The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

In the old days they always aimed for the top corners because they were unsavable, now it is this stupid game theory guessing game. If you are good enough you do not have to guess which the keeper is going or look like a turnip when you try to cheekily put it down the middle and they just stand there. However not that many people are good enough so it is kind of moot.

4 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

In the old days they always aimed for the top corners because they were unsavable, now it is this stupid game theory guessing game. If you are good enough you do not have to guess which the keeper is going or look like a turnip when you try to cheekily put it down the middle and they just stand there. However not that many people are good enough so it is kind of moot.

It’s definitely a game within a game. I read an article about Le Tiss that said that his tactic was to see which way the keeper was going and he was talented enough to be able to change the angle of his foot at the last second and go left or right. 

• Like 1

I have to say that the Turkey / Wales game was one that I really enjoyed.
Bit 'old school' ie plenty of activity around the box rather than a lot of passing around.
Wales had a couple of top class players with some 'Journeymen' players who provided enthusiasm and dedication.
It also showed that someone as a target man up front provides a different option.
Well done Wales.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I have to say that the Turkey / Wales game was one that I really enjoyed.
Bit 'old school' ie plenty of activity around the box rather than a lot of passing around.
Wales had a couple of top class players with some 'Journeymen' players who provided enthusiasm and dedication.
It also showed that someone as a target man up front provides a different option.
Well done Wales.

Was a very entertaining game. Physical, a bit of handbags, chances, penalty miss etc. Enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toussaint said:

One difference is it seems to take much less time to reach a decision. I have also to agree with others, the refereeing does seem far superior to what we have had to endure.   

That's because the standard of referees are higher. These are the best from their country too. As far VAR being quicker..again...it's what happens when you have dedicated VAR officials who are there to VAR only and not the numpties who haven't got a game this week. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

That's because the standard of referees are higher. These are the best from their country too. As far VAR being quicker..again...it's what happens when you have dedicated VAR officials who are there to VAR only and not the numpties who haven't got a game this week. 

Totally agree that VAR was never the problem, just the way it's been implemented here

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

That, and we have twattish refs that bear grudges. I can just see them thinking “hmm, Grealish called me a wanker in my game last week...no penalty, that’ll teach him!”.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Turkey really have been appalling in both games.

They have been really, really bad. I thought they'd offer a bit more if I'm honest. Certainly at least knockouts.

But they look done and dusted.

Italy look on it again tonight, pretty comfortable against a decent Swiss outfit.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Italy I think are the best unit I’ve seen, the way they break together, press without the ball, work had and create chances is impressive. 

Could win it for sure 

Agree they look impressive and they have that winning mentality about them. To be fair though there are some impressive looking line ups in the tournament for teams that could win it. I wrote Portugal off pre-tournament but then saw their attacking line up of Jota/Bruno Fernandes/Bernardo Silva/Ronaldo backed up by Pepe and Ruben Dias at the back, and a solid keeper in Rui Patricio, and they must be considered possibilities. The Belgium line up also looks great, and that's even before you add in favourites France. Even Germany and Spain could be classed as outside bets despite their opening results. 

Then I look at England and see Stones and Mings in front of Pickford, and I just think we're on a lower level to that lot. I may be surprised, and we do have good attacking players, but I just think the first good team we face and we'll be pummelled.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Italy I think are the best unit I’ve seen, the way they break together, press without the ball, work had and create chances is impressive. 

Could win it for sure 

Yeah I've enjoyed italy these past 2 games think I am gonna hope they win if/as I expect we wont.

The thing I see in a tournaments a lot though the best early team isnt normally the one who will win, normally the winner start shit and improve.

Think we are out as soon as well play germany/france/portugal in the next round but I live in hope.

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Macedonia looking substandard, Ukraine with some quality going forward.

To be honest I think macedonia, austria, netherlands, ukraine, russia, wales are just teams we can hope for some good games.

Dont think they will trouble the better teams.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I think macedonia, austria, netherlands, ukraine, russia, wales are just teams we can hope for some good games.

Dont think they will trouble the better teams.

Ukraine involved in two cracking games so far, will be a shame if they don’t qualify. More good examples of VAR done right in this game too.

1 hour ago, igsey said:

5 penalties awarded across all games so far... only 1 scored!

with the new rules of keepers having to stay on the their line you'd think it would never be easier to net. MLT-Beattie-Sir-Ricky spoiled us.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

That was preposterous. I get that he’s a big star in football but to halt a match to clap seemed a bit, I dunno patronising.   

Competitive grieving is unsavoury at the best of times but when he’s not dead it all just seems a bit sick. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

I’d be happy if McCoist and Tydlesley got every game. Although latter still has ability majorly get on my tits

Christ at least its not  Savage, ITV have it for me this year. That English lady, I think Chelsea boss is quality no nonsense and adding old school curmudgeon Keane. Great crew ITV

7 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Christ at least its not  Savage, ITV have it for me this year. That English lady, I think Chelsea boss is quality no nonsense and adding old school curmudgeon Keane. Great crew ITV

I refuse to watch or listen to anything with Savage on it. Mute button was made for him..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Austria’s defending reminds me of our home game against Spurs. This high line pony and continuing with it at all cost, must be an Austrian thing. 

No it’s a German thing. It started with the Siegfried Line.