The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

1 minute ago, GDog07 said:

Keep on seeing these free kick chances just outside their box.

Does make me feel for JWP, knocking those in with no effort at all, all season.

Aren't there free kicks just outside the box that occur in every single professional football match all over the world?

Ward Prowse would have been squad number 25 or so. He was never, ever going to start this match.

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

"Saints web forum experts vindicated" after own player omitted 

You clowns posted over and over how Philips shouldn’t have gone and Prowse was somehow better. Now you’re throwing your toys out of the pram. Mind you, it’ll be prowse for Rice next. 

Just now, CB Fry said:

Aren't there free kicks just outside the box that occur in every single professional football match all over the world?

Ward Prowse would have been squad number 25 or so. He was never, ever going to start this match.

Going by that "logic" why did the numbers 12,15 and 19 starting ?

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Possibly, I don't know if there is a stat for that, I don't have enough time to keep track of every single professional football match all over the world, lucky if I can watch one in a week.

He may not have started, but he'd be a better option than anyone in the current squad for set peices. I am sure, however, that there are teams in many professional football matches all over the world that will be selecting a player in their starting XI solely based on their outstanding set peice ability.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Going by that "logic" why did the numbers 12,15 and 19 starting ?

I meant number 25 as in importance. Harry Kane for example being the first name down. 

As in he wouldn’t have started the fucking game. How about that logic.

Edited by CB Fry

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You clowns posted over and over how Philips shouldn’t have gone and Prowse was somehow better. Now you’re throwing your toys out of the pram. Mind you, it’ll be prowse for Rice next. 

Calm down deary,no one is throwing toys about but you are the nearest to doing so

1 minute ago, GDog07 said:

Possibly, I don't know if there is a stat for that, I don't have enough time to keep track of every single professional football match all over the world, lucky if I can watch one in a week.

He may not have started, but he'd be a better option than anyone in the current squad for set peices. I am sure, however, that there are teams in many professional football matches all over the world that will be selecting a player in their starting XI solely based on their outstanding set peice ability.

Most teams pick their best players.

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Are your pants as moist as mine though?

All in all really good.

He got the team selection correct - Kalvin Phillips was simply excellent and Mings proved me wrong, nicely solid and he will take a lot of confidence from that. Rice solid.

Well done Sterling. Kane barely broke sweat.

Best tournament opening performance I can remember.

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ben White and Kalvin are fit.

Are you saying JWP should have been selected ahead of Harry Maguire?

Obviously not you idiot!!! I wasn't talking about JWP just responding to you saying about picking best players,  however Henderson is barely fit and for that reason should not be in squad.

Hope that makes it clear for you

Solid performance, nice to get off to a win. Phillips was excellent and even Mings looked assured.

Players taking the knee and Raheem Sterling MBE got the winner. Thoughts are with triggered anti-marxist gammon everywhere.

It's coming home....

• Like 3

Tbh I think we were quite average. Didn't create much at all, had a couple of times Croatia were free in the box and shooting and skied it luckily, and Croatia looked awful. Wins a win but if we are going to go far in this tournament we need to do better than that. 

8 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Obviously not you idiot!!! I wasn't talking about JWP just responding to you saying about picking best players,  however Henderson is barely fit and for that reason should not be in squad.

Hope that makes it clear for you

JWP was never, ever, ever going to be picked ahead of Henderson. He couldn't get in ahead of Kalvin and Ben White.

Hope that makes it clear for you.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Not bad from England at all. Shearer, Lampard and Rio getting a bit carried away on how “excellent” we were. Solid. Not much more. V disappointed in Croatia, they looked poor for World Cup finalists.

Progression to 2nd round almost certain after that. Still don’t expect us to get much further than that though.

15 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Not bad from England at all. Shearer, Lampard and Rio getting a bit carried away on how “excellent” we were. Solid. Not much more. V disappointed in Croatia, they looked poor for World Cup finalists.

Progression to 2nd round almost certain after that. Still don’t expect us to get much further than that though.

Indeed. A good solid win. Given our lineup and tactics I couldn't have asked for much more. Not many chances created but it was good enough. Also good to hear some substantial booing despite the threats and PR firms employed to combat it. England fans will not be silenced. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Indeed. A good solid win. Given our lineup and tactics I couldn't have asked for much more. Not many chances created but it was good enough. Also good to hear some substantial booing despite the threats and PR firms employed to combat it. England fans will not be silenced. 

It’s all become a bit of a pantomime. Sky sports new flash on my phone announcing section of the crowd boo England players then drowned out by cheers. All the talk before about it if the message was being diluted before it’s not almost become farcical with everyone falling over each other to tell people how they should respond to the knee, how disgusting it is if your opinion is anything other than the one you’re told to have, then reports on how the crowd did react. 

as for the game good first 20 Mins, solid rather than spectacular. But good to get a win and off the mark. It’s stating the obvious to say tougher tests will await but can only beat what’s in front of you

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

We are waiting for new rule changes that allow player to come on just to take free kicks !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s all become a bit of a pantomime. Sky sports new flash on my phone announcing section of the crowd boo England players then drowned out by cheers. All the talk before about it if the message was being diluted before it’s not almost become farcical with everyone falling over each other to tell people how they should respond to the knee, how disgusting it is if your opinion is anything other than the one you’re told to have, then reports on how the crowd did react. 

as for the game good first 20 Mins, solid rather than spectacular. But good to get a win and off the mark. It’s stating the obvious to say tougher tests will await but can only beat what’s in front of you

It was so quick I didn't hear any booing or much cheering ! Yes I feared a Saints type good start followed by goal out of nowhere for Croatia but a good start to the Euros.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

most of the game was a snore bore, but having had so many heartaches following england, I'll take it for sure. Was moaning before the game that southgate had picked Philips, but he surprised me with a very good performance.

Put James in at LB and move Trippier over to RB please. Walker struggles to make even the most basic of passes.

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why the fuck do we have to put up with this pony about ‘96 that’s on now. No wonder we don’t win fuck all ,a failure to win a poor tournament at home is held as some sort of triumph. Noddy behaviour 

Double negative... so we do win things? 🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

So to recap, Southgate doesn't know what he's doing, Phillips is shit, Mings is shit and Trippier can't play left back. We are truly blessed to have so many experts on the forum.

1 swallow doesn’t make a summer but today they did ok

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why the fuck do we have to put up with this pony about ‘96 that’s on now. 

You don't, you could switch it off, but then you wouldn't have anything to moan about. Actually, scratch that, you'll always find something to moan about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why the fuck do we have to put up with this pony about ‘96 that’s on now. No wonder we don’t win fuck all ,a failure to win a poor tournament at home is held as some sort of triumph. Noddy behaviour 

Sunny weather, Britpop, thriving economy and a good song. We get nostalgic easily.

Italia 90 is often rewritten when everyone hated manager and team until a couple of ok performances then excelled in semi but couldn’t win.

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

Sunny weather, Britpop, thriving economy and a good song. We get nostalgic easily.

Italia 90 is often rewritten when everyone hated manager and team until a couple of ok performances then excelled in semi but couldn’t win.

It was brilliant but you're right: a lot of hype for a tournament where we actually won two games (and one of those was against bloody Scotland).

The 4-1 v Holland was amazing and the whole thing was a great summer. 

The fact that we went through the entire semi final including extra time without Venables making a single substitution is absolutely astonishing to this day. Unthinkable today: unthinkable then really.

Italia 90 was better in that we were up against it and as you say Robson was hated in the press. The Platt goal especially was a fantastic moment to be a young kid watching football. I was that kid.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5