The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

8 hours ago, suewhistle said:

In other news I see that our dear PM and friends are still deludedly talking about a 2030 World Cup bid, Cressida Dick is happy with the Met's plan for last Sunday and the FA, who have responsibility for staging the event have said sod all..

Careful, you can't possibly criticise the Dame, Aintclever will accuse you of being a sexist homophobe - an accusation that really might break the matrix in this case ;) 

19 hours ago, aintforever said:

You need to catch up fella, even the Tories are starting to understand it now, not sure how obvious they have to make it.

Steve Baker MP:

'We have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee and understand they are not saying defund the police, they are not anti-capitalist.

'What they are doing is saying "we suffer racism"

The knee arguement is over, anyone clinging on to any of the very weak spurious arguments are like Japanese soldiers in the jungle in the 1970's. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

Spot on that. Soggy will have a meltdown when he sees it 🤣🤣

Why would I have a meltdown? This bloke is the Turkish/hypo of Spiked and carries the same level of blind, wilful ignorance. No wonder he is right up your street. Apparently he believes that football fans who hurl racists abuse at players are not racist, just passionate about football. Ok.

If you read his comments about the victims of Jimmy Saville you would realise that using his views to back up an argument is not the best plan if you want to be taken seriously.

Regarding the taking of the knee campaign, it seems to be working amazingly well as far as bringing the people that need educating the most from out of the woodwork and into plain sight.

Oh and by the way, it is possible to have someone on ignore but read their posts occasionally if you chose to. 

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Why would I have a meltdown? This bloke is the Turkish/hypo of Spiked and carries the same level of blind, wilful ignorance. No wonder he is right up your street. Apparently he believes that football fans who hurl racists abuse at players are not racist, just passionate about football. Ok.

If you read his comments about the victims of Jimmy Saville you would realise that using his views to back up an argument is not the best plan if you want to be taken seriously.

Regarding the taking of the knee campaign, it seems to be working amazingly well as far as bringing the people that need educating the most from out of the woodwork and into plain site.

Oh and by the way, it is possible to have someone on ignore but read their posts occasionally if you chose to. 

No where on that article does he say racist fans are just passionate football fans. Although he does talk about a week of hand wringing and fury being motivated by hysteria and not facts. So he’s obviously talking about people like you, guess that’s why you dismiss the article as ignorance. Got to hurt you. 

13 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I know a traditional jig tune called 'Cock up your beaver', which the historians amongst you will understand refers to the tipping of your hat, made from beaver skin.

In other news I see that our dear PM and friends are still deludedly talking about a 2030 World Cup bid, Cressida Dick is happy with the Met's plan for last Sunday and the FA, who have responsibility for staging the event have said sod all..

In further not news to anybody on here it's good to see that Hypo, LD, Turkish and a few others are at least consistent in their views that equality and concern about it are a bad thing.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Is sue the one who lived in Italy once? I’m just amazed she knows what I’m saying as she’s previously boasted on numerous occasions that she’s got me on ignore. 

Being ignored would get right up your nose wouldn't it.   The great parody, sitting somewhere between David Brent and Nigel Farage....sitting on your computer or phone...day after day, month after month, with your half baked cat scratches at any progressive or liberal points of view.    Never mind, you'll soon have your 35k posts up while the rest of us get on with having a life.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Regarding the taking of the knee campaign, it seems to be working amazingly well as far as bringing the people that need educating the most from out of the woodwork and into plain site.

What’s plain site, are they all construction workers?

If you’re going to accuse others of needing education it’s probably a good idea to use plain sight. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s plain site, are they all construction workers?

If you’re going to accuse others of needing education it’s probably a good idea to use plain sight. 

The usual tactic of deflection eh? Let’s deal with a typo and make that the issue. A common tactic used by the far right. But thanks for the heads up and it has now been corrected. Good to see that you can get worked up about something Duckie, perhaps you can work your way up from typos to racial abuse in time 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Being ignored would get right up your nose wouldn't it.   The great parody, sitting somewhere between David Brent and Nigel Farage....sitting on your computer or phone...day after day, month after month, with your half baked cat scratches at any progressive or liberal points of view.    Never mind, you'll soon have your 35k posts up while the rest of us get on with having a life.

