The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Just seen this on The Upshot email which is worth signing up for if you like random sporting nonsense you don't always see elsewhere.

Screenshot_20210716-073438.jpg

A prime example of the moronic idiots who send hate messages to black players although in his case his children are being fed by Marcus Rashford's meals scheme. It's all ok though because he was hammered. They think they can be invisible. Name and shame them.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Say it is all a narrative. What is so bad about tackling racism head on, educating children about how to spot racism and why it is wrong and creating a better more harmonious and inclusive country (my country too). 

Why is that upsetting to you?

It’s like the environmental change cartoon joke where someone asks, “what if it’s a hoax, what if we end up making a better world for nothing?”.

It isn't upsetting me, it's people like you and Soggy who try to pretend it does.

As others have said it creates the impression that England is full of racist people constantly abusing people of colour, when in reality it sounds like it's half a dozen (probably) drunken idiots behaving like whoppers on their phones. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It isn't upsetting me, it's people like you and Soggy who try to pretend it does.

As others have said it creates the impression that England is full of racist people constantly abusing people of colour, when in reality it sounds like it's half a dozen (probably) drunken idiots behaving like whoppers on their phones. 

You really don’t get it do you? Half a dozen idiots FFS. Listen to black people. It happens every single day to someone and you think it is half a dozen people affected by alcohol? Seriously?

Isn’t it odd how you try and diminish racism in this country by trying to depict is as carried out by half a dozen people. When I tried to say that we should tar all Muslims as terrorists on other threads I got jumped on by you and those like you for saying that these people were in a small minority! So minorities are only insignificant when it suits your agenda? I see.

You are really doing your best to minimise the problem aren’t you? Is there anything worse than a white guy telling the black people of this country they don’t have a problem with abuse because it is only half a dozen drunken idiots? The abuse dished out to our footballers is just the tip of the ice burg and fortunately most decent normal people understand that and support the attempts to deal with it.

You on the other hand just want to underplay it and pretend it isn’t a problem. Well it is to black people. Not only are you a WUM, you are an embarrassment to the rest of us. Do yourself a favour and go back to your ITK wind up persona, at least that was mildly amusing. This is just ignorant and boorish.

For the last time, of course this country isn’t “full of racists” and none of us have ever said that as well you know. But there are enough of them (and their apologists) to make it a problem that we can’t, and shouldn’t, ignore.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

Also if everyone is so worried about abuse on social media where is the support for Priti Patel following the abuse she has suffered. I can’t imagine why the vocal media types aren’t coming out in support of her. 

She’s the wrong type of minority.

There’s a hierarchy of victimhood and Tories from an ethnic minority background are right at the bottom, just below the Jews. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Ralph said:

The abuse the players received is clearly unacceptable but the media has lost sight of explaining the facts to ensure proportionate consideration in order to maximise their headlines. It gives the impression that vast swathes of the country and football fans are racist - they are definitely not.

Also if everyone is so worried about abuse on social media where is the support for Priti Patel following the abuse she has suffered. I can’t imagine why the vocal media types aren’t coming out in support of her. 

No it doesn’t. I have never heard a report saying that the abuse is being carried out by “vast swathes of the country” and feel free to publish any that do. It is just a ploy by those who are apologising for the poor behaviour carried out by enough of our population frequently enough to make it an issue. Seriously, why wouldnt the news report on the racists abuse especially when there has been a lot of focus on players taking the knee throughout the competition. Why are they doing it? Because there is constant racial abuse not just of players but of many many people who aren’t “one of us” on a daily basis. There is a saying “ignorance is bliss”. In this case ignorance is just ignorance.

27 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You really don’t get it do you? Half a dozen idiots FFS. Listen to black people. It happens every single day to someone and you think it is half a dozen people affected by alcohol? Seriously?

Isn’t it odd how you try and diminish racism in this country by trying to depict is as carried out by half a dozen people. When I tried to say that we should tar all Muslims as terrorists on other threads I got jumped on by you and those like you for saying that these people were in a small minority! So minorities are only insignificant when it suits your agenda? I see.

