The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

15 minutes ago, egg said:

The grafitti in the mural was "Rashford shit in a bucket" and "Fuck Sancho". 

That is unpleasant but not racist. My issue is a) the dishonest misrepresentation of the defacing, and b) people's willingness to assume its racist without asking what was actually written

The other stuff I've seen posted on here from social media is blatantly racist and I hope that the perpetrators are dealt with. 

From the Evening Standard link that I posted above.

mural in honour of Marcus Rashford was defaced within hours of his missed penalty in the Euro 2020 final in what police are treating as a racist incident.

The word “F***” was scrawled over the huge artwork of the England footballer, painted on the side of a cafe in Copson Street in Withington, south Manchester.

The words “shit” and “bastard” were also graffitied beside the word “Saka”, the 19-year-old player whose final penalty miss gave Italy victory.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

The police will be investigating whether it was racially motivated because the context means it’s possible it was.

They’ll most likely find there isn’t evidence to say it was, unless they catch the person that did it somehow and find they’ve got a history for it.

I don’t get why that particularly matters though, it’s not like one incident of abuse not being racially motivated makes all the stuff that was racially motivated magically go away.

Course it matters. We've had 3 days of being told how racist the country is, BLM demonstrations next to the mural and then reports that it was racist. Yet there doenst seem to be any evidence whatsoever that's the case. What are people seeing that i'm missing?

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Every other word on the black background showing up fine apart from the racist ones, it seems 

Yep, funny how they changed the colour to make sure the racist stuff couldn't be seen. Ridiculous stuff from aintclever, as usual.

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I havn't assumed anything, you are the one assuming there is not small graffiti. 

So they wrote all the none racist stuff in big writing with blue, all the racist stuff they wrote small in black so no one could see it 🤣

Edited by Turkish

Just now, Turkish said:

So they wrote all the none racist stuff in big writing with blue, all the racist stuff they wrote small in black so no one could see it 🤣

Why don't you ask the plod, they are the ones treating it as a racist incident.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Yep, funny how they changed the colour to make sure the racist stuff couldn't be seen. Ridiculous stuff from aintclever, as usual.

Very cunning these closet racists, secretly writing the racist stuff in invisible ink so only they can see it.  They do this because they really, really, really don't want to draw any attention to the racist stuff and don't want any attention.

Course it matters. We've had 3 days of being told how racist the country is, BLM demonstrations next to the mural and then reports that it was racist. Yet there doenst seem to be any evidence whatsoever that's the case. What are people seeing that i'm missing?

There doesn't have to be any evidence for it to be considered a hate crime. The definition below is from The Metropolitan Police and was controversial at the time this policy was introduced.

What is Hate Crime?

Hate crimes and hate incidents

In most crimes it is something the victim has in their possession or control that motivates the offender to commit the crime. With hate crime it is ‘who’ the victim is, or ‘what’ the victim appears to be that motivates the offender to commit the crime.

A hate crime is defined as 'Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.'

A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but it is equally important that these are reported and recorded by the police.

Evidence of the hate element is not a requirement. You do not need to personally perceive the incident to be hate related. It would be enough if another person, a witness or even a police officer thought that the incident was hate related.

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

Because there’s not. Unless they were using a biro or invisible paint. Take a look for yourself. 

D5544226-3B8F-4AE9-9E7C-FBD616C484DD.jpeg

The limited amount to be read there as far as I can make out is "Fuck Sancho " , his name rather than a racial slur, a drawing of a knob, and 'something, something bastard'.

Unless the 'something something' is more racially 'charged' not sure this is a racist incident in itself, the internet things shown is a different matter of course. 

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

There doesn't have to be any evidence for it to be considered a hate crime. The definition below is from The Metropolitan Police and was controversial at the time this policy was introduced.

What is Hate Crime?

Hate crimes and hate incidents

In most crimes it is something the victim has in their possession or control that motivates the offender to commit the crime. With hate crime it is ‘who’ the victim is, or ‘what’ the victim appears to be that motivates the offender to commit the crime.

A hate crime is defined as 'Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race; religion or perceived religion; sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation; disability or perceived disability and any crime motivated by hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender.'

A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

Not all hate incidents will amount to criminal offences, but it is equally important that these are reported and recorded by the police.

Evidence of the hate element is not a requirement. You do not need to personally perceive the incident to be hate related. It would be enough if another person, a witness or even a police officer thought that the incident was hate related.

Surely the motivation here is that a player missed a penalty then? Ergo, not a hate crime.

Well, racism certainly occurred, whether or not this particular case was racially motivated or not. Trying to make the entire argument about racist abuse focus on whether one particular instance was racist or not is just a distraction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57848106
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57848761

Protests against that need some physical location to occur. It’s not surprising the mural was chosen for it consider the media focus on it the last few days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Why don't you ask the plod, they are the ones treating it as a racist incident.

From the evidence you’ve seen, Do you believe this is a racist incident? 

If not, do you feel like treating this (I.e any abuse directed at a black man) as racist is a slippery slope? 

