The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I see it wasn't quite as straightforward as "the players all agreed to play the game tonight".

It was pretty straightforward. If he hadn’t of been stabilized I seriously doubt either option would have been considered. As it was options presented seem pretty sensible given the schedule and game needing completed.

Glad to read Eriksen seems stable and hopefully on the road to full recovery.

The real concern for me is if a professional,fit,healthy young man,who is monitored every day has a serious health issue what happens to Joe Soap. Particularly as in a significant tournament where they would have the best medical facilities which potentially saved his life. What if that happens to the local lad in the Sunday morning junior league?

42 minutes ago, Red said:

The real concern for me is if a professional,fit,healthy young man,who is monitored every day has a serious health issue what happens to Joe Soap. Particularly as in a significant tournament where they would have the best medical facilities which potentially saved his life. What if that happens to the local lad in the Sunday morning junior league?

It does happen all the time and people die. What's your point? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whelk said:

I assume the BBC were only ones who kept coverage and every other nation’s tv networks knew exactly what happened instantly and went to their studios

BBC control the switchboard to cut back to the studio though. As soon as they started giving him CPR they should have cut to the studio. Indefensible. 

Something I noticed yesterday having driven to Brighton and back was a complete absence cars with England flags flying off them. Barely any flags hanging out of windows or on show anywhere other than in pubs.

Flags are usually everywhere for major tournaments but this time there's nothing.

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Something I noticed yesterday having driven to Brighton and back was a complete absence cars with England flags flying off them. Barely any flags hanging out of windows or on show anywhere other than in pubs.

Flags are usually everywhere for major tournaments but this time there's nothing.

Yeah you are right. Haven’t even noticed any Polish flags draped from Shirley Towers windows

• Haha 1

I agree, it was terrible that the BBC didn't switch back to the studio more quickly.

The other thing I found weird - and bizarre -  was that they used those flags to over the stretcher as they deparetd the pitch. To my mind, this meant for sure that he was dead.

Also, there are no reports yet - are there? - about what actually happened to him? Stroke? Anyeurism? Heart attack?

46 minutes ago, SKD said:

BBC control the switchboard to cut back to the studio though. As soon as they started giving him CPR they should have cut to the studio. Indefensible. 

Yep they had the ability to show or not to show it. The lad looked touch and go, and to show that plus his missus and the other players in understandable distress was gratuitous and insensitive. Poor effort from the BBC and Linekers apology very half arsed. 

9 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I agree, it was terrible that the BBC didn't switch back to the studio more quickly.

The other thing I found weird - and bizarre -  was that they used those flags to over the stretcher as they deparetd the pitch. To my mind, this meant for sure that he was dead.

Also, there are no reports yet - are there? - about what actually happened to him? Stroke? Anyeurism? Heart attack?

The Denmark manager (or a medic on the scene, I forget which) mentioned Heart. He said there was a pulse, then no pulse, heart issue, cpr. 

Edited by egg

11 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I agree there would have been serious shouts for the tournament to be needed, but I very much doubt it would be stopped even if a player died. They may postpone games for a couple of days, but that’s likely about all they’d do. 

Fortunately he didn’t die and hopefully he will be ok but why cancel the whole tournament? People die everyday. As said I expect Denmark would have withdrawn out of respect and players would have worn black armbands. No doubt it would have cast a deep shadow over the rest of the competition but it would have been played out in his honour, I expect. 
Thank goodness it is just conjecture and it is good to hear that he has been stabilised. 
I was listening on TalkSport and that fool Adrian Durham was giving the BBC a hard time over their coverage, yet they continued to cover it themselves continuously despite having run out of things to say. It became embarrassing in the end as there is only so much you can say about a situation in which you have little first hand information. Just as they were saying that the tv coverage should have been curtailed, they probably should have done the same and put on some music or cut to another topic with the occasional update. The guys in the studio were clearly struggling for things to say and were obviously upset. Thankfully things don’t happen like this very often in professional sport but do happen to “normal” people. I knew someone, fit as a fiddle, dropped dead on a running machine in a gym. There is more monitoring in amateur sports but not enough and there are hundreds of people out and about who have potential life threatening underlying health conditions. Again, as said earlier, it is incredible that CE’s condition hasn’t been picked up through monitoring before and it will be interesting to see what the diagnoses is. Leats hope that he makes a full recovery and that this unfortunate episode brings on a greater awareness of the need for greater health screening amongst all people engaging in sporting activities.

8 hours ago, Red said:

Sadly it happens daily, in all walks of life. I knew of someone years and years ago, fit, healthy, just dropped to the floor outside a shop. That was it.

I don't know what you're calling for? change? What could be changed?