Being ignored makes me laugh hugely. Sue for example likes to announce it on regular occasions. Then there are people like always who pretend they’ve got me on ignore but then occasionally let it slip that they’re lying about it by quoting me or commenting on a post. Hilarious that people take this place so seriously that they need to lie about it or repeatedly announce it so no it doesn’t get up my nose, quite the opposite in fact, it’s bloody hilarious

Just now, sadoldgit said:

The usual tactic of deflection eh? Let’s deal with a typo and make that the issue. A common tactic used by the far right. But thanks for the heads up and it has now been corrected. Good to see that you can get worked up about something Duckie, perhaps you can work your way up from typos to racial abuse in time 😉

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 you’ve lost it mate

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Careful, you can't possibly criticise the Dame, Aintclever will accuse you of being a sexist homophobe - an accusation that really might break the matrix in this case ;) 

I'm female, so I'm allowed. 😁 Cressida Dick is a hopeless Commissioner. I read somewhere that she will apply for a second term in the role. She shouldn't get it. On her watch the Met are becoming a politically correct and largely ineffectual police force. Appoint the best person for the job irrespective of colour or gender.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Being ignored makes me laugh hugely. Sue for example likes to announce it on regular occasions. Then there are people like always who pretend they’ve got me on ignore but then occasionally let it slip that they’re lying about it by quoting me or commenting on a post. Hilarious that people take this place so seriously that they need to lie about it or repeatedly announce it so no it doesn’t get up my nose, quite the opposite in fact, it’s bloody hilarious

35k and counting.   Hilarious.

42 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

He is a typochondriac

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Let’s deal with a typo and make that the issue. A common tactic used by the far right.

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 you’ve lost it mate

It's a well known fact that Viktor Orban only managed to seize power in Hungary because of a widespread campaign of correcting people for typing "there" instead of "they're".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I'm female, so I'm allowed. 😁 Cressida Dick is a hopeless Commissioner. I read somewhere that she will apply for a second term in the role. She shouldn't get it. On her watch the Met are becoming a politically correct and largely ineffectual police force. Appoint the best person for the job irrespective of colour or gender.

Best not to make silly offensive comments when obviously you have no idea what she does or how well she does it. 

Reading back over the last few pages and it begs the question is this a prime example of tone deafness? A bunch of white blokes deciding what constitutes racial abuse and then trying to tell the abused how they should or should not  react to it.

😂

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

A bunch of white blokes deciding what constitutes racial abuse and then trying to tell the abused how they should or should not  react to it.

😂

How do you know they’re white? Or even blokes? You’re just feeding your prejudice. Apart from one chick, nobody has posted their gender on the last few pages.

On to your point. Is it only black people that are allowed to define what is and isn’t racist. It appears to me that, in your eyes,  white people can provide they agree with you, an old white bloke. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Reading back over the last few pages and it begs the question is this a prime example of tone deafness? A bunch of white blokes deciding what constitutes racial abuse and then trying to tell the abused how they should or should not  react to it.

😂

Reading back over the past year and you've spent 12 months telling who you assume to be a bunch of white blokes, what is and isn't racist.

How many people of colour have you even spoken to in your entire life to make you such an expert on racism?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

😂

So weird that you can tell the colour of someone's skin just from what they write on a message board. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Reading back over the past year and you've spent 12 months telling who you assume to be a bunch of white blokes, what is and isn't racist.

How many people of colour have you even spoken to in your entire life to make you such an expert on racism?

He certainly doesn’t see any regularly as the town he lives in is 98.5% white. Given he’s retired and we’ve been in lockdown on and off since March you’d assume he hasn’t left there very often recently either. Hilariously he was telling us how we should go and talk to black people to find out what they think of racism when he’s not done it himself but been preaching to everyone for the last 18 months 🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Oops ! .. I thought this thread was supposedly about the Euro 2020 football tournament ...

and the England team's performance under penalty expert Gareth Southgate ...

I'll go away and find another subject .....

In fairness, the media have given the subject of tweets and the mural full attention.  I think it has a knock-on effect.   

19 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You do write some nonsense Weston. When have I ever claimed to be an expert on racism? You don’t have to be an expert to understand that there is a problem with it in this country which needs to be fronted up and dealt with, which is happening. As for this place, do you honestly believe that if there were many black posters on here these threads would develop the way they do? Whenever people post against racism (or Islamophobia for that matter) a small number of you jump all over it like a nasty rash. You might like to ask yourself why you people have such a problem with these issues.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

You do write some nonsense Weston. When have I ever claimed to be an expert on racism? You don’t have to be an expert to understand that there is a problem with it in this country which needs to be fronted up and dealt with, which is happening. As for this place, do you honestly believe that if there were many black posters on here these threads would develop the way they do? Whenever people post against racism (or Islamophobia for that matter) a small number of you jump all over it like a nasty rash. You might like to ask yourself why you people have such a problem with these issues.

It's fascinating how you can tell the colour of someone's skin based on what they post on here. Remarkable. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Edited by egg
Can't be arsed.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Manuel said:

In fairness, the media have given the subject of tweets and the mural full attention.  I think it has a knock-on effect.   