You are really doing your best to minimise the problem aren’t you? Is there anything worse than a white guy telling the black people of this country they don’t have a problem with abuse because it is only half a dozen drunken idiots? The abuse dished out to our footballers is just the tip of the ice burg and fortunately most decent normal people understand that and support the attempts to deal with it.

You on the other hand just want to underplay it and pretend it isn’t a problem. Well it is to black people. Not only are you a WUM, you are an embarrassment to the rest of us. Do yourself a favour and go back to your ITK wind up persona, at least that was mildly amusing. This is just ignorant and boorish.

For the last time, of course this country isn’t “full of racists” and none of us have ever said that as well you know. But there are enough of them (and their apologists) to make it a problem that we can’t, and shouldn’t, ignore.

Soggy the voice of black people in the UK, tell us what they think live from his quiet sparsely populated middle class town in the south east of England  with its 98.5% white demographic. When was the last time you actually spoke to a black person soggy?!! 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Soggy the voice of black people in the UK, tell us what they think live from his quiet sparsely populated middle class town in the south east of England  with its 98.5% white demographic. When was the last time you actually spoke to a black person soggy?!! 

He probably counts seeing Andy Peters on this morning

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

No it doesn’t. I have never heard a report saying that the abuse is being carried out by “vast swathes of the country” and feel free to publish any that do. It is just a ploy by those who are apologising for the poor behaviour carried out by enough of our population frequently enough to make it an issue. Seriously, why wouldnt the news report on the racists abuse especially when there has been a lot of focus on players taking the knee throughout the competition. Why are they doing it? Because there is constant racial abuse not just of players but of many many people who aren’t “one of us” on a daily basis. There is a saying “ignorance is bliss”. In this case ignorance is just ignorance.

The highlighted part echoes the theme in your threads. There has been zero "apologising" for the racist behaviour on here. None. Nil.

Sadly, you and some others, either refuse to actually read what others are posting, or are choosing to ignore it. 

The point me and others are making is a simple one. There is racism in this country. There has been racism to these footballers. It is unacceptable. It needs to be eradicated. The knee and what we're doing at the moment isn't working. We don't know the solution. It's not hard to grasp if you actually read what's written and get off your high horse. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

The highlighted part echoes the theme in your threads. There has been zero "apologising" for the racist behaviour on here. None. Nil.

Sadly, you and some others, either refuse to actually read what others are posting, or are choosing to ignore it. 

The point me and others are making is a simple one. There is racism in this country. There has been racism to these footballers. It is unacceptable. It needs to be eradicated. The knee and what we're doing at the moment isn't working. We don't know the solution. It's not hard to grasp if you actually read what's written and get off your high horse. 

We are obviously not reading the same posts then. The ones I am reading seem to be playing down the problem. As for taking the knee not working, it is meant to raise awareness which is exactly what it has been doing. You see, being on a high horse let’s you see things better 😉

The issue that I am struggling with and I don’t think it has been address yet is why are people who claim to be against racism either attacking those who are posting against racism and/or trying to minimise the problem in this country?

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Haha 1

Just now, sadoldgit said:

We are obviously not reading the same posts then. The ones I am reading seem to be playing down the problem. As for taking the knee not working, it is meant to raise awareness which is exactly what it has been doing. You see, being on a high horse let’s you see things better 😉

Trying to discuss the scale of the problem is not apologising. You've insinuated that people like me are racism apologists. That's insulting and wrong. Racism is abhorrent, but so is wrongly labelling people. 

We know that there is racism. Normal decent people know that. There is no awareness needed there as the knowledge is present. Racists know that they're wrong, but do you honestly think that we're doing is going to stop them? Really? 

• Like 2

It’s strange how people can’t divorce someone saying that they disagree with racism but at the same time saying that the media response is disproportionate to the issue (which it has, in my opinion, been during lockdown generally). This doesn’t make you a racist or a racist sympathiser. The scarier thing to me, in terms of being able to voice an opinion, is some people can’t tell the difference. Without being able to verbalise rationale points people tend to get frustrated by the issue generally, cue more racism. This is the biggest danger.

