Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

To lighten the mood a bit, created this thread for all things Euro2020 (not just Saints @ Euro 2020)

Let have some predictions...

 

Winners:

Runners Up:

Scotland get knocked out at:

Wales get knocked out at:

England get knocked out at:

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): 

Top Goalscorer:

UEFA Best Player:

UEFA Best Young Player:

Edited by Saint Garrett
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's mine:

 

Winners:  France

Runners Up:  Spain

Scotland get knocked out at: Last 16

Wales get knocked out at:  Group Stage

England get knocked out at: Last 16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer:  Lukaku

UEFA Best Player:  Mbappe

UEFA Best Young Player: Ferran Torres

Edited by Saint Garrett
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France

Runners Up: Portugal

Scotland get knocked out at: Group Stages

Wales get knocked out at: Group Stages

England get knocked out at: Quarter finals at best

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Poland

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: Kante

UEFA Best Young Player: Doku

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France

Runners Up: Italy

Scotland get knocked out at: Last 16

Wales get knocked out at: Group Stage

England get knocked out at: Quarter Finals, after jammily getting through games in the most boring manner imaginable. We get embarrassingly spanked to ultimate winners France. 

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Switzerland

Top Goalscorer: Griezmann

UEFA Best Player: De Bruyne

UEFA Best Young Player: Ferran Torres (Spain)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France 

Runners Up: Portugal 

Scotland get knocked out at: Group

Wales get knocked out at: Group 

England get knocked out at: R16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Denmark or Turkey 

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: Mbappe

UEFA Best Young Player: Foden (if England progress to QF)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France

Runners Up: Belgium

Scotland get knocked out at: Last 16

Wales get knocked out at: Last 16

England get knocked out at: Last 16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Denmark

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: Mbappe

UEFA Best Young Player: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: Portugal

Runners Up: France

Scotland get knocked out at: R16

Wales get knocked out at: R16

England get knocked out at: R16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal):  Denmark

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: Kante

UEFA Best Young Player: Nuno Mendes

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: Belgium

Runners Up: France

Scotland get knocked out at: Group Stage

Wales get knocked out at: Group Stage

England get knocked out at: Semi Finals, easy run where everyone gets hyped and then we finally face a decent side in France and they batter us 4-1 or something

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Denmark

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: De Bruyne

UEFA Best Young Player: Phil Foden (England)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners:  France

Runners Up: Belgium

Scotland get knocked out at: group

Wales get knocked out at: group

England get knocked out at: quarter finals

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal):  Denmark

Top Goalscorer: Mbappe

UEFA Best Player: De Bruyne 

UEFA Best Young Player:  Foden 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: Italy

Runners Up: Spain

Scotland get knocked out at: R16

Wales get knocked out at: Group

England get knocked out at: Quarter Final

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Memphis Depay

UEFA Best Player:  Lorenzo Insigne

UEFA Best Young Player: Ferran Torres 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France

Runners Up: Portugal

Scotland get knocked out at: Group Stage

Wales get knocked out at: Last 16

England get knocked out at: Quarter Finals

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Griezmann 

UEFA Best Player: Kante

UEFA Best Young Player: Ferran Torres

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: England

Runners Up: Germany

Scotland get knocked out at: Groups

Wales get knocked out at: Groups

England get knocked out at: Don't

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Mount

UEFA Best Player: Mount

UEFA Best Young Player: Mount

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

There seem to be more than the usual number of really strong teams this year. France and Belgium stand out of course, but Italy look better than they've been in years, Germany are Germany, ditto Spain. Portugal and England have some world class players (and for all his faults we have a manager who finally takes penalty shoot out preparations seriously - even though he was crap at it himself ... or maybe because he was).

On paper this should be a great tournament. It's going to take a very good, and/or very lucky, team to get past Kante and France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

There seem to be more than the usual number of really strong teams this year. France and Belgium stand out of course, but Italy look better than they've been in years, Germany are Germany, ditto Spain. Portugal and England have some world class players (and for all his faults we have a manager who finally takes penalty shoot out preparations seriously - even though he was crap at it himself ... or maybe because he was).