You may have noticed that it is now yesterday’s “news” ! Posters on here quoting click bait internet warriors as proof then ganging up on another poster to abuse them based on recycling crap is the forum standard apparently. I was hoping the mods would have given this thread a mercy killing about 20 pages ago .

Edited by East Kent Saint
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

What would be great is if the government took positive and firm action to help racism. One great idea is to rebalance demographics something like this would work

Small towns with overwhelming white population be asked to vote out 50% of their population by resident vote

evictees given compulsory sale order of their property at 50% value, paid to evictee by government. 

Evictee house given to poor Black families from inner cities allow them the opportunity to live in nice, middle class towns

evictees from small town allocated by government a new property in inner cities with low white populations paid for by sale of their previous home. 

this would be a great way to balance demographics. Given it’s usually the white people in these towns who scream loudest about doing something about racism I doubt they’d even need to be  voted out, most would volunteer to be part of the project. Putting the money and homes where theirs mouths are.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Another one that has lost the thread ……..

What is impressive is the speed in which they jump on anything that remotely speaks out against racism. It’s as though they are a tag team. If one isn’t available another is ready to step in to fight the good fight against anyone having the temerity to speak out against racism. They have got this down to a fine art. As I have said before though, the upside is that these people have outed themselves and their agenda is there for all to see. Here’s a good game for those bored on a hot afternoon. Post something in support of anything anti racist and within minutes I can guarantee that one of 5 people will respond with a counter post.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What is impressive is the speed in which they jump on anything that remotely speaks out against racism. It’s as though they are a tag team. If one isn’t available another is ready to step in to fight the good fight against anyone having the temerity to speak out against racism. They have got this down to a fine art. As I have said before though, the upside is that these people have outed themselves and their agenda is there for all to see. Here’s a good game for those bored on a hot afternoon. Post something in support of anything anti racist and within minutes I can guarantee that one of 5 people will respond with a counter post.

Absolutely mental.

Each and every poster on here has stated that they deplore racism and those caught being racist should have the book thrown at them.

Sadly, that doesn't fit the soggy agenda where he believes there is a strong EDL membership amongst the saintsweb members, so he makes up a load of old pony which he then repeats as often as he can hoping somoene will believe his bullshit.

'Sad' old git seems quite a fitting username!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolutely mental.

Each and every poster on here has stated that they deplore racism and those caught being racist should have the book thrown at them.

Sadly, that doesn't fit the soggy agenda where he believes there is a strong EDL membership amongst the saintsweb members, so he makes up a load of old pony which he then repeats as often as he can hoping somoene will believe his bullshit.

'Sad' old git seems quite a fitting username!

And the winner is! 😂Absolutely priceless!!!

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Confused 5

55 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You don’t half come out with some nonsense but this really is something special

i notice you still haven’t answered when the last time you spoke to a black person was by the way.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bu**er, I saw a post by Turkish because I hadn't logged in.

Yes Turkish, I lived in Italy for a while and sometimes make posts based on my knowledge. But not for a long time. You, on the other hand seem to make the point regularly, just so you can use it as a point to make against me. It might have been amusing once, but it long ago took on the form of bullying, just like your crass reference to me wearing dungarees.

I appreciate you don't like anybody not like you, and you don't like the idea of equality or at least people getting uppity because they have expressed their feelings. You probably don't even like yourself, which is understandable.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Oh no, this is where Turkish tells us all bout his black friend, just to prove he’s not racist. :lol:

Funnily enough the only person who has mentioned I Have black friends on here recently is you. 

3 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Bu**er, I saw a post by Turkish because I hadn't logged in.

Yes Turkish, I lived in Italy for a while and sometimes make posts based on my knowledge. But not for a long time. You, on the other hand seem to make the point regularly, just so you can use it as a point to make against me. It might have been amusing once, but it long ago took on the form of bullying, just like your crass reference to me wearing dungarees.

I appreciate you don't like anybody not like you, and you don't like the idea of equality or at least people getting uppity because they have expressed their feelings. You probably don't even like yourself, which is understandable.

I rarely mention you sue, I know you’ve got a massive ego and think all i do is talk about you but I genuinely can’t remember the last time I posted about your until the other day when you annocued I’d read a post of yours, guess I mean more to you than you do to me. Sorry about that

• Confused 1

Wasn't sure whether to respond on this topic or not as I fully appreciate there are a lot of Wums on here just seeking reaction, but her goes. 