Sensible and Factual discussion should always win through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Ralph said:

It’s strange how people can’t divorce someone saying that they disagree with racism but at the same time saying that the media response is disproportionate to the issue (which it has, in my opinion, been during lockdown generally). This doesn’t make you a racist or a racist sympathiser. The scarier thing to me, in terms of being able to voice an opinion, is some people can’t tell the difference. Without being able to verbalise rationale points people tend to get frustrated by the issue generally, cue more racism. This is the biggest danger.

Indeed and the same thing applies to those who aren't a fan of the taking the knee gesture. Perfectly reasonable and rational to believe racism is wrong but not to like that gesture. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Indeed and the same thing applies to those who aren't a fan of the taking the knee gesture. Perfectly reasonable and rational to believe racism is wrong but not to like that gesture. 

Double yep, and nice to read respectful and considered posts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Just seen this on The Upshot email which is worth signing up for if you like random sporting nonsense you don't always see elsewhere.

Screenshot_20210716-073438.jpg

Why does he need the state to feed his kids if he can afford to get hammered...? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Trying to discuss the scale of the problem is not apologising. You've insinuated that people like me are racism apologists. That's insulting and wrong. Racism is abhorrent, but so is wrongly labelling people. 

We know that there is racism. Normal decent people know that. There is no awareness needed there as the knowledge is present. Racists know that they're wrong, but do you honestly think that we're doing is going to stop them? Really? 

I think we have got to the point in this discussion where the main disagreement is over the scale of the response to the racially motivated abuse that has occurred.  Pretty much everyone is entrenched in their viewpoint - You and Hypochondric (to just take two examples) - think that the media response has been disproportionately large and that it creates more divison than it heals.  Some posters - me, Jimmy_D and Sadoldgit (to take 3 examples) - think that actions which hilight this issue raise it in the national consciousness and result in racial actions becoming less acceptable.

My issue is with the bit in bold.  If we know racism exists and racists know that they are in the wrong, then surely it follows that decent members of society have a responsibility to minimise racism.  At the moment that is happening through taking the knee, calling out the Govt etc and the media coverage those acts are generating.  If you feel that is a disproportionate way to address the issue, what think would be more effective that hasn't already been tried i.e. Kick it out? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alanh said:

I think we have got to the point in this discussion where the main disagreement is over the scale of the response to the racially motivated abuse that has occurred.  Pretty much everyone is entrenched in their viewpoint - You and Hypochondric (to just take two examples) - think that the media response has been disproportionately large and that it creates more divison than it heals.  Some posters - me, Jimmy_D and Sadoldgit (to take 3 examples) - think that actions which hilight this issue raise it in the national consciousness and result in racial actions becoming less acceptable.

My issue is with the bit in bold.  If we know racism exists and racists know that they are in the wrong, then surely it follows that decent members of society have a responsibility to minimise racism.  At the moment that is happening through taking the knee, calling out the Govt etc and the media coverage those acts are generating.  If you feel that is a disproportionate way to address the issue, what think would be more effective that hasn't already been tried i.e. Kick it out? 

Taking the knee doesn't help people to know that racism exists. There's never been any disagreement about the existence of racially motivated abuse, it's only ever been about the response and about the taking of the knee. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Taking the knee doesn't help people to know that racism exists. There's never been any disagreement about the existence of racially motivated abuse, it's only ever been about the response and about the taking of the knee. 

Agreed, it's never been about telling people that racism exists, it's about exlicitly hilighting how significant a problem it is in some parts of society.  However it seems to be viewed as an objectionable action.  You have regularly objected to it.  What should we as society do instead?

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You need to catch up fella, even the Tories are starting to understand it now, not sure how obvious they have to make it.

Steve Baker MP:

'We have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee and understand they are not saying defund the police, they are not anti-capitalist.

'What they are doing is saying "we suffer racism"

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Alanh said:

Thanks for the post. 

I'll address just the highlighted parts.

I don't think that the media response has been disproportionate as such. I think it's been misleading. The masses believe that the messages on the mural were racist in nature. That's stoked a fire. People wouldn't have protested at the mural site if it had not been for the media message. Sure, some may say that they may have been protesting over the wider racist issue, but as they chose the mural site I suspect they chose that place as they because of the media message. The press have a duty to present matters factually, not misrepresent and fuel fires. 