If it comes out that there was a racist comments in the small print, I’ll happily apologise. I don’t believe there was though and I don’t believe this was racially motivated. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Well, racism certainly occurred, whether or not this particular case was racially motivated or not. Trying to make the entire argument about racist abuse focus on whether one particular instance was racist or not is just a distraction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57848106
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57848761

Protests against that need some physical location to occur. It’s not surprising the mural was chosen for it consider the media focus on it the last few days.

I’ve also seen videos of a white man getting beaten up, pretty badly, buy 3 Somalian blokes (had a Somalian flag on the snap chat) singing it’s coming home to torment him. 

I’ve also seen videos of black men singing ‘give it to the black guy, he’ll score’. 

so yes, racism did occur, there are mindless idiots of all shape, size and colour. 

does it need to be front page news? No.

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Again, that's just something you've made up to confirm your bias.

Show any statement from GMP that shows that....

Just repeating what Whitey posted...

mural in honour of Marcus Rashford was defaced within hours of his missed penalty in the Euro 2020 final in what police are treating as a racist incident.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

I’ve also seen videos of a white man getting beaten up, pretty badly, buy 3 Somalian blokes (had a Somalian flag on the snap chat) singing it’s coming home to torment him. 

I’ve also seen videos of black men singing ‘give it to the black guy, he’ll score’. 

so yes, racism did occur, there are mindless idiots of all shape, size and colour. 

does it need to be front page news? No.

Society is deciding that it’s something they want to change.

If you don’t want it to be front page news I’m afraid you’re likely to be disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

If you don’t want it to be front page news I’m afraid you’re likely to be disappointed.

On a wider perspective, do you think that bringing such debates onto the 'front page' is going to improve matters? Or will it be counter-productive?

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You still haven't answered why something that aside from the hidden racist abuse which was deliberately written in the same colour as the bricks and really small so no one could see, there is no evidence whatsoever this was racially motivated. So why are they treating it as a racist incident?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

As I said, common sense has gone. 

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I thought they said they were investigating it as a racially motivated incident , I haven't heard what they concluded yet.

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Just because the police are treating it as such does not of itself mean that it was done by a racist. Jus that someone, anyone, anywhere, has considered it to be such a thing.By their definition such person could be anywhere in the world, of any political persuasion, and could be seeking to foment disruption.

You still haven't answered why something that aside from the hidden racist abuse which was deliberately written in the same colour as the bricks and really small so no one could see, there is no evidence whatsoever this was racially motivated. So why are they treating it as a racist incident?

Because they think that they should based on their guidelines.

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

On a wider perspective, do you think that bringing such debates onto the 'front page' is going to improve matters? Or will it be counter-productive?

See my post on the previous page for a fuller answer, but yes, I don’t see it creating division that wasn’t already there, but instead dragging it out to where it can be confronted.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

From the Evening Standard link that I posted above.

The word “F***” was scrawled over the huge artwork of the England footballer, painted on the side of a cafe in Copson Street in Withington, south Manchester.

The words “shit” and “bastard” were also graffitied beside the word “Saka”, the 19-year-old player whose final penalty miss gave Italy victory.

Yep, unpleasant, but not racist. The risk here is perceived context, ie an assumption that as the victim is black that there is a racial element notwithstanding the lack of any actual racism. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I don’t get why that particularly matters though, it’s not like one incident of abuse not racially motivated makes all the stuff that was racially motivated magically go away.

Spot on but all we have here are a bunch of white guys saying, “I haven’t heard/seen any racism so it either doesn’t or isn’t a big deal”.

Do these same people demand to see dead bodies after a murder? I mean, how do we know someone was murdered? 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Spot on but all we have here are a bunch of white guys saying, “I haven’t heard/seen any racism so it either doesn’t or isn’t a big deal”.

Do these same people demand to see dead bodies after a murder? I mean, how do we know someone was murdered? 

White guys??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

See my post on the previous page for a fuller answer, but yes, I don’t see it creating division that wasn’t already there, but instead dragging it out to where it can be confronted.

Personally I don't see that confrontation will change many entrenched views. Unfortunately it is going to take several lifetimes of integration and accommodation before people can be accepted for who they are rather than what they are. I have seen many changes in my lifetime but there is a long way to go. In my view the BBC is as racially provocative as any organisation. I have listened to radio programmes involving interesting and distinguished guests but it is only a matter of a short time until the subject of their colour is brought up. On the radio this is Why?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

So, far better to pretend it doesn’t exist, ignore it, and let them get on with being racist in peace?

Daft comments like that don't help. People aren't saying that. The point many are making is that racism does exist and shouldn't, but that giving it the airtime that we are isn't helping the situation. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how continuing to do what isn't working eill stop racists being racist and doing racist stuff. There's doing something, and there's doing something that works. 

Just now, egg said:

Daft comments like that don't help. People aren't saying that. The point many are making is that racism does exist and shouldn't, but that giving it the airtime that we are isn't helping the situation. I'm still waiting for someone to explain how continuing to do what isn't working eill stop racists being racist and doing racist stuff. There's doing something, and there's doing something that works. 

See my post on the previous page.