On paper this should be a great tournament. It's going to take a very good, and/or very lucky, team to get past Kante and France.

And if England win their group they get to play France Germany or Portugal (whoever is second )

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Winners: France

Runners Up: Portugal

Scotland get knocked out at: Group Stage

Wales get knocked out at: Last 16

England get knocked out at: Quarter Finals

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Griezmann 

UEFA Best Player: Kante

UEFA Best Young Player: Ferran Torres

This .. apart from top goal scorer mbappe young player foden 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: Italy

Runners Up: France

Scotland get knocked out at: Quarter Finals

Wales get knocked out at: Quarter Finals

England get knocked out at: Semi-Finals

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Poland

Top Goalscorer: Lewandowski

UEFA Best Player: Marco Verratti

UEFA Best Young Player: Joao Felix

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Picard said:

And if England win their group they get to play France Germany or Portugal (whoever is second )

Its pretty rough however we finish our group

Effectively we are odds on to meet France/Portugal I think

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

There seem to be more than the usual number of really strong teams this year. France and Belgium stand out of course, but Italy look better than they've been in years, Germany are Germany, ditto Spain. Portugal and England have some world class players (and for all his faults we have a manager who finally takes penalty shoot out preparations seriously - even though he was crap at it himself ... or maybe because he was).

On paper this should be a great tournament. It's going to take a very good, and/or very lucky, team to get past Kante and France.

Even a lot of the normally weaker teams seem to be stronger this time around - Turkey, Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Ukraine - could all reasonably cause an upset against one of the big boys.

Disagree with you on Germany though, I think they finish third in their group and will be lucky to get the best runners-up spots or whatever they're called.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, igsey said:

Even a lot of the normally weaker teams seem to be stronger this time around - Turkey, Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Ukraine - could all reasonably cause an upset against one of the big boys.

Disagree with you on Germany though, I think they finish third in their group and will be lucky to get the best runners-up spots or whatever they're called.

Germany always grind it out, I agree its probably their worst squad since we battered them 5-1 but they still seem to always do well. Which is the opposite of us really, who always seem to underperform.

Does seem a very strong tournament this year though, Portugal/France/Belgium are all very very strong and some of these smaller teams look good, I think you can add Denmark and Sweden to that list too, they have a solid chance to push on this year

Spain and Italy I'm not convinced with though, we'll see

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners:  Belgium

Runners Up: Portugal

Scotland get knocked out at: Group stage

Wales get knocked out at: Round of 16

England get knocked out at: Round of 16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player:  De Bruyne

UEFA Best Young Player:  Torres

Edited by Wurzel
Copy paste cock up
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France

Runners Up: Portugal

Scotland get knocked out at: Round of 16

Wales get knocked out at: Round of 16

England get knocked out at: Round of 16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Denmark

Top Goalscorer: Lukaku

UEFA Best Player: Mbappe

UEFA Best Young Player:  Havertz

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Germany always grind it out, I agree its probably their worst squad since we battered them 5-1 but they still seem to always do well. Which is the opposite of us really, who always seem to underperform.

Does seem a very strong tournament this year though, Portugal/France/Belgium are all very very strong and some of these smaller teams look good, I think you can add Denmark and Sweden to that list too, they have a solid chance to push on this year

Spain and Italy I'm not convinced with though, we'll see

They do find a way even with mediocre teams. The Germany we beat 5-1 went on to get to the final. And of course they never lose on penalties!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

They do find a way even with mediocre teams. The Germany we beat 5-1 went on to get to the final. And of course they never lose on penalties!

Euro 2000 we beat them and they finished bottom of the group. (We didn't do much better)

Euros just like world cups can throw up surprises......