I also don't attach the word disproportionate to the second part. Simply, I think the knee isn't working and I fail to see how continuing with it will stop racists being racist. I don't doubt that we need to address the issue, but persisting with something that isn't working isn't the solution. 

Edited by egg

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Thanks for the post. 

I'll address just the highlighted parts.

I don't think that the media response has been disproportionate as such. I think it's been misleading. The masses believe that the messages on the mural were racist in nature. That's stoked a fire. People wouldn't have protested at the mural site if it had not been for the media message. Sure, some may say that they may have been protesting over the wider racist issue, but as they chose the mural site I suspect they chose that place as they because of the media message. The press have a duty to present matters factually, not misrepresent and fuel fires. 

I also don't attach the word disproportionate to the second part. Simply, I think the knee isn't working and I fail to see how continuing with it will stop racists being racist. I don't doubt that we need to address the issue, but persisting with something that isn't working isn't the solution. 

Exactly this.

The biggest issue is the reporting in the media. My personal view is that there is a significant portion of the population that are aware that racism is not as rife as the media would make out (from experience other countries have a much bigger issue than the UK). When people are told that they / the country is racist, it turns them off to the issue, when they arent. In some cases, some people that can’t articulate their views on the matter then make stupid racist comments (I’m not justifying them but stating a possible outcome).

The point about the rashford mural is a good example. It was quoted as being racist when it clearly wasn’t, cue an outpouring of collective media grief. It’s now been confirmed that it wasn’t racist but nobody in the media seems too interested about that.

Edited by Sir Ralph
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You need to catch up fella, even the Tories are starting to understand it now, not sure how obvious they have to make it.

Steve Baker MP:

'We have to get alongside those players who are taking the knee and understand they are not saying defund the police, they are not anti-capitalist.

'What they are doing is saying "we suffer racism"

I didn't say that the players are saying defund the police and that they are anti-capitalist. I've never said that. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I didn't say that the players are saying defund the police and that they are anti-capitalist. I've never said that. 

A genuine question - if, as the players say, they want all fans to join them in the campaign against racism, why don’t they take on board the views of many fans who object to knee bending and link arms instead? This would likely get on board 90% of those objecting to the current kneeling.

Edited by Sir Ralph
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

From 2010 to 2019 the Tories reduced the Police budget by 20% . They are the defunders of the Police ! The point being made is more should be spent on the causes of crime ie underprivileged families etc which would lead to Police budgets being reduced as a result.

Does this mean the players are kneeling for the tories? Mings will be furious when he finds out

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ralph said:

Does this mean the players are kneeling for the tories? Mings will be furious when he finds out

No it means people that were calling BLM out because their slogan which meant redirect money to reduce the need for Police action Were getting hot under the collar about BLM when the Tories had already defunded the Police before their very eyes and they didn’t bat an eyelid ! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

A genuine question - if, as the players say, they want all fans to join them in the campaign against racism, why don’t they take on board the views of many fans who object to knee bending and link arms instead? This would likely get on board 90% of those objecting to the current kneeling.

That's what I've been saying from the start. It's totally intolerant to say that you have to accept this symbol and actively support it or you are just happy for people to be racist. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

No it means people that were calling BLM out because their slogan which meant redirect money to reduce the need for Police action Were getting hot under the collar about BLM when the Tories had already defunded the Police before their very eyes and they didn’t bat an eyelid ! 

Hold on I thought we have been told repeatedly that BLM has nothing to do with the BLM that called for the abolition of the nuclear family and defunding the police? 

Edited by hypochondriac

33 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's what I've been saying from the start. It's totally intolerant to say that you have to accept this symbol and actively support it or you are just happy for people to be racist. 

It's not intolerant to accept the players reasons for making the gesture and not boo them. No one is forcing you to actively do anything.

They are just a bunch of mainly working class, black and white lads getting together to do something about racism, surely it should be applauded regardless of some tenuous link to some obscure political group which pretty much no-one gives a shite about?

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It's not intolerant to accept the players reasons for making the gesture and not boo them. No one is forcing you to actively do anything.

Are we allowed to boo hypocrites?  