Like most things in life, I believe it is difficult to truly appreciate something unless you have experienced it yourself (walk a mile in my shoes - Emo Philips/Joe South). I am British Asian and consider myself to have done reasonably well, have a profession and great friends and work colleagues - certainly not under privileged.

I also believe most of the UK population are not racist and are well meaning - there are always exceptions as with most things in life. Thing is that we all have biases consciously or otherwise. I have them and will judge people without really knowing them – if he’s that over weight and unhealthy do I want him as my doctor, or if she’s got a load of tattoos, piercings and dresses in leather do I want her minding my kids? etc. etc.

Overt racism is easier to spot and maybe address. It’s the under lying biases that are more of a problem I believe – where people might not even realise they are acting differently because of a difference.

I have been beaten severely three times in the UK because of my colour – randomly attacked by gangs and whilst I gave as good as I could there were just too many. Twice it was in daylight and in the city. Not only did no one intervene but no one called the police/ambulance. Afterwards my friends (not at the event) all sympathised but said “ah well it’s the times we live in, and at still you’re ok”. I wasn’t ok, I was shaken and my confidence was shattered.

By contrast I have also been set upon twice at away grounds for being a Saints supporter, which was not racist, and surprisingly not as vicious as the racist attacks.

I cannot recall the number of times I have been called a Paki (even though I am not), people spitting at or near my direction, being the last one to be served, taxies refusing my fare, etc. etc. This is a daily ongoing issue for most non-white people. I have even had three job applications rejected because “my name would not look right” (I sent CV’s to three companies both with my true name and a made up English name – guess what I was offered an immediate interview for the English name and rejected for other – same job, same company).

Even my boss (who I would consider a really fair guy) recently asked me in a team meeting where I was from, and when I said Southampton, his response was “no where are you really from? That tan’s not from here”

It’s a constant drip drip effect and if at some point people say enough is enough (as per Black Lives Matter organisation – who I don’t not support BTW) is it any wonder? What would you do if 10 times a day, every day someone said your wife was a slag?

I am just trying to offer some perspective from the man walking in the shoes that’s all – no agenda here. Like I said I consider myself privileged as am doing ok and don’t see too much of this. I can’t image what an out of work, homeless black youth is going through.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Red said:

Wasn't sure whether to respond on this topic or not as I fully appreciate there are a lot of Wums on here just seeking reaction, but her goes. 

Like most things in life, I believe it is difficult to truly appreciate something unless you have experienced it yourself (walk a mile in my shoes - Emo Philips/Joe South). I am British Asian and consider myself to have done reasonably well, have a profession and great friends and work colleagues - certainly not under privileged.

I also believe most of the UK population are not racist and are well meaning - there are always exceptions as with most things in life. Thing is that we all have biases consciously or otherwise. I have them and will judge people without really knowing them – if he’s that over weight and unhealthy do I want him as my doctor, or if she’s got a load of tattoos, piercings and dresses in leather do I want her minding my kids? etc. etc.

Overt racism is easier to spot and maybe address. It’s the under lying biases that are more of a problem I believe – where people might not even realise they are acting differently because of a difference.

I have been beaten severely three times in the UK because of my colour – randomly attacked by gangs and whilst I gave as good as I could there were just too many. Twice it was in daylight and in the city. Not only did no one intervene but no one called the police/ambulance. Afterwards my friends (not at the event) all sympathised but said “ah well it’s the times we live in, and at still you’re ok”. I wasn’t ok, I was shaken and my confidence was shattered.

By contrast I have also been set upon twice at away grounds for being a Saints supporter, which was not racist, and surprisingly not as vicious as the racist attacks.

I cannot recall the number of times I have been called a Paki (even though I am not), people spitting at or near my direction, being the last one to be served, taxies refusing my fare, etc. etc. This is a daily ongoing issue for most non-white people. I have even had three job applications rejected because “my name would not look right” (I sent CV’s to three companies both with my true name and a made up English name – guess what I was offered an immediate interview for the English name and rejected for other – same job, same company).

Even my boss (who I would consider a really fair guy) recently asked me in a team meeting where I was from, and when I said Southampton, his response was “no where are you really from? That tan’s not from here”

It’s a constant drip drip effect and if at some point people say enough is enough (as per Black Lives Matter organisation – who I don’t not support BTW) is it any wonder? What would you do if 10 times a day, every day someone said your wife was a slag?

I am just trying to offer some perspective from the man walking in the shoes that’s all – no agenda here. Like I said I consider myself privileged as am doing ok and don’t see too much of this. I can’t image what an out of work, homeless black youth is going through.

Your boss sounds like a fucking moron.

Sorry to hear about the beatings.

