it certainly made the chairman look very uncomfortable when asked about it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

Pretty sure it was McLoughlin there was a bit of controversy around his testimonial a few years ago. Six months or so later he hadn't seen a penny from Pompey. Their chairman got quizzed about it and made some excuse like McLaughlin hadn't decided how he wanted the money paid to him. Rumours (unfounded) doing the round was they were skint so had spent the money planning to pay him later. No idea if it was true or not but it certainly made the chairman look very uncomfortable when asked about it.

If that is true, and you would suspect it is, given their track record, that's about as low as you get. That money would have been a big difference to his life changing circumstances, younger people on here have to realise that whilst footballers were always paid well of course, it was nothing like the disparity you see now.

• Like 1

Tragic news, especially at a young age. 

Felt sorry for him after joining us. Saw him paly for Swindon and he looked excellent, really making things spark for them playing a free role. On joining us he was given a wide and restricted role which prevented him from imposing himself on the game. 

• Like 1

My first memory of him was He scored a great goal for Swindon when we beat them 4-2 after extra time in the league cup in about 1990 he beat a couple of players and score to Put them a goal up, they went in at half time 2-0 Up. their goalkeeper was having a blinder. Saints scored early in the second half the shearer and Ruddock came on both playing up front. We equalised then scored two more in extra time, the first a cracking Le Tissier free kick. The dell was rocking, brilliant night game, packed with full away end, pitch invasions after goals and at the end, one of the best games and atmospheres I can remember.

just found some footage  

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

My first memory of him was He scored a great goal for Swindon when we beat them 4-2 after extra time in the league cup in about 1990 he beat a couple of players and score to Put them a goal up, they went in at half time 2-0 Up. their goalkeeper was having a blinder. Saints scored early in the second half the shearer and Ruddock came on both playing up front. We equalised then scored two more in extra time, the first a cracking Le Tissier free kick. The dell was rocking, brilliant night game, packed with full away end, pitch invasions after goals and at the end, one of the best games and atmospheres I can remember.

just found some footage  

That was ‘one of those great nights at The Dell’. I distinctly remember a mate had put some money on us winning the treble that year, yeah I know, but we were so hot. At halt time we were taking the piss but he was laughing at the end. My favourite season without a doubt. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

just found some footage  

Very sad news regarding Alan McLoughlin, 54 is no age. 

Lovely video above, great goal from Alan and a reminder of a 4-2-4 with Wallace, Rideout, Shearer and MLT