Edited by CB Fry
Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: France 

Runners Up: Italy 

Scotland get knocked out at: Group

Wales get knocked out at: Group

England get knocked out at: Last 16

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Denmark 

Top Goalscorer: Insigne

UEFA Best Player: Kante

UEFA Best Young Player: Wijndal

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Euro 2000 we beat them and they finished bottom of the group. (We didn't do much better)

Euros just like world cups can throw up surprises......

Yes, outsiders can win Euros (Greece and Denmark come to mind). With Germany we know

  • they always qualify for a tournament
  • they never lose on penalties (since their very first one where they learnt their lesson)
  • they get to the semis or final an incredible number of times (even with mediocre teams), occasionally crashing out early with bad teams
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2021 at 07:53, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Winners: England

Runners Up: Germany

Scotland get knocked out at: Groups

Wales get knocked out at: Groups

England get knocked out at: Don't

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Turkey

Top Goalscorer: Mount

UEFA Best Player: Mount

UEFA Best Young Player: Mount

Do we beat Germany on penalties?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winners: 

Runners Up: 

Scotland get knocked out at: Round 16

Wales get knocked out at: Round 16

England get knocked out at: Qtrs

Dark Horse (Furthest a team gets excluding England, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal): Czech Rep

Top Goalscorer: Sergy Gnabry

UEFA Best Player: Sergy Gnabry

UEFA Best Young Player: Sergy Gnabry

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We do have a good national anthem, Land of Hope and Glory. If Scotland can drop God Save the Queen for Flower of Scotland, why can't England drop it too? It's the British national anthem, not the English one, and it is a boring dirge.

 

I'll be interested to see how the 35-year-old Lille striker, Burak Yilmaz, plays. With our current budget restrictions, and being in limbo until we get a new owner, he might be good for us next season. I emphasize 'with our limited budget because obviously there are a lot of younger and better strikers there but they all would cost at least £40 mill.

Edited by Nordic Saint
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

It’s never been the same for me if Pavarotti isn’t singing it. Best World Cup for anthems IMO Italia 90

Pavarotti was the greatest and will never be surpassed. I was lucky enough to see him sing Nessun Dorma live twice - absolutely spine tingling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We do have a good national anthem, Land of Hope and Glory. If Scotland can drop God Save the Queen for Flower of Scotland, why can't England drop it too? It's the British national anthem, not the English one, and it is a boring dirge.

‘I Vow to Thee My Country’ would get my vote.

If Bertrand/Wolves was a penalty, so was that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Watching those anthems just reminds me how sh*te and irrelevant ours is.

Oh fuck off with this one again. Blah blah Jerusalem blah blah Land of Hope and Gloryblah blah La Marseillaise. Every tournament 

You don’t just change national anthem and we boom it out with pride. Miles better than most of the dirge

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

‘I Vow to Thee My Country’ would get my vote.

If Bertrand/Wolves was a penalty, so was that.

Maybe do a Xfactor style vote and get One Direction to sing it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Real determination there from Italy to keep the clean sheet even at 3-0 with a minute to go. Winning mentality, forgotten what that’s like at SFC. Kept coming for more goals as well. Turkey were woeful but Italy a side to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whelk said:

Oh fuck off with this one again. Blah blah Jerusalem blah blah Land of Hope and Gloryblah blah La Marseillaise. Every tournament 

You don’t just change national anthem and we boom it out with pride. Miles better than most of the dirge

What about those of us who don't give two sh*ts about the queen?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good first game, though I was disappointed with Turkey - I was expecting more after the build up they were given, their defending was good but passing was shocking, giving it away immediately after winning it back almost every time.

The referee was first class. Wish we could have that in the Prem every week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

What about those of us who don't give two sh*ts about the queen?

Presumably that's the Welsh, Scots, and Northern Irish. None of them use the UK national anthem, despite the fact that none of them are separate nations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Presumably that's the Welsh, Scots, and Northern Irish. None of them use the UK national anthem, despite the fact that none of them are separate nations.

It's a bootlicker's anthem - they have the right idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})