When your lucks out your lucks out, all this does is highlight how much of a thin rope we all tread on a daily basis really. No one knows what can happen tomorrow.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

As someone else mentioned, best place to have that sort of medical episode is on a football pitch surrounded by medical staff, defibs and all the required treatment. It looked bleak but they've all saved his life.

I'm amazed the game went on, Denmark were never in the right frame and the game was at such a slow pace. Doesn't feel like the result really mattered in the end though.

The best place after a hospital. It's scary how a professional footballer can go through medicals and play fast, high action games for years without any problems, then suddenly collapse. My eldest son's friend died in the middle of a football match. He was only 14. His poor mother never got over it. Hats off to the medics.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Yep they had the ability to show or not to show it. The lad looked touch and go, and to show that plus his missus and the other players in understandable distress was gratuitous and insensitive. Poor effort from the BBC and Linekers apology very half arsed. 

What was half arsed about it? Should he do the next broadcast in sack cloth?

Special sort of people who want to get angry at the BBC. There’s always Points of View. 

Edited by whelk

1 hour ago, egg said:

I remember watching the Tommy Cooper thing as it happened on the telly as a kid. If I remember rightly it didn’t seem as intense as the crowd were laughing and I think the curtains were pulled over on the stage with his legs sticking out. It just seemed surreal.

In this case players go down injured all the time so it’s a judgment call on how serious it is. It seems a kind of limbo takes over and a bit of rubber necking also. I didn’t see the incident nor do I intend to seek it out but I reckon a fair few will . Human nature I guess.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Funny how all those complaining about how disgraceful the BBC were seem to be able recite, chapter and verse, exactly what was broadcast.

None of you thought of switching off, lads?

I didn’t see it at the time, but have since looked up the BBC coverage and am now outraged. #wanttobeoffended

Well fair play to them I guess for finishing the game, but they should definitely have replayed the match today (thought that before the result). Think someone at the top should have taken the decision off the players shoulders.

I shouldn’t laugh but Hojbjerb clearly fancies himself as a bit of a Henderson.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

6FFADF57-8BE9-4141-9414-D297EDBC695C.jpeg

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Funny how all those complaining about how disgraceful the BBC were seem to be able recite, chapter and verse, exactly what was broadcast.

None of you thought of switching off, lads?

There's all sorts of stuff I'd watch on TV, but i don't think should be broadcast. HTH.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

What was half arsed about it? Should he do the next broadcast in sack cloth?

Special sort of people who want to get angry at the BBC. There’s always Points of View. 

No anger mate, but his blaming the source of the source of the images was poor. BBC decide whether they cut or zoom in on a bloke in a bad way. 

Back in the 70’s I was playing and our coach went to catch a ball, slipped over and didn’t get up. He died on the way to hospital. 39 years old, ex Guardsman and still played the occasional game. A family friend who I had known all my life. Turns out he had a weakness in an artery in his brain which could have caused a haemorrhage at any time of his life. You just don’t know...

Anyway, Trippier at left back and Grealish on the bench? Oh dear.

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Well fair play to them I guess for finishing the game, but they should definitely have replayed the match today (thought that before the result). Think someone at the top should have taken the decision off the players shoulders.

I shouldn’t laugh but Hojbjerb clearly fancies himself as a bit of a Henderson.

I do wonder if Someone like Mourinho would have simply taken it out of their hands and made the decision themselves.

• Like 1

Trippier out of position at LB presumably because he's the only player who can take free kick but we need 2 defensive midfielders stood next to each other while JWP watches from his sofa. 

All makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, egg said:

No anger mate, but his blaming the source of the source of the images was poor. BBC decide whether they cut or zoom in on a bloke in a bad way. 

People make mistakes and people apologise. Witch-hunts are far more popular than they used to be is all i can say.

anyway back to the football, has SKD started knocking one out yet looking forward to these Marxist getting booed and told what we really think of them?

• Like 2

Just now, whelk said:

People make mistakes and people apologise. Witch-hunts are far more popular than they used to be is all i can say.

anyway back to the football, has SKD started knocking one out yet looking forward to these Marxist getting booed and told what we really think of them?

Not yet, give it time. 

#Marxistwatch 

37 minutes ago, whelk said:

That BBC clip of past tournament snippets was quality.

Just reconfirmed what I think right now.

"This batch of players" "young talent" "this time we've got a real chance" etc etc. Heard it all before.

This lot could go out in the group stage and wouldn't surprise me. Tyrone Mings and we can't even field a recognised left back in the first game of the tournament.

Come on England!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Hopefully Lineker is suitably apologetic and contrite at half time

They should switch to the drone aerial shots of the pitch until it is resolved. 

Edited by CB Fry