Edited by benjii

32 minutes ago, Red said:

I have even had three job applications rejected because “my name would not look right” (I sent CV’s to three companies both with my true name and a made up English name – guess what I was offered an immediate interview for the English name 

So what did you do about these 2 examples? 

Who said your name would not look right, you put speech marks around the quote, so I presume it was word for word. Who said it, and which company received 2 applications exactly the same (and didn’t realise), only offering a job to your English persona. That could well be illegal, so I presume you took it further. A company doing that deserves naming and shaming, who are they? 

As for the second example. I presume you reported the guy. As an employer, anyone talking about sun tans in relation to ethnic minorities who worked for me ,would be thrown out of the organisation. I refuse to believe there’s any  companies that would accept behaviour of this nature in this day and age. Did you report the guy and was he sacked? 

50 minutes ago, Red said:

Thanks for that, that's a helpful insight as to how it is and has been for you. 

Whatever the differences between people on here, its accepted by all poster's (despite what sadoldgit posts) that racism exists and should not exist. 

From your perspective, is the knee in football going to help? What could be done, if anything, to eradicate the issue? What can us white guys do? Genuine questions, and thanks for the post. 

You're boss sounds like a right cock by the way. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Thanks for that, that's a helpful insight as to how it is and has been for you. 

Whatever the differences between people on here, its accepted by all poster's (despite what sadoldgit posts) that racism exists and should not exist. 

From your perspective, is the knee in football going to help? What could be done, if anything, to eradicate the issue? What can us white guys do? Genuine questions, and thanks for the post. 

You're boss sounds like a right cock by the way. 

No idea who the individual is, and of course you might be right, but then again he might not be a "cock" . Alternatively  he might just be from  a different generation. We had someone who retired about five years ago, a genuinely nice bloke and although widely respected within the company and clients alike there was concern over his 'boundaries' of acceptable humour and sometimes phrasing and the like which had moved on from his that more at home in the 1980's. (Not specifically on the topic of race but woman, disabilities etc). 

1 minute ago, Badger said:

No idea who the individual is, and of course you might be right, but then again he might not be a "cock" . Alternatively  he might just be from  a different generation. We had someone who retired about five years ago, a genuinely nice bloke and although widely respected within the company and clients alike there was concern over his 'boundaries' of acceptable humour and sometimes phrasing and the like which had moved on from his that more at home in the 1980's. (Not specifically on the topic of race but woman, disabilities etc). 

The way Red put it I got the impression that it was the question of an idiot, not a badly worded question about Red's heritage from someone raised in a different era. 

Anyways, questions about Red's experiences are questions for Red, although he may want nothing else to do with this thread which would be understandable. 

11 hours ago, Red said:

Good post red and interesting to get your view. Some unfortunate experiences indeed. As others have said despite what some of the loons on here are saying no one denies racism exists or that it needs to be dealt with. 

did anything come of your bosses comment? several years ago in my company we were in a meeting when a very old school, English guy said “he wouldn’t employe any of them” referring to non white people, he was given the opportunity to apologise and retract his comments but didn’t, got reported a fired as a result. 

I recently got rejected for a job for the same reasons as you, the client was Indian and they said they needed someone of Indian heritage for the role, a white English bloke just wouldn’t be the right fit. Despite my experience being perfect for what they need. It happens I guess, I’m not sure any modern company these days would reject someone just because of their race or name. 

Good to hear your views and glad you joined the discussion.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Red said:

That's very sad that you got beaten up. I would say though that isn't a universal experience. My wife is also Asian and has been called a "paki" twice in her life which I would say was racist but otherwise has not encountered any racism like you describe. She's never been beaten up, never been served last, never been spat at or been refused a taxi. She has just been offered a new job from people who were happy to have her and her weird sounding name and if she was asked where she was really from she would reply that she was born in England but her father is from Iraq and think nothing more of it. I'm sure those things do happen but its not something my wife or any of her friends have ever had to deal with and most of them live in Southampton or London. 

Thanks for the post though it was interesting to hear what you had to say and I'm sorry you've had some terrible experiences by the sounds of it. I hope the people involved got their comeuppance. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If certain groups of people in this country are so concerned about racism can I ask why they are focused on the arrest of 5 people in this country for tweeting footballers (not diminishing that the abuse is unacceptable) rather than calling out the deaths and enslavement of people across the world (eg Uighur, prostitution of eastern European girls, etc)? Also why are England’s footballers taking the knee against racism when they are going to play in Qatar’s football stadiums effectively built by quasi immigrant slavery? If said parties were so outspoken in relation to these more fundamental matters of discrimination  I would have much more respect. These are the areas where a difference can more fundamentally be made

Edited by Sir Ralph