Shame that this discussion has gone off on a tangent relating to the very specific language that was used in some grafitti.  Some media outlets have described it as racially motivated (The Independent, NY Times, etc), some haven't (The BBC).  Some posters on here think it is racially motivated and some struggle with that as even a possibility.  They can't all be right, some have made a mistake.

Regardless of which media outlet is right and what the 'truth' is, there is no doubting that the three players that missed penalties received racially motivated abuse.  Any attempt to deflect from that by analysing the minutiae of the grafitti text is IMO just looking to deminish the bigger issue.

Also, @Jimmy_D - you have nailed this whole discussion, and your post on the previous page about making the use of racist language less and less acceptable is just about perfect!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Shame that this discussion has gone off on a tangent relating to the very specific language that was used in some grafitti.  Some media outlets have described it as racially motivated (The Independent, NY Times, etc), some haven't (The BBC).  Some posters on here think it is racially motivated and some struggle with that as even a possibility.  They can't all be right, some have made a mistake.

Regardless of which media outlet is right and what the 'truth' is, there is no doubting that the three players that missed penalties received racially motivated abuse.  Any attempt to deflect from that by analysing the minutiae of the grafitti text is IMO just looking to deminish the bigger issue.

Also, @Jimmy_D - you have nailed this whole discussion, and your post on the previous page about making the use of racist language less and less acceptable is just about perfect!!

Excellent post!

You most likely cannot change a racist, what we have to do is empower people to not just stand by and let it happen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, egg said:

The assumption that everything is racist too makes people who aren't racist be accused of it. Look at here, dare to question anything, dare to suggest that BLM and huge outpouring about everything isn't the answer and you're rounded on as being a racist or racist sympathiser. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The assumption that everything is racist too makes people who aren't racist be accused of it. Look at here, dare to question anything, dare to suggest that BLM and huge outpouring about everything isn't the answer and you're rounded on as being a racist or racist sympathiser. 

Who in this thread called you a racist?

58 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I thought they said they were investigating it as a racially motivated incident , I haven't heard what they concluded yet.

As per the statement aintclever linked to, they stated it was 'reported' as racially aggravated damage.

They haven't, to my knowledge, declared what they are investigating and how they are treating it.

If only they would investigate grafitti in my local area with such gusto ;) 

9 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So no one then? 

So are you more worried about being accused of being a racist or racism itself?

Like I’d said read the thread. You’ll see. 
I couldn’t give a shit what the mugs on here think of me. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy_D said:

So, far better to pretend it doesn’t exist, ignore it, and let them get on with being racist in peace?

Nope. Reaction in proportion. 

Report on the positives on and off the pitch which far outweighs the negatives cause by a tiny minority of idiots. As per. 

ive pointed out 2 racist incidents cause by black men. One of which is far, far worse than a few emojis from a fake account online. Yet they get no publicity.

Edited by SKD

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Like I’d said read the thread. You’ll see. 
I couldn’t give a shit what the mugs on here think of me. 

So you believe that “mugs” on here are implying you are racist without actually saying it, but you don’t believe that black England players were targeted with racist abuse without seeing the evidence. Got it.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So you believe that “mugs” on here are implying you are racist without actually saying it, but you don’t believe that black England players were targeted with racist abuse without seeing the evidence. Got it.

Who’s said they weren’t? They were by a handful of idiots. 

the graffiti on the mural wasn’t racist though. 

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

No one has said that!

It has been said the grafitti on the mural wasn't racist.

It's also been recognised and agreed unanimously that black England players have received racist abuse on social media.  It's also been unanimously agreed that the individuals that have done that are a bunch of mindless morons.

You are conflating two seperate issues incorrectly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SKD said:

Who’s said they weren’t? They were by a handful of idiots. 

the graffiti on the mural wasn’t racist though. 

How do you know what their motivation was? Just because they didn’t write anything inherently racist doesn’t mean that the vandalism wasn’t racially motivated. 

If say an Indian family’s store had a brick thrown through the window, the attack could be said to be racially motivated even though there wasn’t anything written on the store in graffiti. Perhaps witnesses heard the vandals using racist language while writing on the Rashford mural. Perhaps the police have more information than they are reporting. 

In any case, pedantry about what constitutes racist and what doesn’t only detracts from an issue that needs to be addressed so that kids growing up see that it is wrong and that calling out and denouncing racism is appropriate. People aren’t born racist, they learn it from others.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

How do you know what their motivation was? Just because they didn’t write anything inherently racist doesn’t mean that the vandalism wasn’t racially motivated. 

If say an Indian family’s store had a brick thrown through the window, the attack could be said to be racially motivated even though there wasn’t anything written on the store in graffiti. Perhaps witnesses heard the vandals using racist language while writing on the Rashford mural. Perhaps the police have more information than they are reporting. 

In any case, pedantry about what constitutes racist and what doesn’t only detracts from an issue that needs to be addressed so that kids growing up see that it is wrong and that calling out and denouncing racism is appropriate. People aren’t born racist, they learn it from others.

Of course I don’t know the motive, however, I’d say because they missed the penalty is a pretty solid guess. 

After all, Mings, Sterling, Walker, DCL didn’t get any abuse on it, did they… 

• Like 1