You posted earlier this week that there was hypocrisy involved in the gesture. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

They are just a bunch of mainly working class, black and white lads getting together to do something about racism, surely it should be applauded regardless of some tenuous link to some obscure political group which pretty much no-one gives a shite about?

Good because I haven't booed them so we are in agreement with that. I disagree that the gesture is "doing something about racism" as I believe it harms more than it helps and the fact you think the link is tenuous is ridiculous and says more about you and your wilful blindness to be honest but we've discussed that issue a number of times. You're welcome to believe that the link is non existent or tenuous and I'll continue to see the evidence in front of my eyes that the link is clear and obvious and was only distanced by football governance once they realised the controversy. It doesn't really matter anyway as the point being made is that regardless of what you believe the gesture is divisive for a number of people who hate the gesture but don't support racism and it should be changed for something that virtually everyone would support. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/07/16/marcus-rashford-and-the-hysteria-about-racism/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Good article here on the subject. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

More like a load of old bollox . Now the foota is over the attention will move on to us all about to get cov19 if Boris doesn’t row back on lifting all Covid laws on Monday . Lots of people seem to be catching it even after getting 2 jabs.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

A fairly thoughtful summation of mural-gate I think. It will grate on some sensibilities no doubt, but the thrust of the argument is sound IMO. Aside from anything else, I consider Rashford to be a remarkable individual who has triumphed against the odds, although most from his background won't be blessed with such sporting talent, he's shown you can fulfill your potential in this country given the opportunity and with the dedication and belief in yourself. His determination to improve the lives of kids from similar disadvantaged backgrounds should be applauded and should shame our "leaders", no kid in the UK should be going hungry FFS, these are the the real issues. Well done Marcus, and fuck the racist trolls..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

More like a load of old bollox . Now the foota is over the attention will move on to us all about to get cov19 if Boris doesn’t row back on lifting all Covid laws on Monday . Lots of people seem to be catching it even after getting 2 jabs.

Out of interest what did you disagree with?

Stop worrying about Covid, If we can't have freedom with the most vulnerable vaccinated then we truly are f*cked. Full stadiums this season still hopefully, I was at Wembley for the Germany game was wonderful being back in a proper crowd. 

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No, but you have made it abundantly clear that your main objection to taking the knee is that it Is inextricably linked to the specific BLM movement who have in the past advocated those things, and vociferously disagreed when people point out the fallacy of that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Spot on that. Soggy will have a meltdown when he sees it 🤣🤣

Aintclever is currently looking for his seventeenth reverse gear and a way that he can come out of this sitting comfortably on his fence once more.

My guess is he'll claim he never actually said it was racist, he was just repeating what everyone was saying, like a parrott.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trousers said:

leslie nielsen pun GIF

I know a traditional jig tune called 'Cock up your beaver', which the historians amongst you will understand refers to the tipping of your hat, made from beaver skin.

In other news I see that our dear PM and friends are still deludedly talking about a 2030 World Cup bid, Cressida Dick is happy with the Met's plan for last Sunday and the FA, who have responsibility for staging the event have said sod all..

In further not news to anybody on here it's good to see that Hypo, LD, Turkish and a few others are at least consistent in their views that equality and concern about it are a bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I know a traditional jig tune called 'Cock up your beaver', which the historians amongst you will understand refers to the tipping of your hat, made from beaver skin.

In other news I see that our dear PM and friends are still deludedly talking about a 2030 World Cup bid, Cressida Dick is happy with the Met's plan for last Sunday and the FA, who have responsibility for staging the event have said sod all..

In further not news to anybody on here it's good to see that Hypo, LD, Turkish and a few others are at least consistent in their views that equality and concern about it are a bad thing.

Thank goodness sue whistle is here to misrepresent everyone's views again. I'm disappointed though that the post made no mention of playing football or alcohol as I'd come to expect those topics from a sue whistle post. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Thank goodness sue whistle is here to misrepresent everyone's views again. I'm disappointed though that the post made no mention of playing football or alcohol as I'd come to expect those topics from a sue whistle post. 

Is sue the one who lived in Italy once? I’m just amazed she knows what I’m saying as she’s previously boasted on numerous occasions that she’s got me on ignore. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2