The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Oh fuck off with this one again. Blah blah Jerusalem blah blah Land of Hope and Gloryblah blah La Marseillaise. Every tournament 

You don’t just change national anthem and we boom it out with pride. Miles better than most of the dirge

An anthem about God and the monarchy excludes alot of people. You don't need God or the monarchy to be patriotic towards the UK or England. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

An anthem about God and the monarchy excludes alot of people. You don't need God or the monarchy to be patriotic towards the UK or England. 

Agreed. There are plenty that don't believe in fairy tales or give a shit about the pointless royal family. Even if it had more relevant lyrics it would still be an awful tune, mind. 

Anyway, Italy made Turkey look very ordinary. So glad the tournament has started now!

• Like 1

Come up with one that is inclusive then?

Why are countries significant? Man made borders surely mean nothing to you? Some may have even been achieved in the name of religion. What about the word ‘Kingdom’ ? Surely that comes from a time of a monarchy?

No need to answer

• Like 1

And nice capital on ‘God’  - you are getting there.

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

Oh it’s a neutral anthem that appeals to the whole population you want? Good luck with that. 

It is a dirge with lyrics that mean very little to most people here in the 21st century.  When the Queen croaks they should replace it. I Vow To Thee My Country would do the trick. Cracking tune by Holst and it doesn’t deal with being reigned over by an unelected person who is glorified for being victorious and all the other baggage that comes with an outdated monarchy. What is God saving her from? She is going to die like everyone else and she has dealt with more family shit than many so no matter how many of us sing it, it hasn’t made a shred of difference to her circumstances. On his deathbed I would be surprised if Philip uttered the final words “at least I won’t have to listen to that dreadful dirge anymore”.

Anyway, more importantly Italy put on a cracking display last night although against a poor Turkey side. It begins at last.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Get angry about the national anthem, get angry about the knee, get angry about booing the knee, get angry about God, get angry and stop supporting England as JWP wasn’t picked.

enjoy the nice weather and the football you cunts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It is a dirge with lyrics that mean very little to most people here in the 21st century.  When the Queen croaks they should replace it. I Vow To Thee My Country would do the trick. Cracking tune by Holst and it doesn’t deal with being reigned over by an unelected person who is glorified for being victorious and all the other baggage that comes with an outdated monarchy. What is God saving her from? She is going to die like everyone else and she has dealt with more family shit than many so no matter how many of us sing it, it hasn’t made a shred of difference to her circumstances. On his deathbed I would be surprised if Philip uttered the final words “at least I won’t have to listen to that dreadful dirge anymore”.

Anyway, more importantly Italy put on a cracking display last night although against a poor Turkey side. It begins at last.

Surely there is some Islamic ditty we could embrace?

Fair bit of Welsh hype on the news this morning, all based on the assumption that their semi final run is going to be repeated (or even bettered).

Come on lads. I like Wales but you're out first round and we all know it.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Fair bit of Welsh hype on the news this morning, all based on the assumption that their semi final run is going to be repeated (or even bettered).

Given how bad Turkey looked Wales have a chance of getting through.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Given how bad Turkey looked Wales have a chance of getting through.

I don’t know anything about international/European football so when Shearer was going on about how they were his dark horses and all the stuff about young team etc etc I went along with it, quite excited by the prospect.

Not quite how it turned out. Oooof.

Although Italy were all over em.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

They're going to lose every game and go home in tears.

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Good to see you’re speaking on behalf of everyone again Mr self righteous 

1 minute ago, Chris cooper said:

Embolo for the Swiss looks like a rolls Royce of player .. who does he play for ? Proper athlete! Waltz through wales on more than one occasion so far .. 👌🏻

He plays for vestys old team in the bundesliga … tap him up jannik !

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

This is horrific. The camera was a bit close for a short while......

As soon as they panned in and saw how blank his eyes were they cut away. I hope to god I'm wrong, but he looked gone and there was a long, long time of them trying to resuscitate. 

1 minute ago, Delmary said:

Such terrible scenes. Disgusting and insensitive coverage by the BBC.

Not sure they could have done anything different, they were reacting in real time as were we. 

Sky news are worse...announced it as their top story and after a couple sentences moved onto the Wales highlights in a cheery voice.

One of the best places to collapse is the middle of a football stadium with all the professional help right there.

The fact that they couldn't get him inside the stadium away from the crowds suggests a very bad outcome.

Hug your family everyone.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Not sure they could have done anything different, they were reacting in real time as were we. 

Sky news are worse...announced it as their top story and after a couple sentences moved onto the Wales highlights in a cheery voice.

I looked on Twitter and so many getting angry at Pearce and BBC. Sad sign of our times that people want to pile on to someone at such a distressing time. 

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

One of the best places to collapse is the middle of a football stadium with all the professional help right there.

The fact that they couldn't get him inside the stadium away from the crowds suggests a very bad outcome.

Hug your family everyone.

Just a shame it was over the other side.  Just a few seconds, but you never know.  Heard the crowd roaring at the medics to get a move on...

3 minutes ago, Streaky said:

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

I looked on Twitter and so many getting angry at Pearce and BBC. Sad sign of our times that people want to pile on to someone at such a distressing time. 

Anger is a natural response when things like this happen. Try not to judge too harshly.

Edited by Toussaint

4 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Should call the tournament off. Who really cares after this!

I suspect that's Denmark pulled out.

Don't think the whole thing gets called off as I suspect 3rd in their group might get called in.

Not even sure how that would even work but can't see the tournament getting called off, I think that's very difficult to do.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Sorry but it was obvious it was serious. They should have cut coverage a lot sooner than they did. It was terribly insensitive.

2 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Sorry but it was obvious it was serious. They should have cut coverage a lot sooner than they did. It was terribly insensitive.

They cut it at the point the ref and the Fins left the pitch which felt like the appropriate moment.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

I assume the BBC were only ones who kept coverage and every other nation’s tv networks knew exactly what happened instantly and went to their studios

They did in Germany, a good 10 mins before bbc